IGNORED

The official Brentford FC v Bristol City FC match day thread

Septic Peg

Good morrow ladies and gents...

Unfortunately, Hav is once again otherwise engaged and has asked me to step into the breech. So my size 8s have made the monumental move into match day thread officialnado.

Today is Brentford (A) and a short trip down the M4 to the place where the streets are paved with gold (allegedly - more likely paved with urine, spit and chewing gum remnants).

Obviously, any London based club is a shithole full of smog and Cockneys, where Pie and Mash or Jellied Eels are elite cuisine and everyone calls everyone else "guvna"... 

Brentford is home to lots of things for the travelling Bristolian. Worth a stop is the Musical Museum. A museum devoted to pianos and organs. @Nicky Morgan's Organ may find something of interest here. Unfortunately, the museum is only open at weekends so if you visit today, just stand outside and sing a rendition of "Pisa Pisa Pisano! Pisano! Pisano! Pisa Pisa Pisano! Pisa Pisano..." (don't forget the accompanying air piano...)

Brentford FC play at Griffin Park (a baby of a ground at just 12,000) and is the only stadia in the country with a pub on each corner (Note; The Royal Oak has been closed since 2015). It takes it's name from the logo of the brewery that used to own the orchard, on which Griffin Park is built. 

STOP PRESS!!!!!! Did this brewery make Cider? My research says no. If they did, I'm sure it would have tasted like piss. No area makes cider like the West Country...

Fun fact... did you know that Bradley Walsh (the fella off The Chase that laughs at rude innuendos) was once a Brentford player? Nope, neither did I.

On to tonight. Brentford are still licking their wounds from the scrappy 3-4 loss to Forest from Saturday and didn't have the best of season starts after losing 1-0 to Champ newbies Sheffield United... 

I'm feeling another draw here although I am being over enthusiastic. Gut feeling is saying a 2-1 loss for us if I'm truthful... 

B&Q are doing tins of Dulux on offer for £4.99 If anyone is interested...

Come on you Purples...

Another odd goal defeat will only prolong the agony?

Come on lads, get a result for a change. Either a win or another PNE thumping.

The first will help LJ to finally begin to settle into the job and the latter will make it easier for SL to review/reorganise our management structure before the January window.

Not going tonight but Brentford is always a good away trip.

Particularly remember Lita's late double and the 3-2 in GJ's first game.

One or two defeats too, but generally it must be one of the better away grounds for City.

Hopefully that w***** Stuart Nelson is well retired by now, he used to get close range merciless stick, but well deserved with the way he used to wind the City fans up and turn round to celebrate a Brentford goal right in our faces.

Not particularly confident about tonight, but rarely boring or uneventful at GP -  fingers crossed another win to remember for those travelling.

10 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morrow ladies and gents...

Unfortunately, Hav is once again otherwise engaged and has asked me to step into the breech. So my size 8s have made the monumental move into match day thread officialnado.

Today is Brentford (A) and a short trip down the M4 to the place where the streets are paved with gold (allegedly - more likely paved with urine, spit and chewing gum remnants).

Obviously, any London based club is a shithole full of smog and Cockneys, where Pie and Mash or Jellied Eels are elite cuisine and everyone calls everyone else "guvna"... 

Brentford is home to lots of things for the travelling Bristolian. Worth a stop is the Musical Museum. A museum devoted to pianos and organs. @Nicky Morgan's Organ may find something of interest here. Unfortunately, the museum is only open at weekends so if you visit today, just stand outside and sing a rendition of "Pisa Pisa Pisano! Pisano! Pisano! Pisa Pisa Pisano! Pisa Pisano..." (don't forget the accompanying air piano...)

Brentford FC play at Griffin Park (a baby of a ground at just 12,000) and is the only stadia in the country with a pub on each corner (Note; The Royal Oak has been closed since 2015). It takes it's name from the logo of the brewery that used to own the orchard, on which Griffin Park is built. 

STOP PRESS!!!!!! Did this brewery make Cider? My research says no. If they did, I'm sure it would have tasted like piss. No area makes cider like the West Country...

Fun fact... did you know that Bradley Walsh (the fella off The Chase that laughs at rude innuendos) was once a Brentford player? Nope, neither did I.

On to tonight. Brentford are still licking their wounds from the scrappy 3-4 loss to Forest from Saturday and didn't have the best of season starts after losing 1-0 to Champ newbies Sheffield United... 

I'm feeling another draw here although I am being over enthusiastic. Gut feeling is saying a 2-1 loss for us if I'm truthful... 

B&Q are doing tins of Dulux on offer for £4.99 If anyone is interested...

Come on you Purples...

