IGNORED

The Millwall Debacle

Nibor

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

My first game of the season today. My decision not to renew my ST came down to a financial one. However I must say...

How glad am I that I made the choice not to renew! Everything today reminded me of last season. I know the Barnsley game was decent, particularly the first 45, but I feel performances like that will be few and far between.

Truely was shocking, void of ideas, no attacking threat, no real movement and one at least 3 occasions our own players tackling each other!

With us being weaker without Tammy there lies a long hard season ahead. Really can't see where the goals will come from...

I did renew although i lost my seat as i did it late, im starting to regret it already, compounded by the new bloke i sit next to has terrible bad breath, even my lad noticed the smell two seats away, no wonder the previous person moved!

Millwall shipped 4 at home on Tuesday yet we barely threatened them all game. We didn't look like we had a plan of what to do apart from 10 mins until half-time, and small spells at the start and end of the 2nd half. Then I hear LJ moaning about the fixture list in August - incredible. 

Fielding probably MOTM despite his shambolic kicking. I guess Wright and Baker were fairly solid and dealt with corners well. Struggling to credit any others. Joe Bryan, who somehow was given official MOTM, had a terrible first half. He seemed to think he all day long of the ball and was closed down so many times. 2nd half he did improve and hit a decent effort (one of only 2 efforts of note at their goal). Pisano not too bad but turns like a tank.

Korey Smith was incredibly bad. Pack marginally better. But essentially that central midfield isn't going to do anything in this league. Brownhill is not a winger either. Paterson tried to be productive but wasn't - I do think he is a reasonable player though and when he was involved at the end of last season it really helped us.

Up top Diedhoiu had a poor touch and was isolated. I think he will be good long term but he had little chance today. Reid the odd good touch but not involved much.

Very concerning so far. Forget Plymouth in the reserves cup. Barnsley are clearing a shocking side - stripped of all their decent players. Birmingham weren't great (although we did play well first half) and Brentford have had a shocking start yet apparently battered us for the majority of the game. Now Millwall, who will be down there with us, outplayed us. In fact no surprise to see all these teams in the bottom half despite how early it is.

I'll be amazed if we aren't in the bottom 6 teams.

Nibors summary was detailed and spot on. That was a truly dire 90 minutes and my only highlight was the pre match burger!

Our midfield is so desperately lacking in quality : pace/power and goals. In the Champs to be effective you must be strong there to dominate or at least compete in games. Korey had a shocking game and needs to go now. Pack isn't a lot better. Callum OD runs around like a headless chicken and has shown me nothing in over a year at the club. It would be harsh to assess Woodrow on a 20 minute cameo but I so wish we'd taken Vassell. We need more pace up top.

On this showing it could be another long season.

LJ just isn't the manager to take us forward. 

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Millwall shipped 4 at home on Tuesday yet we barely threatened them all game. We didn't look like we had a plan of what to do apart from 10 mins until half-time, and small spells at the start and end of the 2nd half. Then I hear LJ moaning about the fixture list in August - incredible. 

Fielding probably MOTM despite his shambolic kicking. I guess Wright and Baker were fairly solid and dealt with corners well. Struggling to credit any others. Joe Bryan, who somehow was given official MOTM, had a terrible first half. He seemed to think he all day long of the ball and was closed down so many times. 2nd half he did improve and hit a decent effort (one of only 2 efforts of note at their goal). Pisano not too bad but turns like a tank.

Korey Smith was incredibly bad. Pack marginally better. But essentially that central midfield isn't going to do anything in this league. Brownhill is not a winger either. Paterson tried to be productive but wasn't - I do think he is a reasonable player though and when he was involved at the end of last season it really helped us.

Up top Diedhoiu had a poor touch and was isolated. I think he will be good long term but he had little chance today. Reid the odd good touch but not involved much.

Very concerning so far. Forget Plymouth in the reserves cup. Barnsley are clearing a shocking side - stripped of all their decent players. Birmingham weren't great (although we did play well first half) and Brentford have had a shocking start yet apparently battered us for the majority of the game. Now Millwall, who will be down there with us, outplayed us. In fact no surprise to see all these teams in the bottom half despite how early it is.

I'll be amazed if we aren't in the bottom 6 teams.

Spot on. Ipswich who were tipped by all the experts to struggle and possibly get relegated, have won all 4 games against the same 4 teams we managed 1 win against.

1 hour ago, Corsham Alf said:

Nibors summary was detailed and spot on. That was a truly dire 90 minutes and my only highlight was the pre match burger!

Our midfield is so desperately lacking in quality : pace/power and goals. In the Champs to be effective you must be strong there to dominate or at least compete in games. Korey had a shocking game and needs to go now. Pack isn't a lot better. Callum OD runs around like a headless chicken and has shown me nothing in over a year at the club. It would be harsh to assess Woodrow on a 20 minute cameo but I so wish we'd taken Vassell. We need more pace up top.

Haha yes my only highlight was the pork roll with stuffing outside the club shop, very nice (so it should be for a deep sea diver!), all downhill from there.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

He was the only player who did anything positive with the ball and made himself available.  I don't know how anybody having watched that could describe it as mare unless they had far more disparaging words for the other 9 outfield players.

I thought he had a mare. There's no point making ground if he can't find a pass, he overplays it or as usual keeps his head down. 

I agree he had the intent. He is just inconsistent and with Brownhill on the other side if he doesn't effect play we are gonna be crap. 

And yeah I do, but not quite 9 as the defence were all good :)

59 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Too many fancy tricks and spins for my liking sometimes just needs to do the simple things and don't even start me on that attempted lob.

