IGNORED

Friday night fixture changes

Dr Balls

6 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

So just over a week before we are due to play Villa, I get the email from the club telling me that the game is now on Friday night. Also that the Burton game in October is also moving to Friday night.

As a medical professional, who has to work nights and weekends and has to arrange my rota months in advance, this is particularly annoying as I am working both Friday nights, so that I could be free on the Saturday for the games. I am not going to get a swap for the Villa game so late especially with it being a bank holiday weekend in August with colleagues away on holiday, and swapping for Burton is going to be well nigh impossible as well, as my rota is so tight on numbers.

Presumably the club have been offered Sky's filthy lucre to change the fixtures. No thought to the fans particularly season ticket holders who do a fare amount of organising just to get to matches. And driving to the Villa game from Birmingham or anywhere outside Bristol via a motorway on the Friday evening of the last summer Bank Holiday weekend is going to be nightmare, even if you are free to attend that evening.

So Adam B, can I claim back the cost of those 2 games on my West Stand (sorry Lansdown Stand) season ticket on the basis that you have changed the dates of the games? I am guessing not as in the weaseley contract terms there will be likely something about the dates of games can be changed at short notice. However the reality is that the only losers in this scenario are the season ticket holders who can no longer attend the games. Plus how many more times is this going to happen this season? A few more games switching, plus not being able to attend the odd midweek game due to having to be elsewhere in the country, and suddenly a season ticket becomes more of a generous investment in the club, rather than a convenient way to see games at home at a reasonable price, and sit near my mates & friends.

NOT HAPPY!!

No offence, but where an earth have you been hiding if your are only just aware of the fixture changes.. Sky and then City released details of the fixture change due to the game being televised weeks ago,

and the Burton fixture change was released a few weeks later. I understand your frustration, we all would rather both games be Saturday 3pm.. but it's not like these things aren't expected.

Where on sky 2 or 3 times a year.. so fixture changes will happen. The club holds no blame over this what so ever. You buy a season ticket it's your responsibility to make the games as and when they are. 

1 hour ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Following on from Dave Fevs' devil's advocate, I think some people are missing Dr Balls' point - not everyone can change their work shifts even weeks in advance, it needs to be months. July 3rd means nothing if the Villa game is less than 2 months later and (s)he needs more than 2 months notice. Not sure why people can't understand that. Yes games have been rearranged for years, but how do we know this isn't Dr Balls' first season with a season ticket, due to work commitments? I think a little more sympathy would be nice. 

There's not even 2 months between the fixtures being announced and the first game of the season. Unfortunately I think if you routinely need that sort of notice for time off that's a grievance to have with your HR department not anyone else.

Having said that, would it be such a bad thing if the club had a special allowance for NHS or others in uniform who help keep us safe who might need more notice for time off? Take Villa for instance, how difficult for the club to "buy back" the seat for that game and resell it - at a potd markup too!! Little bit of admin for a nice touch.

So just over a week before we are due to play Villa, I get the email from the club telling me that the game is now on Friday night. Also that the Burton game in October is also moving to Friday night.

As a medical professional, who has to work nights and weekends and has to arrange my rota months in advance, this is particularly annoying as I am working both Friday nights, so that I could be free on the Saturday for the games. I am not going to get a swap for the Villa game so late especially with it being a bank holiday weekend in August with colleagues away on holiday, and swapping for Burton is going to be well nigh impossible as well, as my rota is so tight on numbers.

Presumably the club have been offered Sky's filthy lucre to change the fixtures. No thought to the fans particularly season ticket holders who do a fare amount of organising just to get to matches. And driving to the Villa game from Birmingham or anywhere outside Bristol via a motorway on the Friday evening of the last summer Bank Holiday weekend is going to be nightmare, even if you are free to attend that evening.

So Adam B, can I claim back the cost of those 2 games on my West Stand (sorry Lansdown Stand) season ticket on the basis that you have changed the dates of the games? I am guessing not as in the weaseley contract terms there will be likely something about the dates of games can be changed at short notice. However the reality is that the only losers in this scenario are the season ticket holders who can no longer attend the games. Plus how many more times is this going to happen this season? A few more games switching, plus not being able to attend the odd midweek game due to having to be elsewhere in the country, and suddenly a season ticket becomes more of a generous investment in the club, rather than a convenient way to see games at home at a reasonable price, and sit near my mates & friends.

NOT HAPPY!!

