IGNORED

Official retraction of Saturday's match report

Olé

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

Many thanks @Olé.

After only listening to the game I was hoping for one of your balanced assessments.  Not sure it's what I wanted to read but we did sound truly dreadful and very lucky.

Onwards and, hopefully, upwards.

made grim reading I agree, most worrying is diedhiou hope we haven't bought another "you tube star"

Pretty much agree with everything you've said in this report except for Gary O'Neil. I thought he helped us massively actually getting a foot on the ball near the end and a 5 rating is a bit harsh. Providing his fitness is at the right level i'd start him over Pack.

Also thought Watkins for them was brilliant and looks a real bargain, pretty gutted we didn't sign him tbh.

9 hours ago, Olé said:

To whom it may concern.

On Saturday I became enthralled by the rapid and skilful passing and movement of Bristol City for 45 minutes against the second consecutive poor Championship team we had faced. During that time I became convinced that my football team had turned a corner and were exhibiting attributes that would serve us well for the season ahead.

Today I realise that while we have a more balanced and close knit team, we are no further forward in terms of ability or quality, and in fact the only consistent tactical development exhibited so far compared to the prior season,  is the attacking intent for the first ten minutes of every game. Other than that, it appears the manager is no more capable

It sounds amazing to say it, but today managed to not just invert the injustice at St. Andrews, but by far exceed it in the inappropriate results stakes. We were a non-factor for the vast majority of a one-sided game at Griffin Park, were stretched to the point of breaking, yet emerged with a point which was even less warranted than Birmingham's three. 

I should add that Frankie Fielding, derided so regularly by City fans as not up to our target standard (and on the evidence of another poor day of kicking, with some reason) was actually the difference between us and an absolute thrashing. Ignore Reid's equaliser as pivotal, I lost count of the number of saves Fielding made to keep us in it.

If the first few games of the season had showed progress in our passing and movement, today unfortunately pitted us with a team that is well drilled in those attributes and on a like for like basis, demonstrated that we are nowhere close. Besides our opening goal, we were continually on the back foot, and battered for the best part of 80 minutes.

What is least satisfactory is that the manager, who the club hoped was riding a mini-revival arising from an easy pre-season and weak early opponents, compounded his mishandling of the second half on Saturday, by standing idly by today while we were comprehensively and obviously beaten in central midfield for more than the best part of an hour.

The hallmark of the depths of last season was comically obvious weaknesses and I'm afraid we regressed close to that territory today. Where so far this season Smith and Pack have been the ignition switch for fast pass and move breaks out of midfield, today they were hounded backwards into a seemingly permanent second layer of our defence.

Despite convincingly losing that central midfield battle for most of the game, it took well over an hour for Johnson to do anything about it - even persisting with a formation that put Brownhill and Paterson out wide, regardless that no one was left to feed them. Surely at that point you ask Brownhill to help trying to win central midfield back? Nope.

And when we did change, it was to leave Reid up front on his own. Now if that was a surrender, it was far more appropriate than the inane attacking over-exuberance that followed the Harry Redknapp adjustments on Saturday, but regardless, with all the money we spend, to have got into a position with zero backup target man is more than concerning.

It all started so well. But then that's the only consistent so far this season, and perhaps it's provided more reassurance than was justified. We piled forward and following a mistake like Saturday, Diedhiou rolled his marker and broke in on goal before the ball found its way to Brownhill, who swept it into the far corner. City ahead early again and buzzing.

Sadly, it would be another 90 minutes before City would really stretch the opposition defence again. Far from being a platform to push on, we surrendered the initiative as Brentford poured forward with sharper passing and movement. The only consolation first half was we finally got to see our defence, which marshalled Vibe and Jota incredibly well.

In my mind the story would be the turn of the City defence to shine, but even with Smith and Pack dropping back to contribute, it would require a succession of saves from Fielding - and the woodwork - to keep City ahead at half time. The number of crosses arising from their left, where Pisano seemed largely off the pace, was a particular concern.

Given half time to do something about 30 minutes of one sided football, we changed nothing. Within 10 minutes of the restart, Brentford were level. By now Smith - who was literally everywhere - and Pack, were effectively an extra line of defence. No matter, because their first decent cross from their right, instead asked Pisano to win in the air. He failed.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to Griffin Park and seen them get the ball out wide and cross in and beat our defenders, but yet again we stood off the opponent and allowed the cross, and then Pisano, a welcome mat for crosses in the first half, was instead asked to win in the air one on one at the far post, yet unfortunately came up short.

