IGNORED

Is top 6 realistic this season?

reddogkev

The question is probably phrased in terms of the quality of players.  In which case an outside possibility.  But it is also the job of the coaches to get us there and that is where our major problems lie.  Does anyone seriously think that being one up in opening moments of Saturday's game or even when at 1-1, if Harry had been managing us, we would have come away with no points?

Top 24.

Really I just hope we do the basics properly, win the fixtures we would expect too and be in the next batch above the bottom six.  I predicted 18th at the start, I'm quietly confident we may do a little better but not by much.  I think the whole division will be closer than last season.

Being beaten by a mediocre Brum side, not taking our chances and not defending well enough is no course for confidence - it seems a continuation of what we saw a lot of last season i.e/a hard luck story.  Fair play though, we did dispatch of Barnsley with ease.

There seems to be quite a bit of mis-guided (imv) optimism around, - I don't mind because it means I should clean up in the Prediction League ;) 

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and would break your arm of for 14th!

15 minutes ago, Chivs said:

If we get a decent holding central midfielder with an ounce of pace then we will finish in the top 6 easily.

We won't. And we won't.

I do think this is our main priority as well Chivs. Don't think it will necessary make us top 6 though, but I don't think Korey and O'neil are the answer over the whole of a season.

46 minutes ago, spudski said:

The difference between 17th and 14th and 12th last season, was 4 and 8 points. Less than 3 wins difference in a whole season.

It's mad when you think about it.  A few wins define a season, and whether a manager is any good or not.

I'd like to think, we wouldn't go on a winless streak again.

Are we a squad capable of 5 more wins than last season?

If the answer is yes, then that would put us in comfortably in the top 10.

Obviously a lot depends on injuries, form etc... but if we continue the way we are playing and creating chances, as well as tightening the defence...is 5 extra wins a reality?

I think it possibly is.

Good to see you back, Spud!

We'll need to grind out some narrow wins to get in the top half of the table, let alone higher than that. So it's a no from me.  At the moment I'd characterise our side as enthusiastic and - in LJs words - at times "naive"...needs the grit and determination that I was expecting that G O'N was going to add last season. I don't see that on or off the pitch. Perhaps it will come with experience.

Problem is, whilst the raw quality is there, we are nowhere near streetwise enough. And that goes for both the players and management. We are still naive, lacking in bite and nastiness. When we play well, we can blow away the opposition but its the even games that are the problem because we almost always end up losing them by the odd goal.

Top six sides find a way to win those games when not playing well.. Mid table and bottom half sides find a way to lose after being the better side. We are still the latter at the moment but theres no reason why that can't change with a couple of additions and more experience from our younger players. This year though? Too soon.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, also my view; I am expecting one of the most unexpected, exciting seasons of shocks and twists we've seen for many a year.  Should be true entertainment.

I think what will be interesting also, is that whilst 1 or 2 clubs may fall adrift at the bottom, I can't see any team running away with the title and the promotion race, including all top 6 places, could be the closest for many seasons. 

Possible yes. But about 18 other teams think so too. Of all those deriding - sure no one thought we could achieve it in 07/08 either.  

Likely .... I'd say not. I think we're 2 or 3 quality players away from being there and there are too many stronger teams. But we've shown before that on our day we can outplay the very best sides in the league. I just don't think we're yet at the point where we can have 'our day' consistently enough. 

28 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

You never know. But the squad is not stronger than last year....as of yet. New young players have arrived with no championship experience (or league one stars) this happend last season and what a struggle it turned out. Just got to wait now and see if the squad turns out to be stronger...that will be evident at the end im afraid. I also think the championship is stronger again. Just look at wolves...16mill on a midfielder...mental. 

Which players do you think we've signed this summer that we're League one stars and have no championship experience..?

Baker= Championship experience  

Pisano=Serie A & B experience

Famara=full international and already looks perfectly well equipped for Championship football. 

Eliasson= young & raw, granted, but was attracting interest from Lyon.

Add to them, a host of younger players who now have championship experience from last season and I don't think we are looking weaker than last season. Far from it. 

3 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

To be honest, with the players we've got (and some are good, some average, none excellent), we should be aiming for 12th-14th as a minimum. 

I'm interested that you don't see any of our players as 'excellent'. Of course, it's an entirely subjective concept - one man's excellence is another's average - but I would have said Korey Smith could plausibly be described as excellent by many people's standards. Perhaps excellence in this scenario could be seen as 'good enough to walk into most Champ teams'. I reckon Korey would be able to do that. Other than him, true, excellence is missing. 

Archived