IGNORED

Mid table

SStandUp

We're currently showing signs of a mid table team. 

Anyone who wouldn't be delighted with that is mad.

Yes everyone dreams of promotion and fighting at the top, and yes despite this being Johnsons 3rd transfer window, things don't always work by plans.

In so many ways we're not ready for a promotion challenge. 

Personslly i would be overthemoon with a mid table finish after the last couple of seasons, so should everyone. That's who and what we are at the moment. 

There are massive clubs in this league who have been trying for years to get out. City fans expect it to be so easy, and feel hard done by that we're not fighting for promotion. We're not a big club in this league. We've spent a decent amount of money, so have most clubs. 

City fans need to get their head out of there arses and get a bit more realistic. 

When you consider absolutely everything and look at the much bigger picture, we're a mid table team for now, and we should be relatively content. 

Up the City x

2 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Yes everyone dreams of promotion and fighting at the top, and yes despite this being Johnsons 3rd transfer window, things don't always work by plans.

Personslly i would be overthemoon with a mid table finish after the last couple of seasons, so should everyone. That's who and what we are at the moment. 

There are massive clubs in this league who have been trying for years to get out. City fans expect it to be so easy, and feel hard done by that we're not fighting for promotion. We're not a big club in this league. We've spent a decent amount of money, so have most clubs. 

City fans need to get their head out of there arses and get a bit more realistic. 

When you consider absolutely everything and look at the much bigger picture, we're a mid table team for now, and we should be relatively content. 

Up the City x

I agree with you.

The club need  to push on and establish ourselves as a mid table/top 12 team over the coming seasons instead of constantly flirting with relegation and being a yo-yo championship/league 1 club.

I beileve we can do it, if we go up too soon we will be like lambs to the slaughter I feel  and could potentially end up equalling or beating Derbys woeful point tally they had in the prem one year.

I said we will finish around 14th at the start of the season and reckn this will be the case, Which is better then previous campaign. :blink:

Up the city. :clapping:

The only reason we should be delighted with mid table is because that is all we are showing signs of achieving, at best, with this management set up. Far better placed people than me would more than endorse this view and in a much more robust way than this. 

However, don't lose sight of the fact that City are the 6th or 7th biggest spenders in this close season and all I am hearing or seeing is more of the same from last season in terms of our lack of nous on and off the pitch and a majority of 'players for the future'. 

I have said it before and I will no doubt say it again; we are rewarded with a maximum 3 million purse string for finishing top in this division; albeit this is likely to change next season with the new TV deals coming. In the Prem we would receive 100 million for finishing bottom. Now, I am trying to understand under what business plan we should be working toward a slow steady progress? Each year any club fails to be promoted, and finishing anywhere other than a promotion spot is failure with those financial disparities, they lose a massive pay day that would take 33 years to make up.

Forgive me for being a short termist but steady eddy progress is simply not an option in the Championship these days. So why do we stick with a novice? Perhaps we will be promoted this season and we will all be astounded. Anything less and it would be yet another wasted season. Hopefully promotion it is then.

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The only reason we should be delighted with mid table is because that is all we are showing signs of achieving, at best, with this management set up. Far better placed people than me would more than endorse this view and in a much more robust way than this. 

However, don't lose sight of the fact that City are the 6th or 7th biggest spenders in this close season and all I am hearing or seeing is more of the same from last season in terms of our lack of nous on and off the pitch and a majority of 'players for the future'. 

I have said it before and I will no doubt say it again; we are rewarded with a maximum 3 million purse string for finishing top in this division; albeit this is likely to change next season with the new TV deals coming. In the Prem we would receive 100 million for finishing bottom. Now, I am trying to understand under what business plan we should be working toward a slow steady progress? Each year any club fails to be promoted, and finishing anywhere other than a promotion spot is failure with those financial disparities, they lose a massive pay day that would take 33 years to make up.

Forgive me for being a short termist but steady eddy progress is simply not an option in the Championship these days. So why do we stick with a novice? Perhaps we will be promoted this season and we will all be astounded. Anything less and it would be yet another wasted season. Hopefully promotion it is then.

You do go on!!!

Are you sure you have your facts correct on spending.

If all fans turn up instead of moaning on here they could spend some more.

As said you tell me the last time city stayed in league 1, championship more than 2 seasons??

listen to people like you give us this achievement no doubt. 

Its marathon not a sprint. 

1 hour ago, roddy-d said:

You do go on!!!

Are you sure you have your facts correct on spending.

If all fans turn up instead of moaning on here they could spend some more.

As said you tell me the last time city stayed in league 1, championship more than 2 seasons??

listen to people like you give us this achievement no doubt. 

Its marathon not a sprint. 

Go on about what?

BBC stats not mine. Google it if you can be bothered.

