IGNORED

They're just waiting for it...

SStandUp

The inescapable fact is that a large proportion of the fans don't have much confidence in LJ.  There are several reasons for this:

• He was a marmite player for us and there's some hangover from that
  • Relatively inexperienced when we appointed him
  • Suspicion that he wouldn't have got the job had he not been an ex player
  • The terrible run of form last season coupled with constant tinkering
  • The vast amount of money spent which doesn't yet seem to have offered enough value
  • The management of Tomlin, Engvall and Flint

I'm unconvinced and I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority in this.  That all means that he has a lot of work to do this season and results have to be better.  Nobody's wishing him to fail and fans are more results oriented than anybody including the owner, if we get the results he will earn the confidence.

So far we've played really well against two poor sides, played well for half a game against a decent side and played poorly for 90 minutes against a decent side and mugged them.  It's not surprising that there's a reaction to a poor performance particularly when LJ is "delighted".  Dividing fans up into happy clappers and haters is for people who have an extremely childish way of seeing things, the posts on this forum just reflect that most people can't be bothered to post and only do so when they have a strong opinion.

It's too early to come to any conclusions off the back of the first handful of games so let's see how it goes.

6 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Nobody on here wants Bristol City to fail, surely. 

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Nobody's wishing him to fail

I think there are a few - a real minority though - who would rather the club fail and LJ goes for A) 'the greater good' and B) so they were vindicated in their opinions of him.

Most would rather the club succeed but have concerns with the manager which is fine and totally reasonable.

2 hours ago, tts_city said:

Inconsistency of what exactly ? Are we lumping everyone who has moaned about a match this season together and pretending they all have the same opinions ? I already said FF had a great performance, you also agree we were lucky which is all i said, so whats your point exactly ?

One more thing your analogy doesnt work either as we won the battle of rourkes drift, city didnt last night.

That you don't see the inconsistencies says a lot about you.

As to Rorke's Drift, you appear to be the one with rose tinted glasses on. The British Army didn't win the battle, they defended a position and despite overwhelming odds, did not lose (get slaughtered like at the Battle of Isandlwana earlier).

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

That you don't see the inconsistencies says a lot about you.

As to Rorke's Drift, you appear to be the one with rose tinted glasses on. The British Army didn't win the battle, they defended a position and despite overwhelming odds, did not lose (get slaughtered like at the Battle of Isandlwana earlier).

No now get your facts straight flower his original reply contained the following "We lost undeservedly at Brum not because they were lucky but because we are apparently tactically clueless, a soft touch and mentally weak.. Yet the same people are saying that an undeserved point tonight was just "sheer luck" 

He says there the same people are saying sheer luck who slagged off the brum performance, I havent slagged off the brum performance, so its factual bollox. The fact you wrote "That you don't see the inconsistencies says a lot about you." says alot about you, pedantic ****.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

The inescapable fact is that a large proportion of the fans don't have much confidence in LJ.  There are several reasons for this:

• The vast amount of money spent which doesn't yet seem to have offered enough value

I'm unconvinced and I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority in this.  That all means that he has a lot of work to do this season and results have to be better.  Nobody's wishing him to fail and fans are more results oriented than anybody including the owner, if we get the results he will earn the confidence.

So far we've played really well against two poor sides, played well for half a game against a decent side and played poorly for 90 minutes against a decent side and mugged them.  It's not surprising that there's a reaction to a poor performance particularly when LJ is "delighted".  Dividing fans up into happy clappers and haters is for people who have an extremely childish way of seeing things, the posts on this forum just reflect that most people can't be bothered to post and only do so when they have a strong opinion.

It's too early to come to any conclusions off the back of the first handful of games so let's see how it goes

Well said... Brentford should of smashed us but didn't.. So we're sh1t... We thrashed Barnsley so they must be really sh1t.. Barnsley beat Forest so they must be super sh1t... Forest beat Brentford so they must be.... Hang on that can't be right.

And we're only 3 games into the season.... Far too early to come to any conclusions.

1 hour ago, tts_city said:

No now get your facts straight flower his original reply contained the following "We lost undeservedly at Brum not because they were lucky but because we are apparently tactically clueless, a soft touch and mentally weak.. Yet the same people are saying that an undeserved point tonight was just "sheer luck" 

He says there the same people are saying sheer luck who slagged off the brum performance, I havent slagged off the brum performance, so its factual bollox. The fact you wrote "That you don't see the inconsistencies says a lot about you." says alot about you, pedantic ****.

Facts... I gather you mean points of view?

I gather that you don't like your views challenged, hence the name calling, accusations of pedantry and the condescension. Please tell me to get off my high horse next.