Thought he looked lively in parts, but mainly poor, the main times he looked any good was when he was linking up with Bobby, who looked like pretty much the only player on the pitch with an ounce of ability. 

Patterson was almost permanently in the wrong position. He gives Bryan an often impossible job going forward as he has buggered off somewhere else leaving Bryan to have to try to take on the full back and winger of the opposition. 

I would be tempted to move him inside and have him just behind Bobby and fam, as his most effective work was in the middle, and some of his interplay with Bobby was sublime. 

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

A word on the ref.  He got pretty much every decision right but was ridiculously fussy about where kicks were taken from. 

I thought for maybe 30 minutes , he gave us everything , including some laughable ones and let us off with a few. Not sure what happened but we played right into their hands, also how he let them get away with kicking the ball away and delaying EVERY free kick we had was ridiculous .

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

We took Diedhiou off and had no presence up top. Woodrow is not the type of striker we needed. Looked bang average. Not saying Diedhiou is setting the world on fire either but apart from Baker and Pisano was the only one who looked physically up for it. 

We could have had Messi and Ronaldo up front it would have made o difference , device was non existent .

29 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I get the impression you weren't impressed

No one , but no one could have been. Absolutely shocking.

My first game of the season and I thought we looked more solid than last season. I also thought Bobby Reid looked like a genuine and skillful striker. Kicking excepted, Fielding was great between the sticks. It will come right. We have lost just once in five games and have scored six more goals than the opposition.

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

Woodrows record is awful, not really a signing that I'm thrilled about, I thought we were looking for a striker with pace and presence, as for Diedhiou I have a bad feeling.

I did wonder about Woodrow when his showreel only had 3 goals on it.

As for Diedhiou...good to see the Tomlin money was spent wisely

21 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

My highlight was also my pre-match burger. Very nice, with gherkins (is he still at Ipswich?) and a large slice of beef tomato. No relish though…

That burger probably made me want to go to sleep during the match. It was a tad boring - at least at Brentford you can watch the planes coming in/out

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

The only positives for me was a nice sausage roll at half time and a good couple of pints in the pub post match

and for me a couple of ciders tonight, fish and chips and a good red wine. Bristol City FC  should now be called the Houdinis, not the Robins, now you see them, now you dont.

1 hour ago, harry may said:

We have had nobody in midfield with the attributes of Marvin Elliot since ........................Marvin Elliot. We've need somebody like that more than ever.

Marvin Elliot didn't have the attributes of Marvin Elliot after the first season  

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Paterson at least looked willing, but nothing was coming off for him. Korey was very poor by his standards, giving the ball away by passing to one of the Millwall players then having to get it back, and winging at the Ref at every opportunity. Joe at least stuck to instruction and stayed out wide, patiently, as only Pack seemed to realise he was there. Frankie again kept us in the game. Other than that everyone was well below par and allowed themselves to be bullied.

Very efficiently summed up

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

The only positives for me was a nice sausage roll at half time and a good couple of pints in the pub post match

You lucky bastard  

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Brentford was far, far worse.

JOHNSON OUT.

Brentford was v v v bad, but worse no, not on your life. That was tragically sh1t

Reids last minute saver partially papered over how toss we were. LJs summation of I'm really pumped and that goal is a season changer looks to be a bit knobby now. 

Get Flint sorted and get him playing or sell the ****** and buy someone to replace the desperately poor Korey Smith.  The bloke is beyond criticism for some totally inexplicable reason, but he has gone from a decent player to a lightweight AGAIN. 

Cant pass shoot or last 90 minutes and LJ REPLACES PACK. Instrumental in Brentfords second goal by just stopping and watching and determined to give the ball away all afternoon today . Korey you need to find form fast or find yourself in the stands as even LJ won't keep missing your performances  

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Korey Smith has gone backwards for me. He gave the ball away countless times. One of which nearly led to a goal. I always preferred him to Pack but now feel we need a partner for Pack in the middle. To be honest if we replaced Pack and Smith with Irvine and Bridcutt we would look much better. 

Yeah, cos what we really need is to spend a shitload more money.... 

Very ugly game today.

Thought Millwall had a good side for the system they play. Not pretty but lots of big lumps. 

Tom Elliot caused us some problems when he came on, decent targetman I thought. I reckon they'll stay up as they'll grind out away draws and a few wins playing like that. Very hard to play against and we had no answer.

I felt it was like watching a talented but fragile team (us) against a mediocre but solid team (them).

By fragile I mean mentally, tactically and physically.

I actually thought it was a reasonable game though. Too many unforced errors  but both teams gave it a go, both sets of fans had their say, amd the weather was good. I've experienced waaaaay worse than that!

The knee jerk reaction to our games is a bit daft.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Very ugly game today.

Thought Millwall had a good side for the system they play. Not pretty but lots of big lumps. 

Tom Elliot caused us some problems when he came on, decent targetman I thought. I reckon they'll stay up as they'll grind out away draws and a few wins playing like that. Very hard to play against and we had no answer.

was that their number 19 ? if so yes i thought he did very well, sort of player we could do with while Đurić is out.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

My first game of the season today. My decision not to renew my ST came down to a financial one. However I must say...

How glad am I that I made the choice not to renew! Everything today reminded me of last season. I know the Barnsley game was decent, particularly the first 45, but I feel performances like that will be few and far between.

Truely was shocking, void of ideas, no attacking threat, no real movement and one at least 3 occasions our own players tackling each other!

With us being weaker without Tammy there lies a long hard season ahead. Really can't see where the goals will come from...

Yet Bobby Reid is still the League's equal top scorer with 4, more than Tammy had at this stage. Also I can't believe people are writing off Woodrow after only a few minutes on the pitch.

Archived