IGNORED

Quality or quantity

The Humble Realist

With the new signing today we are certainly adding quantity to our ranks but we are we adding quality. 

We have effectively replaced tammy with fammy, tomlin with elisson , little with pisano , engvall with woodrow and possibly flint with Baker.  

The new signing today sums it up...im sure that at worse he will be a decent squad player but if you combine him with taylor , engvall and Đurić (who  I like) we seem to be signing lots of players with unproven championship records.

To me it feels like the squad is still much of a muchness quality wise...the only other thing to add is the younger players are a year older which you'd hope would lead to a better quality of team.

On a wider note where are the leaders ....Flint is a big leader but not sure that the new signings are likely to have a similar impact ? 

28 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

With the new signing today we are certainly adding quantity to our ranks but we are we adding quality. 

We have effectively replaced tammy with fammy, tomlin with elisson , little with pisano , engvall with woodrow and possibly flint with Baker.  

The new signing today sums it up...im sure that at worse he will be a decent squad player but if you combine him with taylor , engvall and Đurić (who  I like) we seem to be signing lots of players with unproven championship records.

To me it feels like the squad is still much of a muchness quality wise...the only other thing to add is the younger players are a year older which you'd hope would lead to a better quality of team.

On a wider note where are the leaders ....Flint is a big leader but not sure that the new signings are likely to have a similar impact ? 

One of my biggest concerns atm - we seemed to have got rid of or are in process of getting rid of our characters / leaders (Still think Wilbs is a big loss in the dressing room)

When we are under the cosh at Wolves , Sheff Weds or wherever , or 2 down at home , or any number of times that inevitably will occur  through the season,  we are going to need leaders and I don't see too many if any

Don't think we were over blessed last season - When things are going well little need for leaders - it's the tough times they become invaluable and I think we're a contributor in our poor run

We appear to be worse off in leader terms it would appear atm

Time for some to,step forward I guess / hope

37 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Today LJ said that the squad is stronger this season than last but did hint at the lack of leaders saying that in his playing days he had Orr and Carey behind him telling him what to do and Elliot alongside him. 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

One of my biggest concerns atm - we seemed to have got rid of or are in process of getting rid of our characters / leaders (Still think Wilbs is a big loss in the dressing room)

When we are under the cosh at Wolves , Sheff Weds or wherever , or 2 down at home , or any number of times that inevitably will occur  through the season,  we are going to need leaders and I don't see too many if any

Don't think we were over blessed last season - When things are going well little need for leaders - it's the tough times they become invaluable and I think we're a contributor in our poor run

We appear to be worse off in leader terms it would appear atm

Time for some to,step forward I guess / hope

Strange. I think we're better off than this time last year in that respect.

If you look at the outs then Little wasn't a leader, Tomlin was (in a bad way eventually), Freeman wasn't and Tammy eventually became one. I've expressed elsewhere why, for all his qualities, I don't see Flint as a leader so for me the big loss is Wilbs (and I agree that he will be missed and in view of Đurić, I'd have kept him at least until we signed Woodrow). 

Since last year, we've added Wright who is a leader, Baker, who for me on that score is like for like with Flint and Pisano who has been captain at prior clubs. Add to that you see Pack maturing more in that respect, Smith as a constant and what I see as players with future leadership qualities (Brownhill and Vyner for me), and I acknowledge we've lost our best, off pitch leader but on pitch, we're no worse and marginally better off.

Where there is something missing is an up front leader. Last year at the end we had a vocal leadership spine (FF/BW/MP&KS/TA). We're definitely missing the spike of that which is what may hurt us

Hmmmmmmm ........

:unsure:

"Quality or quantity", eh? That old chestnut ........

Well.

:tumbleweed:

All depends on what ye is talking abowt.

:farmer:

'Horses for courses', I tink.

Quantity: strikers who can't stop scoring. Yep - I'd take quantity.

Quality: holiday jets. Yep - I'd take quality there my friends.

:huh:

Hang on a minute .........

Veronica Zemanova - quality AND quantity rolled into one!!

Problem solved!

:banana:

tfj

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Don't believe either SL or LJ want anything other than yes men. Disappointing to say the least

He who pays, says, the rest do as they are told or leave.

3 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

We are building for the future, I don't think I`m gonna like where that's going to be though; but I will however wait to be amazed and wrong......could be a while.

Purely on the basis of ensuring that I am well informed in considering the question raised by the OP, I have now (well) acquainted myself with the works of Ms Zemanova, whom until now wasn't known to me. And I must say tfj you make an extremely good point.

I don't know why, but two up front and one in the hole seems to be occupying my thoughts just at this moment.

A lot of posters on this forum don't seem to grasp the realities of our current situation. The OP bemoans the lack of an 'unproven championship record' but fails to grasp that players with 'proven championship records' will be 1- prohibitively expensive and 2- unlikely to consider a sideways/backwards move to another championship club. In my opinion the strategy we have adopted (buying players who are likely to develop)  is the right one and is in fact the ONLY one available to us given that we don't have a bottomless pit of money and lack the finances of many of our competitors with their parachute payments and egotistical foreign owners.

4 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

A lot of posters on this forum don't seem to grasp the realities of our current situation. The OP bemoans the lack of an 'unproven championship record' but fails to grasp that players with 'proven championship records' will be 1- prohibitively expensive and 2- unlikely to consider a sideways/backwards move to another championship club. In my opinion the strategy we have adopted (buying players who are likely to develop)  is the right one and is in fact the ONLY one available to us given that we don't have a bottomless pit of money and lack the finances of many of our competitors with their parachute payments and egotistical foreign owners.

...or journeyman pros, doing the rounds in the Championship, picking up one cheque, then waiting for the next, with no ambition or motivation or drive. Just because they've played in the Championship, doesn't mean they are good enough...as they are still in the Championship and haven't moved on to better things.

Would much rather have young hungry players from other leagues, either British or foreign, who want to prove themselves and better themselves...not here just for the money.

They may wish to use us as a stepping stone...but so what? It means they are going to play well to put themselves in the window.

Totally agree with your post.

Archived