Nowt to do with the match but as you mentioned B&Q special offer thought some of our fried chicken munchers might want to know... Miss Millies are running a 'bogoff' at the ... 2 pieces & chips + the same again for £4.45 ... two of us pigged out on four pieces & two chips each last night (Miss M's Whiteladies Rd £8.90... burrrppp!)  :yawn:

Anyway ... :fingerscrossed: for a good match and result tonight .. COYR's

(went with a 2-2 draw in the prediction league btw.... but I guess I'd accept a win and all three points if I really have to .. :)  )

I don't feel to happy about getting a result tonight,  however,  it's about time we had a good result away,  apart from Brighton last season that is. I think it will be a close game and either team can win by the odd goal,  so it may be a draw then.  You see I have covered everything, so just hoping for a good win and COYR's.

34 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I don't feel to happy about getting a result tonight,  however,  it's about time we had a good result away,  apart from Brighton last season that is. I think it will be a close game and either team can win by the odd goal,  so it may be a draw then.  You see I have covered everything, so just hoping for a good win and COYR's.

That Brighton game was the highlight of the season for me, all bigged up as the crowning of the championship champions game.  Champions scarves on sale, flags, big fuss before kick off with streamers and the like, followed by getting the train back with small children in tears, ha ha ha.

(bit evil but I live in Brighton, and I bloody loved it)

I think we need a ******* miracle to get out of there with a point frankly. Can't remember the last time we had a positive result there. They're very, very good too. An enjoyable team to watch. 

If you offered me a point now I'd snap your arm off. 

Would like to see Baker - Wright at the back, Korey and Marlon are gonna get the run around tonight so would like to see an extra man dropped in. 

Big test tonight. A repeat of the shite performance at Griffin Park back in April won't be acceptable.

Problem is you look at Brentford's team and see goals everywhere so got to worry for us at the back. 

Vibe, Watkins, Sawyers, Yennaris, Canos, and in Jota they have the best attacking midfielder in the Championship.

They are iffy at the back though so I'm sure they'll be opportunities for us.

But fancy them to outscore us. By all accounts they've actually been playing well in their opening two games and have been unlucky to lose both.

I'll be there though, hoping for the best. Up the City!

Don't worry, my partner's coming with me tonight, and our record when this happens is:

City 3-1 Wolves, Brighton 0-1 City, City 3-1 Barnsley.

So it's a guaranteed 1-0 win to us. You're welcome.

(I claim 20% of all gambling profits off the back of this insider information, while simultaneously taking no responsibility whatsoever when we lose 4-0 and have 3 players sent off) 

Again, you're welcome.

Think (Hope) it will be a score draw  2 - 2 (?).

We have always goals in us and they also have plenty of interesting options going forward.

Interested to see Jota and also how Canos is developing - as was gutted when we did not land him on a loan a while back as sounded a very decent prospect.

Will be there standing on the terrace - which will make a nice change ...:yes:

It's sunny here in London today.  Sunny and with the threat of an evening in leafy West London at a ground with three pubs on it's corners.  I for one cannot wait to ride over, stand on the terrace and get my first glimpse of Bobby Reid in full flight and then smile all the way home after a 3-1 away win.

Am I right in thinking all of your matchday threads have ended up with us winning Septic Peg? If so will be great if that continues.  

I would be incredibly happy if we did not concede, and basically ground out a boring 0-0 draw with us creating next to no chances.

However, my prediction is that we will set up to win the game, make lots of early chances with a high press and score in the 1st half.  At 1-0 up we will squander lots of great chances, and Brentford will equalize with a daisy cutter of a shot from outside the box,  late in the 1st half or early in the 2nd.  They will then go on the grab the winner in the last ten minutes, probably from a set piece. And LJ will say we were unlucky not to get anything from the game.

Always hoping for a win.

But this is the type of game that we will traditionally lose (playing against a winless team) and if that happens I expect as with Saturday 'ah but they are a good side', an excuse that we cannot continue to hide behind like last season.

My prediction is tending towards a draw but if we lose I fully expect another defeat on Saturday to follow.

Sorry for the negativity but Saturday was a groundhog day moment that even our great leader acknowledges even if some fans don't.

I really hope that we win, I really do it is all I ever want no matter who plays or who is in charge.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Another odd goal defeat will only prolong the agony?

Come on lads, get a result for a change. Either a win or another PNE thumping.

The first will help LJ to finally begin to settle into the job and the latter will make it easier for SL to review/reorganise our management structure before the January window.

Come on CA, surely calling for a loss - even though I understand your reasoning - is never the answer.  Even when I was screaming for LJ's head last season it took that losing streak for me to even entertain the thought. 

I am choosing to be positive. I think the guys will come out fired up, determined to win as they know they should have done on Sat.  LJ also has my total support with the advent of the new season; if he screws up again I naturally reserve the right to change this position.

Archived