IGNORED

The Official Match Day Thread - 4 - Bristol City v Millwall

Just now, old_eastender said:

Agree with that in general as Fammy has not got the pace, but get the ball passed (not hoofed) to him and he will do much better.

And herein lies the problem. All I've seen is hoofball - admittedly I hadn't seen anything prior to Brentford, but if it weren't for the fact that so many people were talking about the neat & delicate one touch that baffled Birmingham (for 45 mins) and Barnsley, I simply wouldn't believe that it was true. 

Delighted to be able to say that I spent the afternoon enjoying sunshine in Cornwall. Travelling back up in time for the Villa match. This match thread has been a rather deflating read to say the least...what we need are the confident, consistent and commanding performances that well drilled and competent sides are capable of. We sound anything but confident and consistent at the moment...and rarely commanding. Pity, the season started so well...

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

And herein lies the problem. All I've seen is hoofball - admittedly I hadn't seen anything prior to Brentford, but if it weren't for the fact that so many people were talking about the neat & delicate one touch that baffled Birmingham (for 45 mins) and Barnsley, I simply wouldn't believe that it was true. 

Mystery, we did play really good stuff against Barnsley, Plymuff and 1st half v Brum. For those games we had Hegeler CB, now although he looked defensively a little suspect (culpable for Brum's winner) he was doing the carry out of the ball from defence and his passing is good. Wright & Baker look better defensively, but neither can bring the ball out in a controlled manner and get us moving forward as Hegeler showed. 

Add in Paterson showing for the ball and being heavily involved, followed by two 'do a few little runs and spend the rest of time being a passenger' performances and that goes some way to explaining the poor displays. 

• Like 3

We lost at Brum after outplaying them with our superb pressing and movement . I believe the team have been told to rein it in a bit so as not to run out of steam .

The problem being that since then we've been pedestrian and the tempo is difficult to pick up again.

Another criticism I have from today is the fact that we kept on floating in long balls to their big ,well organised defence . Only once did anyone , Joey B , get behind them and cut it back .

All in all defence looking quite solid ,

midfield , hello ,is there anybody there ?

and the attack isolated .

A lot of work to do I'm afraid.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I said it all last season and I will repeat again because it is so completely obvious to everybody but LJ.

Our midfield is unfit for purpose and playing 2 of them out of position makes it even worse.

It amazes me that a coach cannot see the glaringly obvious. I was equally surprised when he said recently what great options we have in midfield.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Mystery, we did play really good stuff against Barnsley, Plymuff and 1st half v Brum. For those games we had Hegeler CB, now although he looked defensively a little suspect (culpable for Brum's winner) he was doing the carry out of the ball from defence and his passing is good. Wright & Baker look better defensively, but neither can bring the ball out in a controlled manner and get us moving forward as Hegeler showed. 

Add in Paterson showing for the ball and being heavily involved, followed by two 'do a few little runs and spend the rest of time being a passenger' performances and that goes some way to explaining the poor displays. 

Drop Pack or Smith for Hegelar, play more diamond midfield with Hegelar further back to bring the ball out. 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We lost at Brum after outplaying them with our superb pressing and movement . I believe the team have been told to rein it in a bit so as not to run out of steam .

The problem being that since then we've been pedestrian and the tempo is difficult to pick up again.

Another criticism I have from today is the fact that we kept on floating in long balls to their big ,well organised defence . Only once did anyone , Joey B , get behind them and cut it back .

I think this is exactly it but it turns into passive performances. How about Pochettino style double training sessions to get them fit enough to maintain the tempo?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sums it up well. Maybe we'd be better in a 4-3-3 with 3 CM and the width coming from Joe a Pisano. Use one main Striker with two quicker players, (paterson, eliasson, ried, o'dowda, taylor) either side.

14 minutes ago, harrys said:

If only we had a classy midfielder who could win a game on his own with a bit of magic

Yeah, once in every 4 games. Whilst costing us goals by not pulling his weight (no pun intended), being a lazy bugger and not doing any defensive work. 

Edited by RedSA
34 minutes ago, Super said:

Staggering johnson still has some supporters on here. 

agree, absolutely bonkers, he has weakened the squad, with Ashton made highly speculative signings, by the day is creating a more difficult job for our next manager who is going to have to sort out the mess. who would want to buy moore, engvall, COD etc. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He's just blamed the fixture list. ******* staggering 

The fixture list could scarcely have been more kind thus far...surely no one looked at it when it came out and thought it was an unusually tough August?...September on the other hand is going to be tough!