You're absolutely right , the club should consult every supporter before changing games .

:disapointed2se:

NOT HAPPY!!

A mate of mine is a season ticket holder at Saints and has forgotten the last time his team played Saturday 3pm. Sky are the paymasters and call the tunes 

29 minutes ago, shelts said:

A mate of mine is a season ticket holder at Saints and has forgotten the last time his team played Saturday 3pm. Sky are the paymasters and call the tunes 

Fair enough really. Clubs are happy to take the cash rubbish for the fans but they are forgotten about these days.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not quite the OP's point though, is it..?

He's complaining about being given 1 weeks notice, when it's actually been changed and publicised since early July for Villa and weeks ago for Burton. 

I know fixture changes annoy some people and help others. His complain is invalid because what he's complaining about (1weeks notice) isn't valid. 

Not if he's someone who doesn't digest football 24/7. There are people like that. People who have 'lives' and only think about football every so often. If he doesn't look at the official site and the club leave a yawning gap of 6 weeks between the change of a fixture and emailing about it, he's got a valid point. Why the club can't automatically inform people of quite important things like this, as soon as they're decided, I don't know. In this day and age...modern technology...modern football club etc He's got a valid point for me.

1 minute ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Not if he's someone who doesn't digest football 24/7. There are people like that. People who have 'lives' and only think about football every so often. If he doesn't look at the official site and the club leave a yawning gap of 6 weeks between the change of a fixture and emailing about it, he's got a valid point. Why the club can't automatically inform people of quite important things like this, as soon as they're decided, I don't know. In this day and age...modern technology...modern football club etc He's got a valid point for me.

Agreed. I'm currently looking at my account with the club. It lists all the matches loaded onto my ST with the correct KO times. Shouldn't be over-complex to automatically email ST holders at the same time as adjusting the KO times of matches.

3 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

You're quite right of course, if the club have the capacity to email now then there's obviously no reason why they couldn't have done it in tandem with the announcement on the website/twitter a/c etc

@AdamB is this something that can be fed back and implemented please? Seems like a quick win to me.  

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

You're quite right of course, if the club have the capacity to email now then there's obviously no reason why they couldn't have done it in tandem with the announcement on the website/twitter a/c etc

@AdamB is this something that can be fed back and implemented please? Seems like a quick win to me.  

Oddly, I had a text from my old man last night regarding the changes, the first he knew of it was because of the email*.

On reflection, I probably should have told him a while back.

*That was sent to my mother as he doesn't to technology, I once popped round to visit them and he was watching Sky Arts, when I asked him why, it was because he wasn't sure how to turn the telly over.

30 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Oddly, I had a text from my old man last night regarding the changes, the first he knew of it was because of the email*.

On reflection, I probably should have told him a while back.

*That was sent to my mother as he doesn't to technology, I once popped round to visit them and he was watching Sky Arts, when I asked him why, it was because he wasn't sure how to turn the telly over.

You sure it wasn't because Lovejoy was on there?

58 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I agree that there is no reason for major changes like a fixture change to be emailed directly to all supporters on the database, not just season ticket holders. 

It has been changed for some time and it certainly has been made clear, but yes, for those who don't look at anything football related, it should still be directly advised. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree that there is no reason for major changes like a fixture change to be emailed directly to all supporters on the database, not just season ticket holders. 

It has been changed for some time and it certainly has been made clear, but yes, for those who don't look at anything football related, it should still be directly advised. 

And if they were to email the entire database, they could well get a few floating supporters who might not have been able to make a Saturday 3pm game.

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Nah, the old dear has an interest in paintings and all that high brow stuff.

You'd have thought by now he'd have trained her to put on a cowboy film before she went out for the evening.

I love a good cowboy story; anything to do with the UWE Stadium saga would be a must-see 

I booked my holiday sometime before the fixtures.  Imagine my angst when it a) turned out we are playing at home on the one Saturday I am away, b) turns out to be Villa.

A short while after, the game is moved to Friday night because it is on Sky.  Result!

@AdamB who do I send the cheque to at the club for this excellent move?

2 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I have subscribed to a Bristol City Fixtures calendar on my IPhone which adds al the fixtures into your calendar and makes all the changes automatically, I would recommend everyone with an iPhone gets this cause then you don't need to rely on texts or emails at all.

