IGNORED

What does Lansdown see that most of us can't ?

Andy082005

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Think a lot of you have been waiting all summer to have a dig. Decent result imo against a organised side.

Think you're talking out of your backside on both counts, both that people have been waiting to have a dig all summer and if you think yesterday was a 'decent result'. It was a pitiful performance and we were lucky not to lose. 

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

Think you're talking out of your backside on both counts, both that people have been waiting to have a dig all summer and if you think yesterday was a 'decent result'. It was a pitiful performance and we were lucky not to lose. 

But we didn't lose? I agree the performance was average but that's football, you get these types of games from time to time. I'm just pleased we didn't lose.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

But we didn't lose? I agree the performance was average but that's football, you get these types of games from time to time. I'm just pleased we didn't lose.

Fair enough we didn't lose. But it's not one game in isolation. We also performed poorly in the second half against Brum and against Brentford.  We weren't that great in the second half against Barnsley either but we had the game won, granted. It's a worrying trend and to me and it seems a lot of others there doesn't appear to be any positive progress being made. These are geniune concerns and not as far i can see people looking to stick the boot in. I'd love nothing more than for us to go on a decent run and for my concerns to be shoved down my throat! 

27 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Think a lot of you have been waiting all summer to have a dig. Decent result imo against a organised side.

Not at all UTC, I, like a few others, have been consistent. Don't get me wrong, I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong but am of the opinion that LJ is a very lucky boy to receive the backing he has received. I am also of the opinion that another Manager with more experience may have done better but we'll never know if that's correct. If it were anyone but LJ, one thing I am certain of is that they would have been removed last season if their results were the same as LJ's.

57 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'd recruit a management team who'd got experience of achieving what I wanted to achieve. I've never managed a football team but in other walks of life that's what you do...agree objectives and put together a team that has the necessary experience to deliver them.

That's always going to be the hard bit of course but makes perfect sense.

57 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

And off the pitch I'd be looking to build strong links with local business and opinion formers. I'd construct a Board more like that at a club like Burnley...significant local people all contributing ideas and offering challenge...something that could survive the loss of a single individual.

This is a very good and realistic suggestion. Bristol also has a far better range of people to involve than Burnley i'm sure. Plenty of innovation in this city.

We should be finding out what the likes of Stoke, Bournemouth, Burnley, Swansea etc have done in all aspects to make themselves better clubs; be that on the footballing side and business side. We should then be implementing better versions of the things we like from what these clubs do.

I think we're improving off the pitch massively; we're a totally different club to the 13/14 season when we had a bit of a reset. Obviously that takes time but I think our scouting, youth development and infrastructure is in a far better place.

19 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Have I missed something? Did Milwall tank us? Or did we keep first clean sheet this season?? 

I'm with you, £20 million spent, a new £5 million striker, nearly 14k ST holders, what more do we all want than a clean sheet at home to Millwall.  

Well done LJ.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

How would you go about creating a stable club Red?

I'd recruit a management team who'd got experience of achieving what I wanted to achieve. I've never managed a football team but in other walks of life that's what you do...agree objectives and put together a team that has the necessary experience to deliver them.

And off the pitch I'd be looking to build strong links with local business and opinion formers. I'd construct a Board more like that at a club like Burnley...significant local people all contributing ideas and offering challenge...something that could survive the loss of a single individual.

Face palm.

Er, copy some of what these clubs have done (from the top): Burnley, Huddersfield, WBA, Stoke, Brighton, PNE, Ipswich, Burton...

ie appoint a manager with more than 3 months managerial experience, be sensible with money at all times, appoint football people to do stuff (not wealthy businessmen), live more or less within your means, be realistic, enjoy yourself, don't have wildly oscillating ideas from one season to the next (spend! rein it in! ... aim for the Prem! say you just want to stay up! ... Buy old players and then dump them! buy young and sell! etc etc)

A lot of clubs get this right, even if it means being stable in the division(s) they can realistically expect to be in: Peterboro, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, MKD, Rochdale, Yeove, Carlisle.

We, despite having the means, do not get stability right, particularly, unless you consider being in L1 most of the time a supreme effort in stability.