I doubt a couple thousand more fans turning up would change the philosophy and its not just about how much money one spends as Mick McCarthy is reminding us.

I am not at all interested in historical stats; I am about the here and now and the future and so are City to be fair. 

I utterly disagree on the marathon analogy for the reasons i have so clearly laid out in the earlier thread.

4 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Up the City x

Let's see after 10/15 games where we are.

I don't disagree with your sentiment of finishing 12th. I think the issues are a) I don't think we're playing anywhere near good enough to finish 12th b)There's finishing 12th and thinking your building something as opposed to somehow scrapping your way there (I appreciate this is objective) c) I can't honestly believe that if you sat with Steve Lansfown he would agree with you. I honestly think that the playoffs are his goal and to be fair there is no reason why, given his resource, he couldn't achieve that if he made the right decisions.

On what basis have you been given hope of a mid table finish may I ask?

Just curious. 

Better defensively? Offensively? Mental strength improved as a group? Able to outmuscle and / or out think our opponents? 

I appreciate it's early days in the season. It's not in Johnsons tenure as manager though. The jury remains out on a number of signings from last year let alone this. 

There are certain games we need to target in our little mini league with Barnsley and Millwall in that. Birmingham also (at this stage) as Redknapp is still under transition. Brentford was more hope than optimism. Yet it's the performances against Brentford, Birmingham (2nd half) and Millwall which are a cause for concern. Burton beating Brum hasn't helped my thoughts either. 

I hope that Famara can hit 15 or so goals as with that it's going to be very tough. Tammys goals were vital last year. 

Yes, I am glass half empty - and with good reason. Cue the "out of the woodwork" shouts already by the "happy clappers". 

Ill take Championship safety as this point by whatever margin. Would equal zero improvement. 

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

It's worth taking into consideration, when talking about how much we've spent this season, how much prices have inflated. Inflation in prices is going through the roof.

It's only the start of our third season up in the Championship...we are playing catch up in quality, with a lot of established teams, who have already spent plenty of money in previous seasons.

I look at Ipswich under Mick McCarthy, and see how they have stuck with a manager. How they have been in this division for many seasons. Lots of experience and a few good seasons...a few bad. Typical Championship side. Ipswich are a typical Championship side...however...I look at them, and think 'no way would our fan base understand this, or even accept that.

We've seemed to flirt with relegation and Promotion between Championship and League 1 for many years. I don't think the majority of our fan base nowadays, knows what's expected at the higher level tbh. They've got so used to seeing the level we've been at for many years.

Would our fan base put up with 6 or 7 years bobbing around mid table with the same manager? Or would they want the same with a different manager seemingly every year? Which is what happens with a great majority of the teams in the league.

Big Stadium, strong fan base, but still a very small fish in a big pond.

4 games in and we're 11th, have a positive goal difference and have picked up 2 pts from a game we should have been battered, and another game which was scrappy and dull. From 2 games we dominated, we picked up 3 pts, with a comprehensive win and a undeserved defeat. 

One might argue the 4 teams we have played, all are below us and 3 are flirting with the bottom however Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Hull, Villa, Norwich, Reading, Fulham & Brentford have also got off to similar starts or worse starts and these are teams many thought would be bang up there and big players. 

What this season and any season proves, is anyone beats anyone in this league. There are a lot of big clubs with big budgets in this league. We still have a young improving side and the few additions need time to settle.

We lack a natural number 9. Bobby Reid is doing well but he isn't the long term answer and it's too early to judge the lad from Fulham. Ee also need a number 8 who will drive the game forward from midfield.

If in the next 12 days we bring in a quality midfielder who has a bit of bite about them and the Fulham lad starts firing, I think we have enough to be a solid mid table team in this league. We are miles off being a top 6 side but when you look at the teams in this league that has to be expected. 

In reality we are an in between team, slightly too good for League One, but not really good enough to do anything but scrap by in this league.

6 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

We're currently showing signs of a mid table team.  How, when? I leave it at that.

Anyone who wouldn't be delighted with that is mad. Yes, I'd be happy with that. 

Yes everyone dreams of promotion and fighting at the top, and yes despite this being Johnsons 3rd transfer window, things don't always work by plans. I would suggest with more spent in the last 18 months , 2 years than probably the rest of our history SL would be expecting a little more.

In so many ways we're not ready for a promotion challenge. Mainly quality and standard of the team.

Personslly i would be overthemoon with a mid table finish after the last couple of seasons, so should everyone. That's who and what we are at the moment. As I said , I'd be happy with that.

There are massive clubs in this league who have been trying for years to get out. City fans expect it to be so easy, and feel hard done by that we're not fighting for promotion. We're not a big club in this league. We've spent a decent amount of money, so have most clubs. Not sure many would expect promotion, be nice just to look like a solid Championship side though. 