Fielding would go on to make another sensational save (from Jota), before Johnson belatedly reacted to the onslaught by withdrawing Diedhiou (who topped Saturday's anonymous after 60 minutes performance with today's anonymous after 15 minutes) and Brownhill, to leave Reid an unusual solo striker, and bring O'Neil into midfield and O'Dowda out wide.

I can't argue with adding O'Neil to the fray and we got a little more stability in the middle, but truthfully a) we were already completely overrun through the middle and b) leaving just Reid up front gave us even less outlet than we had had previously. So the effect was not significant and we certainly didn't turn the flow of what was already a one sided game.

Within five minutes Brentford deservedly went in front too. They knocked the ball around the edge of the box, no one got close enough to cut it out, and their man curled it into the corner. It had been coming and it has to be said that it was hard to argue with it. There was still time for them to force more saves from Fielding - we were slipping away grimly.

With no other options we added Hinds up front (for Pack) and tried largely unsuccessfully to bundle the ball upfield. Following a prolonged injury to a Brentford player,  the closest we'd come is a miscued clearance with the keeper off his line, whipped back in on goal from long distance by O'Dowda, but ultimately headed clear just in front of the line.

Then, at the death, a twist. As City piled forward, two clear shouts for a penalty for handling in the box by defenders clearing - the second resulting from a desperate Baker shot with the last kick of the game. It was a good shout but the referee (excellent throughout) kept the game going and in the extra seconds, the keeper raced out to claim and Reid tapped in.

Delirium in the away end. It was - after the long injury - literally the death: 8 minutes after the 90th, and in the context of the game, completely unwarranted and a total mugging. I did not speak to a single fan who felt we had done anything other than got out of jail: a scarcely deserved equaliser, in a match we only competed in the first and final 5 of 100 minutes.

For that to be the case only 3 league games in, albeit against a decent and specifically counter-acting footballing team (Brentford are masters of pass and move at speed) should be a concern, but even more than that, the manner of Johnson's inability to compete tactically is the real worry from the past two away games. Some of the failings are all still there.

On Saturday we quite obviously didn't have a Plan B, a criticism thrown at the manager a number of times last season. Today not only did we not have a Plan B, but our Plan A fell to pieces quickly too. In both cases we surrendered not just the lead, but the match and all visible momentum. The only shard of light was our five minute hustle for an equaliser.

The optimism from Saturday may have to be re-assessed. The glowing references in my prior report certainly warrant retraction!

Fielding 9 Kicking is still shocking, but without his saves we would have lost 5-1 or more. Kept us in the game - no other way to describe it.

Pisano 5 Has the engine to get up and down but positioning and ability to win the ball all suspect. Far too many crosses from his side first half, and beaten in the air for the equaliser.

Bryan 6 Regressing to the Bryan at Griffin Park last season. Moments in the first half where he totally abandoned the player he was marking allowing them a free shot on goal.

Wright 7 The best of a poor defence. Got stuck in wherever he could and won a number of balls when it felt like Sawyers, Jota and Vibe were slicing our defence open.

Baker 6 I thought Hegeler won a number of first balls on Saturday and was unlucky to be dropped. Don't think Baker did nearly enough to attack crosses into the box for us to celebrate his inclusion just yet.

Smith 8 Fielding was a clear MoM for us, but Smith was our best outfield player by some distance. Ran himself into the ground chasing everything. Sadly mostly defensively but right to the end he was trying to get himself forward, we don't have many players who give everything in spite of the challenge.

Pack 6 Forced into an almost entirely defensive role and didn't have the speed or engine to offer anything other than that. To compound that could have done better for their second goal.

Brownhill 6 Good finish for the goal, and not really his fault, but little point him being out on the wing when we're overrun in central midfield and not even close to being able to get the ball played forward and into him. More Johnson's fault than his, but hard to see his value when he's so outside of the action.

Paterson 5 The rub on this guy is that he is inconsistent and I'm afraid here we are again. After a couple of bright games, nowhere near the quality or strength needed and I would wager will lose his place to O'Dowda for Saturday who at least affects the game.

Reid 7 Still working his proverbials off, had little or no service and a virtually non-existent target man alongside him, but he chased causes to both flanks all game for 98 minutes, and was ready to claim that equaliser. Hard to argue that he is our best player this season by some distance. The guy is on fire.

Diedhiou 5 Worrying that he is not getting into games. Was always a project and going to be raw but for over £5m I would expect us to have got closer to a 90 minute player by now. Sharp from the start but too quickly played out of games and unable to effectively link up with anyone. Undoubtedly a workhorse but fizzles out very quickly.

