IGNORED

Dean Smith Memory Alert

Marina's Rolls Royce

I was just wondering about Dean's comments regarding the most one sided game he had ever been involved in  (Championship). I thought it a tad misleading considering he hammered Derby 4-0 and Villa 3-0 last season although he may have some other memories he'd prefer to forget?

Bristol City vs Walsall
Football League One
Sunday 3 May, 12:15
Ashton Gate, Bristol
Bristol City
8 - 2
FT
Walsall

hhdibgw02NkjnyEuf4dxNg_56x42.png

CvOHIFEaYmGBdS1XTaJGaQ_56x42.png

2014–15 Football League Trophy
Walsall Bristol City

0 2
Date 22 March 2015
Venue Wembley Stadium, London
Man of the Match Mark Little (Bristol City)
Referee Mick Russell
Attendance 72,315

Him and Richard O'Kelly (remember him??) are doing a very, very good job at Griffin Park it seems.

We've spent more on transfer fees in the past 18 months than Brentford have in their entire history and they've completely played us off the park twice in a matter of months.

Anyone who was there last night will not be surprised to learn that it was the most one sided C'ship game he's been involved with. I'm struggling to think of a more one-sided game I've seen City involved in.

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Him and Richard O'Kelly (remember him??) are doing a very, very good job at Griffin Park it seems.

We've spent more on transfer fees in the past 18 months than Brentford have in their entire history and they've completely played us off the park twice in a matter of months.

Anyone who was there last night will not be surprised to learn that it was the most one sided C'ship game he's been involved with. I'm struggling to think of a more one-sided game I've seen City involved in.

That can't be true. They've spent £10m since the beginning of last season!

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I was just wondering about Dean's comments regarding the most one sided game he had ever been involved in  (Championship). I thought it a tad misleading considering he hammered Derby 4-0 and Villa 3-0 last season although he may have some other memories he'd prefer to forget?

Bristol City vs Walsall
Football League One
Ashton Gate, Bristol

Bristol City
8 - 2
FT
Walsall

Walsall Bristol City

0 2
Date 22 March 2015
Referee Mick Russell
Attendance 72,315

None of those games V Walsall were championship games. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And we scored two away from home last night. Obviously they need to sort their defence out. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That can't be true. They've spent £10m since the beginning of last season!

I have us at about £23m since last summer.

20 minutes ago, swanker said:

And we scored two away from home last night. Obviously they need to sort their defence out. 

I completely agree. I thought they looked very fragile defensively during the two spells that we actually made it within their half. Easy to see how they conceded 4 at Forest. As good as they were last night they'll have to be more clinical in both areas if they're to improve on last season's finish.

Sad truth is that they still looked a class apart from us.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And that's more than Brentford have spent in their entire history? Unlikely as they've spent half of that in less than 2 years.

The last two years have been exceptional though. Their transfer record prior to 2014 was Herman Hreidarsson purchased for £750k in 1998! So it's possible....I was told this by a west London journo. He also said that Villa and Derby spent more in the 2016 summer transfer window than Brentford had in their entire history...they went onto beat Villa 4-0 and Derby 3-0 as pointed out by the OP.

Quick check on Transfermarkt (which I think is pretty accurate) for the last four seasons tells a different story Kid.

Brentford

17/18 - £5.5m

16/17 - £4.6m

15/16 - £9.4m

14/15 - £5.0m

TOTAL - £24.5m

Bristol City

17/18 - £7.2m

16/17 - £11.3m

15/16 - £3.3m

14/15 - £0.8m

TOTAL - £22.6m

Even distinctly average clubs like us and Brentford are spending millions these days. It's just the way of things now.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Quick check on Transfermarkt (which I think is pretty accurate) for the last four seasons tells a different story Kid.

Brentford

17/18 - £5.5m

16/17 - £4.6m

15/16 - £9.4m

14/15 - £5.0m

TOTAL - £24.5m

Bristol City

17/18 - £7.2m

16/17 - £11.3m

15/16 - £3.3m

14/15 - £0.8m

TOTAL - £22.6m

Even distinctly average clubs like us and Brentford are spending millions these days. It's just the way of things now.

I was obviously lied to then! Though those figures for us for 14/15 and 16/17 are simply not correct so would question how accurate the rest of it is...

I am genuinely surprised if Brentford have spent that much, fair play they've invested it well based on the last few seasons' evidence.

34 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I have us at about £23m since last summer.

I completely agree. I thought they looked very fragile defensively during the two spells that we actually made it within their half. Easy to see how they conceded 4 at Forest. As good as they were last night they'll have to be more clinical in both areas if they're to improve on last season's finish.

Sad truth is that they still looked a class apart from us.

I shouldn't read to much into One game. Chances are we'll play them off the pitch in the reverse fixture. Quick  to mind examples of that being Brighton and Huddersfield last season. 

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I was obviously lied to then! Though those figures for us for 14/15 and 16/17 are simply not correct so would question how accurate the rest of it is...

