IGNORED

LJ today's speaker at Senior Reds

Robbored

3 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I am somewhat gobsmacked that someone who lives in the area, purports to be intelligent and is of an age that has seen Severn Bridges built (both of them) does not have the geographical knowledge that Cardiff is some 40 miles West of Bristol...........

Largely because I'm not remotely interested which City is closer to Leicester.  I mean who really cares?  :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Ian M said:

This thread has developed into its own version of Chinese Whispers. @Robbored hasn't claimed that LJ said Cardiff was closer to Leicester. He said that travelling from Leicester to Bristol was a strain due to his wife not wishing to remain in Bristol for reasons he couldn't go into. Those reasons are hardly a secret on here and have been posted many a time before. Wifey caught Tommo being a very naughty boy with the hired help. 

The same man who has a clothing brand called 'the loyal love', oh the irony 

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tone, LJ never said Cardiff was closer. In fact he never mentioned Cardiff. It was me assuming that it was but obviously that was the wrong assumption...... :blink:

Just a tad !!

If we ever do a road trip together do you mind if I read the map ?

• Admin
48 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Robbo

Cardiff to Leicester is 118 miles in a straight line.

Bristol to Leicester is 102 miles in a straight line.

If LJ came out with that one then I stand 100% beside my opinion that he talks complete bollycocks.

Even more disturbing is the fact that anyone listening to him actually believed it !!

Don't agree, Warnock is clearly happy to tolerate the travelling and potential affects it had on Tomlin. As mentioned before Tomlin and O'Neil both knew when they signed that they were expected to move to the area, O'Neil did, Tomlin didn't 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Don't agree, Warnock is clearly happy to tolerate the travelling and potential affects it had on Tomlin. As mentioned before Tomlin and O'Neil both knew when they signed that they were expected to move to the area, O'Neil did, Tomlin didn't 

And the club should have enforced the relevant clause in the contract and didn't, however if what Robbo says is correct then Tomlin DID move to the area but his Wife wanted to move back to Leicester. The reasons behind this are his business and not ours. The problem is that you have someone who looks at the bottom line of a contract and see's big bucks, however all the mumbo jumbo in between is irrelevant and only understood by their agents.

I also work on a contract basis but the difference is that I understand what I have signed and what is expected of me under the contract terms.

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

Warnock must be nuts to let Tomlin travel that far to training.

Cardiff train at the Vale of Glamorgan hotel and GC. I've been there when playing golf...very nice it is too.

LE2 where Tomlin lives is 157 miles and 3 hours drive on a good morning...longer if caught in the rush hour.

To Failand, it still 134 miles and 2 and half hours drive.

If you've sat in the car for that long, you can barely walk, let alone run after such a journey. It gets you right in the hip flexors.

Tomlin is hardly a natural Athlete either...no wonder he can't run.

Totally agree. Even if he employs someone to drive and has a car with lots of legroom, he has a choice of Bentley, Merc or Range Rover last I saw, he's still sat on his backside for 5 hours a day. And that can't be good for anyone, never mind someone playing sport professionally. 

And no, I couldn't work out why moving to Cardiff would cut down the commute either!

23 minutes ago, BigTone said:

And the club should have enforced the relevant clause in the contract and didn't, however if what Robbo says is correct then Tomlin DID move to the area but his Wife wanted to move back to Leicester. The reasons behind this are his business and not ours. The problem is that you have someone who looks at the bottom line of a contract and see's big bucks, however all the mumbo jumbo in between is irrelevant and only understood by their agents.

I also work on a contract basis but the difference is that I understand what I have signed and what is expected of me under the contract terms.

I think we did enforce it - we sold him. What other option did we have?

With the best will in the world you can't force him to actually move and if you've paid  £3m you don't tear up the contract for breach, you wait till the next opportunity and flog him. We may have fined him, that's between the club and himself. But the idea we could force him to move practically, I just don't see how. 

It's different from your average contractor; who normally invests £3m in one? 

40 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I think we did enforce it - we sold him. What other option did we have?

With the best will in the world you can't force him to actually move and if you've paid  £3m you don't tear up the contract for breach, you wait till the next opportunity and flog him. We may have fined him, that's between the club and himself. But the idea we could force him to move practically, I just don't see how. 

It's different from your average contractor; who normally invests £3m in one? 

A contract is a contract regardless

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

A contract is a contract regardless

A contract is nothing but words on paper if there is no practical way to enforce it. What happens; we stop paying, he's sues, we counter sue, takes time to sort.... Or we sell him in the next window without the mess? We certainly took the easiest (And I would say only practical) path. 

Look at what's going on with Diego Costa... Tevez did it too. You can fine them, and no one's suggested we didn't Tomlin, but you can't physically kidnap someone. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Explained in some detail about Engvall saying that Gus comes from an island just of the coast of Sweden and over there he's a big fish In a small sea and that Gus had found it difficult to adjust to life in England and hasn't developed as much as anticipated but also that his progress was hampered by his injury which held him back.