I'd say a lot of us think like RedExile, that just getting more of the basic decisions right rather than wrong should be within our radius. This ratio of right:wrong seems beyond our ken and has done for quite a while (basically every time we go back down to L1/struggle in this here div).

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I'm never quite sure what the "agenda" of people with an "agenda" is supposed to be. I'm guessing that the assumption amongst those happy with Lee Johnson's managership is that there are large numbers of posters on OTIB who irrationally hate the man and want him out, and look for any opportunity to further that objective. There may indeed be some of those, but as a regular visitor I'd say they are outnumbered by those troubled by what appears to me to be Lee Johnson's inability to do the job needed. I don't have any personal feelings against him, I just think that this season, which started so brightly, has already begun to carry echoes of most of last season, when we chalked up the worst run of results in the club's history despite having all of the advantages of an excellent ground, large attendances and comfortably the most expensively assembled squad in the club's history.

I've been watching City for 50 years this year...man and boy...been a regular attendee home and away for over 35 years. I'd like to see us mount a credible challenge to get back in the top flight in my lifetime. I perceive resources being thrown away on a project which has next to no realistic chance of success given that it's being led by men with no track record. I don't think the reaction to the start we've made this season is an over-reaction, it's a despair that lessons don't appear to have been learned. Great for those who see it more positively...I wish I did.

I'll be driving back from a holiday in Cornwall with my two sons to watch the match on Friday night, and will be as prepared as ever to be surprised!

COYR and all of that.

Just look at the number of anti Johnson threads on here including one demanding we take Johnson out banners to Fridays match another supplying email addresses of key people to inundate with LJ out messages.

And all after four games, if that isnt a vendetta by a nucleus of whatever you want to call them i do not know what is.

Time to get behind City for Friday and make a judgement after a sensible period

COYRs, and it is all that from a supporter of 51 years

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

Just look at the number of anti Johnson threads on here including one demanding we take Johnson out banners to Fridays match another supplying email addresses of key people to inundate with LJ out messages.

And all after four games, if that isnt a vendetta by a nucleus of whatever you want to call them i do not know what is.

Moan all we want on Tuesday   yeahhhhh!!!!!

18 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I'd say a lot of us think like RedExile, that just getting more of the basic decisions right rather than wrong should be within our radius. 

For the first time in my 50+ years of following City the club is at long last got a strategy in place to establish some long term stability at AG. We can debate endlessly how the best way to go about that but at least we now have a long term plan in place to debate!

31 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

before you get too irate .....

Just look at the number of anti Johnson threads on here including one demanding we take Johnson out banners

A wind up,from a 'eccentric'  poster / renowned WUM

to Fridays match another supplying email addresses of key people to inundate with LJ out messages.

An old thread - From last season - bumped by someone taking the p out of the idea

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I presumed that LJ would spend the summer/ pre season sorting out tactical plans to counteract teams like Millwall.

I presumed he would learn from last season, I presumed that having spent £5 million on a striker he would have worked on ways to provide that striker with the service needed. 

Unfortunately, it seems I presumed wrongly, never mind eh,  I'm sure we won't come up against any other "organised" sides in the next 42 games.

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For the first time in my 50+ years of following City the club is at long last got a strategy in place to establish some long term stability at AG. We can debate endlessly how the best way to go about that but at least we now have a long term plan in place to debate!

The plan is good, but the wrong people are executing it.

poor tactics, poor recruitment, poor coaching.

equals poor results.

40 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

As someone else said last night, it's not just 4 games:grr:

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I presumed that LJ would spend the summer/ pre season sorting out tactical plans to counteract teams like Millwall.

I presumed he would learn from last season, I presumed that having spent £5 million on a striker he would have worked on ways to provide that striker with the service needed. 

Unfortunately, it seems I presumed wrongly, never mind eh,  I'm sure we won't come up against any other "organised" sides in the next 42 games.

Yep, very concerning that we couldn't implement our game o to them but they could on to us. Even more of a concern that we had absolutely no plan B. 

33 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

@Thatch35 and the I will boo eight comes up to nine people that it can be reasonably argued have a anti Johnson agenda at any cost. @Taxi for Johnson has been pretty consistent as his name suggests and I can't remember the bloke with the email addresses, although I did see them this morning.

