IGNORED

Friday night fixture changes

Dr Balls

So just over a week before we are due to play Villa, I get the email from the club telling me that the game is now on Friday night. Also that the Burton game in October is also moving to Friday night.

As a medical professional, who has to work nights and weekends and has to arrange my rota months in advance, this is particularly annoying as I am working both Friday nights, so that I could be free on the Saturday for the games. I am not going to get a swap for the Villa game so late especially with it being a bank holiday weekend in August with colleagues away on holiday, and swapping for Burton is going to be well nigh impossible as well, as my rota is so tight on numbers.

Presumably the club have been offered Sky's filthy lucre to change the fixtures. No thought to the fans particularly season ticket holders who do a fare amount of organising just to get to matches. And driving to the Villa game from Birmingham or anywhere outside Bristol via a motorway on the Friday evening of the last summer Bank Holiday weekend is going to be nightmare, even if you are free to attend that evening.

So Adam B, can I claim back the cost of those 2 games on my West Stand (sorry Lansdown Stand) season ticket on the basis that you have changed the dates of the games? I am guessing not as in the weaseley contract terms there will be likely something about the dates of games can be changed at short notice. However the reality is that the only losers in this scenario are the season ticket holders who can no longer attend the games. Plus how many more times is this going to happen this season? A few more games switching, plus not being able to attend the odd midweek game due to having to be elsewhere in the country, and suddenly a season ticket becomes more of a generous investment in the club, rather than a convenient way to see games at home at a reasonable price, and sit near my mates & friends.

NOT HAPPY!!

50 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

So just over a week before we are due to play Villa, I get the email from the club telling me that the game is now on Friday night. Also that the Burton game in October is also moving to Friday night.

As a medical professional, who has to work nights and weekends and has to arrange my rota months in advance, this is particularly annoying as I am working both Friday nights, so that I could be free on the Saturday for the games. I am not going to get a swap for the Villa game so late especially with it being a bank holiday weekend in August with colleagues away on holiday, and swapping for Burton is going to be well nigh impossible as well, as my rota is so tight on numbers.

Presumably the club have been offered Sky's filthy lucre to change the fixtures. No thought to the fans particularly season ticket holders who do a fare amount of organising just to get to matches. And driving to the Villa game from Birmingham or anywhere outside Bristol via a motorway on the Friday evening of the last summer Bank Holiday weekend is going to be nightmare, even if you are free to attend that evening.

So Adam B, can I claim back the cost of those 2 games on my West Stand (sorry Lansdown Stand) season ticket on the basis that you have changed the dates of the games? I am guessing not as in the weaseley contract terms there will be likely something about the dates of games can be changed at short notice. However the reality is that the only losers in this scenario are the season ticket holders who can no longer attend the games. Plus how many more times is this going to happen this season? A few more games switching, plus not being able to attend the odd midweek game due to having to be elsewhere in the country, and suddenly a season ticket becomes more of a generous investment in the club, rather than a convenient way to see games at home at a reasonable price, and sit near my mates & friends.

NOT HAPPY!!

Agree the changes are a pain but both were announced weeks ago:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/sky-date-revealed-for-city/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/burton-home-game-moved/

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

NOT HAPPY!!

it may not suit you but what about all the season ticket holders and other fans that couldn't make the Saturday but can now watch it.  

everyone knows every year that the fixtures aren't 100 % accurate and you can expect changes, there is no point moaning about it unless it was done at ridiculously short notice (which it wasnt). 

oh and of course you won't get your money back for the 2 games, like you say there is a contract in place, which was certainly in place well before you purchased it!

To be fair the clubs announced the changes weeks ago and football fixtures are always subject to change.

With regards to the club being offered sky's filthy lucre, I don't believe they have much say in it and if they did they wouldn't turn down the chance of extra revenue and the chance of national exposure.

On the other hand I dislike the change, can't beat Saturday 3pm's but it's now the norm for these changes to happen. Heaven forbid if we ever make it to the Premier League.

I think from memory this is the first ever home game we've had rearranged for Sky, so I share your frustration. I'm sure the club will send you some food vouchers by way of an apology. 