Subs:

O'Dowda 7 More physical and animated than a below par Paterson, draws fouls and is exclusively forward thinking - his reaction with the keeper off his line, deserved better.

O'Neil 5 Added some shape to the huge gaps we were absent from in central midfield, and managed one shot at goal, although truthfully did not look up to speed yet.

Hinds 6 Not much sight of the ball but could see from his movement that he would have been welcome on Saturday, he gets into some positions.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

PLEASE can people realise you don't have to copy such a large post every time you reply!! 

Don't you!? :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What similarities?

Most glaring is surrendering midfield when leading, something that has happened in both of the last 2 games, Saturday was gradual but last night was immediate.

And it must surely beg the questions is it because our midfield is still wholly inadequate?, playing 2 midfielders out of position?, is it tactical from LJ? or is it the decision of the team during the game?.

The problem of falling far too deep and being out muscled in midfield means that the inevitable pressure heaped on our back 4 (a back 4 that seems to have improved) is the inevitability of leaking goals.

Whatever the reason it defined our season last year and is in danger of doing so again.

One thing mentioned in the OP is the way we stood off their wide players and let them cross. For me this is one of the things that drove me nuts last season. It seems so easy to get crosses in against us. I hoped Pisano would help but sounds like he struggled last night. We just don't seem to protect our flanks and make it far too easy for crosses to come pinging in, which puts the CBs constantly under pressure. Maybe one reason why AF is always so conspicuous in our performances.

Everyone calling Óle's match report fickle or saying you cannot judge anything after three games is forgetting the very astute analysis provided this time last season, where good results after poor performances early doors led to people scoffing at his concerns, only for them to explode violently in our faces later.

And while Óle can of course speak for himself, I think his reports on Brum and Brentford haven't simply been schizophrenic "we're great" to "we're awful" knee jerk comments but decent write-ups, discussing concerns.

22 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Most glaring is surrendering midfield when leading, something that has happened in both of the last 2 games, Saturday was gradual but last night was immediate.

And it must surely beg the questions is it because our midfield is still wholly inadequate?, playing 2 midfielders out of position?, is it tactical from LJ? or is it the decision of the team during the game?.

The problem of falling far too deep and being out muscled in midfield means that the inevitable pressure heaped on our back 4 (a back 4 that seems to have improved) is the inevitability of leaking goals.

Whatever the reason it defined our season last year and is in danger of doing so again.

I would agree with decent chunks, even add to that,  it was evident v Barnsley. Fortunately thanks to our first half excellence, we were 3 up and a drop off was inevitable and could be done without too many problems- but drop off we did in the 2nd half, quite badly!

We had done the job in the first half for sure, but...drop off we did.

9 minutes ago, samo II said:

Everyone calling Óle's match report fickle or saying you cannot judge anything after three games is forgetting the very astute analysis provided this time last season, where good results after poor performances early doors led to people scoffing at his concerns, only for them to explode violently in our faces later.

And while Óle can of course speak for himself, I think his reports on Brum and Brentford haven't simply been schizophrenic "we're great" to "we're awful" knee jerk comments but decent write-ups, discussing concerns.

Agreed. If you look for it you'll find some of the very best analysis of Bristol City on this forum, written by people who know football and who've watched City for decades. What they write is rarely lapped up by folk who want to believe that everything in the garden is rosy...because it rarely has been rosy in my decades watching City! Of course you'll also find some fickle and not very well thought-through stuff...but @Olé isn't one of those posters.

28 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Which has to be the reason we're looking for a midfielder right? Not a striker. We can recall loaned strikers (surely) if we need them.

20 minutes ago, samo II said:

Ole is a great poster no doubts but you get why people take some offence when the title of the thread is to the effect of retracting saturdays report. Truth is we'll play better against some teams than others and it's only 3 games which in 2/3 we've played well. Until we are 10-12 games in just call it match report. It doesn't make what he's saying invalid. We could very well be seeing the start of us struggling all season but why not give it a chance first? 

9 hours ago, RedDave said:

Brownhill did end the first half in a central area but it made no difference.  Harsh mark on Baker and far too generous on Paterson, Reid and Diedhiou.

Generous on Reid? We'd have 1 point and be bottom of the league without his goals. 

What more can you ask of someone playing up front than score more than a goal a game?