Another day at the OTIB office me thinks.

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

Facts... I gather you mean points of view?

I gather that you don't like your views challenged, hence the name calling, accusations of pedantry and the condescension. Please tell me to get off my high horse next.

Another day at the OTIB office me thinks.

It is a fact that I didnt say what was implied, I said we were lucky to win, you replied with "I don't think it was necessary to go to the match to realise that we were lucky" so you agree, so again whats your point  apart from trying to sound clever ? and you accuse me of condescention when you opened a response with "That you don't see the inconsistencies says a lot about you." perhaps you should "fink" your reply through a bit more this time.

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I've been on this forum a long time and read some proper nonsense over the years, but the belief that Eliasson being on the bench for two games after signing means that he's been forgotten about might just top the lot. 

Not that surprising when you take into account who actually posted it :facepalm:

4 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Neil Warnock. Got to give it to him. Absolute class act at this level. Cardiff fans loving his regime. We should have appointed Neil in 2016. 

Unfortunately not a yes man.  Quite vocal on here for somes dislike of Neil, i don't like they guy but his record is second to none . 

I'm still happy with LJ 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The disgusting abuse he received last season just makes me want him to succeed more.

I really think the mental capacity and reasoning of some of our fans must be dangerously low. Why would anything think it's acceptable to send vile abuse and even death threats to a football manager? He's just a guy trying to do his job - it's a game of football ffs.

Reasoned critique and questioning is fine, but some people really crossed the line last season.

Death threats??..really??..I missed that.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there are a few - a real minority though - who would rather the club fail and LJ goes for A) 'the greater good' and B) so they were vindicated in their opinions of him.

Most would rather the club succeed but have concerns with the manager which is fine and totally reasonable.

And I think that there is many more willing to ignore the similarities already between this and last season and those similarities should sounding alarm bells.

LJ got away with it big time last night, what did he say post Saturday's game "they have got to learn and learn fast" and yes credit for keeping on keeping on but exactly what lessons did it look as though the team had learned yesterday from Saturday?.

15 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

We got outplayed by a team that is realistically better than us, a well established championship team.  When their 2nd went in, social media went into absolute Meltdown, and the Johnson out folk seemed to be clearing their throats (despite us being very impressive this year).

There just seems to be a massive reluctance to like Johnson. Maybe it's because he proved people wrong at the back end of last year and left them red faces? But even when he first joined, there's this uneasy feeling towards Johnson

Personally it's not about liking Lee Johnson or not it's about whether he's up for the job. I saw enough last season to suggest to me that he's not up to the job. As for leaving people with red faces that's a little OTT. We survived by 3 points. Hardly much to crow about considering most of the team are his signings. I would agree with you that the standard social media meltdown and those waiting in the wings at the first sign of a loss to say, "told you so" is sad. He'll have to do a hell of a lot better than surviving by three points to convince me he's up for the job. At present people went off half-cocked after a win against Barnsley and into the extremes after being played off the pitch at Brentford. On the positives we came away with a thoroughly undeserved point. Maybe that's significant.

12 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Death threats??..really??..I missed that.

From LJ himself at the Q&A in Tenerife.

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And I think that there is many more willing to ignore the similarities already between this and last season and those similarities should sounding alarm bells.

LJ got away with it big time last night, what did he say post Saturday's game "they have got to learn and learn fast" and yes credit for keeping on keeping on but exactly what lessons did it look as though the team had learned yesterday from Saturday?.

Not sure about that, I think for the most part people accept there's limitations/concerns with our squad, transfers and coach. Don't think anyone's ignoring anything. 

I think there is a loss of confidence in Johnson that he will find hard to repair with some of the fans. I dont like him because he is not good enough and I saw almost all of the games last season to be entitled to take that view. He got lucky at the end of the season IMO and had I been the owner he would have been sacked without hesitation after the Fulham home game. Having said all that I do want him to succeed and dont want us to keep sacking managers. As long as he is the manager he is supported by me. If he is successful then that is great for him and the club. But, I would say this:

1. If you went along last night take a little look at the resources available to Dean Smith. To suggest or accept that Brentford are better than us is nonsense and that is the root cause of all things Bristol City. We have not as a club, demanded excellence and have accepted mediocrity. Are Burnley, Swansea, Huddersfield, Wigan, Hull, Bournemouth (all PL clubs in recent memory) really that better resourced. The answer is No.  I sense that this mentality within the club is slowly changing for the better. BUT, we should be knocking over these sides like Brentford given the £ and playing resources we have at our disposal. 

