IGNORED

Cauley Woodrow - a Fulham fans view

Cravenuk

I have joined this site purely to comment on this thread. I was surprised that he didn't go back to Burton to be honest as he did well there last year. Cauley is a great player but for some reason has a few critics amongst Fulham supporters, with a small amount really disliking him. It's a shame as he will work his socks off in every game he plays.

He won our goal of the season last year - Leyton Orient away in the League Cup - Google it, it's something to behold. I am a fan, but he just hasn't really progressed from his early promise. That being said, like any young player he needs game time, which he wasn't going to get at Fulham.

Good luck to him. If he starts badly, he will look like a donkey and your supporters will be on his back, but i wish him well.

13 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

https://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/cauley-woodrow-view-from-cottage.html

A piece on why we need the extra striker, a view on Engvall and also what Woodrow may bring to Ashton Gate, including thoughts from Fulham bloggers, Cottagers Confidential.

Thanks for reading, all

I really hope he is a revelation and helps us progress. My fear is he is just another average player (not a bad player!) who just about helps us to stay up.

Time will tell.

45 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I really hope he is a revelation and helps us progress. My fear is he is just another average player (not a bad player!) who just about helps us to stay up.

Time will tell.

I believe this is a no lose situation for City . 

The player coming in knows that competition will be strong when all our forwards are fit and has been given a chance to prove himself and earn a contract if he does.

His record is reasonable and he can still improve.

If it doesn't work out he goes back to his parent club and City aren't lumbered with a player on a long contract .

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Time will tell.

Suppose it doesn't matter if he's average if he's just there to help out when our main players aren't available, you need some like that in the squad. If he turns out to be better than that then it's a bonus.

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe this is a no lose situation for City . 

The player coming in knows that competition will be strong when all our forwards are fit and has been given a chance to prove himself and earn a contract if he does.

His record is reasonable and he can still improve.

If it doesn't work out he goes back to his parent club and City aren't lumbered with a player on a long contract .

I dont disagree with the sentiment.

I just never feel like we sign players will help win promotion.

Fulham not that complimentary then. But Burton wanted him back and are disappointed not to. He was instrumental in them staying up. He's at an age where he can develop and improve. We haven't been that successful in recent times with strikers (Tammy and Wilbs apart) Hope he does well with us. We will see.

19 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I dont disagree with the sentiment.

I just never feel like we sign players will help win promotion.

Is anyone convinced promotion is the goal?  Have a feeling that a moderately successful Championship team leading to gradually increasing gates up to the 22k -24k average may well make more sense for sustainability.

If we got promoted our squad would get slaughtered in the Prem and I wouldn't trust any 'very' expensive recruitment to guarantee survival in the 1st season.

I understand there are parachute payments but it's still a risk.

I see a lot of talk of promotion but no evidence of it being a real aim.

Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing btw.

4 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Is anyone convinced promotion is the goal?  Have a feeling that a moderately successful Championship team leading to gradually increasing gates up to the 22k -24k average may well make more sense for sustainability.

If we got promoted our squad would get slaughtered in the Prem and I wouldn't trust any 'very' expensive recruitment to guarantee survival in the 1st season.

Good post.  We need to be careful what we wish for.  To overperform (as we did in 2008) and get within sight of promotion before we have the squad and resources to sustain could be disastrous.  Look how the club got it wrong after 2008/9: when we should have been gradually building a squad we started throwing money at big name signings which ultimately backfired on us big time.  The key for me is how long we can hold on to the good players, because I have no doubt in my own mind that the likes of Brownhill, O'Dowda, Brian and even Vyner and Hinds are going to be very good players indeed in three years' time.  A comfortable mid-table finish is what we need this season and might be better than sneaking into the play-offs at the moment.

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

For league one .

That was then-this is now.

Sorry, it was the word 'never' that I was responding to.  I think we are signing players who, in the fullness of time, might very well help us win promotion, but not this season.  However, if we keep improving and hold on to the good young players we have, we will be there or thereabouts in two or three seasons' time, which is good enough for me.  Something to look forward to!

25 minutes ago, robinreliant said:

Fulham not that complimentary then. But Burton wanted him back and are disappointed not to. He was instrumental in them staying up. He's at an age where he can develop and improve. We haven't been that successful in recent times with strikers (Tammy and Wilbs apart) Hope he does well with us. We will see.

I'd argue that in recent times - it's the only position we have been successful with!

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good post.  We need to be careful what we wish for.  To overperform (as we did in 2008) and get within sight of promotion before we have the squad and resources to sustain could be disastrous.  Look how the club got it wrong after 2008/9: when we should have been gradually building a squad we started throwing money at big name signings which ultimately backfired on us big time.  The key for me is how long we can hold on to the good players, because I have no doubt in my own mind that the likes of Brownhill, O'Dowda, Brian and even Vyner and Hinds are going to be very good players indeed in three years' time.  A comfortable mid-table finish is what we need this season and might be better than sneaking into the play-offs at the moment.

I am only projecting but I guess LJ is happy to tow this line rather some of the more experienced managers who will only accept a full on push to the Prem, he just needs to make sure we're not flirting with bloody L1 again.

To be honest I don't know what I want, I obviously want to see City play the best but I would be worried at what the true cost would be.

Prem football is rarely sustainable with 27k capacity.

13 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I think it is an aim, but not a short term aim, I think the aim is to get established in the Championship and build a squad that is capable of challenging for promotion over a period and then look to follow the West Brom model, in that you go up, sign some players that give you a chance of staying up but mainly ensure you build a championship winning side, then if you do come back down you give yourself a very good chance of promotion and then go again.

Much as I would be delighted in many ways to see us perform way above expectations and get to the playoffs i'm not sure it would necessarily be a good thing, just like last time, I loved every minute of it, but it all went horribly wrong from that point on.

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'd argue that in recent times - it's the only position we have been successful with!

Yes I now what you are saying but what I mean is (and I appreciate that defence has been our main problem) bringing in strikers and them being successful consistently has been a problem also i.e. Engval has been a disappointment. ( and I repeat Tammy and Wilbs were great for us) but they aren't here now and the backup we had for them has been non existent due to injuries . We are trying to make do and mend in that department at the moment.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The back 4 that played against Brentford look solid to me. 

I do hope so.

If we ship two goals every game then the Europa league will still be a dream ..................

I didn't say out-scoring the opposition (having conceded a few) is not a sound game plan for every match we play, but I've rarely seen it get a team promoted.

It's a hard job for a manager to get right, which is why I have no wish to become a football league manager - like Lee Johnson* is.

:cool2:

tfj

* other managers are available.

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

Who are you expecting us to sign?! You do realise we're a relatively small team at this level right?

Plus the small matter that we have already shelled out around £9m this window (Diedhiou £5.3m, Eliasson £1.8m, Baker rumoured to be circa £2m) with only the Tomlin fee ("up to £2.9m") so far coming back in the other direction.

Leaving aside how well (or not) LJ has spent the funds that have been given to him, it seems pretty weird to criticise the owner for this particular issue, when we certainly spend a lot more than we could otherwise afford..

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Defended brilliantly. Apart from 2 or 3 mistakes from pisano and bryan got beat once by Jota. All their shots were from long range. 

........... are you related to the Captain of the Bismark, by any chance??

tfj

Archived