IGNORED

Jamie McCombe - Interview

P'head Red

Of all the players I got to know a little in my time at AG, Jamie was one of the nicest, friendliest most genuine men you could wish to meet.

I remember arriving early at Wembley for the play off final as I was due to do a bit of pre match announcing. An hour or so before kick off I was standing in the tunnel as the players came out onto the pitch to warm up. To my surprise, Jamie was standing there in his matchday suit. 

'Why aren't you playing?' I asked, mystified as to why our defensive linchpin wasn't in the team. 

'I've not been well', he replied, simply. 

I'll never forget the look in his eyes as he stood there, watching his mates warming up on the pitch, knowing that his chance of playing at Wembley and competing for a place in the Premier League had been cruelly snatched away.

It was a frozen moment in time that will last long in the memory. 

Great interview. 

51 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

John Ruddy in goal for us IIRC

Called in on loan the morning of the game from Everton, the nearest club with a keep' available, Bob. That was his one game, Bass' played the other 45. Remember hearing on the morning in Carlisle that Bass' was injured (or summat). Began thinking, this is it, this is where it all goes tit shaped. We're foo-barred. Remember the away end (corner) welcoming Ruddy like a hero before the game and then, after a few decent saves, like he'd been playing for us all year. How crazy must it've been to turn up for one game, on the morning of k-o, not knowing any of the players, and not ''caring'' about how things were going bar being professional. Did a top job, as I recall, that day, Ruddy. He'll be the only player for Wolf I applaud when they come down on NYE eve. And the way they've started, we won't be beating them at home this season. But back to Jamie McCombe... top stuff.

Echo other comments on here about meeting him in person, remember one sunny afternoon (or evening, blurred vision slightly) outside the Apple and this big fella walks past.

My mouth worked quicker than my brain after a few Janet's Jungle Juice and instead of thinking 'that looks like Jamie McCombe' I just shouted out 'JAMIE!'

He was just heading down the steps and I was outside on the tables, but he stopped and came back and chatted with me for a good 10 mins or so about general shit - so completely down to earth so much as that when he left, my missus (clueless about football) thought he was just one of my mates she hadn't met before.

Lovely to hear he still thinks of the place in such high affinity.

BOOM BOOM 

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They're everywhere in BS3 now too. For fekin fooks sake. What the heck is the world coming to.

Wow! For fekin fooks sake gets through the filter!

But back on topic... only met him once, after the home game where he'd stuck his head in to tackle someone and got kicked in the eye for the pleasure.

I was at BRI A&E at the same time he was getting checked out - his eye was all over the shop, he must have been in all sorts of pain, yet he still found the time to stop and chat as he was leaving with his parents! Top man.  

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lots of great guys in those promotion/playoff sides.

Alex Russell, who he mentioned in the interview, is another one. I'd forgotten about him. Very intelligent and nice guy - his interview would also be worth a watch if we did one.

I know he was coaching one of our youth sides a few years back but not sure what he's up to now. Felt he had the makings of a coach/manager. 

Alex Russell is playing for Clevedon Town this season, alongside Clayton Fortune, Mickey Bell being the manager.

9 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

I thought it was a 5k release clause! Bargain of the century, might as well have not put one in!

I thought it was £5k too - but then I thought it just couldn't have been!? You can't even get a decent car for that. 

Even if it WAS £50k it was still a bargain. If it was £5k it was daylight robbery!

The following link suggests it was £5k

http://m.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s261/st152490.htm

Then came the moment that surprised everyone. When joining he had a clause put into his contract that was agreed by Keith Alexander and then chairman, Rob Bradley, that he had just a £5,000 clause that would allow any club to speak to him about a move, even to this day Steff Wright still gets blamed for that clause, even though he had nothing to do with it. Bristol City met that clause and McCombe left for Ashton Gate.

A fantastic signing by Gary Johnson and a key part of a great period for watching City. Even better that he is a good bloke. Good interview.

5 hours ago, David Brent said:

Then came the moment that surprised everyone. When joining he had a clause put into his contract that was agreed by Keith Alexander and then chairman, Rob Bradley, that he had just a £5,000 clause that would allow any club to speak to him about a move, even to this day Steff Wright still gets blamed for that clause, even though he had nothing to do with it. Bristol City met that clause and McCombe left for Ashton Gate.

A fantastic signing by Gary Johnson and a key part of a great period for watching City. Even better that he is a good bloke. Good interview.

I'm surprised they didn't cry to the FA that we had conveniently bid his low release fee bang on the button. That's what you do in these situations isn't it?

As Bar BS3 and Enclosure Surge recount with Boom Boom it will always be that tackle at Carlisle. Losing 1-0 , and it should have been 2-0 apart from a giant of a man makes a game changing tackle with a telescopic leg. We went down the other end almost immediately and score. We went on to win 1-3. Another thing about that game - apart from the large "boisterous" away support - was the Carlisle supporters clapping off our team at the final whistle . One of my favorite away days. 

6 hours ago, David Brent said:

That Pete Johnson, eh?

Instrumental when we picked up Basso from Woking too.

I thought he only was supposed to have made us sign shit players..

Archived