2. It was a dire performance which followed a dire second half performance at Brum. Now, the only issue for me is that this is very similar to how we played last season and thus Saturday will be interesting indeed. We have not played consistently good football since SC.  

3. We started last season well if I recall so I dont think anyone should get carried away with our start now. I still dont think LJ knows his best 11 or system. Players have been scapegoated and then jettisoned when the face does not fit.

4. Tactically he talks a good game but he is inept and slow to react. Last night we were being done in midfield 3 vs 2. We had no width. He did not address it at all. Had Andre Gray still been playing for Brentford we would have been done big time and Dean Smith is right - it was one of the most one-sided games ever. To take a point was robbery of the highest order. It is interesting how it gets dressed up as a battling point. It was a lucky point and one we did not deserve on the balance of the game. 

5. Somehow we have allowed ourselves to be light on striking options and this is where my love for LJ really wanes. We sign Engvall for 2 million or so, LJ comes out and praises his form whilst on loan and says he will get the chances. He comes back, looks sharp and scores in pre-season. He is then allowed to go back on loan. WTF is that all about. We then promote a Luton town player (Hinds) into the first team squad who is plainly not ready for Championship football...... He then says Đurić is nearly ready which is why he allowed Engvall to go. He then slips in to his press conference last night that Đurić has had an operation and will be out for 2 months. It is this duplicity that really bothers me (or our medical department want shooting for not detecting a more serious injury.....).

I hope we are successful but I think you can only judge LJ at XMAS. Let's see how we get on. It is too early to be cheering his resurrection from the games I have seen. 

41 minutes ago, tts_city said:

It is a fact that I didnt say what was implied, I said we were lucky to win, you replied with "I don't think it was necessary to go to the match to realise that we were lucky" so you agree, so again whats your point  apart from trying to sound clever ? and you accuse me of condescention when you opened a response with "That you don't see the inconsistencies says a lot about you." perhaps you should "fink" your reply through a bit more this time.

Thanks for your insight and advice.

15 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

No they don't. Barnsley are a raped side, Plymouth made 9 changes, we couldn't react to Brum changes on Saturday, tonight we went awol for almost the entire game....save for Frankie Fielding we would have been absolutely destroyed tonight. All that glistens isn't necessarily gold.

Sometimes it's iron pirite

I generally watch games on TV (when I can find a free stream) in SA.

What I noticed last season seems to be happening again. Here's some observations: 

1. We make daft mistakes in defence - we set up to press, when it's not going well we resort to plan B. Which seems to be, sit back really deep and invite teams onto us. While we do this, let's make sure that we don't have an outlet from the back. So that we give the ball away and invite pressure back onto us. Eventually teams will score, such is the quality of this division.
  2. The gap between rich and poor is now massive. Parachute payments of £70 million odd mean that those who have been relegated can still compete for the best players and pay them their wages. We are a poor club. We don't have the income to support £10m plus players let alone pay their wages. This is reality. We have to hope we have the best young players in the business and that they learn quickly.
  3. Some of the players are not learning. The coach needs to take account of this. It's not good enough to say we're not learning our lessons. We didn't learn them last year either. If players don't learn, they need to be told where to get off. Sure they're young, but haven't they all been playing footy for 15 years? Maybe they're just not the sharpest tacks in the box.
  4. We're either mentally fragile OR the players are exhausted. Maybe both. We shouldn't be making daft mistakes at this level. It costs goals, games and points. If the players are mentally fragile get them the support they need. If they're exhausted we need to build in rest for them. Although running around for 90 mins twice a week seems like childs play to me.
  5. We don't put teams to the knife when on top. 3 goals to the good in the first 45 mins isn't enough for us. We can capitulate at any time. Somehow we have to be more ruthless.

Comment at will...

7 hours ago, Nibor said:

It's too early to come to any conclusions off the back of the first handful of games so let's see how it goes.

Spot on. 100% agreed. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure about that, I think for the most part people accept there's limitations/concerns with our squad, transfers and coach. Don't think anyone's ignoring anything. 

Why threads like this and defensive posts making multiple excuses?.

I want BCFC to improve in all aspects on and off the field and I don't care whether the manager is LJ, Antonio Conte or John Conteh and I do see some improvement but so far nothing that says consistency to me.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Why threads like this and defensive posts making multiple excuses?.

I want BCFC to improve in all aspects on and off the field and I don't care whether the manager is LJ, Antonio Conte or John Conteh and I do see some improvement but so far nothing that says consistency to me.

I don't think those threads are saying 'everything is perfect at Bristol City'; they're disagreeing with people saying everything is terrible and also saying it's far too early to judge for sure.

Archived