Seriously though this was announced WEEKS ago. And it's been happening for YEARS. Cup games, waterlogged pitches, icy stands, television games have all affected the fixture list for donkeys years. If you can't go I'm sure someone would love to have your ticket in exchange for a few beers. 

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

NOT HAPPY!!

We were told about the fixture changes 3 weeks ago at least 

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I think from memory this is the first ever home game we've had rearranged for Sky, so I share your frustration. I'm sure the club will send you some food vouchers by way of an apology. 

Seriously though this was announced WEEKS ago. And it's been happening for YEARS. Cup games, waterlogged pitches, icy stands, television games have all affected the fixture list for donkeys years. If you can't go I'm sure someone would love to have your ticket in exchange for a few beers. 

Might be sarcasm? Huddersfield last season immediately springs to mind plus probably many more.

definitely been a Friday for ages because I marked it as a game I can actually go to

2 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

This was originally announced on the 3rd of July!

Yes  it was but I also work in the NHS & are duty is done months in advance e.g. request are not out for November. Noticed Villa game had been changed back then, but than period of the rota was being done then luckily they were able to accommodate. Didn't realise Burton game had been changed so might not be so lucky this time! 

Pathetic, needless rant aimed at the club. You should have checked weeks back.

As someone who lives and works in Cardiff, night matches are a pain to get to and sometimes not possible at all for me but I accept that when I buy a season ticket.

If you're willing to match the money Sky are paying our club I'm sure they'd be willing to rearrange for you...

Just playing devils advocate - the club announced it on the website and social media, but did they email us?  I can't remember. 

Sone people don't go to the OS nor social media. 

Then again the likes of BA don't advise me when one if their flights changes by a couple of hours!

7 minutes ago, Robin Goch said:

Pathetic, needless rant aimed at the club. You should have checked weeks back.

As someone who lives and works in Cardiff, night matches are a pain to get to and sometimes not possible at all for me but I accept that when I buy a season ticket.

If you're willing to match the money Sky are paying our club I'm sure they'd be willing to rearrange for you...

Hardly pathetic and needless, I'd say.

I've had to take a day's holiday to be able to come to the Villa game, probably won't for the Burton game because I don't have many days left. Why can't the changes be made before the fixtures are released? 

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

I've had to take a day's holiday to be able to come to the Villa game, probably won't for the Burton game because I don't have many days left. Why can't the changes be made before the fixtures are released? 

because sky haven't picked the games they are showing because the fixtures haven't been released, the police haven't asked us to move a game because they haven't got the resource to police both games on the same day, they can't ask us to change it because the fixtures haven't been released

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

because sky haven't picked the games they are showing because the fixtures haven't been released, the police haven't asked us to move a game because they haven't got the resource to police both games on the same day, they can't ask us to change it because the fixtures haven't been released

Why can't SKY discuss the fixtures with the football league before they are released? The Police are consulted on certain games beforehand, why not others? It's not that difficult to sort out in a matter of days of the fixtures being released, and constantly change them throughout the season.

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why can't SKY discuss the fixtures with the football league before they are released? The Police are consulted on certain games beforehand, why not others? It's not that difficult to sort out in a matter of days of the fixtures being released, and constantly change them throughout the season.

You need to take that up with the police, sky and the football league, you're blaming the club for something beyond their control 

Following on from Dave Fevs' devil's advocate, I think some people are missing Dr Balls' point - not everyone can change their work shifts even weeks in advance, it needs to be months. July 3rd means nothing if the Villa game is less than 2 months later and (s)he needs more than 2 months notice. Not sure why people can't understand that. Yes games have been rearranged for years, but how do we know this isn't Dr Balls' first season with a season ticket, due to work commitments? I think a little more sympathy would be nice. 

I have been a season ticket holder for years now, but as my job involves travelling across the country, I am pretty much resigned to missing most week night games. I  understand this when I buy the ticket but the fact is that it still works out cheaper for me than buying individual tickets for games I can attend. Perhaps the OP should consider this before asking for their money back.

