IGNORED

Would Bristol Sport do this?

allyolly

My view on womens football is not likely to be liked.

If I thought for one minute that any money spent on womens football, was at the detriment of our first team/academy/scouting then I would not be happy.

100% agree they should have competitive leagues etc.  But you only have to look at the US Womens national team.  Demanding the same salary as the men.  Its about revenue generation and they have a long way to do to catch up with that.

The standard of goal keeping has to improve massively or else its match fixing.

We never got a TV deal in the Wiltshire and districts Sunday league Division 1.  There is probably a reason for it. Probably the same thought process applies.

You have to have a product.  It has to be saleable.  Equality will only happen when the skills are of equal value.  They are miles apart

Steve

3 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

If I thought for one minute that any money spent on womens football, was at the detriment of our first team/academy/scouting then I would not be happy.

100% agree they should have competitive leagues etc.  But you only have to look at the US Womens national team.  Demanding the same salary as the men.  Its about revenue generation and they have a long way to do to catch up with that.

We never got a TV deal in the Wiltshire and districts Sunday league Division 1.  There is probably a reason for it. Probably the same thought process applies.

You have to have a product.  It has to be saleable.  Equality will only happen when the skills are of equal value.  They are miles apart

Steve

Well said sir...the standard is appalling.

When ladies matches are watched by the same amount of people as mens, then sure. 

Wouldnt be sustainable for us for example to pay our ladies £5k a week on a turnover based on around an 800 attendance and no TV revenue. Would be like Weston paying Championship wages based on their earnings. 

Im sure at Lewes level it's easier to sustain equal pay when the men aren't on paid more than a couple of hundred quid themselves . . . 

my own experience of womens Football is very much restricted to the recent European Championships in Holland.

I discovered that there weren't any snipers stood on top of the stands ready to shoot players as soon as the ghosted past an opponent

There was no will to roll round and round and round and round holding their heads when the original collision was about shin height

apparently there is no need to chase the Referee round and round the pitch disputing every last decison

After the game....no book of unlikely excuses is produced.

I found the whole thing quite refreshing

17 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

my own experience of womens Football is very much restricted to the recent European Championships in Holland.

I discovered that there weren't any snipers stood on top of the stands ready to shoot players as soon as the ghosted past an opponent

There was no will to roll round and round and round and round holding their heads when the original collision was about shin height

apparently there is no need to chase the Referee round and round the pitch disputing every last decison

Watch what happens when a win is worth s £10k bonus and a converted penalty worth £2k goal bonus etc etc! 

Women's football is a perfectly decent sport played by people who train hard and are skillful; I have attended a couple of live games and they were good to watch.

It is not however remotely a professional sport and is unlikely to be such any time soon.

Notes County closed their professional women's team earlier this year because it was costing them £500k a year and bringing in revenue of a whopping £28k.

Lewes FC is run by idiots.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39667392

5 hours ago, allyolly said:

Just to deflect some thinking from the Flint/Fielding/Is it too early for LJ out threads...

A bold move from Lewes FC 

Surely their wage structure is fairly low, have they lowered men's wages to the same as women?  I guess the only way to have parity is reduce men's wages to that of women's…when they say 'equal' pay it doesn't actually specify that all wages will be increased…:dunno:

Bristol City FC's wages come out of Bristol City FC's coffers.

Bristol RFC's wages come out of Bristol RFC's coffers.

Bristol Sport wouldn't be the ones doing it.  It would be Bristol City Womens FC doing it, and quite frankly don't have the sort of turnover that would allow them to do it.

It would quickly end the Womens Premier League as too many teams would go bust, so until the womens game generates the same sort of revenue that mens football does then it's not a sustainable model at the top level.

Steph Houghton, the England captain, is payed 55k a year, that means that the average City womens player would be paid 30k a year I would guess, to increase this to about 300k a year with the same sized crowds and same revenue would make no business sense whatsoever

7 hours ago, allyolly said:

Just to deflect some thinking from the Flint/Fielding/Is it too early for LJ out threads...

Lewes are a relatively small club that is semi pro. By placing the female team on an equal footing with the males they will grow their club. That in essence is what a club is. An opportunity to play sport, in this case football for all. By acting as they have there will be a very very good possibility (they will) that they can access resources from FA' s etc to drive money into their grass roots teams and facilities to provide more opportunity for people to play football and progress .

Well done Lewes.

Mr Lansdown will not be opting to lose tens of millions of pounds on women's football here soon.

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

So what wage would you pay then? You could see all what you have said above at Toolstation level and trust me there are plenty of skilful players there.

So although I don't think salaries should be the same, lets not forget we are a football club, not a football team. That means that we should have a mens first team, a womens first team, a walking football team, youth teams for both genders, fans teams etc etc. Bristol City should be about everyone, not just the XI men on the pitch.

7 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Steve

Although I generally agree with the main parts of your argument, isn't the US women's team a special case as isn't it the case that the women's US football team actually generates either the same or even possibly more revenue than the Mens?

7 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Steve

think you missed a point. at Lewes level football is closer to the wllts league. its community football. clubs like Melksham run teams in the wilts league, western league and have huge kids set ups for girls and boys. seems like Lewes have taken that to a place its logical and are showing that the club is for everybody.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Notes County closed their professional women's team earlier this year because it was costing them £500k a year and bringing in revenue of a whopping £28k.

