IGNORED

What does Lansdown see that most of us can't ?

Andy082005

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Another correction for you, old chap, to go with @Bob Bob Super Bob's correction: the "stability" you speak of there and all the "backroom changes that go along with a managerial change," - this is trotted out often, a cliche almost, but does it hold true?

Do you want a minute to think about whether sticking with a struggling manager/head coach last season resulted in no backroom changes?

John Pemberton? Ring any bells? Dean Holden, Jamie Mac? Des Taylor? 

Apologies JD - I'm maybe being Sunday stupid here' -  you've mentioned me but lost me ?

Edit

Forget that JD - I'm with you now ! 

:thumbsup:

12 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Cmon this is city,we have since forever flattered to decieve with brief glimpses of success. Im 30 years in and things don't change. Less stressful that way 

30 years in, you would get less than that for murder.

47 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

We are curently on one of our longest consecutive runs in this league, in our long and and industrious history we are in season 3 up here this time around.  Which a nice added bonus. 

Our spells, or seasons/consecutive seasons, in this league - the second tier of English football - are as follows:

5 (ending with promotion)

11 (ending with promotion)

And now 3.

So, in eleven separate second tier spells, this is the 8th longest (currently).

12 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Spoken like a lady who was 200 miles away. So nerr

Not wanting any positives then? 

Okies, we suck and are doomed, is that better?

We've lost once in 4 

My bottle of wine maths says we'd be on for around 60 points ish, and that's pretty good. 

there werent any positives, he needs to be romved from the post for the good of the club, this is turning into a SoD all over again

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't disagree with you or have alluded that it's a bad thing in my posts. Just pointing out a few things that are changing.

As for your Everton scenario...lovely...well done them.

You then have the other side of the coin in football...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn?CMP=share_btn_fb

In remember reading that article at the time. Disgusting behaviour by Liverpool.

No wonder Everton often claim to be the City's true, local club..

28 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Wise words, spud.

But what would football be, without such obsession/passion/involvement? Without thousands of people becoming embroiled in it? It would be rugby union, that's what. Football needs this obsession/involvement, makes billions from it. And that obsession is a double-edged sword, which owners and their like don't like. 

And we all fill our lives with something, even rugby union types (although what they fill the void in their lives with, I do not know).

True...but football as a business, gets far more out of it than the fan does imo.

Football is a business...to the fan it is a 'way of life'.

The business has the fan by the short and curlies....as they know they are a captive audience.

If you were to put it on a 'happiness' scale...as a fan, would you be more inclined towards frustration than happy?

Passion can take over your life.

Personally I think it's healthy to have many passions and not put all your eggs in one basket. There is only one winner there.

Fortunately, I have many passions and can spread my time however I feel on the day.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

And how many players has LJ brought in, in the near 2 years & 3 transfer windows he wanted to be judged on, that we've sold for more money, or could sell for big money? 

Just Kodjia I gue....ah wait that was Cotts. 

Engvall? Wait he's isn't good enough 

O'Dowda? He's not good enough either

Ummm...Hegeler? Wait he plays him out of  position

Brownhill? He plays him out of position too

I'm struggling here :dunno:

Spot on. LJ has not got a clue how to construct a side and our lack of balance is plain for all to see.

4 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

This is the Championship, every team from Burton to Middlesbrough will produce different challenges which we ,as does everyone else,  have to counter. Are you suggesting that if we dont get it exactly right we sack the manager every two games?

As to new signings, who does not build up a new acquisition? And it is not unusual for new players and those around them take a few games to gel. That can often br particularly true of foreign players who need to get use to the speed of the English game and the change of language / culture etc

It's obvious teams are going to lose as well as win. I'm not stupid enough to think that we should win every single game or sack the manager. It's the manner of our defeats that is a concern.

We can play well as we showed against Barnsley, but as I have said before when it comes to a physical battle we are not up to it. More concerning is that the manager seems unable to do anything about it during the game.

Harry Redknapp said that when they played against us he could see that we were over-running them in midfield and brought on someone with a bit of physical presence and turned it around.

It's now obvious to anyone due to play us that we are lightweight in midfield, so stick a couple of big physical chaps in the middle of the park and you stop Bristol City from playing.