City fans need to get their head out of there arses and get a bit more realistic. All fans? Everyone think exactly the same? 4 games in, one win , 2 draws and we are mid table only because we' beat a poor Barnsley side opening day. Since the we lost to an average Brum, got battered at Brentford and were second best to Millwall yesterday. I think fans are being realistic if they see similarities to last year. We may, hopefully , pick up over the next 6 or 7 games and be a mid table side. As it stands we ain't that !

This time last year we were about 6th on 6 points, did you think we were a top six side?  I hope I'm wrong thinking we will have a similar year to last , but there are few signs that things have improved greatly. We were outplayed at home by a 1 dimensional , average side with limited ambition. They must have been surprised how easily they got behind us yesterday, one simple ball virtually every time.
Things will shape up after 10 games or so , and those next 6 games....

Villa , Reading , Wolves , Derby , Norwich , Bolton.  If we're solid mid table after that run I will be clapping happily.

Up the City x

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's worth taking into consideration, when talking about how much we've spent this season, how much prices have inflated. Inflation in prices is going through the roof.

It's only the start of our third season up in the Championship...we are playing catch up in quality, with a lot of established teams, who have already spent plenty of money in previous seasons.

I look at Ipswich under Mick McCarthy, and see how they have stuck with a manager. How they have been in this division for many seasons. Lots of experience and a few good seasons...a few bad. Typical Championship side. Ipswich are a typical Championship side...however...I look at them, and think 'no way would our fan base understand this, or even accept that.

We've seemed to flirt with relegation and Promotion between Championship and League 1 for many years. I don't think the majority of our fan base nowadays, knows what's expected at the higher level tbh. They've got so used to seeing the level we've been at for many years.

Would our fan base put up with 6 or 7 years bobbing around mid table with the same manager? Or would they want the same with a different manager seemingly every year? Which is what happens with a great majority of the teams in the league.

You have basically said what I was trying to say, only a million times better ha ha 

6 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Up the City x

What you seem to overlook, is that we have had 4 games against sides not among the perceived strongest, and have only played well in a match and half.

If we are still mid-table after the next 5 games against perceived stronger sides then I will be delighted. However, based on the performances and tactical ineptitude from the last 2 games I rather fear our points tally may not have changed at all after those 5 games and we will be in or close to the bottom 3. 

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

You may well be right about impatience generally, but for me, at least, the key difference between the scenario you describe and the state of play at Ashton Gate is the experience and quality of the manager. I've no idea how Ipswich are run these days, but not so long ago they were a model Championship level club with a depth of leadership under people like Sheepshanks that we have never had.

In the dug out they currently have one of the more experienced managers in the business...precisely the sort of man I'd be looking to build a solid Championship base around. 

8 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Up the City x

were we ever seriously looking for anything more. there are new players needing to bed into the club and gameplay possibly one or two more. did it not used to be felt new players took 10 games to bed in. see where we are at Xmas and run from there

COYR

With regards to performances. Last couple haven't been great, first couple were OK. 

Brentford are a top side, especially at home. To get battered and take a point, shows some sort of progression. We wouldn't of got a point in that game the last couple of seasons.

I think the first 4 games shows exactly where we are and why I think we'll be mid table. Capable of playing some of the best football in the league, but not good enough to do it week in week out on a consistent basis.

I fully understand why City fans have concerns, Especially after yesterday. Unable to break down a poor side, but that's where we are. In fact as long as I've supported City, we've always been worst against the poorer sides. I shouldn't imagine many teams will come to AG with a mentality like Millwalls, which will play in our favour. Away from home, we have to be better, simple as that! 

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Dig around Spud and have a look how much money they have spent the last 2-3 seasons; I bet added up its probably 20% of BCFC's spend. Notwithstanding Kodjia sale.

You liked Red Exiles remarks.. so do I; my point exactly.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Stoke fans were complaining about stagnation and wanting Hughes out, finishing 13th in the Prem last season not being enough. Now they have beaten Arsenal so everything is probably fine now.

I remember Charlton fans being dissatisfied with top 10 finishes, wanting to go to the so called next level. Look at them now.

We fans are not renowned for our patience, realism and consistency. ;)

7 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Dig around Spud and have a look how much money they have spent the last 2-3 seasons; I bet added up its probably 20% of BCFC's spend. Notwithstanding Kodjia sale.

You liked Red Exiles remarks.. so do I; my point exactly.

If we had an owner that got in an experienced manager and let him get on with it his way, then things maybe different. We did that with Steve Coppell... Look how that turned out. Plus we have given money in the past to 'inexperienced' managers to fix short term. 

We have a blueprint set out by the club, that LJ has agreed to adhere too. 

