IGNORED

The official Brentford FC v Bristol City FC match day thread

Septic Peg

I'm heading to the game after work tonight and can't wait. It's my first game of the season so I'm particularly looking forward to it. 

In terms of predictions, I have absolutely no idea what to expect tonight. The last 2 games I've seen were Brighton away where I expected us to get hammered, and Brum at home where I expected us to win. What I do know is that I'd happily get out of there with a point. 

COYR

Not got a good recent record against Brentford. Really we need to pick up something after the poor (but unlucky) defeat to Brum. I dont think we can really change the team too much and he will keep the same 11 as started at Brum unless Bryan is out injured.  Brentford have started poorly so this may be the best time to play them. I can see goals and would go for  3 - 2 City win. We just need to replicate that 1st half at Brum and cut out those individual and sloppy mistakes. Looking forward to it!  

16 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Am I right in thinking all of your matchday threads have ended up with us winning Septic Peg? If so will be great if that continues.  

This season, correct. I didn't do the Brum game. I also did the friendlies of pre-season including the defeat at Torquay but LJ played the kids so he knew it was going to be a wash out...

42 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

My gut feeling is @Septic Peg has locked @havanatopia in her cupboard like @Dollymarie has done with Flint

I can 100% assure you that if Hav is in a locked cupboard, it is not mine as we are on different continents! 

My personal choice of containment would be an attic anyway...

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Stop press - sources on the interweb suggest the fourth corner pub (the Royal Oak) has very recently reopened.

Closed in 2015 after Enterprise Inns trebled the rent (allegedly). Unheard of (sarcasm emoji here).

WHAT!? I've emailed my Brentford supporting mate to see if this is true.

Damn. Out of office bounce-back.

Any team predictions for tonight?  Will we try to counter the fact that Brentford normally have 60% of the ball at home?

McAllister alluded to changes and I think that has to be the case to ensure freshness for Saturday in a very winnable game.  

4-5-1 I reckon with Reid either deeper than usual in a three man midfield or wide on left or right wing. 

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Any team predictions for tonight?  Will we try to counter the fact that Brentford normally have 60% of the ball at home?

McAllister alluded to changes and I think that has to be the case to ensure freshness for Saturday in a very winnable game.  

4-5-1 I reckon with Reid either deeper than usual in a three man midfield or wide on left or right wing. 

I think it'll be something like this, with Eliasson starting but with less defensive responsibilities. 4-2-3-1? 

It's amazing what difference the result tonight can make to how our start to the season is perceived. 

Win and it will have been a very solid start, averaging 2 points per game (title form usually, over a season)

Draw and it will be a decent start, 4 points from 3 games, with 2 of them being away. 

Lose and it's not a great start (ignoring performances), we'll only be averaging 1 point per game and already playing catch up if we aspire to a top half finish. Almost hanging on our home form as away form continues to be a problem.

Of course, nothing is decided on tonight's result, but it's around now where each teams start to the season begins to take shape.  Teams up the top will falter and teams at the bottom will come good, but it would be great to get as many points on the board as possible during this early season period. 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's amazing what difference the result tonight can make to how our start to the season is perceived. 

Win and it will have been a very solid start, averaging 2 points per game (title form usually, over a season)

Draw and it will be a decent start, 4 points from 3 games, with 2 of them being away. 

Lose and it's not a great start (ignoring performances), we'll only be averaging 1 point per game and already playing catch up if we aspire to a top half finish. Almost hanging on our home form as away form continues to be a problem.

Of course, nothing is decided on tonight's result, but it's around now where each teams start to the season begins to take shape.  Teams up the top will falter and teams at the bottom will come good, but it would be great to get as many points on the board as possible during this early season period. 

Particularly when September is a really challenging run of fixtures.

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

Freshness? We are two ( Plymouth we made a host of changes) into a season? Players should just be getting their fitness fully back, not in need of a bloody rest.

I don't really disagree but Jamie Mac said there will be changes. Hope it's a bluff and we keep same 11 but change shape to have Reid a bit deeper 

I think we'll get a well earned point tonight. We should start well, but whether we will keep up the high pressing, tempo, attacking quality football after half time- perhaps after an hour, remains to be seen.

I know Brentford have started poorly but our record there isn't great- maybe one point can become three if LJ changes the shape and is proactive if or when the momentum starts to shift. A point would be steady I reckon though.

Archived