IGNORED

Bloody fantastic point!

EmersonsRed

Absolutely no doubt Brentford will be top 8. Moan about the performance all you like, we've gone there, a place where historically we are pathetic and stolen a point. Well done Bobby Reid and well done to all the fans that made the trip down there. Have a safe journey back.

Sorry Johnson boo boys, early night for you. ;)

4 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Absolutely no doubt Brentford will be top 8. Moan about the performance all you like, we've gone there, a place where historically we are pathetic and stolen a point. Well done Bobby Reid and well done to all the fans that made the trip down there. Have a safe journey back.

No chance.

That would be arrogance and complacency in the extreme! There should be a post mortem - the past 2 games Johnson has not been able to effect them positively and led us like lambs. 

It's a great result, but manner is so much more important than ordinary given the past year. If I was MA I'd be asking LJ first thing tomorrow to explain his thoughts and approach in game. 

I want LJ to do well, without help I just can't see it. He's so often outwitted in game, and reverts to the similae reactions without learning from. 

10 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Well we were winning 0-1 so a point is a lucky escape IMO

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

No chance.

That would be arrogance and complacency in the extreme! There should be a post mortem - the past 2 games Johnson has not been able to effect them positively and led us like lambs. 

It's a great result, but manner is so much more important than ordinary given the past year. If I was MA I'd be asking LJ first thing tomorrow to explain his thoughts and approach in game. 

I want LJ to do well, without help I just can't see it. He's so often outwitted in game, and reverts to the similae reactions without learning from. 

We battered Birmingham for large stretches and got nothing. We were poor against Brentford and got a point. It's 3 league games let's just see it play out over the first 8-10 games before we call everyone terrible. He took too long tonight to make changes I think but we got the point in the end which I imagine was the goal after they equalised early. 

We are dreadful away from home and it needs to be rectified quickly. Brentford are a tough side who've been up in the top half the last few seasons who would've been well up for tonight after losing their first two. There will be games like tonight and there will be games like Barnsley. They level out over 46.

I just don't understand the Hoofball. 

I was so looking forward to the neat elaborate one touch and tricks and flicks that everyone was talking about, but it was probably the worst game I've ever seen us play. Everything was just hoofed up top. 

Were they the tactics? Or did the team not do as asked? I just don't get it. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

We battered Birmingham for large stretches and got nothing. We were poor against Brentford and got a point. It's 3 league games let's just see it play out over the first 8-10 games before we call everyone terrible. He took too long tonight to make changes I think but we got the point in the end which I imagine was the goal after they equalised early. 

We are dreadful away from home and it needs to be rectified quickly. Brentford are a tough side who've been up in the top half the last few seasons who would've been well up for tonight after losing their first two. There will be games like tonight and there will be games like Barnsley. They level out over 46.

I agree 're Brum but the point is Harry changed things at half time, Lee couldn't react and didn't and we lost. Lee couldn't and didn't react tonight either. 

It's a theme I think continuing. Given the time to study, he absolutely can put out the right side and tactics. But to me he's incapable of anything than stumbling on the right changes in game. I agree it's early in the season, the problem is to me it just looks like history repeating. It's great to get a last minute equaliser, it's not great that in two games we took the lead we are chasing last minute equalisers. 

Cmon lads.... We were utter shite tonight. Terrible performance. A point is a point but my goodness we got out of jail. Fielding was utter garbage but some majestic saves kept us in it and will take the focus off his dire display. We did nothing at all. Must do better. That said... good teams get points playing ugly.... dont they? 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I just don't understand the Hoofball. 

I was so looking forward to the neat elaborate one touch and tricks and flicks that everyone was talking about, but it was probably the worst game I've ever seen us play. Everything was just hoofed up top. 

Were they the tactics? Or did the team not do as asked? I just don't get it. 

Right on. The most appalling I have seen us play since Ipswich away last year. Garbage. That said we have got a point and 4 points is a fair start to the season. 

Overall the first 3 games is not too bad a return. Results wise I wouldn't say a win over Barnsley and a point at Brentford are too bad.

Should have got a point at Birmingham at worst, how much of the slipup there is down to LJ, or down to players naiveity I don't know. Perhaps a mixture?