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Ole is a great poster no doubts but you get why people take some offence when the title of the thread is to the effect of retracting saturdays report. Truth is we'll play better against some teams than others and it's only 3 games which in 2/3 we've played well. Until we are 10-12 games in just call it match report. It doesn't make what he's saying invalid. We could very well be seeing the start of us struggling all season but why not give it a chance first? 

That's fair, but I'd range a guess the title was a bit of a joke - the content was measured.

I also agree it is too early to judge; I mentioned after Villa we'll have a much better idea thanks to the range of teams we'll have faced, but as a fan base it shouldn't be seen as usual that even early signs of frailties are going to be worrying, given how we struggle much of last season.

Ultimately, I think time and more performances will tell, and I'd say we've played better overall this year so far, so mark me an optimist.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Generous on Reid? We'd have 1 point and be bottom of the league without his goals. 

What more can you ask of someone playing up front than score more than a goal a game?

Amen to that.

Of course he could do more, but he four goals in three games for someone playing his first few games as an out-and-out striker isn't half bad. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I for one am taking Ole's posts very seriously. Last seasons away form was abysmal and I was seriously hoping the manager would have worked out a different tactical plan for this seasons away game approach.

Alas it seems he hasn't learned ( or incapable of changing) anything.

Ole clearly knows the game, he called last season very early for what it turned out to be, he and a lot of us weren't fooled by a decent early points tally last season. 

Perhaps you should take note of what knowledgeable football fans are saying, two away games, two managers totally outwitting ours.....again.

I always take note of knowledgeable fans, so excuse me if I resign yours to the litter tray! 

4 hours ago, Jacki said:

I was concerned that LJ came out and said we deserved a point too.

3 hours ago, sab said:

LJ doesn't help himself with " we deserved a point"

Agreed, and it is very concerning if LJ genuinely believes that.

Not one other person at the game would have said with sincerity that we deserved a point, we were totally outplayed.

Obviously we were incredibly poor last night and not up to the test but the three previous performances were fantastic and I'm hoping that last night was just a blip and a bad day for us. I don't think too much can be read into last nights game and we should give the team 10-15 games and then review there. There are some things that need looking at by Johnson and his post match interview annoyed me a bit.

Tactically I think we should've changed to a 4-1-4-1 at HT with Reid or Brownhill coming in centrally and the other taking the wide role and Smith dropping off behind the midfield. This would've allowed our wide men to stay close to Brentford's but also give us 3 in middle. I thought Watkins looked class last night and run Pisano ragged at times with some nice turns and cutting in.

Brentford are a fantastic side and despite a poor start I still feel they will make the playoffs. We were outclassed and it won't be the first time this happens over the season but we still managed to grab an underserved point. Let's see how the players react on Saturday.

We're an average team at this level so expect inconsistency and ups and downs. It would be pointless to get giddy at every win or despondent at every poor performance.

This forum will go nuts in September. Our fixtures next month present a nightmare waiting to happen!

Scoring early is brilliant, and is the much harder thing to do then work out the problem of managing games better thereafter.

it is some of the same problems cropping up as last season sure - but two lost games   one lost game away from home by no means says our season is f**ked. the problem last season was the continuation of this problem, not necessarily the losing of games themselves, if we can flatten out this profile of W/L/D I will be happy, a successful season this year is avoiding a relegation battle and hopefully having some fun and 'dreams'  of furthering our potential along the way.

We will beat Millwall, and have an excellent chance to beat villa on a Friday night on TV. if that is the case surely you can sit back and say 9 points from 15 is way better than you should even hope for. Keep AG a fortress where I think we have a much better chance of finishing teams off with the start to games we have been having and hope LJ and the team gets a little smarter away from home.

7 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Excellent analysis.  However GoN possibly should have a higher rating for taking one for the team and making the pro foul when Fielding was up the pitch.  Would have been curtains if they'd scored into that empty net then

Good point, forgot about that. Point gaining foul that was!!!

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I for one am taking Ole's posts very seriously. Last seasons away form was abysmal and I was seriously hoping the manager would have worked out a different tactical plan for this seasons away game approach.

Our away record in the Championship under LJ reads:

Played: 32 Won: 6 Drawn: 8 Lost: 18

Points per game 0.83

That is pretty shocking and if we continue at that rate then it will be difficult for us to move away from being a bottom 6 team in this division.

Nothing much to add to what has already been said regarding last night. We were completely outplayed for 80 minutes of the game by a club that has spent less on transfer fees in its entire history than we have done in the past 18 months. It was like watching a plucky non-league side go away to a league club, score early on, and desperately try to defend the lead for the rest of the game. The inaction from the bench was just bizarre. Nothing was happening for us but the head coach didn't deme it necessary to make any changes. Poor leadership.