His hands are tied in many ways compared to some other managers. 

Not making excuses for LJ... But his position is different to say 'arry at Brum 

12 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Up the City x

What signs are we showing of being a mid table team. We started great and performances have got worse.

3 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

were we ever seriously looking for anything more. there are new players needing to bed into the club and gameplay possibly one or two more. did it not used to be felt new players took 10 games to bed in. see where we are at Xmas and run from there

COYR

This is really funny, do you not think other squads have new players "to bed in" Cardiff for example, same old; give it 10 games, give it till xmas, give it till end of xmas window then they will need time blah de blah.

Yesterday it seemed our astute manager blamed Millwall for ......well playing like Millwall always have done and then moaned about our players being "battered and blue" if he honestly didn't know that would happen, well he should be sacked right now. He didn't pick a team to deal with them (locking Flint in the cupboard for a start) did he really think Millwall would let us play our tappy, tappy game? We were bullied out of it by a team that were a division below last season, there will be tougher challenges ahead...much tougher we will not be ready for them either.  

Our season ahead is based on hope by many on here......reality is coming however.

38 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

This is really funny, do you not think other squads have new players "to bed in" Cardiff for example, same old; give it 10 games, give it till xmas, give it till end of xmas window then they will need time blah de blah.

Yesterday it seemed our astute manager blamed Millwall for ......well playing like Millwall always have done and then moaned about our players being "battered and blue" if he honestly didn't know that would happen, well he should be sacked right now. He didn't pick a team to deal with them (locking Flint in the cupboard for a start) did he really think Millwall would let us play our tappy, tappy game? We were bullied out of it by a team that were a division below last season, there will be tougher challenges ahead...much tougher we will not be ready for them either.  

Our season ahead is based on hope by many on here......reality is coming however.

did you go?

With regards to performances. Last couple haven't been great, first couple were OK. 

Brentford are a top side, especially at home. To get battered and take a point, shows some sort of progression. We wouldn't of got a point in that game the last couple of seasons.

I think the first 4 games shows exactly where we are and why I think we'll be mid table. Capable of playing some of the best football in the league, but not good enough to do it week in week out on a consistent basis.

I fully understand why City fans have concerns, Especially after yesterday. Unable to break down a poor side, but that's where we are. In fact as long as I've supported City, we've always been worst against the poorer sides. I shouldn't imagine many teams will come to AG with a mentality like Millwalls, which will play in our favour. Away from home, we have to be better, simple as that! 

They might adopt that mentality now after Saturday. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

If we had an owner that got in an experienced manager and let him get on with it his way, then things maybe different. We did that with Steve Coppell... Look how that turned out. Plus we have given money in the past to 'inexperienced' managers to fix short term. 

We have a blueprint set out by the club, that LJ has agreed to adhere too. 

His hands are tied in many ways compared to some other managers. 

Not making excuses for LJ... But his position is different to say 'arry at Brum 

Steve Coppell walked because SL meddled with James. He was polite enough not to rub SL's nose in it. That is what my understanding is. 

The evidence seems fairly clear that SL is not willing to let a manager 'get on with it'.

To finish mid table the Manager either needs to find the personnel and/or a way of playing, particularly away from home, that sees us able to compete for 90 minutes and not just show 15 minutes of tippy tappy football that is nice on the eye whilst getting beat up and outplayed for the other 75 minutes. Go to places like Leeds, Derby, Sunderland, Wednesday etc. and only turn up for 15 of the 90 minutes and it is plain to see that we won't be picking up much on the road this season apart from a few thumpings and will be heavily reliant on home form. In fact go to Burton, Millwall, Bolton, Barnsley etc and only turn up for 15 minutes and we won't pick up much!!!

I'm right in thinking that you think we're a mid table team right? Or maybe you're saying we're showing mid table form?

In the above post, you say that Brentford are a top side. I'm afraid I've got news for you... they're bottom with one point. 

Now I don't necessarily disagree with you that they're a good side, but when you're Saying that we're a mid table side on the basis that we're  currently occupying a mid table slot, you cannot then call brenford a top side. Because they're rock bottom. 

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Steve Coppell walked because SL meddled with James. He was polite enough not to rub SL's nose in it. That is what my understanding is. 

The evidence seems fairly clear that SL is not willing to let a manager 'get on with it'.

The version I heard was,

SL said would you like the England keeper, manager 'Yes' . But what the owner didn't say is that that was all the budget gone in one.
Not good work from either side. 
What the truth is , who knows.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I wish we would stop saying this about ourselves. With the money that we have spent so far this summer we are anything but a smal fish in a big pond and we should be expecting better. 6 th biggest spenders? 5 odd million on one striker? The manager has been well backed financially and there should be no excuses IMO.

Archived