IGNORED

Eliasson and Diedhiou

tinman85

Just now, jayjay said:

Eliasson, one for the future. Going out on loan, probably to some Scandinavian club. You heard it here first.

Can't understand the point in chasing these players. Woodrow looked like an incredibly average player when he came on. Not what we need. 

4 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Wish I was. Exactly what we need right now. We have no outlet and are dull to watch. Narrow midfield and lack of width. He was on the bench again today. Bruce has said he may need to sell again. If we signed Jackson Irvine and Albert we would be laughing. Loan O'Dowda to league 1. 

Albert wouldn't suit our style of play and approach to a game (this isn't me defending the way we play).

3 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

The way we play is not the Bristol City way. 

Where has that got us? :P

our RM and LM are required to get infield when we have the ball and get involved as a midfield 4. Albert is very much an out and out winger and wouldn't suit that system.

again, I'm not defending the LJ way of playing, Albert would be a strong signing, if we played differently.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Where has that got us? :P

our RM and LM are required to get infield when we have the ball and get involved as a midfield 4. Albert is very much an out and out winger and wouldn't suit that system.

again, I'm not defending the LJ way of playing, Albert would be a strong signing, if we played differently.

We love a direct winger at AG. Unfortunately LJ likes to play with square pegs in round holes. 

We fell upon a system which worked for us at the end of last season. 

We seem to have used that as a platform going forward. Birmingham figured it out in the 2nd half. Brentford and Millwall knew what to do. So what next?

Eliasson - we signed a winger despite playing very narrow. Looking forward to seeing what he can do though.

Diedhiou - when the midfield is taking out of the game then it's increasingly difficult for him. He's not a target man like Đurić but his movement does impress me.

29 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes, 4-3-3 might help. Though if players are easy to physically intimidate there is not a lot you can do.

Yes this is true.

To me though, if we lack the individual quality, or at least the individual physicality then a safety in numbers type approach- perhaps Hegeler between the back 4 and the midfield- seems a possible solution.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes this is true.

To me though, if we lack the individual quality, or at least the individual physicality then a safety in numbers type approach- perhaps Hegeler between the back 4 and the midfield- seems a possible solution.

Hegeler at the base of the midfield seems an obvious option but LJ seems dead against it. So expect to see more of our midfield being steamrollered followed by denial that any such thing happened.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Millwall would have eaten Eliasson.

It was bad enough with players like Smith and Pack going missing when it got physical.

TBF, I don't think there was anyone on the bench that would have made a difference in that game.

Well it would have been nice to have seen Eliasson and given him the chance at least, impossible to tell without seeing him in action.

i've only managed to see a couple of games this season as I've been away. But my early impessions is that we lack any real pace up front , and both strikers seem to want to come short for the ball , at feet, rather than looking to stretch teams or work the channels. Perhaps this is tactical rather than individual playing styles. I just don't see anyone with real pace up top in our first team squad (not including U21s) meaning teams can squeeze us. This meant, like today teams can tighten up the space between 'the lines' which is the routes we seem to be playing through. I think Matty Taylor's energy will help us offer more flexibility in behind I do feel that we are missing his game.. However, he is certainly not the fastest.  4231/433 may be an option if we put pace on the wings which we do have in the squad. 

I'm equally worried that ourvfull backs push so high  up up the pitch - especially when chasing a goal at 0-0 - there is a lot of space behind them on the counter or turnover of possession. Milwall nearly got us to day down tof these routes and I can see it becoming a regular issue at home.

Despite all this we look a lot more compact, settled and stronger defensively, we may just not have the goals to go beyond a mid-table finish but then did we exspect more? 

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

No I'm sorry it's not. He is not the type of striker we need. Fulham fans are having a party. 

Of course it is, anyone with a reasonable and realistic grasp on football can see that. Judging a player in that sort of game considering he touched the ball only a few times is absurd.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course it is, anyone with a reasonable and realistic grasp on football can see that. Judging a player in that sort of game considering he touched the ball only a few times is absurd.

Sorry but I don't appreciate your comment at all. I have been watching city home and away for 30 years. I stand by my point. You disagree with everything I post, vice versa. 

Just now, tinman85 said:

Sorry but I don't appreciate your comment at all. I have been watching city home and away for 30 years. I stand by my point. You disagree with everything I post, vice versa. 

I don't, I thought you made some good points about Jackson Irvine and agree we need to strengthen the midfield.

I find many of your views reactionary and impatient though, such as this. It's ludicrous to judge a player off a sub performance when he's trained with us about twice. Goes without saying really and I'm pretty amazed that someone who's watched us for 30 years could be so naive about it.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't, I thought you made some good points about Jackson Irvine and agree we need to strengthen the midfield.

I find many of your views reactionary and impatient though, such as this. It's ludicrous to judge a player off a sub performance when he's trained with us about twice. Goes without saying really and I'm pretty amazed that someone who's watched us for 30 years could be so naive about it.

If I'm honest with you it's the same old city under this regime. The signings are similar, one dimensional, lightweight, lack of pace or power. The squad we have concerns me and I don't see Woodrow as being any different. Appreciate you are an LJ supporter. I am not a fan of him or the coaching team. I wanted Warnock when we sacked Cotts. We could have had him. Big regret for me. 

For me and what I've seen / know of Woodrow - I can see why he'd have been on LJs 'radar' as he fits his 'busy bee' philosophy

Works hard , technically not bad, seems a 'decent lad' etc

He would seem to fit with LJs idealogy (whether you agree with it or not) and I'm sure will contribute

The question is - Can he have enough influence / impact to raise us (Hopefully - only time will tell)

Or should we have gone for something we don't have - Pace ..... some power maybe

Woodrow has atm undoubtedly a better pedigree than Vassell that we missed out on

In an ideal world I'd liked to have had both as they are two different players offering two different things (That would probably mean we'd have to look to move one out - Taylor ?)

Woodrow is more suited to LJs ethos IMHO but personally I would have taken a punt on  Vassell with his pace / power personally as I'm not convinced that Woodrow , albeit a 'tidy' / decent player ,will change our collective skill set / options greatly

Woodrow for me is in theory ,and pedigree to date , at least  a slight upgrade on Matt Taylor rather than giving us a different option 

Hes also the sort of player that a Burton, Brentford or Preston will get the max from whereas we as a Club have rarely managed to do over the years

More of the same or a different option , only time will tell which was the right way to go

Archived