IGNORED

Ollie Watkins v Tamara Diedhiou

hoxton casual

9 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

All I am saying is Watkins very impressive tonight and cost a lot less than Diedhiou. Do you not want posters  to say that when that is what they saw? 

Ok Diedhiou played out of his skin and all the Brentford players were donkeys. Is that better? Woukd anyone like to debate on here or just throw insults?

It's fine to critique him - but to actively compare him to Watkins on the basis of one game is a bit unfair.

Of course Diedhiou would be worth more, he was playing in the French top flight and is still pretty young whereas Watkins is only tested in L2.

I really like what I've seen of Famara so far, but the other challenge he's got is adapting to a new country, language, style of football.. these are things that Watkins doesn't have to deal with in the same way. They're also different positions really, Watkins is more of a number 10 type.

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's one game in isolation so barely worth commenting on.

I agree with you entirely, but surely there must be a question mark about the bizarre timing of Engvall's release back to Sweden, Đurić out for sometime, Taylor still not ready and Diedhiou looking way out of his depth last night, is Engvall really that poor?.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with you entirely, but surely there must be a question mark about the bizarre timing of Engvall's release back to Sweden, Đurić out for sometime, Taylor still not ready and Diedhiou looking way out of his depth last night, is Engvall really that poor?.

I can only think we have someone lined up...

Yep that's definitely worth questioning.

We shouldn't be a situation where we've got 5 senior strikers on our books where we're filling the bench with an 18 year old who's never played at the level.

You can't account for injuries to an extent, but it makes the Engvall timing a bit bizarre; I totally understand why we want to loan him back though. Maybe we thought the Vassell thing was a going to happen.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep that's definitely worth questioning.

We shouldn't be a situation where we've got 5 senior strikers on our books where we're filling the bench with an 18 year old who's never played at the level.

You can't account for injuries to an extent, but it makes the Engvall timing a bit bizarre; I totally understand why we want to loan him back though. Maybe we thought the Vassell thing was a going to happen.

In the 21st century modern rivers of money total business called 'professional' football, there is no room for thought, that is unprofessional.

We are trying to put behind us the poor decision making of the past and outwardly trying to appear that we are a more professional outfit, this particular decision doesn't display that image to me.

10 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

All I am saying is Watkins very impressive tonight and cost a lot less than Diedhiou. Do you not want posters  to say that when that is what they saw? 

Ok Diedhiou played out of his skin and all the Brentford players were donkeys. Is that better? Woukd anyone like to debate on here or just throw insults?

Just eff off that's what I really want you to do.

In the 21st century modern rivers of money total business called 'professional' football, there is no room for thought, that is unprofessional.

We are trying to put behind us the poor decision making of the past and outwardly trying to appear that we are a more professional outfit, this particular decision doesn't display that image to me.

Agree - who knows what went on. Either way, we shouldn't be in a situation where our 3 forwards are Hinds (youth player) Diedhiou (new to the country and not totally match fit) and Reid (converted midfielder). Regardless of their form, that's not really rich pickings.

Hope we bring in a forward this week.

You didnt actually read what the posters said did you?

Firstly, they are different players, have different styles.

Secondly Diedhiou has contributed to more goals this season that Watkins- both have scored once*

You have borderline written a player off because of one game. Because one game is the amount of time needed to really get a feel for how good a player, especially one where he had no service at all and still set up a goal

*League data- havent checked cups because Diedhiou didnt play.

8 hours ago, Red Ferret said:

I do back the fellow, and want him to score and succeed. Would love to hold my hands up in a few months time and say "I was wrong, we've got a good un" but I just can't see it from what I've seen so far.  Cant put my finger on it...he just doesnt look comfortable.  Hoping that changes 

I know what you mean, but I dont think we can expect him to be a target man in the Đurić, Wilbs sense, where you can pump balls up to him and expect him to win everything in the air, I don't think he's that type of player, he's best receiving the ball into feet, or being on the end of crosses.  I don't think he will do particularly well at all if we hump balls up to him, but what I think he will do exceptionally well is if the ball is played into feet and the players around him break forward and get beyond him.

That for me is where his strength lies, if we are going to pump balls up to him all season then we really have utterly wasted 5 million quid.

Why not just praise Watkins and not slag off our players then? 

The fact we are still looking for an attacking player suggests that we didn't forego signing Watkins for Diedhiou.

9 hours ago, allyolly said:

No hate coming here! Just don't agree with your post. 

I do think he is more than a target man. See the trickery on Saturday for our first goal. 

It was also said that FD would bring into play more players to score and Bobby Reid is surely a significant beneficiary? 

Still early days. I would prefer to back him with everything we've got to be honest and see where that takes us. 

Same here. Whether he's worth £5 million, I don't know. The market is ridiculously over-inflated of course but we knew that anyway. And it may well be he is not going to prove to be a 20 goal a season man like Kodjia and Abraham. 

But he actually impressed me last night in terms of his work ethic and commitment and I thought he did as well as anyone could last night when he spent most of the game completely isolated an not receiving the ball. A few times actually showed a lot of strength and managed to beat/hold off one or two players only to find there was absolutely no one around him and he wound up losing it as a result. What we learned last night is he is not the type of player you can punt the ball up to and expect to do everything on his own. But I don't necessarily expect him to be. Get fast,. technical players playing up close to him and he could be a real asset. 

59 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I'll caveat this by saying that I wasn't there, but a neutral Sky match report states "Brentford's defence looked brittle every time when tested by live wire striker Famara Diedhiou."

