IGNORED

Ollie Watkins v Tamara Diedhiou

hoxton casual

19 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Watkins £1.8m v Diedhiou £5.3?

On tonights performance no contest who was the better value. Hope Famara comes good and in his defence he got no decent service.

Are you trying to take the crown for most negative and deluded poster in the history of otib? 

Trying to compare these two strikers shows your complete lack of knowledge of the game and is just another way of trying to attack LJ ! Your basically saying you would have signed Watkins and not deidhuio? 

3/4 games in CALM DOWN.

All I am saying is Watkins very impressive tonight and cost a lot less than Diedhiou. Do you not want posters  to say that when that is what they saw? 

Ok Diedhiou played out of his skin and all the Brentford players were donkeys. Is that better? Woukd anyone like to debate on here or just throw insults?

Ok, I'm gonna get ready for the otib hate machine...here we go...

Famara is no way worth £5m. He looks very poor so far. He is a target man, which is how he was played at Angers,  but for a guy his size he just doesnt impose himself or worry defenders.  He can't play quick passes (always wants four or five touches) and can't seem to hold the ball up in a way that benefits us when we attack.

Sure he has scored a headed goal vs Barnsley,  but most of the time he doesnt seem to win anything in the air.

I'm hoping he is "rusty"  or "adapting to this league" or whatever,  but early signs are he is not Championship quality. Hoping I am wrong and he shows in time he is worth the money, but over the three games I have seen him in so far - no way.  He just doesnt look comfortable out there. 

48 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

Ok, I'm gonna get ready for the otib hate machine...here we go...

Famara is no way worth £5m. He looks very poor so far. He is a target man, which is how he was played at Angers,  but for a guy his size he just doesnt impose himself or worry defenders.  He can't play quick passes (always wants four or five touches) and can't seem to hold the ball up in a way that benefits us when we attack.

Sure he has scored a headed goal vs Barnsley,  but most of the time he doesnt seem to win anything in the air.

I'm hoping he is "rusty"  or "adapting to this league" or whatever,  but early signs are he is not Championship quality. Hoping I am wrong and he shows in time he is worth the money, but over the three games I have seen him in so far - no way.  He just doesnt look comfortable out there. 

No hate coming here! Just don't agree with your post. 

I do think he is more than a target man. See the trickery on Saturday for our first goal. 

It was also said that FD would bring into play more players to score and Bobby Reid is surely a significant beneficiary? 

Still early days. I would prefer to back him with everything we've got to be honest and see where that takes us. 

I do back the fellow, and want him to score and succeed. Would love to hold my hands up in a few months time and say "I was wrong, we've got a good un" but I just can't see it from what I've seen so far.  Cant put my finger on it...he just doesnt look comfortable.  Hoping that changes 

3 games . I remember when kodjia signed. He wasn't that great to begin with. Poor performance from the midfield and front men last night apparently. We've scored 6 league goals in 3 games. I don't think he will get 20 goals. But I think other players will get more goals around him. He does seem to be a 1 half player at the moment. But let's give him time. New club, country, surroundings,league. As for Watkins it's a shame we didn't go /get him 

4 hours ago, Red Ferret said:

I do back the fellow, and want him to score and succeed. Would love to hold my hands up in a few months time and say "I was wrong, we've got a good un" but I just can't see it from what I've seen so far.  Cant put my finger on it...he just doesnt look comfortable.  Hoping that changes 

I see your frustration but the same was said about Paul Cheesley when he was signed from Norwich and he didn't turn out too bad. Needs to be given time and the team also

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think in light of the Đurić injury and the Engvall farce (sending him out on loan when we are so short), we needed both.

With Đurić out it does seem weird Engvall was loaned.

Would obviously love it if Hinds ended up being able to step up, and Lord knows Bobby is doing his best to fill the void, but think it is clear now we need another body in, ideally a big lad.

Just isn't ideal to have an ex-midfielder and kid on the bench when we need to go for a goal (though full credit where it is due to Bobby).

8 minutes ago, westonred said:

Christ its only 4 games gone and its started:  Fam has set up 2 goals and scored 1 Lets give the guy a chance and get off his back. No wonder players are reluctant to come to BCFC when they get slagged off from our own fans 

Who has slagged him off ? Any negativity is on a forum anyway. Nobody was moaning about him last night that he could head. Only support from the fans 

I think it's perfectly reasonable to make the comparison beween the two players based on last night, albeit that it was a sample of just one game. I really don't understand why people get so upset about people debating this kind of stuff. It's a forum and comparing players is a perfectly valid thing to talk about after a game. 

I thought Watkins looked a really good player last night. He was quick, tricky and direct and a thorn in our side all night. Exactly the kind of player we should be after to fit our model. 