Tomlin - a "lovely lad" whose personal situation began to show in his performances in games but also in training. Travelling 6 hours a day to and from Leicester where his wife and four kids lived. She did move to Bristol but moved back for "reasons I can't go in to"

Spoke in detail about "mindset" and mentioned about getting ahead but not being able to "see the game out" and took responsibility for that saying he's seen the team stop playing with the same style as earlier in the game even though he'd given them permission  "to fail". It's a work in progress I guess. I found him very interesting to listen to.

Engvall comes from Öland one of the biggest islands in Europe but he has lived in Gothenburg for many years (similar size to Bristol). He has never been a big fish in Sweden. People truly laughted at the fee paid. Seems to have been a nonsence event. Donald Duck talking.

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Engvall comes from Öland one of the biggest islands in Europe but he has lived in Gothenburg for many years (similar size to Bristol). He has never been a big fish in Sweden. People truly laughted at the fee paid. Seems to have been a nonsence event. Donald Duck talking.

Swedish football is of a low standard when compared to the Championship but Engvall is scoring for fun in the league over there - apparently........

21 minutes ago, 29AR said:

A contract is nothing but words on paper if there is no practical way to enforce it. What happens; we stop paying, he's sues, we counter sue, takes time to sort.... Or we sell him in the next window without the mess? We certainly took the easiest (And I would say only practical) path. 

Look at what's going on with Diego Costa... Tevez did it too. You can fine them, and no one's suggested we didn't Tomlin, but you can't physically kidnap someone. 

Which is everything wrong with football today. Pay me £20k per week and I will agree whole heartedly to the terms you specify ........................ ah bollycocks, on second thoughts it's only words on a piece of paper.

5 minutes ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

Without wishing to cast aspersions could it be that if Mr Tomlin has indeed dallied where he shouldn't, and that, hypothetically this took place in Bristol..., that Mrs Tomlin has insisted on a move elsewhere. In which case the distance to Leicester is irrelevant, it is the distance FROM Bristol that matters...

What I was thinking. But Cardiff? If that was really the case he would have moved to Aberdeen or further…:whistle:

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Spoke very well and came across as guy who is very knowledgeable and thoughtful about football and of course City.

Some interesting insights into Engvall, Tomlin, Reid and Hinds.

Yes he does - it's how he (1) impressed Steve Lansdown in the first place, and (2) been employed by, so far, 3 different football clubs.

Trouble is, he's all talk and very little else. Did anyone have the cajones to ask him an awkward question or two, I wonder? Probably not the forum to do so.

Until he shows he can walk the walk, as well as talk the talk (at which he's very good), for me "the jury's still out" (to quote from a different thread)

12 minutes ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

Without wishing to cast aspersions could it be that if Mr Tomlin has indeed dallied where he shouldn't, and that, hypothetically this took place in Bristol..., that Mrs Tomlin has insisted on a move elsewhere. In which case the distance to Leicester is irrelevant, it is the distance FROM Bristol that matters...

Bingo

16 minutes ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

You're almost there.... Tomlin lived in Bristol on loan with us last year. Was thinking about uprooting said family to Bristol....ended up getting in with 'another crowd' shall we say...wife then refused to move and essentially said move back to Leic or you'll be a single man

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

You're almost there.... Tomlin lived in Bristol on loan with us last year. Was thinking about uprooting said family to Bristol....ended up getting in with 'another crowd' shall we say...wife then refused to move and essentially said move back to Leic or you'll be a single man

Bloody hell Wilbs, you were supposed to be Kevin Costner to his Whitney Houston!

59 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Which is everything wrong with football today. Pay me £20k per week and I will agree whole heartedly to the terms you specify ........................ ah bollycocks, on second thoughts it's only words on a piece of paper.

Don't disagree with any of that. It absolutely stinks, glad he isn't our problem anymore. 

1 hour ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

......and if hypothetically this took place within the club, could that be why he appeared to fall out of favour with many of his team mates???

(again without wishing to cast aspersions!)

Sounds interesting, although with the commute it really isn't that much longer to Cardiff from Leicester and I'd be tempted to say with traffic as you get to avoid the cluster **** that is the m4 m5 interchange it could well be very, very similar. 

Clearly 90 minutes less is somewhat optimistic, unless tommo was parking at cribbs and walking :D but it's not quite as rediculous as it sounds. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Swedish football is of a low standard when compared to the Championship but Engvall is scoring for fun in the league over there - apparently........

If you really believe the serial horse shit you have been fed about "lovely lad" Tomlin and the Engvall utter fairy tales, I suggest you avoid anyone trying to sell you anything or any sharp objects..

Archived