Missed this earlier. The figure of 28k is hardly believable. What type of revenue was that? Non professional teams revenues are higher than that.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So although I don't think salaries should be the same, lets not forget we are a football club, not a football team. That means that we should have a mens first team, a womens first team, a walking football team, youth teams for both genders, fans teams etc etc. Bristol City should be about everyone, not just the XI men on the pitch.

It all needs to be funded though doesn't it?

There are outlets for every type of football you mention above without involving BCFC.

The academy is slated but at least it does produce the occasional first team squad member.

i'm guessing that for the  vast majority of City fans its all about the first team.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

It all needs to be funded though doesn't it?

There are outlets for every type of football you mention above without involving BCFC.

The academy is slated but at least it does produce the occasional first team squad member.

i'm guessing that for the  vast majority of City fans its all about the first team.

Football clubs are clubs that play football for the benefit of their fans and provide opportunities to play football, for their community. It would be a sorry day when BCFC ceases to involve itself in its community.

Aspects of the FC like the community trust are funded via selling services and providing opportunities to the FC's community. Its a charity having a socio economic prescience, which brings in money that is incremental, but associated with its role in BCFC.

Lewes are reflecting and positioning the club as wholly part of their community and highlighting its not all about one squad and its XI of males.

21 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Football clubs are clubs that play football for the benefit of their fans and provide opportunities to play football, for their community. It would be a sorry day when BCFC ceases to involve itself in its community.

Aspects of the FC like the community trust are funded via selling services and providing opportunities to the FC's community. Its a charity having a socio economic prescience, which brings in money that is incremental, but associated with its role in BCFC.

Lewes are reflecting and positioning the club as wholly part of their community and highlighting its not all about one squad and its XI of males.

Sorry I disagree. Saying the club has an obligation to provide an outlet for people to play football is an insult to the thousands who already play via clubs set up by "ordinary" people. Those thousands are already representing their communities.

Not saying for one moment the club shouldnt involve itself in the community but why set up teams that will not add any value whatsoever, and in the case of girls/womens football, rip the arse out of sides that are trying to get established?

By all means get the players and coaches out into local clubs but if you want to play, then get out there and find a club because there are loads.

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

the average City womens player would be paid 30k a year I would guess

I would think that even that would be far too much.  I can't imagine there's anywhere near that much revenue in the women's game over here to be able to sustainably pay players that.

30 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Sorry I disagree. Saying the club has an obligation to provide an outlet for people to play football is an insult to the thousands who already play via clubs set up by "ordinary" people. Those thousands are already representing their communities.

Not saying for one moment the club shouldnt involve itself in the community but why set up teams that will not add any value whatsoever, and in the case of girls/womens football, rip the arse out of sides that are trying to get established?

By all means get the players and coaches out into local clubs but if you want to play, then get out there and find a club because there are loads.

I am part of one of those clubs set up by ordinary people. I also coach for a charity. 

Bristol City is part of that community and does have associated coaches and scouts within some of these clubs, and provides support and training to junior clubs at a cost via the Community Trust. That synergy should always exist, and broaden.

Bristol City being involved in kids football does not rip the arse out of sides that are trying to get established, or are.  What BCFC do is add to what is there and to state there is loads etc is wrong. Grass roots football struggles through lack of facilities and resources. It is a constant struggle.

The women's team, the kids team, the girls team, the disabilities team reflect what BCFC should grow via the Community trust etc - Football. 

10 hours ago, allyolly said:

If they can pull in the same crowds, revenue and merchandise as the first men's team then absolutely. If not, stay in your pay lane. Supply and demand my brother.

18 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I am part of one of those clubs set up by ordinary people. I also coach for a charity. 

Bristol City is part of that community and does have associated coaches and scouts within some of these clubs, and provides support and training to junior clubs at a cost via the Community Trust. That synergy should always exist, and broaden.

Bristol City being involved in kids football does not rip the arse out of sides that are trying to get established, or are.  What BCFC do is add to what is there and to state there is loads etc is wrong. Grass roots football struggles through lack of facilities and resources. It is a constant struggle.

The women's team, the kids team, the girls team, the disabilities team reflect what BCFC should grow via the Community trust etc - Football. 

There are loads of clubs and anyone who wants a game can find one. What you appeared to be saying earlier is that BCFC should have teams at every level of every sector. That is totally unneccessary in my view.

Agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

There are loads of clubs and anyone who wants a game can find one. What you appeared to be saying earlier is that BCFC should have teams at every level of every sector. That is totally unneccessary in my view.

Agree to disagree.

Numerous clubs yes. Enough opportunity no. There are lots of clubs who struggle. The lack of resources and facilities is for many chronic.

What you appeared to be saying earlier is that BCFC should have teams at every level of every sector. That is totally unneccessary in my view ... And BCFC are although the involvement of the Community Trust via its satellite coaching centres as part of the player pathway has ceased. This where BCFC as a club of the community should be and should look to expand to fulfil where junior Fc's cannot. A model in keeping with the great and not so great FC and sporting clubs in Europe, where fans are not just consumers, they can be participant members in aspects of the FC sporting branches reflective of their ability, disability, age and gender.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Missed this earlier. The figure of 28k is hardly believable. What type of revenue was that? Non professional teams revenues are higher than that.

All revenue: gate money, sponsorship, anticipated prize money. 

It underlines quite how farcical it is to equate men and women's professional football.  There really is no comparison.

You can only pay your salaries out of your revenues which are booger all for the women's game so calls for any kind of pay equality are a nonsense.

Archived