Famara, meanwhile, was feeding off the scraps of non existent service, but he did look off the pace. I look forward to watching him at home when we're on the front foot to see what he's really capable of. 

20 minutes ago, samo II said:

With Đurić out it does seem weird Engvall was loaned.

Would obviously love it if Hinds ended up being able to step up, and Lord knows Bobby is doing his best to fill the void, but think it is clear now we need another body in, ideally a big lad.

Just isn't ideal to have an ex-midfielder and kid on the bench when we need to go for a goal (though full credit where it is due to Bobby).

My guess would be that with around £10m spent (!) on the striker, Baker and Eliasson and at present no sign of Flint going to help to balance the books, that it may well end up being the likes of Omar Bogle (cue OTIB meltdown) because we are close to being "spent out".

Not changing my mind on Engvall, I just believe LJ doesn't rate him and so won't give him a chance. On that basis (his view, not mine) he should have sold him back to Sweden then as there obviously was interest. To end up with a midfielder (who has done brilliantly) and an 18 year old making his debut after we took off Diedhiou, is simply shocking planning.

That would also explain the Icelandic keeper coming on trial, another low cost option.

Two very different players.

That said, baffling that we didn't go for Watkins. Seems exactly the sort of player to fit our DNA. I've watched him several times now and he seems to have a bit of everything and he's still young. I'll be shocked if Brentford don't make a massive profit on him. 

I make it 1 goal and 3 assists so far, I know he didn't directly assist the Birmingham goal, but he set it up with the best bit of skill we have seen from him so far. 

New league, new country, new team mates and a lot of pressure because of the price tag, I am struggling to see why this isn't enough for people so far.

I agree with PSR, I think our forwards have done their jobs, if he continues in the same form would get around 15 goals this season which would be a good return for a 'Target Man' type....

I was keen for us to sign Watkins but for whatever reason Johnson didn't fancy him at £1.8m which i find a little odd, as others have mentioned seems exactly the kind of player we should be signing.

7 minutes ago, bristolcity said:

I agree with PSR, I think our forwards have done their jobs, if he continues in the same form would get around 15 goals this season which would be a good return for a 'Target Man' type....

I was keen for us to sign Watkins but for whatever reason Johnson didn't fancy him at £1.8m which i find a little odd, as others have mentioned seems exactly the kind of player we should be signing.

1.8 million wasn't enough , that's why we went for Fammy . 

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My guess would be that with around £10m spent (!) on the striker, Baker and Eliasson and at present no sign of Flint going to help to balance the books, that it may well end up being the likes of Omar Bogle (cue OTIB meltdown) because we are close to being "spent out".

Not changing my mind on Engvall, I just believe LJ doesn't rate him and so won't give him a chance. On that basis (his view, not mine) he should have sold him back to Sweden then as there obviously was interest. To end up with a midfielder (who has done brilliantly) and an 18 year old making his debut after we took off Diedhiou, is simply shocking planning.

That would also explain the Icelandic keeper coming on trial, another low cost option.

That may be a factor, though I must say; I don't begrudge the club holding out for a decent fee for Flint, as it would neither be the worst thing in the world to have him still in the squad, nor set a good precedent to release our players for less than we need.

Diedhiou is still an unknown for me; can't really knock his involvement so far, as three assists/involvements in goals and a goal for himself isn't bad going in this league for a player new to it, but £5 million price tag does mean he'll need to be top-tier to justify that long term.

As for cut price recruitments; I was advocating last year for building a side that would allow our promising young players time to get real league game experience, which I guess is taking place almost by accident with Hinds!

But it is the non-intentional aspect of this that worries me a bit.  Bobby is clearly applying himself wholeheartedly to his new role, and I think you'd find even his greatest detractors would agree he is undroppable at this moment.  But unless Taylor's recovery speeds up tremendously (and he finds the ruthless scoring touch at this level he didn't display last year) or Diedhiou hits form (entirely possible tbf), when Bobby's purple patch does slow, we can't surely be thinking Hinds will be the logical alternative, unless he also blows the bloody doors off in his next few cameos.

Part of me wonders if the like of Vassell and other potential striking targets have maybe ended priced out of our range, and the decision will be made to 'make do' until all our options return either from loans or to fitness around late September through early November?

After that, we have time to assess our need and then January to improve the options we have.  Biggest miss is Đurić, for me; losing Wilbs mean we simply don't have the option to go direct once Famara has tired, and being most of our goals are second phase finishes off rebounds, that will be an issue.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting really that so many people are dead set against Bogle but so in favour of Vassell. Bogle is only just over a year older, has a superior goal scoring record, has actually played at this level and probably available for less than half the price Vassell was.

Archived