We need to see a reaction, and if we don't have the players for a physical battle then we need to ask why? Đurić is injured, Hegeler can play in the middle but he is a bit slow, Pack is great at spraying passes, but that is no good if we aren't winning the first ball in the middle of the park, Korey Smith is prone to losing a physical battle and Brownhill is a youngster who needs a bit of experience to help him, O'Neil is ideal but there are questions as to whether he can cope now. We need a couple of strong boys in the middle. Someone like a fit Marvin Elliott used to be would be ideal!

24 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

It's obvious teams are going to lose as well as win. I'm not stupid enough to think that we should win every single game or sack the manager. It's the manner of our defeats that is a concern.

We can play well as we showed against Barnsley, but as I have said before when it comes to a physical battle we are not up to it. More concerning is that the manager seems unable to do anything about it during the game.

Harry Redknapp said that when they played against us he could see that we were over-running them in midfield and brought on someone with a bit of physical presence and turned it around.

It's now obvious to anyone due to play us that we are lightweight in midfield, so stick a couple of big physical chaps in the middle of the park and you stop Bristol City from playing.

We need to see a reaction, and if we don't have the players for a physical battle then we need to ask why? Đurić is injured, Hegeler can play in the middle but he is a bit slow, Pack is great at spraying passes, but that is no good if we aren't winning the first ball in the middle of the park, Korey Smith is prone to losing a physical battle and Brownhill is a youngster who needs a bit of experience to help him, O'Neil is ideal but there are questions as to whether he can cope now. We need a couple of strong boys in the middle. Someone like a fit Marvin Elliott used to be would be ideal!

I do not disagree with you, however after one half at Birmingham, sixty minutes at Brentford and the Millwall match isnt the reaction on here a bit excessive, ujnless of course some have there agenda already set.

Am looking forward to Friday where I am sure we wil all be fully behind City

I've read some incredible things on here, but SL's motivation for investment being tax driven is I think never going to be topped :blink:

If I was in a taxi and the driver said that I would be looking for the hidden tv camera. 

42 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I do not disagree with you, however after one half at Birmingham, sixty minutes at Brentford and the Millwall match isnt the reaction on here a bit excessive, ujnless of course some have there agenda already set.

Am looking forward to Friday where I am sure we wil all be fully behind City

I'm never quite sure what the "agenda" of people with an "agenda" is supposed to be. I'm guessing that the assumption amongst those happy with Lee Johnson's managership is that there are large numbers of posters on OTIB who irrationally hate the man and want him out, and look for any opportunity to further that objective. There may indeed be some of those, but as a regular visitor I'd say they are outnumbered by those troubled by what appears to me to be Lee Johnson's inability to do the job needed. I don't have any personal feelings against him, I just think that this season, which started so brightly, has already begun to carry echoes of most of last season, when we chalked up the worst run of results in the club's history despite having all of the advantages of an excellent ground, large attendances and comfortably the most expensively assembled squad in the club's history.

I've been watching City for 50 years this year...man and boy...been a regular attendee home and away for over 35 years. I'd like to see us mount a credible challenge to get back in the top flight in my lifetime. I perceive resources being thrown away on a project which has next to no realistic chance of success given that it's being led by men with no track record. I don't think the reaction to the start we've made this season is an over-reaction, it's a despair that lessons don't appear to have been learned. Great for those who see it more positively...I wish I did.

I'll be driving back from a holiday in Cornwall with my two sons to watch the match on Friday night, and will be as prepared as ever to be surprised!

COYR and all of that.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm never quite sure what the "agenda" of people with an "agenda" is supposed to be. I'm guessing that the assumption amongst those happy with Lee Johnson's managership is that there are large numbers of posters on OTIB who irrationally hate the man and want him out, and look for any opportunity to further that objective. There may indeed be some of those, but as a regular visitor I'd say they are outnumbered by those troubled by what appears to me to be Lee Johnson's inability to do the job needed. I don't have any personal feelings against him, I just think that this season, which started so brightly, has already begun to carry echoes of most of last season, when we chalked up the worst run of results in the club's history despite having all of the advantages of an excellent ground, large attendances and comfortably the most expensively assembled squad in the club's history.