@Fordy62 Brentford are an excellent technical side it can happen sometimes- especially when you have 2 in middle.

We certainly need to learn lessons though. Extremely quickly!

1 minute ago, Cotham Brow Red said:

2-2 away to a team we rarely get anything from when playing away. I for one will take that all day. Well done lads.

Too right.....a cracking point and one more than I expected at 7.45pm. Take the positives and move on to Saturday

WELL DONE Bobby.......again!

From what i saw we got outplayed and are lucky to get a point. I would of been happy with a point before kick off so no harm done but we seriously need to look at our formation/tactics when the going gets tough, we hardly had the ball for a hour.

5 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Cmon lads.... We were utter shite tonight. Terrible performance. A point is a point but my goodness we got out of jail. Fielding was utter garbage but some majestic saves kept us in it and will take the focus off his dire display. We did nothing at all. Must do better. That said... good teams get points playing ugly.... dont they? 

No way Fielding was garbage. At least 3 top class stops.If you mean poor kicking, look at the much hyped Bentley, 

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

We've been outplayed and stolen a point. That never would have happened last year so we should look at it as a positive. Thanks to Bobby Reid for saving us from a bunch of Johnson out threads.

Did you watch the game?

We were totally outclassed from the 10th to the 80th minute. Only a mixture of some great saves from FF, staunch defending from Baker & Wright, woeful finishing and lots of luck enabled us to get to HT 1 up. 

Based on that performance, LJ simply HAD to make changes for the second half - he did nothing. All too predictably the 2nd half carried on just like the 1st, still LJ does nothing. We are playing so poorly and naively it's almost unbearable. Then they level, and carry on battering us and still LJ does nothing. Finally he makes some subs and 3 mins later it's 2-1. 

Yes, fantastic that Bobby stole a point for us, BUT that should not paper over this woeful performance. Honestly for those 70 mins between the 10th and the 80th, that was one of the most pathetic, tactically inept displays I have ever seen in 47 years of watching City.  

Johnson OUT!

32 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Agreed. About blinking time we got some luck against Brentford. They are a Good team tho, great point for City regardless of performance.

12 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Yes we were not great and we did use our get out of jail free card....Fielding garbage, really when? He was battered for long periods and made at least three really very good saves that kept us in it.

I agree good teams get points playing ugly, but this was not ugly it was bordering on mediocre to poor. 

All this said, this will act as a catalyst, there is nothing like a late get out of jailer (gaoler for the English Nazi's :laugh:) to get you up. And nothing like Millwall at home to get the crowd up....Well done the boys for never giving up and LJ maybe you will have the luck that deserted you last season this time around, a big slice of it today!! And FF!

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Fordy62 Brentford are an excellent technical side it can happen sometimes- especially when you have 2 in middle.

We certainly need to learn lessons though. Extremely quickly!

So the obvious question is why did we play with two in the middle....did he put another in there when it wasn't working? Someone at the match said he did - in which case he has done what he could. RB commentator constantly talked about two banks of four which suggests he didn't. Although I don't put much store in what they have to say. 

Maybe we need to live with Fortress AG and scrape the odd away point. That would be progress of sorts on last season.

I didn,t go to the game, so didn,t see how poor we seemed to be from the radio commentary.

It was depressing listening to be honest, most of the commentary was about Brentford attacking,

i wondered whether we were actually on the pitch most of the time.

Still a point is a point, but i lost any confidence in city having a good season if they carry on

like this.

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

So the obvious question is why did we play with two in the middle....did he put another in there when it wasn't working? Someone at the match said he did - in which case he has done what he could. RB commentator constantly talked about two banks of four which suggests he didn't. Although I don't put much store in what they have to say. 

Maybe we need to live with Fortress AG and scrape the odd away point. That would be progress of sorts on last season.

I agree, I think the 4-4-2 is flawed as a formation modern age generally even at Championship now.

But even putting aside my personal view on it, I think he was too slow with the subs, the shape shifting.

Even if 4-4-2 is okay in first half, he's surely gotta have realised that the tide had turned and make the appropriate changes at half time or at a push, early in 2nd half.

To be honest... That sounds quite a plausible next few months but I can't really get a feel of how things will pan out yet.