Last season was/is difficult to forget for many reasons, none of them good with the exception of the last six or so games. If LJ has a core of people that have no confidence in him and want him to go this is exactly the place they should say it! As for the exception of a couple of times the crowd were pretty subdued throughout the season, even though we were losing leads and melting down every week. No other club in the league would have put up with that run....Can you imagine if that had happened at Villa....(That was irony)  

I'm all for giving the bloke a chance, and agree with you lets be sensible about how long we give him (20 games seems fair) but the last two and a half games have been awful. Yes we can improve but we need to fast as if we are bottom three after ten, the pressure will be on big style, as mark my words SL will not tolerate last season's shit again and will order the bloody taxi himself!

8 hours ago, spudski said:

I don't disagree with you or have alluded that it's a bad thing in my posts. Just pointing out a few things that are changing.

As for your Everton scenario...lovely...well done them.

You then have the other side of the coin in football...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn?CMP=share_btn_fb

Just read this - what an,absolutely scandalous story. Liverpool should be ashamed of themselves. 

On 19/08/2017 at 17:28, Andy082005 said:

...because I sure as hell can't see what this manager is trying to do.

I thought Brentford away was bad....but that was pathetic. 

So many of his signings are just not good enough . Brownhill , Paterson, Diedhiou  ....don't even get me started on O'dowda. The kid has zero end product . I particularly liked the moment in the second half when he went to take charge of that free kick...only to clip it straight into the keepers hands . Awful 

This manager is clueless . I can't see how anyone can have any faith in him when it comes to signing the right players, or getting his tactics right. He certainly has no plan B 

Please....someone tell me what he is trying to do? Because I just don't know 

A very interesting comment. I disagree with the signings such as Diedhiou who has only played 4 games and has worked hard, Brownhill has played very well for us since he's joined (although didn't play well yesterday) and Paterson has done well for us so far. Agree with you about O'Dowda but the blame for the performance yesterday wasn't LJ's fault. Yes 0 changes was a massive risk but the players have to take full responsibility for that performance.

20 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Oh i see, it's problems with ' Divine Right' I pointed out earlier. The entitlement amongst our fanbase sickens me, especially when we have amounted to one play off final in this league in the last umpteen years in this league.

Remind me again how 3.5 million spent on Akinbiyi meant that we SHOULD win every game, work again? Oh yeah, it didnt...

It doesnt and soon as people remove the link that spends equal instant success then maybe they will have their attitudes readjusted.

There has never ever been the thought of 'divine right' for Bristol City in the four decades I've watched us play, so don't try and get that one on me. 

If you had cared to read the post I was responding to, then you will realise that firstly my post was tongue in cheek.

Secondly,  ( you may feel differently ) I really cannot get excited about the fact that someone is happy that we have kept a clean sheet at home with a 0-0 draw. 

Thats not entitlement, that's being a fan of a team that we're playing at home and drew 0-0. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I'm all for giving the bloke a chance, and agree with you lets be sensible about how long we give him (20 games seems fair) but the last two and a half games have been awful. Yes we can improve but we need to fast as if we are bottom three after ten, the pressure will be on big style, as mark my words SL will not tolerate last season's shit again and will order the bloody taxi himself!

Interesting RO. Do you really think SL would boot out LJ if we're in the bottom 3 after 10, or say 15 games, i.e. end of October?

Can't see it myself, and severe doubts he'd do it  even if we were in that position much later in the season.

He was willing to take relegation last season after all, and it seems to me he's getting ever more entrenched in his support for LJ if anything.

In the scenario that LJ was sacked at some stage do you think SL has a plan B?

5 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I'm never quite sure what the "agenda" of people with an "agenda" is supposed to be. I'm guessing that the assumption amongst those happy with Lee Johnson's managership is that there are large numbers of posters on OTIB who irrationally hate the man and want him out, and look for any opportunity to further that objective. There may indeed be some of those, but as a regular visitor I'd say they are outnumbered by those troubled by what appears to me to be Lee Johnson's inability to do the job needed. I don't have any personal feelings against him, I just think that this season, which started so brightly, has already begun to carry echoes of most of last season, when we chalked up the worst run of results in the club's history despite having all of the advantages of an excellent ground, large attendances and comfortably the most expensively assembled squad in the club's history.

