IGNORED

The Chants Thread (merged)

KnowleUtd City

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure how United spread their chants so well - seems everyone knows them and they've got loads of great ones. 

They probably don't have a "Robbored" slating every post that tries to pass on new lyrics on their fans forum..?!

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

They probably don't have a "Robbored" slating every post that tries to pass on new lyrics on their fans forum..?!

Well, perhaps the mods can change things so that every RR reply on a new chants thread comes up as, :clapping:

4 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Copy.

Copysists.

Not down.

Things move on.

City fans have.

What was accepted is now a ten pager of hand wringing piety on Otib.

A smoke bomb is a hanging offence.

The YSC would just be offence.

That's where things are.

Not really sure what that haiku has to do with atmosphere at AG.

There's a dedicated group of fans at AG that make lots of effort to improve the atmosphere - stickers, flags, songs.. all good stuff.

Maybe it's you that needs to move on and give it a bit more support rather than grumbling about it because it's not exactly the same as the 1980s.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

There's a dedicated group of fans at AG that make lots of effort to improve the atmosphere - stickers, flags, songs.. all good stuff.

Maybe it's you that needs to move on and give it a bit more support rather than grumbling about it because it's not exactly the same as the 1980s.

Unfortunately some "old school" fans think an atmosphere is lacking without bloodshed on crumbling terraces, racist chanting & hurling abuse for 90 minutes. 

There aren't many places left on the planet like that anymore. Strangely, there does happen to be one a few miles north of Ashton Gate..!

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Those chaps are responsible for what you are posting about.

That's its roots.

Somewhere the point of being original, a bit at times .... Well uniquely odd got lost in translation.

You missed the point.

Those days ARE gone.

Don't get vexed.

Bristol City and things move on.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Unfortunately some "old school" fans think an atmosphere is lacking without bloodshed on crumbling terraces, racist chanting & hurling abuse for 90 minutes. 

There aren't many places left on the planet like that anymore. Strangely, there does happen to be one a few miles north of Ashton Gate..!

The atmosphere isn't that bad considering.. we've had huge upheaval at home and sadly during our double winning season (which should've had lots of great atmospheres) AG was a building site with singers pushed into the worst corner.

Despite that, I don't think there's been a better atmosphere recently since Swindon at home in 2015. I think we're far far better than average. On it's day, AG is still one of the most atmospheric grounds in the country in my opinion.

I think this season we'll start to see a better atmosphere consistently - S82 have a home, it's a good spot and will help the noise reverberate around the ground better than before. Add better performances to the mix and AG will be a consistently noisy ground. People should get behind it and stop sniping.

23 minutes ago, KnowleUtd City said:

Listen chap, I haven't composed anything on a forum, it's only a bit of fun, I haven't heard a song about our new striker, the housemartins one is original, fits with his name, and were a band a lot of lads like, if you don't like it fair enough, but why comment? Wind your neck in you miserable old so and so 

I'm far from miserable. I simply don't understand why people invent chants on here when we never ever hear them at AG.

To me it's completely pointless 

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

the ysc are where parts of that you post about came from. some now don't go to football at all, some are in the sixties, fifties others who were also responsible have moved on. got a bit saner or not in the case of one who had great original idres but got himself in a wold of non City trouble and disappeared. maybe things will move around again to being ??? because the ysc EE was a reaction to how stale things were getting the ground over ten years ago but much of it you know is gone the masks and Dandoes in 2017?? not really anymore!!!

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Virtually every chant at every club were developed spontaneously during a match, not composed on a forum ffs....

Do you suppose that were no chants before the Internet? 

While I get this point - and I do, sometimes there can be chants suggested that clearly have been thought of whilst sat on the sofa at home, and thus naturally lack a bit of the energy/crowd mentality (which isn't to say they're bad, just in need of development/adjustment) - I also think there's a bit more to it than that.

First of all, I'm not sure any chants started entirely "spontaneously" with a whole block of people just magically starting the same song at the same time. It will have required at least one person to have thought about it beforehand, at least a little bit, and more than likely involved that person mentioning it to their friends in advance, so that a decent sized group started it during a match which led to others hearing, enjoying, and then joining in with it. For those people, it was spontaneous, admittedly, but that wasn't the genesis of it.

Secondly, it assumes that someone posting a chant on a forum is doing so independently of sharing it with friends in person. In fact, they may have come up with it "spontaneously" with a couple of mates in the stands, but lacked the numbers to get it started and so have used the channels available to attempt to gain traction. No, previous chants won't have been started on the internet, but if it were available then some of them - almost certainly - would've been posted/discussed.

For many, discussing things on the internet (on whatever platform) is much the same as discussing things in a pub. And the fact is that it has a bigger reach than your average group of mates going to a game, so it gives rise to the potential of more inventive chants, not less. How do we know there weren't amazing chants out there that we've never heard because it was only made up by two people, stood in an area where not many people sang, and therefore they didn't feel confident enough to try it "live"? Now, those two people can talk to others who will have the confidence.

Yes, this also means there will be more chants discussed, and therefore we will see more "failed" attempts. But we shouldn't dismiss it outright - creativity is at its best when people feel confident to fail.

You know, or :fastasleep:...

:)

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I hope we come up with something a bit more imaginative than the usual hey Jude and 'do do do do Famara Died-diou'

He's our record signing.. surely worth a better chant than the usual tunes we recycle from Baldock/Maynard/Agard etc

Why is it that clubs like United come up with good chants like this all the time? Unique, catchy and clever.

Manchester United have supporters and fanzines that attempt to be different. These fans distribute their ideas. That has became part of the fan supporting culture.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I hope we come up with something a bit more imaginative than the usual hey Jude and 'do do do do Famara Died-diou'

He's our record signing.. surely worth a better chant than the usual tunes we recycle from Baldock/Maynard/Agard etc

Why is it that clubs like United come up with good chants like this all the time? Unique, catchy and clever.

Because songs like this have more than two lines and they never catch on at City. It's either short & snappy or forget it. I've tried.

5 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

Can we please get rid of the god awful palace song about Johnson taking us to Europe. Embarrassing is an understatement.  Not to mention every other club in the world sings it! How have we became one of those clubs? 

It's pretty funny I thought. Only caught the words yesterday. Clearly a bit post-ironic about that 'europe in 5 years' thing.

Shame it's to that tune though, I was proud we were one of the only clubs that didn't use it.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's pretty funny I thought. Only caught the words yesterday. Clearly a bit post-ironic about that 'europe in 5 years' thing.

Shame it's to that tune though, I was proud we were one of the only clubs that didn't use it.

Totally agree. 

18 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Because songs like this have more than two lines and they never catch on at City. It's either short & snappy or forget it. I've tried.

Don't give up mate. I'll be happy to hear a couple verses of cider submarine again on Saturday!

Archived