IGNORED

Jamie McCombe - Interview

P'head Red

24 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Following on from the interview with Ivan a couple of weeks ago, it's nice to see an interview with Jamie, another one who's always thinking of how things might have been different if he had played THAT day.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/bctv/

Great share. What a top, top bloke. Never the "best" centre-half for the City - he faces stiff competition - but in terms of attitude and effort and down-to-earthness, a top, top bloke. Plus some vital, vital goals.

Really touching how he says he wishes he'd never left us.

I was teaching in a school off Whiteladies Road during his time with us. Bumped in to him several times around the corner of Lower Redland Rd, just down from and on the same side as the Jersey Lily pub. Probably over a spell of about one year I bumped into him about six or seven times. I never introduced myself as such but he always stopped to chat for way longer than a 'star' footballer might. He was always very candid about how the team were doing, self-depricating about himself and enthusiastic about our fair city. It was patently clear he loved being here. He lived nearby somewhere, around the Redland area. 

Through a mate/City fan who worked for Granada TV and used to cover northern games and wangle it so as he could go to City games, I got Jamie's white/grey shirt from the Doncaster away win, in March 07 when he scored the 87th min winner. Bizarre, that must have been for him, being from Pontefract nearby and his family being there that day.

Suffice to say, luckily I wasn't wearing the shirt when I bumped into him. I'd have looked a right bellend. (More so than usual, some would say)

(Any link to the Ion interview, save a bit of time? Cheeky)

Just watched the interview all the way through now. What a normal, salt-of-the-earth type of bloke he comes across as. In this day and age (and it perhaps shows how even more pampered football has become in the past decade), his type is a rarity. What a lovely interview. Top, top bloke. Boom-Boom.

Especially normal and self-effacing when describing his over-head kick v Hull at home in Feb (the last game they lost that season), "I just did what I do!"

Me and a few STH mates had the pleasure of a night out with Jamie, his brother (also a pro footballer) their dad and a few others after the promotion season players awards. 

He is a genuinely top bloke, humble, salt of the earth type. Kept in touch with him after that and he sorted out a few extra play off final tickets for me after it had sold out. 

Such a shame his last couple of seasons were injury hit. 

His outstanding memory for me was probably the best tackle I've ever seen anyone make, away at Carlisle. Incredible! 

9 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Just watched the interview all the way through now. What a normal, salt-of-the-earth type of bloke he comes across as. In this day and age (and it perhaps shows how even more pampered football has become in the past decade), his type is a rarity. What a lovely interview. Top, top bloke. Boom-Boom.

Especially normal and self-effacing when describing his over-head kick v Hull at home in Feb (the last game they lost that season), "I just did what I do!"

Lots of great guys in those promotion/playoff sides.

Alex Russell, who he mentioned in the interview, is another one. I'd forgotten about him. Very intelligent and nice guy - his interview would also be worth a watch if we did one.

I know he was coaching one of our youth sides a few years back but not sure what he's up to now. Felt he had the makings of a coach/manager. 

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Scored some absolutely crucial goals in our promotion season, great back four with Orr, Carey and McAllister.

The older model of Aden Flint.

Really enjoying these interviews. Would be nice to get one with Bradley Orr, Marvin Elliot, Jevons, Trundle etc

Agree that is is really interesting to have these ex players interviewed and hear their reflections on their time with us.

Really decent guy and nice to know he felt that time was special as much as us fans.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lots of great guys in those promotion/playoff sides.

Alex Russell, who he mentioned in the interview, is another one. I'd forgotten about him. Very intelligent and nice guy - his interview would also be worth a watch if we did one.

I know he was coaching one of our youth sides a few years back but not sure what he's up to now. Felt he had the makings of a coach/manager. 

I'm sure Aggy went to Tranmere as assistant when Rob Edwards took that on a couple of years ago. Didn't end well as I recall...

6 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Really good interview . Didn't realise he was at Lincoln. Be keeping an eye out for them now. Also is that John mcphail as your avatar 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Me and a few STH mates had the pleasure of a night out with Jamie, his brother (also a pro footballer) their dad and a few others after the promotion season players awards. 

He is a genuinely top bloke, humble, salt of the earth type. Kept in touch with him after that and he sorted out a few extra play off final tickets for me after it had sold out. 

His outstanding memory for me was probably the best tackle I've ever seen anyone make, away at Carlisle. Incredible! 

Palace at home, injury time equaliser always sticks in my mind. Warnock was livid! 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Used to see him in Princess Victoria St in Clifton quite a lot back in the day, mind you at 6ft 5 odd, he is pretty difficult to miss!

He lived just off Whiteladies Road, so was often around that area. 

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I'm sure Aggy went to Tranmere as assistant when Rob Edwards took that on a couple of years ago. Didn't end well as I recall...

I played against Alex Russell & Rob Edwards over the summer in a fundraising match. A team put together by Louis Carey. Also had Danny Coles and a few other ex players in the side. 

Aggy & Rob Edwards were a class apart, still! I think Aggy was at Manor Farm last season..? 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Superb memory - think that was at 0-1 before h-t. he then equalised on the stroke of h-t and the second half, having been a bit below par in the first 45, we came out and bossed it, Bradley Orr's goal being a Brazil-esque delight. Massive away win, we celebrated looong in to the night in Manchester after that. Got home on the Monday or so, as I remember. What a tackle, great shout Bar BS3. Possibly promoted us that tackle - lose at Carlisle (we may have gone 0-2 down) and our 2 pt advantage over Blackpool in the final analysis would've been wiped out (they had a better GD). And we all know how we do in play-offs....

5 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Superb memory - think that was at 0-1 before h-t. he then equalised on the stroke of h-t and the second half, having been a bit below par in the first 45, we came out and bossed it, Bradley Orr's goal being a Brazil-esque delight. Massive away win, we celebrated looong in to the night in Manchester after that. Got home on the Monday or so, as I remember. What a tackle, great shout Bar BS3. Possibly promoted us that tackle - lose at Carlisle (we may have gone 0-2 down) and our 2 pt advantage over Blackpool in the final analysis would've been wiped out (they had a better GD). And we all know how we do in play-offs....

John Ruddy in goal for us IIRC

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He lived just off Whiteladies Road, so was often around that area. 

Yep he lived with his wife and daughter in a flat in Cotham Hill for his last couple of years in Bristol. I met him a couple of times and, like @EnclosureSurge said, probably more so than any other player I've met, he was genuinely friendly and interested in chatting to you. Top man. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

What an unbelievable player he was. For him to be that slow but still as good as he was shows just how good his positioning and reading of the game was. 

Still genuinely believe to this day we'd have beaten Hull if he'd have started. 

We had some shit luck with our back four for that game. 

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Still to this day I can't understand him leaving.

From a probably wrong memory he seemed like one of the first of "that team" to move on.

Have it in my head that him, Orr & McAllister left in the same summer. Could be totally wrong though 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Used to see him in Princess Victoria St in Clifton quite a lot back in the day, mind you at 6ft 5 odd, he is pretty difficult to miss!

I did too, generally he was with the scouse contingent of Orr, Jevons and Russell. They were great times in Clifton Village back then. Now it's just full of pompous c***'s with stupid beards. 

Archived