We could surprise... Or we could implode. This League seems less predictable than ever in many ways.

36 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I agree 're Brum but the point is Harry changed things at half time, Lee couldn't react and didn't and we lost. Lee couldn't and didn't react tonight either. 

It's a theme I think continuing. Given the time to study, he absolutely can put out the right side and tactics. But to me he's incapable of anything than stumbling on the right changes in game. I agree it's early in the season, the problem is to me it just looks like history repeating. It's great to get a last minute equaliser, it's not great that in two games we took the lead we are chasing last minute equalisers. 

"Stumbling on the right changes" 

Hahahahaha

So when he makes good calls, that's luck.

But when he makes a bad call, completely his fault.

Make up your mind fella, can't have it both ways! 

52 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Tbf he could do no wrong tactically when he kept us up after SC. I don't know what it is with him. He has good and bad moments. I know no one wants to hear it but he is a young coach and we are probably getting some bumps and bruises while he gets up to speed. I personally think we are a good enough club to attract a higher calibre coach but I don't think LJ is awful.

He has good moments followed by some shockers. It's just so early in the season with the transfer window not even being closed yet. I mean he's been blasted for starting Hegeler over Flint or Baker yet without Hegeler we were at our worst tonight. Lumping balls forward by the sounds of it with Baker and Wright. Point is I think he's still finding his best XI and that's fine 3 games into the season. I think we are a mid table team anyway as it stands and that's where we are so far after 2/3 away from home. Just need the window to close and September to gel and figure it out. If by mid late October it's still a shambles then react, imo. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Tbf he could do no wrong tactically when he kept us up after SC. I don't know what it is with him. He has good and bad moments. I know no one wants to hear it but he is a young coach and we are probably getting some bumps and bruises while he gets up to speed. I personally think we are a good enough club to attract a higher calibre coach but I don't think LJ is awful.

He has good moments followed by some shockers. It's just so early in the season with the transfer window not even being closed yet. I mean he's been blasted for starting Hegeler over Flint or Baker yet without Hegeler we were at our worst tonight. Lumping balls forward by the sounds of it with Baker and Wright. Point is I think he's still finding his best XI and that's fine 3 games into the season. I think we are a mid table team anyway as it stands and that's where we are so far after 2/3 away from home. Just need the window to close and September to gel and figure it out. If by mid late October it's still a shambles then react, imo. 

I agree with a decent chunk of that.

Either seems to be boom or bust, strong spells or disasters with LJ.

Today was a notable and welcome exception- we got battered yet pulled a point out the fire.

Generally agree though I tend to agree- good and bad in equal measure it seems. Seems to swing between extremes anyway.

35 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

"Stumbling on the right changes" 

Hahahahaha

So when he makes good calls, that's luck.

But when he makes a bad call, completely his fault.

Make up your mind fella, can't have it both ways! 

That isn't both ways : / 

You can be crap but lucky, you can be unlucky and crap. But I don't think that is LJ, I think in real time he simply doesn't read the game that well as a manager and probably his sole biggest limitation. There are too many examples over too long a period of taking nil or 1 points from winning positions and not enough points from losing positions. 

He might get better with experience and I hope he does. I don't want to see him sacked at all, but something needs addressing - I wonder some pride swallowing and the right assistant and he won't look back.  To stick our head in the sands to the warning signs of the themes of last year worries me. Yes it's only 3 league games, and our points return is actually good; tonight was a good result and Brum was a very good 45. So there are some big positives. But surrendering early leads in consecutive games and to be scrabbling in the final minutes of each for a point, given last year, is worrying to me. 

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

First para agree wholeheartedly. Some don't acknowledge what he does good and you can sense an agenda. 

As for the second para I'm not entirely convinced about finding the 11. Fair enough there are injuries up top which resulted in a reshuffle, but he knows well all of those defensive and midfield players (except Pisano but he picks himself). In any case for me the 11 isn't the problem, it's tweaking to shut off the space opponents learn to exploit in game. 

Simplist way I can explain is to me it seems many a manager go in to a game with an idea of how it will play out and how to adjust to deal with competing threats. LJ goes in with a 90m plan and is caught on the back foot very swiftly. 

Archived