IGNORED

I'll take 4th bottom now

screech

23 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'd say that the reactions on here are pretty measured. Not wanting to single you out here, but it seems to be key to those enjoying an LJ love-in to present all sceptics as people howling for his blood. In truth his management of the club is baffling experienced observers and no matter how annoying we'll keep expressing our bafflement, most of that bafflement is expressed quite mildly given the frustration that lies behind it!

The fact is that we have 5 points from 4 games, having played two of our easier home fixtures. We've had a fairly easy start to the season. 5 from 4 may be mid table right now but that yield per match won't keep us there. 

I dislike the moronic element of those who oppose LJ and trade in abuse but there are indeed those who are puzzled by his approach.

He can't seem to settle on a style, recruit, train and coach to suit it, doesn't respond to what the opposition is doing and seems to refuse to acknowledge the need for a mixture of skill and strength, especially in midfield. 

Instead, like Wenger he prefers lightweight players who are not up for a physical battle. Though even Wenger has adjusted a little in recent times.

Still, there are few more stubborn and self deluding people than football managers so doubtless it will be more of the same.

I hope it pays off in the end for his and our sakes but some sign that he is learning and adapting would be nice.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

I've watched decades of dross but most of it was understandable due to budgets etc, we no longer have that excuse.

...and that is the source of my personal frustration. After 30 plus years of toil we finally have a ground and the finances to support a decent push for a return to the top flight...yet we're saddled with a manager I'd consider out of his depth at the moment...

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I dislike the moronic element of those who oppose LJ and trade in abuse but there are indeed those who are puzzled by his approach.

He can't seem to settle on a style, recruit, train and coach to suit it, doesn't respond to what the opposition is doing and seems to refuse to acknowledge the need for a mixture of skill and strength, especially in midfield. 

Instead, like Wenger he prefers lightweight players who are not up for a physical battle. Though even Wenger has adjusted a little in recent times.

Still, there are few more stubborn and self deluding people than football managers so doubtless it will be more of the same.

I hope it pays off in the end for his and our sakes but some sign that he is learning and adapting would be nice.

I would love to know what player he asks for this week. I want to see him do well, and it was a 'rinsed plate' this season, but if he came with another powderpuff player or another winger I'd probably lose all faith then. 

42 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

We've lost one game 

I think you need to realise that people's frustration isn't just about the last 4 games.

Add on last season's boring negative rubbish,add on the £20 million on new players who haven't improved us, add on the worst ever losing run of games in the clubs history, add on that the manager blames everyone,and everything else,and accepts no responsibility whatsoever for poor performances, and your gradually getting there.

6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

...and that is the source of my personal frustration. After 30 plus years of toil we finally have a ground and the finances to support a decent push for a return to the top flight...yet we're saddled with a manager I'd consider out of his depth at the moment...

In one :yes::clap:

We were held to a draw today by a limited but well organised team and outplayed on Tuesday by a team who looked like a Premier League team. The former is second bottom of the league and the latter is bottom.  If we can't beat a hustle and bustle type team or a passing type team who can we beat? Today's performance was the sort of display that got Del and SoD sacked and they had nowhere as much money to spend as LJ. The last two seasons were disappointing and nothing has improved.

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

We were held to a draw today by a limited but well organised team and outplayed on Tuesday by a team who looked like a Premier League team. The former is second bottom of the league and the latter is bottom.  If we can't beat a hustle and bustle type team or a passing type team who can we beat? Today's performance was the sort of display that got Del and SoD sacked and they had nowhere as much money to spend as LJ. The last two seasons were disappointing and nothing has improved.

Yep. Bloody rubbish. He's been given more chances than the others. I'd sooner have Millen!!

Lots of drama as usual after a poor game. Yes it was a dire game but it was 0-0 FFS - you'd think we'd got hammered reading this forum. 

10% of the way through the season and we're closer to the playoffs than the drop zone.

We are, as of right now, the very definition of a mid table team. Exactly what everyone said they'd be happy with. Now we are that team it's the usual hysterics that it's not something else. 

1 hour ago, Raging_Robin said:

Here we go, "happy clappy". 

Facts are, we've lost 1 in 4 and we sit mid table. 

Try and argue it as much as you like, those are the facts. 

Facts are facts.  The facts are we beat Barnsley a middle table team at best;  lost to Birmingham who are average; stole a point against the bottom of the league team, Brentford; scraped a point in a dire game against a team second from bottom, Millwall. 

Try and argue it as much as you like, those are the facts. 

1 minute ago, Raging_Robin said:

And we're mid table? I don't get what you're getting at. So you think we should be in the playoffs or in the automatic promotion spot? 

With the fixtures we had and money spent then yes! Don't see why everyone is so happy with mid table!! What's the point existing in this league. Cardiff are top and Ipswich are second!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Lots of drama as usual after a poor game. Yes it was a dire game but it was 0-0 FFS - you'd think we'd got hammered reading this forum. 

10% of the way through the season and we're closer to the playoffs than the drop zone.

We are, as of right now, the very definition of a mid table team. Exactly what everyone said they'd be happy with. Now we are that team it's the usual hysterics that it's not something else. 

What is your prediction for the next 5 league games?.

Do you believe that LJ should have strengthened our midfield, a midfield that was unfit for purpose last season?.

