IGNORED

Cauley Woodrow (Merged)

cummins17

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Have we had any Callum's before O'Dowda?

Smart money on me forgetting a bloody obvious example ;) 

Robinson, but I'm sure someone else has replied by now. I cross checked it all. I was surprised we had an Arnold before.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nigel Clough has suggested there is a permie option on the end too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40963946

I'd be interested to know the option we have built in at the end of the season. Hopefully the price is set already and we have first refusal at that price. Otherwise we are just developing talent for a Championship rival. 

5 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

I'd be interested to know the option we have built in at the end of the season. Hopefully the price is set already and we have first refusal at that price. Otherwise we are just developing talent for a Championship rival. 

I'd hope so too.  what do you think of him as a player?

Spoke in his interview of not getting enough consistent game time at Fulham. From the way he sounded when talking about it (and adding in some Wilbraham-Bolton presumption logic), he doesn't sound too keen on them right now. Got to wonder whether that might a reason why Fulham's fans want him to go - maybe he's stated publicly before that he should be playing more.

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

So whos place is he taking ?

I think he'll tart on the bench on Sat; as can't see LJ changing Fam and Bobby for a home game just yet.

Brentford away showed how light we were options wise up top with Hinds (who I also like) coming on.

Saw Woodrow twice last year at home and in the cup away, and thought he looked good. He was the main reason that Burton stayed up, and that shows good character for a loan signing who is so young.

Got a good feeling about this loan, as it looks like a sensible bit of business at last. Fingers crossed anyhow.

24 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Don't know much about him tbh but his stats at Championship level and England age group appearances would suggest he's a much better bet than someone like Vassell. How about you?

Yep, been bigging him up all summer on OTIB.  I try to identify 'realistic' signings, no idea he was on our radar, but was hoping he'd have a quiet international u21 summer to avoid others taking a fancy.  Funnily enough Tammy helped take the spotlight away from him.  I think he has a decent all-round game and can play off of Diedhiou, with Reid, or on his own (like he did for Burton v us).  LJ said similar in his press conference today...perhaps he does read OTIB!

I think he's sharp, quick touches, clever touches, without being over-quick. He's hardworking too, so should fit in.

Of course he might end up being terrible, but it's funny that both him and Diedhiou were on my summer list....but never expected us to pay £5.3m, so ruled Famara out.  He might not start every game, but I think ultimately him and Diedhiou will pair the majority of the time if they both settle.  But we now have options to not flog Famara, who is probably amazed at how high the tempo is and it's duration for a full 90 in England...and every match too.  Remember Kodjia made a tidy start for us, but then went a bit off the boil until the new year in 15/16.  We need to look after our record signing.  

Quotes from a Fulham mate:

"Useless" ... "Makes no sense" ... "He's rubbish, did little at a shit Burton side" ... "Can't get in our team & we have no strikers" ... "Not Championship quality" ... "He should be good, he tries, but can't finish for shit" ... "He's 22, but for 4 years he's not got better" ...

He was also convinced they'd win the playoffs last season, has regularly told Andy Murray to retire, & loves Roy Hodgson, so...

I'd say he's just jealous.

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I think he'll tart on the bench on Sat; as can't see LJ changing Fam and Bobby for a home game just yet.

Brentford away showed how light we were options wise up top with Hinds (who I also like) coming on.

Saw Woodrow twice last year at home and in the cup away, and thought he looked good. He was the main reason that Burton stayed up, and that shows good character for a loan signing who is so young.

Got a good feeling about this loan, as it looks like a sensible bit of business at last. Fingers crossed anyhow.

Good post....

but :   'he'll tart on the bench' ??

Not a chance - ...That's Rudolph's job !!!  :) 

Interesting read on the exiled Robin about him link

He spoke to a Fulham fan about him and what he had to say was interesting. Sample quotes:

Cauley Woodrow isn't a bad player by any means. He's probably a fine striker at the lower levels of the Championship or League One.
He also isn't a great fit for Fulham's system. He's not small, but he's not really big enough to be your typical hold-up forward. He's not slow and unathletic, but he's not fast and mobile enough to be used on the wing

He's got fairly good technical skills, andideally he needs to be paired with another forward in a 4-4-2. If you have a speedier technical player Woodrow can combine well with him. If you have a bigger forward, he can float around and find space and combine with other players in the attack.