The one thing I will disagree with others is that I actually didn't think Brentford were THAT good. If they were, then frankly they would've been out of sight by half-time. Yes, loads of football that was very pleasing on the eye but their precision in the final third wasn't all that. Indeed, I heard Brentford fans outside saying they didn't think they played that well! Also, they were a mess defensively - what was going on in their penalty area at the end? They panicked. Easy to see how they could've conceded 4 at Forest.

To dominate a game as much as they did and to still concede 2 should raise alarm bells for their fans.

As for us, based on what I've seen so far, we are not going to pick up many points away from home at all. That will inevitably, and sadly, lead to another season of struggle. Unless something changes.

It was truly dismal.

To be fair I think Brentford are a good team, have some very talented players and I actually tipped them before the season started to get into the play-offs. So, even taking into account that their two previous games saw them get beat by a team up from League 1 and a very average Forest side I think a draw at their place in my opinion is actually a good point and plenty of better teams than us will leave Griffin Park with nothing this season.

However we were completely and utterly outplayed. It wasn't that they were a bit better than us and it wasn't that although they had lots of possession we were fairly secure. They absolutely battered us and for the vast majority of the game we were desperately holding on.

When we played them towards the end of last season, we were utterly horrid and Fielding kept the scoreline respectable. I missed three league games last season (fortunately one was Preston) and I thought our performance there was the worst of the season. Last night was hardly any better. Last night, just like in April, Fielding pretty much single handedly kept the scoreline respectable when Brentford could and should have been well and truly out of sight. Thankfully by contrast to last season where Tammy and Taylor wasted the only two chances we created last night Brownhill and Reid managed to take theirs to absolutely rob us a point.

The midfield was completely overran and although both central midfielders probably deserve the criticism they've taken, they were completely outnumbered whilst we waited until the 73rd minute to even try and change things and at the very least get another body in there. By contract Redknapp on Saturday put another midfielder on at half time which put an immediate stop to our domination of the game.

I'm afraid the performance from Diedhiou in these two away games has been a concern for me. It is of course far too early to make a proper judgement either way, and bearing in mind we have pretty much no other options at the moment than to repeatedly throw in him back in there as he is adapting to the league any criticism does seem a bit harsh. However in the second half on Saturday and for the vast majority of last night's game he offered next to nothing. Playing up front in a team that is being outplayed is of course a very difficult task, but he has to offer something. He has to be some sort of threat, to hold the ball, to chase channels, to not allow their defenders easy ball. You need someone to offer the defence some respite and to a way of getting you up the pitch when you've spent the entire game on the edge of your box, He really didn't give us that last night or second half at St Andrews. The part of that interview with Wilbs that made me chuckle was when he said “I’m old enough to know that if we got four or five games in and we weren’t playing well, he’d have rely on me again. He was saying similar things last year and I still played 36 times" and make no mistake, had Wilbs been on the bench in the last two games I'd have been chucking him on after 65/70 minutes at St Andrews and at half time last night. Now I love the bloke, but thinking like that really isn't ideal and doesn't really show a lot of progression.

Now I was pretty ******* annoyed watching us last night, but I was more than content to forget all that and happily take a good point from, as I say, a team that I think will be a lot closer to the top than us. However seeing our Head Coach claim we deserved the point is close to being beyond belief. Show some humility, admit we were poor, praise Fielding and to a lesser extent Reid, praise the spirit shown in hanging on in there and nicking a point at the end. All of that absolutely fine, but to claim we deserved the point? My god. I really really hope he was just saying that in the media rather than actually deep down believing it.

Still, we have a very winnable game Saturday and should we get the three points than 7 points from 4 games will be a very decent start.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

We played well for 45 minutes and Ok for 45 minutes in the first match. Played well for 45 minutes and badly for 45 minutes in the second. Played well for 5 minutes (being generous) and were non existent for 85 minutes in the third.  The conclusions I'd draw are City are currently incapable of consistently playing at a standard required to avoid another relegation fight, LJ is incapable of changing the rabbit in the headlights image when things go wrong, and the summer signings haven't really strengthened the team. Only 3 matches into the season, so a bit early perhaps, but after last season a bit worrying

My original post was facetious and there are undoubtedly areas of concern, but the point is that you can't draw any conclusions 3 games into a season where teams have yet to complete their squads. Cardiff and Ipswich have won all their games so far, do you think they're likely to challenge for the title? Villa, Norwich and Wednesday have yet to win- do you think they'll be relegated? The only conclusion that can be drawn at this point is that it's impossible to draw any conclusions. I'm dubious as to whether LJ has the nous to get us promoted, but I very much want him to succeed and I'm prepared to give him more than 270 minutes to prove it

31 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Which has to be the reason we're looking for a midfielder right? Not a striker. We can recall loaned strikers (surely) if we need them.