I am genuinely surprised if Brentford have spent that much, fair play they've invested it well based on the last few seasons' evidence.

TBH I quickly tried to get back to your £23m figure even with overestimating some of the undisclosed fees we paid but I think it's more like £19m as the source above. That said it seems a little irrelevant, it seems we need to strengthen our central midfield and they need to strengthen their defence 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

D'ya know what Kid?

I remember when OTIB would find it fun to take the pi55 out of other clubs- to defend our own- our players/ owner and sometimes even our manager.

But look at you! - how far you and yours have sunk that it's more preferable to criticise your own club- you know the same one you barely support- than it is to defend your own.

Grow up, grow a pair and get a life beyond an immature misguided agenda against all things Lansdown and Johnson..

:yahoo:

I feel better now.

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We've also recouped most if not all of that 24.5 million

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

D'ya know what Kid?

I remember when OTIB would find it fun to take the pi55 out of other clubs- to defend our own- our players/ owner and sometimes even our manager.

But look at you! - how far you and yours have sunk that it's more preferable to criticise your own club- you know the same one you barely support- than it is to defend your own.

Grow up, grow a pair and get a life beyond an immature misguided agenda against all things Lansdown and Johnson..

:yahoo:

I feel better now.

:laughcont:

Were you at Brentford last night hun...??

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sunderland 1998?

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

West Brom at the Hawthorns in '76

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Brentford

17/18 - £5.5m

16/17 - £4.6m

15/16 - £9.4m

14/15 - £5.0m

TOTAL - £24.5m

Bristol City

17/18 - £7.2m

16/17 - £11.3m

15/16 - £3.3m

14/15 - £0.8m

TOTAL - £22.6m

Is this gross or net though?

I make you right on the last bit, running to keep still. 

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/tale-of-bristol-city.html

Showed transfer spend from 09-11, those 2 seasons we were the 6th highest spenders in the Division? Net spend £3.3m

£3.3m in 2 years the sixth highest?? Jeez. Birmingham who are skint had an £8m bid rejected just the other week for a Torino midfielder.

17+Bristol+City+Player+Trading.jpg

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

None of those games V Walsall were championship games. 

Often best to read the OP

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Bristol City vs Walsall
Football League One
Ashton Gate, Bristol

Bristol City
8 - 2
FT
Walsall

Walsall Bristol City

0 2
Date 22 March 2015
Referee Mick Russell
Attendance  

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Villa fans seem to agree. They've already got a 28 page thread on who will replace Bruce, and Dean Smith is streets ahead. About 31% of the votes with Karanka next at 8%.

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is this gross or net though?

I make you right on the last bit, running to keep still. 

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/tale-of-bristol-city.html

Showed transfer spend from 09-11, those 2 seasons we were the 6th highest spenders in the Division? Net spend £3.3m

£3.3m in 2 years the sixth highest?? Jeez. Birmingham who are skint had an £8m bid rejected just the other week for a Torino midfielder.

17+Bristol+City+Player+Trading.jpg

My figures were just expenditure, disregarding transfer fees received. 

46 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Yeah but no.  Probable massive profit considering the fee for Hogan and Andre Gray sell on to Watford 

We have done well with fees received too but I was only quoting transfer expenditure. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

My figures were just expenditure, disregarding transfer fees received. 

We have done well with fees received too but I was only quoting transfer expenditure. 

Still though, I have a feeling we were still towards the higher end in terms of expenditure in that time. Shows how much it's changed I guess.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still though, I have a feeling we were still towards the higher end in terms of expenditure in that time. Shows how much it's changed I guess.

People just seem to think we're the only 'smaller' team routinely dropping six figure sums on players and we're really not. Market has changed so much in recent years its unrecognisable. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

:laughcont:

Were you at Brentford last night hun...??

He's right though kid. I used to enjoy reading your posts about most things  but since towards the end of last season you come across as someone who can't wait to have a dig at the club in general . Just something I've picked up on. I wasn't there last night but was at Birmingham and we played very well first half and passed them off the park. That obviously happened to us last night but we came out with a point. You're educated enough to know how football works and know how tough a place griffin park is . Hardly surprising they had a lot of pressure , we're far from the finished article and am amazed at the meltdown from last night .  

A couple of good pieces on Brentford ownership here: 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/15/brentford-owner-matthew-benham-hates-moneyball?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

https://atthematch.com/article/a-profile-of-brentfords-owner-matthew-benham

Spending numbers seem inconclusive. But let's say they've spent about the same as us, but looked a lot better last night.  Overall Brentford look a good model for City - they play good football, recruit younger players (we were both looking at Watkins - they got him) looking abroad, outside of 'big names' because of club size, and selling on when the time / price is right (e.g. Hogan / Kodjia). LJ said as much in his post-match interview. They are a few seasons ahead of us in terms of Championship status. 

Whether a club with a smaller stadium / fanbase etc *should* be ahead of us is another, more painful story which is much discussed. We must be one of the biggest teams not to have played in the Prem. 

Archived