Part of the reason Fulham fans are down on Woodrow is that they had quite high hopes for him. He was a key figure in some academy teams that had a lot of success and played a lot for England youth teams. His development just kind of stalled after that.

Edit: had some issues with the quote mechanic 

And its just on loan? 

Um so we allow one of our own young strikers to piss off on loan so we can sign a young player on loan from another championship club who his own fans hate?

Amazing bit of business all round then. Man Engvall must be really SHIT in training for this to happen.

51 minutes ago, Atticus said:

And its just on loan? 

Um so we allow one of our own young strikers to piss off on loan so we can sign a young player on loan from another championship club who his own fans hate?

Amazing bit of business all round then. Man Engvall must be really SHIT in training for this to happen.

Write him off before he's even kicked a ball, lovely stuff.

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Write him off before he's even kicked a ball, lovely stuff.

I'm not writing off shit mate. I'm just reacting from his OWN club fans and his record

I'm merely stating why this had to happen? We sent Engvall off on loan, to loan a championship striker?!? 

Makes no sense to me unless Engvall is shite.

54 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I'm not writing off shit mate. I'm just reacting from his OWN club fans and his record

I'm merely stating why this had to happen? We sent Engvall off on loan, to loan a championship striker?!? 

Makes no sense to me unless Engvall is shite.

Engvall hasn't settled, he's still only young so it's a bit soon to write him off.

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You're on form today kid!

I've got a brand new hip, no work for four months so will be regularly trawling these waters. My facts based on middle son who used to be a Fulham season ticket holder and has decent links with the club. To be fair I've never heard of him 

43 minutes ago, shelts said:

I've got a brand new hip, no work for four months so will be regularly trawling these waters. My facts based on middle son who used to be a Fulham season ticket holder and has decent links with the club. To be fair I've never heard of him 

Get Shelts with a new hip.. Time for a come back eh?

Just don't  wear those shorts you used to cycle round Benmy in.

CAULEY Woodrow will not be returning to Burton Albion after the Brewers were unable to conclude a new loan deal for the striker.

Woodrow joined the Brewers in the January transfer window and his goals helped secure saftey last season.

Nigel Clough had hoped to bring him back to the Pirelli but he has today revealed that Woodrow will not be returning.

He said: "Cauley is going elsewhere, with a possible permanent at the end of the season so Fulham prefer him to go there. We understand that and we move on to the next targets.

"There was a couple of deals that Fulham put to us and a lot of clubs are putting in clauses where if you don't play a certain amount of games you pay a hefty fee at the end. That's always a problem for us but if another club come in they will always outbid us in the Championship."

Clough does hope to strengthen his squad in the next few days.

"We have agreed deals with two Championshp clubs until January so we are just working on them now.

"We don't expect the squad to be settled until after the international break as there are lot of teams hanging onto their players at the moment. We know we are three or four players short and we will get them in during the window but that might not be for a couple of games.

"It's more difficult this season. Wages have gone up in the Premier League and that filters down. A lot of clubs are saying we will keep our players or are looking for full cover of their wages and we can't afford that. At the end of the window, if they haven't received that we are in with a shout so we have to be patient."

• Admin
10 hours ago, Olé said:

Robinson, but I'm sure someone else has replied by now. I cross checked it all. I was surprised we had an Arnold before.

Yeah I belatedly realised in my reason for editing the post :laugh:

We could delve into the Academy for forward Kel Akpobire or midfielder Obi Edwards?

51 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

You got to wonder why Fulham didn't think he was good enough, championship footballer or not, 8 goals in 50 odd appearances for a striker isn't that great - let's hope he gets better ratio here

bit like when we thought cunningham and Ayling wasn't good enough,

you also for got to add the 5 goals in 15 at Burton

Archived