Link here: http://www.skysports.com/football/brentford-vs-bristol-c/374645

I was there and don't disagree with it. It wasn't tested that often though. The other thing is, start of the second half, Famara was all over the pitch, dropping back to make tackles, winning the ball in midfield etc. Obviously the fact he was in that position was a testament to poor service but he worked exceptionally hard but just didn't have the players around him.

Ultimately none of Paterson, Brownhill or - until his late and crucial intervention - Reid managed to get into the game last night. I like all of them as players and don't want to get on their backs - it just wasn't their night and maybe the formation did not work - but there was a gaping hole between Pack and Smith deep in midfield and Famara upfront and that, as much as anything, was why Famara was not as effective as he might have been.

I watched Watkins play around 10 times last season and I dint even think he stood out that much in the Exeter team.  He goes missing in large spells of the game. He is not as skillfull as fam and doesn't have the hold up play. He did score 20 goals but he played he in Exeter team who was very attacking and created load of chances. Exeter fans was a lot more gutted in losing Ethan Ampadu 

I think it's difficult to judge players when as a whole the team was outplayed last night. You could argue that Fielding is world class based on last nights heroics but we all know in reality he's competent enough at this level with some pretty consistent bad stuff too e.g distribution.

We defend and attack as a team. Even if Diedhiou had played a blinder last night if the rest of the team aren't on it, it's unlikely to make a difference. They did what they could last night against some very good football away from home and thankfully held out enough to sramble something out of it. 

In the little we've all seen of Diedhiou so far he looks like he will prove a real handful and he's scored already plus contributed to other goals. 

12 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Woukd

3 hours ago, samo II said:

Is a shame we didn't fancy Watkins if he's now ripping it up at Brentford, but harsh to like-for-like him with Diedhiou - may turn out to be worth every penny; he's starter okay, and plenty of the season to show more.

Who says we didn't fancy him? LJ's recent comments suggest we did.

Perhaps we didn't fancy him "at any price", or he preferred Brentford / London. Who knows.

15 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Watkins £1.8m v Diedhiou £5.3?

On tonights performance no contest who was the better value. Hope Famara comes good and in his defence he got no decent service.

I know you and I are probably in the minority (I'm used to that) but there's no denying what you say.

Pound for pound Watkins looked the better value by a country mile.

12 hours ago, westonred said:

Christ its only 4 games gone and its started:  Fam has set up 2 goals and scored 1 Lets give the guy a chance and get off his back. No wonder players are reluctant to come to BCFC when they get slagged off from our own fans 

No player is reluctant to come here because of OTIB. Unless you know better. 

16 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

3 games . I remember when kodjia signed. He wasn't that great to begin with. Poor performance from the midfield and front men last night apparently. We've scored 6 league goals in 3 games. I don't think he will get 20 goals. But I think other players will get more goals around him. He does seem to be a 1 half player at the moment. But let's give him time. New club, country, surroundings,league. As for Watkins it's a shame we didn't go /get him 

just what we needed watkins target man pacey an cheap

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting really that so many people are dead set against Bogle but so in favour of Vassell. Bogle is only just over a year older, has a superior goal scoring record, has actually played at this level and probably available for less than half the price Vassell was.

I wasn't in favour of either of them!

11 hours ago, Flagon said:

I think it's difficult to judge players when as a whole the team was outplayed last night. You could argue that Fielding is world class based on last nights heroics but we all know in reality he's competent enough at this level with some pretty consistent bad stuff too e.g distribution.

We defend and attack as a team. Even if Diedhiou had played a blinder last night if the rest of the team aren't on it, it's unlikely to make a difference. They did what they could last night against some very good football away from home and thankfully held out enough to sramble something out of it. 

In the little we've all seen of Diedhiou so far he looks like he will prove a real handful and he's scored already plus contributed to other goals. 

Good post.  Looked like an off-night for us and the kind of super-home performance from Brentford.  I'm sure a lot of people thought Ike Ugbo was crap compared to Diedhiou in the first game of the season.  Can't really compare individual performances, but of course fine to debate...it's a forum.

10 hours ago, skinster said:

Hes the next Emile Heskey !!!:P

A very underrated player.  You don't play that many games for England if you're not very good.  I once saw him batter and completely dominate Sol Campbell for Liverpool v Spurs.  You ask Michael Owen who he liked playing alongside for Liverpool and England!  For me, Heskey's downside was his confidence.  Not in his footballing ability, but his inability to play unless he felt he was 100% fit.  On song, he was a very tidy player.

23 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

just what we needed watkins target man pacey an cheap

Where did he play last night.  Transfer market suggests left of a forward three in a 4231.  Commentary suggested he peeled onto Pisano.  Doesn't sound like a target man in the conventional sense.  Happy to be corrected.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn't in favour of either of them!

Good post.  Looked like an off-night for us and the kind of super-home performance from Brentford.  I'm sure a lot of people thought Ike Ugbo was crap compared to Diedhiou in the first game of the season.  Can't really compare individual performances, but of course fine to debate...it's a forum.

A very underrated player.  You don't play that many games for England if you're not very good.  I once saw him batter and completely dominate Sol Campbell for Liverpool v Spurs.  You ask Michael Owen who he liked playing alongside for Liverpool and England!  For me, Heskey's downside was his confidence.  Not in his footballing ability, but his inability to play unless he felt he was 100% fit.  On song, he was a very tidy player.

Where did he play last night.  Transfer market suggests left of a forward three in a 4231.  Commentary suggested he peeled onto Pisano.  Doesn't sound like a target man in the conventional sense.  Happy to be corrected.

No maybe so but did you see who he left on the floor when smashing that header in yes pissano from inside the penalty area

Archived