Do you believe that our problems stem from our dire midfield? (given that everybody seems to believe that the defence played well).

Do you believe that playing 50% of said dire midfield out of position is helpful?.

Do you honestly believe that he has spent loadsamoney wisely?.

Do you honestly believe that we in our present format are going to be a mid table side, come the end of the season?.

1 minute ago, Raging_Robin said:

And we're mid table? I don't get what you're getting at. So you think we should be in the playoffs or in the automatic promotion spot? 

You're on your own by the looks of it.  If you can't see that we're spending a fortune to stand still or go backwards no one is going to convince you on here.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Do you believe that LJ should have strengthened our midfield, a midfield that was unfit for purpose last season?.

Do you believe that our problems stem from our dire midfield? (given that everybody seems to believe that the defence played well).

Do you believe that playing 50% of said dire midfield out of position is helpful?.

Do you honestly believe that we in our present format are going to be a mid table side, come the end of the season?.

I can't be bothered to crop what I want from this etc 

Regards to midfield. It is an issue let's look at last year... how many teams carved and ran through us and went on to create a 1-1 with the CB due to the fact our midfield didn't combat the threat sooner. 

Let alone went on to score from 20 yards out (many!)

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I stopped trying to predict the Championship a long time ago, and even more so where city are involved!

Yes

Yes

Not sure what you mean here? Pack and Smith are both central midfielders played in central midfield. Paterson is a wide player. Only question mark for me is Josh but would be harsh to have dropped him after scoring on Tues.

No but I've never said he has? We pay fees that are par for the course of the type of player we buy. Johnson doesn't dictate the market conditions unfortunately  

Well you can only judge on what you've seen. As things stand we're on course for a mid table finish. 

27 minutes ago, Tears in rain said:

I can see LJ moving back to a 4-2-3-1 system again. Maybe brownhill to make way for Elliason on one side and Patterson on the other allowing Reid to play behind the forward. 

Why oh why we can't just play 2 strikers at the gate seems odd.

Or at least if we play narrow like he wants can we please adopt a system with Hegeler flanked by 2 CM players. 

I pray and hope we have moved beyond the dreaded tombola tactics and selections, he has had enough money and time to decide on our best team and formation.

Tombola_1.gif

3 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

I'm getting at the fact that if City play like this against poor teams, what on earth will happen when we play some decent team.  This season is like the beginning of last season, only worse. Then, we played poorly but picked up points due to Tammy's goals. It couldn't last and it didn't.  This year we haven't got Tammy to save us

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

I pray and hope we have moved beyond the dreaded tombola tactics and selections, he has had enough money and time to decide on our best team and formation.

Tombola_1.gif

You would like to think so yeah!

Still think having the extra man in midfield is vital to success in tight games in this league, and then utilising counter attacks with pace and we don't seem to do either so much... (maybe Patterson). 

But what's the plan B?

Last few games we've been figured out after the first half just thankfully we've been winning or have scored a few. 

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Do you believe that playing 50% of said dire midfield out of position is helpful?

This is an interesting point. And it's becoming somewhat of a trademark isn't it?

Bryan as a left back

Hegeler as a CB

Brownhill & Paterson as wingers. 

Bobby as a striker. 

Theyre all players played out of position with differing degrees of success. 

I'm not sure I understand the obsession. Why?

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I'm getting at the fact that if City play like this against poor teams, what on earth will happen when we play some decent team.  This season is like the beginning of last season, only worse. Then, we played poorly but picked up points due to Tammy's goals. It couldn't last and it didn't.  This year we haven't got Tammy to save us

We will soon find out, bottom line is Millwall were a division below last season, there can be no excuses really; what was their spending compared to ours over the last few years ? wake up Steve can you not see :grr:

4 minutes ago, Tears in rain said:

You would like to think so yeah!

Still think having the extra man in midfield is vital to success in tight games in this league, and then utilising counter attacks with pace and we don't seem to do either so much... (maybe Patterson). 

But what's the plan B?

Last few games we've been figured out after the first half just thankfully we've been winning or have scored a few. 

Hey.....LJ wants it back he`s lost without it

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

We will soon find out, bottom line is Millwall were a division below last season, there can be no excuses really; what was their spending compared to ours over the last few years ? wake up Steve can you not see :grr:

Don't think he gives a toss about what happens on the field.  So far we are maintaining the crowds, not sure how the rugby or basketball are doing. 

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

There appear to be very few of the usual 'crowd' here tonight. 

The ones who have called it ALL summer, we are heading into that direction again unfortunately. LJ still has 5 games to show what he can do. Keep on being an Ostrich mate. While some of us will call it how it is.

Being unable to score against the bottom club and relegation favourites today shows how limited a side we are.  

The first 45 minutes of this season gave me real hope. I know we were facing Barnsley and their side full of youth players, but we looked sharp, crisp and dangerous. Today - apart from perhaps the first10 minutes of the second half we looked none of those things.

Things have all gone downhill since that first half on the first day (if you don't count our win over Plymouth reserves) and - with the big teams due here shortly - we look like relegation zone regulars in waiting.

I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the new boys today, and now it's indisputably "Johnson's team" he hasn't even got the excuse that we're "work in progress".

Archived