Are we?, that's news to me, LJ said last night there was a bid in for a striker, I have heard nothing about midfielders nothing at all, recalling strikers? depends on the deal and this BCFC we are talking about so I would say probably not.

The point is we should never have been in this position in the first place.

9 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I'm afraid the performance from Diedhiou in these two away games has been a concern for me. It is of course far too early to make a proper judgement either way, and bearing in mind we have pretty much no other options at the moment than to repeatedly throw in him back in there as he is adapting to the league any criticism does seem a bit harsh. However in the second half on Saturday and for the vast majority of last night's game he offered next to nothing. Playing up front in a team that is being outplayed is of course a very difficult task, but he has to offer something. He has to be some sort of threat, to hold the ball, to chase channels, to not allow their defenders easy ball. You need someone to offer the defence some respite and to a way of getting you up the pitch when you've spent the entire game on the edge of your box, He really didn't give us that last night or second half at St Andrews. The part of that interview with Wilbs that made me chuckle was when he said “I’m old enough to know that if we got four or five games in and we weren’t playing well, he’d have rely on me again. He was saying similar things last year and I still played 36 times" and make no mistake, had Wilbs been on the bench in the last two games I'd have been chucking him on after 65/70 minutes at St Andrews and at half time last night. Now I love the bloke, but thinking like that really isn't ideal and doesn't really show a lot of progression.

I felt sorry for Diedhiou as he was just feeding off scraps all night. He had no support whatsoever for most of the night and the ball was just being aimlessly punted up the pitch in the vein hope that it would go somewhere near him. Service? Chances provided for him? Zilch from memory. I do hear what you are saying about Wilbs and I expect he'd of used his experience to win a few free kicks and help make the ball stick a little better up top. But overall I just can't judge Diedhiou too harshly in a game that was played in that manner last night.

Đurić I think is a big miss, and I know LJ rates him highly. He would've also been a very useful option to have on the bench.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I felt sorry for Diedhiou as he was just feeding off scraps all night. He had no support whatsoever for most of the night and the ball was just being aimlessly punted up the pitch in the vein hope that it would go somewhere near him. Service? Chances provided for him? Zilch from memory. I do hear what you are saying about Wilbs and I expect he'd of used his experience to win a few free kicks and help make the ball stick a little better up top. But overall I just can't judge Diedhiou too harshly in a game that was played in that manner last night.

Đurić I think is a big miss, and I know LJ rates him highly. He would've also been a very useful option to have on the bench.

Oh I absolutely agree with all that you've said. I absolutely accept that any criticism of him based on last night is very harsh.

But I can't help but think that the big centre forward does have to find a way of being enough of a nuisance from those aimless balls forward that he somehow gets you up the pitch and offers some respite for a hilariously overworked defence. There were a couple as well that were played up to him that the Brentford centre halves won with alarming ease.

23 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

My original post was facetious and there are undoubtedly areas of concern, but the point is that you can't draw any conclusions 3 games into a season where teams have yet to complete their squads. Cardiff and Ipswich have won all their games so far, do you think they're likely to challenge for the title? Villa, Norwich and Wednesday have yet to win- do you think they'll be relegated? The only conclusion that can be drawn at this point is that it's impossible to draw any conclusions. I'm dubious as to whether LJ has the nous to get us promoted, but I very much want him to succeed and I'm prepared to give him more than 270 minutes to prove it

Agreed about it being early doors and still quite hard to draw concrete conclusions.

I think Cardiff could be surprising a few- Warnock knowhow and their rather difficult style of play. Ipswich? Definitely not- just have a look at their stats they are truly unsustainable to the point of crazy.

Agree with the thrust of your post though, 10 games in, maybe 15 we will have a strong idea.

56 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Possibly......... because early indications show that our manager hasn't learned a lot from last season, two away games, two leads thrown away already. Last season away games replicated.

Its not posters posting stuff which is the problem, it's what they are seeing on the football pitch that is, we cannot continue throwing away leads in away games.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree about Diedhiou, but that does not account for his woeful first touch and poor decision making when he did have the ball last night, that really does need to improve.

Archived