I've been watching City for 50 years this year...man and boy...been a regular attendee home and away for over 35 years. I'd like to see us mount a credible challenge to get back in the top flight in my lifetime. I perceive resources being thrown away on a project which has next to no realistic chance of success given that it's being led by men with no track record. I don't think the reaction to the start we've made this season is an over-reaction, it's a despair that lessons don't appear to have been learned. Great for those who see it more positively...I wish I did.

I'll be driving back from a holiday in Cornwall with my two sons to watch the match on Friday night, and will be as prepared as ever to be surprised!

COYR and all of that.

Unfortunately, those without the ability to appreciate or respect the views of others will call you a hater. No middle ground. Hater.

Fortunately, there are only about a dozen of them.  

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

And how many players has LJ brought in, in the near 2 years & 3 transfer windows he wanted to be judged on, that we've sold for more money, or could sell for big money? 

Just Kodjia I gue....ah wait that was Cotts. 

Engvall? Wait he's isn't good enough 

O'Dowda? He's not good enough either

Ummm...Hegeler? Wait he plays him out of  position

Brownhill? He plays him out of position too

I'm struggling here :dunno:

He has bought a lot f players and spent circa £20 million, none sold at a profit at the moment. As for whether any of his signings are worth more now than when we bought them - time will see. Looking at the list, it's hardly inspired, and most are not first team regulars anyway.

7 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

It's obvious teams are going to lose as well as win. I'm not stupid enough to think that we should win every single game or sack the manager. It's the manner of our defeats that is a concern.

We can play well as we showed against Barnsley, but as I have said before when it comes to a physical battle we are not up to it. More concerning is that the manager seems unable to do anything about it during the game.

Harry Redknapp said that when they played against us he could see that we were over-running them in midfield and brought on someone with a bit of physical presence and turned it around.

It's now obvious to anyone due to play us that we are lightweight in midfield, so stick a couple of big physical chaps in the middle of the park and you stop Bristol City from playing.

We need to see a reaction, and if we don't have the players for a physical battle then we need to ask why? Đurić is injured, Hegeler can play in the middle but he is a bit slow, Pack is great at spraying passes, but that is no good if we aren't winning the first ball in the middle of the park, Korey Smith is prone to losing a physical battle and Brownhill is a youngster who needs a bit of experience to help him, O'Neil is ideal but there are questions as to whether he can cope now. We need a couple of strong boys in the middle. Someone like a fit Marvin Elliott used to be would be ideal!

Yup, Barsnley currently have the youngest match day squads in the Championship, a full 2 years on average than us. They are basically playing their development squad.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting RO. Do you really think SL would boot out LJ if we're in the bottom 3 after 10, or say 15 games, i.e. end of October?

Can't see it myself, and severe doubts he'd do it  even if we were in that position much later in the season.

He was willing to take relegation last season after all, and it seems to me he's getting ever more entrenched in his support for LJ if anything.

I think if we were in danger of relegation SL would still keep LJ and say he is probbaly the best person of steering us through L! with his knowledge of the club and experience of L! and previous successes there. I just don;t think LJ is going anywhere unless there is some sort of catastrophe here. 

ScreenShot_20170820212535.png

ScreenShot_20170820212458.png

First teams average starting ages - Barnsley 23 / 24 years old - ours is 26+

ScreenShot_20170820214909.png

ScreenShot_20170820214839.png

42 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think he would NTB. SL took it on the chin big time last season. After all the money spent I have no doubt he will not risk that again. LJ has to come up with the goods for SL to justify the backing to himself and to a much lesser extent you and I.

As far as plan B....That is a factor of availability and when/how the last straw is broken. GON is sitting in poll position for interim coach with one or two others as side kicks right now if necessary. Full time coach/manager who knows who may become available.

We could always judge him on Tinman right? ....Joking aside he is being very much judged on LJ after last season, but does a bloke worth 2 billion care who is judging him anymore...I wouldn't and would not blame him if he didn't...But relegation is unthinkable and that's just about the business!! 

8 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Meh, got something wrong, shall go and say a billion Hail Marys or something.

Point still stands, money doesnt equate success

That figure was your point. The fact you got it wrong renders it useless.

The point you were arguing against wasn't that a £1.2m signing should equal success. It was that £20m and 3 transfer windows should be a sign of progress. 

Archived