I've been watching City for 50 years this year...man and boy...been a regular attendee home and away for over 35 years. I'd like to see us mount a credible challenge to get back in the top flight in my lifetime. I perceive resources being thrown away on a project which has next to no realistic chance of success given that it's being led by men with no track record. I don't think the reaction to the start we've made this season is an over-reaction, it's a despair that lessons don't appear to have been learned. Great for those who see it more positively...I wish I did.

I'll be driving back from a holiday in Cornwall with my two sons to watch the match on Friday night, and will be as prepared as ever to be surprised!

COYR and all of that.

I'm not entirely sure anyone needs to say another word on the matter. Perfectly summed up. 

Here we all are, fans giving out mixed opinions. Remembering the fact we have no control over the club. However, I would love to be a fly on the wall in board meetings. I wonder how many board members want Johnson out, but are frustrated by the fact Lansdown has the final say. 

53 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

COYR and all of that.

Spot on.

8 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

As far as I understand it, the very wealth have many ways to offset their tax. Very simplistically, one such way is to set up a company which makes a loss every year. You don't pay tax on a loss, so if you own a loss making company, the money on your income statements can be shown in such a way that the losses from one company offset the profits from another, thus you pay less tax (you pay taxes on profits from companies). In South Africa the super rich own wine farms (not sports teams) another sure fire loss making initiative.

This isn't true, but even if it were it would make no sense.  Let's say I make a £10m profit in one business I have to pay tax on, and offset it by making a £10m loss in another business.  Hooray, no tax to pay.  No profit either though.  I'd have been better off paying the tax... 

SL is not making money from investing in BCFC or Bristol Sport or anything related, his motives are philanthropic.  He's just not very good at making sporting decisions.  Finance, investment, possibly even infrastructure development - great.  Picking managers, understanding fans, transfer deals, not so much.

7 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Which strikes me as a recipe for future chaos, not stability, no matter how much Lansdown might want the latter. I think we all understand what he wants, and would love to see it, he's going about it the wrong way, in my opinion.

How would you go about creating a stable club Red?

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

How would you go about creating a stable club Red?

I'd recruit a management team who'd got experience of achieving what I wanted to achieve. I've never managed a football team but in other walks of life that's what you do...agree objectives and put together a team that has the necessary experience to deliver them.

And off the pitch I'd be looking to build strong links with local business and opinion formers. I'd construct a Board more like that at a club like Burnley...significant local people all contributing ideas and offering challenge...something that could survive the loss of a single individual.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

COYR and all of that.

I don't 'hate' the man RE as I don't know the bloke. I'm sure he's a very nice fella. I'm of the opinion, like others, that he's just not very good at the job he's employed to do, that's all. No other Manager / head coach has been afforded the backing he's received and, just my opinion, I don't think he's done or is doing a good enough job for that backing. If he proves me wrong, happy days but I've seen or heard nothing to suggest he's going to.

I appreciate it's neither a popular nor a relevant view as SL does whatever he wants but I stand by my opinion of last season that he shouldn't still be at the club.

Is it beyond possibility that his dad will eventually come in as DoF so SL can complete his team?

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'd recruit a management team who'd got experience of achieving what I wanted to achieve. I've never managed a football team but in other walks of life that's what you do...agree objectives and put together a team that has the necessary experience to deliver them.

And off the pitch I'd be looking to build strong links with local business and opinion formers. I'd construct a Board more like that at a club like Burnley...significant local people all contributing ideas and offering challenge...something that could survive the loss of a single individual.

I think you'll find that what you've said is pretty much what SL has done.......The difference is that LJ has no managerial cv to speak of.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I think you'll find that what you've said is pretty much what SL has done.......The difference is that LJ has no managerial cv to speak of.

I'm afraid I don't think he has for a moment. Take a look at the Burnley board...we have no one like that, decades of experience, despite one chap having a 49% of shares no one "owning" the place...and they have, as far as I can see, no one's son on board.

None of the current coaching team have a CV to speak of...and I'm unconvinced by Mark Ashton...what's his track record at this level?

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think you'll find that what you've said is pretty much what SL has done......

No - he thinks / believes he has - big difference

.The difference is that LJ has no managerial cv to speak of.

So , in essence he hasn't then 

Also the head of recruitment (A pivotal role IMHO) appears to be a poisoned chalice / revolving door , and as far as I'm aware we don't even have one atm

Archived