At the end of the day people need to take ownership every now and again, (how long did you wee on the toilet seat before somebody told you to lift it up? ) Instead of blaming someone else.  The club could have done more communication, maybe, but it isn't there fault the fixture changed or that Dr Balls works shifts he can't change.  As a fan I keep up to date with everything City related, I don't have a season ticket but knew at the time Villa game  had changed, I would think a season ticket holder would be even more keen than me

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why can't SKY discuss the fixtures with the football league before they are released? The Police are consulted on certain games beforehand, why not others? It's not that difficult to sort out in a matter of days of the fixtures being released, and constantly change them throughout the season.

Always expect the fixtures against big teams to be moved, nice surprise then when they're not. As for a bit later in the season sky will want to make sure they get the teams around the play offs on tv so can't name the games too early. Imagine them naming say Reading vs Cardiff (no idea when it is) at the start of the season and it turns out they're both mid table, not as much interest then. 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Always expect the fixtures against big teams to be moved, nice surprise then when they're not. As for a bit later in the season sky will want to make sure they get the teams around the play offs on tv so can't name the games too early. Imagine them naming say Reading vs Cardiff (no idea when it is) at the start of the season and it turns out they're both mid table, not as much interest then. 

Yes, all about their TV audience…

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, all about their TV audience…

undoubteldy true, made worse because (unless I'm mistaken) Championship viewing figures are shockingly low.

31 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

They should just let Leeds be on every week :fear: then at least we would know that it would move only twice a year

I thought they did have Leeds on every week normally, just  last season they also had to have Newcastle on every week as well, and that was a bit of a scheduling headache for them...

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I thought they did have Leeds on every week normally, just  last season they also had to have Newcastle on every week as well, and that was a bit of a scheduling headache for them...

perhaps they use the same balls as they did with the Carabou Cup draw…

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

As a fan I keep up to date with everything City related, I don't have a season ticket but knew at the time Villa game  had changed, I would think a season ticket holder would be even more keen than me

I'm guessing it's not lost on anyone, the irony of us being on here debating why someone who doesn't spend all day on here, doesn't know the game was changed till (s)he got a tardy email from the club, a situation that could and should be very easily rectified with a little technological synching. maybe some of the peeps on here perhaps don't always sense the extent of other football fans' lives - even season ticket holders.

Walking past me before the home game following Gerry Gow's death were two 50-odd-year-olds who, on seeing a picture of him, said, "Oh, yeah, Gerry Gow died didn't he?" Now, to most City fans - and indeed these two old enough to have seen and idolised GG, surely (they didn't look like Jonny-come-latelys to me) - the fact that Gerry Gow's death hadn't really registered in the intervening two weeks (one week?) would be anathema to how they live their/our lives. It occurred to me then just how small the proportion of some people's lives is taken up by City. By its nature, nearly all of us on here are not in that group. But you can't even categorise otibbers - Dr Balls might not come on here very often, either, despite being signed up. 

You would, indeed, think a season ticket holder would be 'even more keen' than most, more keen than non-season ticket holders. But that just can't be 100% true. There must be City nuts who can't afford a season ticket and yet devour everything red&white that they can, up to the point of standing outside the Gate smelling the burgers on home games they aren't attending; conversely there must be season ticket holders, perhaps such as Dr Balls, who, despite being in possession of said season ticket, might not go to every game, might not talk about City every week (not even every day), might not ever go on twit/facebook/the site etc.

As for it being comparable to having a wee on the lid before someone says 'lift it up, will you', I'm not sure where to go with that. Except that, ok, maybe Dr Balls is unusual and could have looked into any fixture changes, but without knowing his/her life, I think it's pretty judgmental to call him/her out for it. For all we know, there may be reasons unknown to us - personal, work, health, social, financial - why Dr B hasn't got round to finding out. Who knows, maybe it's not no.1 priority, maybe something else is and s/he's been taken aback by this. I'm sure lessons will have been learnt all round. Who knows, maybe we'll all understand better the vast array of types of fans we have and give each other a break. After all, we're not bottom of the table.

Yet.

You Reds!

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You're absolutely right , the club should consult every supporter before changing games .

:disapointed2se:

And the club should also provide a free smartphone  with just one app (bcfc) to anyone that doesn't do social media or look things up on a computer. Better still, a gert massive searchlight should be placed on top of the Lansdown Stand. When there's an important announcement, like a fixture change, they could shine a silhouetted Robin onto the cloud base. This would mean that those who haven't any tech should buy a Bristol Post to find out the important newsflash.

Archived