IGNORED

Flashback for the fans video : Paul Cheesley

1960maaan

The next cab off the rank, probably the saddest injury story and the biggest 'what if' for any City payer. 
For those too young Cheese was big, strong , turn of pace , good in the air and could use both feet. Called up for England U23's , he turned down the chance and instead played for City in a promotion game. Personally I think he could and would have played for the full team had he not got injured, also history could have been changed as we never got a quality replacement. We had Royal, Ritchie etc and of course on of my heroes Chris Garland (who scored some of the goals to keep us up) but we never again had that presence up front. If in any doubt what might have been, check out the footage of the Arsenal away game , first game of the season .

That Arsenal game for you youngsters.

It was his goals that got us promoted in the first place.  Best striker ive ever seen at AG and im aure would have played for England.  Big, strong, powerful shot, powerful header and quick too.  Also had the strikers knack ofbeing in the right place at the right time and could produce a goal out of nothing. Never understood why Norwich let him go.

I wonder if his knee could have been fixed with modern techniques and materials, though im guessing probably not.

To be honest though, he never got the chance to prove himself in the top flight as he got injured in the second game.

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

It was his goals that got us promoted in the first place.  Best striker ive ever seen at AG and im aure would have played for England.  Big, strong, powerful shot, powerful header and quick too.  Also had the strikers knack ofbeing in the right place at the right time and could produce a goal out of nothing. Never understood why Norwich let him go.

I wonder if his knee could have been fixed with modern techniques and materials, though im guessing probably not.

To be honest though, he never got the chance to prove himself in the top flight as he got injured in the second game.

You're right about England as Paul was a better player than Paul Mariner imo.

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The next cab off the rank, probably the saddest injury story and the biggest 'what if' for any City payer. 
For those too young Cheese was big, strong , turn of pace , good in the air and could use both feet. Called up for England U23's , he turned down the chance and instead played for City in a promotion game. Personally I think he could and would have played for the full team had he not got injured, also history could have been changed as we never got a quality replacement. We had Royal, Ritchie etc and of course on of my heroes Chris Garland (who scored some of the goals to keep us up) but we never again had that presence up front. If in any doubt what might have been, check out the footage of the Arsenal away game , first game of the season .

The greatest day I ever had following City. We played brilliantly and but for the woodwork and Jimmy Rimmer in goal we could have had 6!

Paul came from Gordano and City missed him. Norwich scouted him though.

Paul was on his way to AG to play for Norwich Reserves when Alan D rang Norwich for permission to speak to Paul about signing for us. 

The big cheese didn't overly impress in 74-75, but came good and then some in that glorious 75-76 season.

Big thanks to 1960maaan for dragging out that interview from god knows where, which I had not seen before.

Wonderful stuff

I'm from 1961, so right up my street, even if Malone was as cringeable as I remember.

Still remember cycling back from my paper round reading about our promotion in the Evening Post (when it really was a newspaper and evening!) the previous May and riding into the back of a car.

Lesson in life learned – look where you are going - whatever the distractions!

On 17/08/2017 at 12:33, 1960maaan said:

Ol Rog there , the inspiration for Alan Partridge .

Did Cheeseley really say think with his ' ball '. ? 

My original poster name was ' Always the Bridesmaid '  the great man's injury was another ' What if ? '  moment .

We are so often the ' nearly ' team .

New on here so please break me in gently! Just wondering if over the years we've suffered more from career ending injuries to outstanding players than other clubs?  I realise it's an awfully long time ago but vividly remember the crack around the ground when Gerry Sharpe broke his leg in 1971.  I've detested 'Boro' ever since.  Five years later Cheesley was also crocked and another star stopped in his tracks.  Often thought about an alternative past with both Sharpe and  Whitehead putting in crosses for the Cheese to terrorise opposition defences and what might have been.   Those two could have changed the whole future of the club and 1980-82 may have been entirely different.  Fully realise it's all conjecture but I'd be interested to hear the views of other fans particularly those of similarly ancient vintage to me!  

One of my favourite City players (hence the name), my Dad always goes on about Cheesley and how instrumental he was during City's promotion year. If I remember correctly I think he got injured in a collision with Shilton. I always feel for players from that era as the medical treatment just didn't exist like it does now. Like others have said City's history could have been quite different if  he hadn't got injured.

I always enjoy watching a few Cheesley goals from the archives, 100% commitment and he seemed to hang in the air waiting for the ball.  

Archived