29 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Like I said, I will probably have to do the same for both games but I don't feel inclined to aim a rant at the club like Dr Balls. That's why it's pathetic and needless in my eyes.

Friday night football...

The changes were announced a while ago, especially the Villa one

Friday night football in general...nothing new..I remember 00-01 season, Wilson's first year.

3 Friday night games at least, all excellent games from what I recall. Especially the Bristol derby and Millwall game.

Possibly the only one on this thread who quite enjoys Friday night games? Bit of atmosphere under the floodlights etc.

That said, I do sympathise with the OP also. Rotas arranged long long time in advance are generally fairly watertight.

29 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Following on from Dave Fevs' devil's advocate, I think some people are missing Dr Balls' point - not everyone can change their work shifts even weeks in advance, it needs to be months. July 3rd means nothing if the Villa game is less than 2 months later and (s)he needs more than 2 months notice. Not sure why people can't understand that. Yes games have been rearranged for years, but how do we know this isn't Dr Balls' first season with a season ticket, due to work commitments? I think a little more sympathy would be nice. 

Not quite the OP's point though, is it..?

He's complaining about being given 1 weeks notice, when it's actually been changed and publicised since early July for Villa and weeks ago for Burton. 

I know fixture changes annoy some people and help others. His complain is invalid because what he's complaining about (1weeks notice) isn't valid. 

Dr Balls, if you bought a season ticket thinking that no fixtures would ever get changed then at best you must be extremely naive, there are always changes to fixtures (as there have been for years) and not just for TV but as others have mentioned fixture clashes with Rovers, cup ties etc etc.

if your job doesn't allow for changing shifts etc then you really need to have taken that into account when you purchased the season ticket as there will always be a few games that will clash with your shifts surely?

As others have mentioned, the club advised of this change to a Friday night in early July I.e. when the Sky game was announced, that's the best part of 7 weeks before the Villa game and only 2 weeks after the fixtures were released.  

Why not look at other options for utilising your season ticket for this game instead?  This change has nothing to do with the club and IMO they have done all they can to advise, would be interested what more you think they could have done?

4 hours ago, Red Rum said:

The problem with this is it depends on supporters looking at the City website to be kept inform. Many people, including myself, never do this. The majority of supporters also never look at the forum. It would have taken the same amount of effort for City to send a text or email immediately the changes were made as it did to send them a couple of days ago. There seems to be no problem in sending emails when City want something - e g renewing season tickets.  In general, the City IT systems have room for improvement, and this is another example. We hear a lot about "the project" so have about a project to improve IT and communication?

31 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The problem with this is it depends on supporters looking at the City website to be kept inform. Many people, including myself, never do this. The majority of supporters also never look at the forum. It would have taken the same amount of effort for City to send a text or email immediately the changes were made as it did to send them a couple of days ago. There seems to be no problem in sending emails when City want something - e g renewing season tickets.  In general, the City IT systems have room for improvement, and this is another example. We hear a lot about "the project" so have about a project to improve IT and communication?

Thank you for spotting the real issue and the object of my frustration. For professional reasons I don't do Facebook or Twitter, and no I don't regularly go on the club website. So yes the email was the first I knew about the change of date, and that should have been sent as soon as the club knew. It wouldn't have taken any more effort than posting on Facebook or wherever it was announced other than the website. I now know for Burton well in advance. Still probably won't make it. And if it's because both ourselves and the Gas are home on the same weekend, rather than the TV, how did that get past the League when the fixtures first went out?

And yes I was being sarcastic about being reimbursed, and even if I had known sooner, I probably still wouldn't have been able to swap as it's bank holiday weekend.  And don't discount the traffic problems...

The other issue is fans being screwed over by the vagaries of TV schedules. And yes some clubs have it worse than us in this league, but get into the Premier League and you could in theory be playing a weekend fixture anywhere between Thursday night and Monday night. For those of us with busy lives, including work & family commitments (yes I know that they come a distant second to City for some on here) how on earth do you factor that in when trying to support your team?

Archived