IGNORED

The Official Match Day Thread - 4 - Bristol City v Millwall

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Oh FFS.

I was hoping we'd see less of the excuses, blame shifting and general rubbish that usually made up his interviews after poor results last season, this time out, but it appears not.

Fact is we have played 3 of the current bottom 5. The next few weeks look much tougher.

Edited by cityexile

I see the difficult to beat Brentford lost again , their only point from 12 was against us !  We made them look like world beaters.  A poor millwall team today , were physical and difficult to break down ,  we have no plan b.  High tempo football can't be played for 90 minutes , our ploy seems to be score early , whilst knocking the ball around . There is no plan b 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You'd think that we had great options on the bench with the amount of money he has spent on it.

He looks totally out of his depth.

We've only played a few games, FFS.

If we do really badly, Steve can get his check book out and Lee can waste some more of his money.

Give him a chance - he has only signed one or two players since he became 'our' manager.

:bored:

tfj

Really disappointing performance today. We were slow to start from the off. We were bullied off the ball regularly but worse than that was the passing and movement of our own players was terrible. We had a couple of moves here and there but overall really poor. 

It didn't feel like we had options to change it up either really because I think even if say Eliasson had come on with his pace we are told about I'm not sure the service was out there.

The same team has played and can play way better than that though (not difficult admittedly).  It's a point nevertheless and first clean sheet.

Time to rest up some players Tuesday. Villa have been conceding a lot so look fragile. Have to go at them from the off.

7 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Really disappointing performance today. We were slow to start from the off. We were bullied off the ball regularly but worse than that was the passing and movement of our own players was terrible. We had a couple of moves here and there but overall really poor. 

It didn't feel like we had options to change it up either really because I think even if say Eliasson had come on with his pace we are told about I'm not sure the service was out there.

The same team has played and can play way better than that though (not difficult admittedly).  It's a point nevertheless and first clean sheet.

Time to rest up some players Tuesday. Villa have been conceding a lot so look fragile. Have to go at them from the off.

There is a problem with a lack of variety in the squad imo. So we end up subbing lightweight players who don't like a physical battle with more of the same.

• Like 1

For what it's worth...from the Millwall official site:

"Harris...was pleased with an "excellent" performance in the West Country.

"We knew had to be on the front foot and ready for the challenge from the beginning," he said. "I thought the performance today from my players was excellent. The team delivered the gameplan to stop Bristol City's strength of passing the ball between the lines. Ultimately, I've got a dressing room that's really proud of the performance, but disappointed they didn't get the three points. I thought we got stronger as the game went on. The subs made an impact, too. Barring a great save by the goalkeeper and hitting the woodwork, we'd be coming away with the three points...we managed the game very well today and were just missing that end product."

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

There is a problem with a lack of variety in the squad imo. So we end up subbing lightweight players who don't like a physical battle with more of the same.

Yes absolutely, I think this is partly why we didn't see Eliasson, however it is what it is so at some point they are just going to have to take it

44 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

"We knew had to be on the front foot and ready for the challenge from the beginning," he said. "I thought the performance today from my players was excellent. The team delivered the gameplan to stop Bristol City's strength of passing the ball between the lines. Ultimately, I've got a dressing room that's really proud of the performance, but disappointed they didn't get the three points. I thought we got stronger as the game went on. The subs made an impact, too. Barring a great save by the goalkeeper and hitting the woodwork, we'd be coming away with the three points...we managed the game very well today and were just missing that end product."

Hard not to agree with him...

49 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Tactical clarity certainly but totally predictable yet as with Brum and Brentford we had no idea how to counter it.

LJ reminds me increasingly of Millen, highly qualified but somewhat hapless when faced with practice rather than theory.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Cardiff and Ipswich seem to have done ok playing that many games!

And Ipswich have spent how much? About 50p was it?

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, because both of those teams have very experienced managers who know what they are doing......................

Precisely. Which, frankly, is what every single team in this division should do... 3 million now, 100 million if promoted... If ever there was a no brainer for a short term experienced gaffer over a total novice this division is it.

43 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Tactical clarity certainly but totally predictable yet as with Brum and Brentford we had no idea how to counter it.

LJ reminds me increasingly of Millen, highly qualified but somewhat hapless when faced with practice rather than theory.

That indeed is a frightening prospect.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

We were top after 3-4 games in the year we went down without a fight.

One of those games being the 4-2 win over Cardiff, another the 4-1 over Palace who went up.

I agree that it's early days, however, I think the writing is already on the wall. We're going to struggle again this season, only blind faith will let you see it any other way.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Diedhiou doesn't seem to offer anything. No running the channels, no hold up play, no running with the ball and no strength. 

Thats another 90 minutes of my life I won't get back. 

Still, at least there'll be the LJ snippets to follow shortly. £200 says he mentions Joe hitting the bar and how we were unlucky not to get 3 points. 

I'll  await your update @petehinton

He mentioned Joe hitting the bar, but said a draw was fair.

How do I claim the £200? ;)

Tell you what, as you're half right I'll settle for £100 :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Poor for the first 20 , improved to average up until HT. Started 2nd half ok for 5 minutes then back to average for the rest of the half.
JB our best chance hit the bar, theirs a very good FF save and another that I couldn't tell if it hit the post or a FF save.

I think we were lucky to get a point against a quite one dimensional side, closed quite well and we couldn't cope.

My biggest moan, why the **** did Oneil get Odowda to float the ball into the keepers hands instead of trying to go wide from 2/3 free kicks towards the end.   No service to the front men, passing was poor , movement poor and I think were lucky on several occasions. 

Last season when we played poorly we lost, against Brentford and Millwall we have come away with 2 points,  not what we hoped for or expected but 2 points nonetheless.  Some great saves by Frankie and good defensive blocks, particularly one right at the end from Pisano I think. So as OldlandReddies says above, some progress and definately on todays showing more defensive resilience.

• Like 2