IGNORED

Louis Carey

palmerred

Good interview on the site this morning.

Interesting that Southampton approached him to come in and work with their under 16s. Looks well and seems happy. 

Thought he was cagey in his comments regarding Johnson and McCalister . Get the impression they wouldn't be his best mates or so on, esp on the basis he text Bobby Reid to say he was doing well, but no mention of being in contact with others.

What I don't get is, if a Premier League club see something in him as a coach, why didn't we approach him to run our academy? 

14 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Interesting that Southampton approached him to come in and work with their under 16s. Looks well and seems happy. 

Thought he was cagey in his comments regarding Johnson and McCalister . Get the impression they wouldn't be his best mates or so on, esp on the basis he text Bobby Reid to say he was doing well, but no mention of being in contact with others.

What I don't get is, if a Premier League club see something in him as a coach, why didn't we approach him to run our academy? 

At a risk of sounding like a nay sayer and into the conspiracy theories..... maybe he isn't one of the boys? 

Any proof we haven't approached him & offered him a role in the coaching set-up? Plus it was well documented by himself that he was going to spend time in foreign countries doing some charitable work, so maybe we knew he wasn't available for a while?

Why do people always assume that if we don't sign someone or offer them a job at the club, that we haven't approached 'said players or coaches'? 

Would you expect the club to come out & say "We approached Louis about a coaching role but he's off on his jollies for 2 years so we're going to wait for him to come back" (which he may not of done).

People moan about 'jobs for the boys' & then they moan when there isn't 'jobs for the boys'! Ever get the feeling that the club just can't win?

Maybe the timing was too soon after Tinnion, and with that in mind we wanted him to go out and get experience away from Bristol City, and I don't mean a couple of months at Coventry as that's pretty much all he knows football wise. He might work for the club one day, who knows but going straight from player to boss/coach with no other life input hasn't worked in the past so why would he have been any different back then.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear on my point. He started working for Southampton in the summer for their under 16s. In the summer we had a vacancy in our academy. So my point doesn't relate to him going away for a year doing charity work. In the summer he was looking for coaching work, and wanted by Southampton. He had a great association with this club and I would have liked to have thought we would have been looking at him. Or as I personally see it, he's not too impressed with Johnson and his current staffing team, he seemed to distance himself from any questions relating to Johnson at any time.

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Maybe he hasn't got the qualifications, aptitude, personality and experience to run a Championship Academy ? 

But has the qualifications, aptitude, personality and experience to run Southampton's under 16s which is part of one of the best academy's in the UK ?

9 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear on my point. He started working for Southampton in the summer for their under 16s. In the summer we had a vacancy in our academy. So my point doesn't relate to him going away for a year doing charity work. In the summer he was looking for coaching work, and wanted by Southampton. He had a great association with this club and I would have liked to have thought we would have been looking at him. Or as I personally see it, he's not too impressed with Johnson and his current staffing team, he seemed to distance himself from any questions relating to Johnson at any time.

Not necessarily agreeing with your point re LJ and co but I thought it was interesting what he said about the politics of football clubs. I like Louis and think he always says it as it is.

20 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Maybe he didn't apply for the vacant job in the summer when it was available? I would hardly expect City to contact every ex-player in the hope that they maybe interested in a possible position.

Jamie McCombe is on Lincoln's coaching staff while still being registered as a player (same as Wilbs was here for a couple of weeks), why haven't we offered McCombe a job?

The vacant job was advertised, maybe Carey didn't want it? Maybe Southampton were offering more money? Maybe (as you say) he didn't want to work under LJ & JMc? Maybe he didn't want it seen that he only got the job because he played for us & wanted to prove he deserved a job because of his ability in doing 'said job'?

Why isn't Matt Hewlett working for us? Or Matt Bryant? Or Paul Mardon? All local ex-players of ours.

Why aren't I a millionaire? All questions that no one can really answer & no one really thinks or cares about in the grand scheme of things, Carey has a job & City have filled their vacant position with someone they see fit to do it. As for me, there's far too many reasons why I'm not a millionaire!

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Any proof we haven't approached him & offered him a role in the coaching set-up? Plus it was well documented by himself that he was going to spend time in foreign countries doing some charitable work, so maybe we knew he wasn't available for a while?

Why do people always assume that if we don't sign someone or offer them a job at the club, that we haven't approached 'said players or coaches'? 

Would you expect the club to come out & say "We approached Louis about a coaching role but he's off on his jollies for 2 years so we're going to wait for him to come back" (which he may not of done).

People moan about 'jobs for the boys' & then they moan when there isn't 'jobs for the boys'! Ever get the feeling that the club just can't win?

Yes.

Most Saturday's and many Tuesdays.

1 hour ago, palmerred said:

He's been at Southampton for some time! Was suggested he was doing so on here in October 2015!

...and he featured in social media for Southampton in November 2016...

9 hours ago, palmerred said:

But has the qualifications, aptitude, personality and experience to run Southampton's under 16s which is part of one of the best academy's in the UK ?

The academy that many talented Brisolians and West Country lads joined before City actually took scouting locally seriously. 

10 hours ago, palmerred said:

yeah I had same thoughts as you on this interview     But no mention of his "best buddy " Scotty !    Also surely a job could have been made for Louis  even as under 11/12 /13 /14/15 /16 Coach  here  after all is he not a legend of the club !

If you wanted to get into youth coaching and SOUTHAMPTON FC offered a position why would anyone turn that down for us? There definitely is a "not what you know, but who you know" culture in football but even if all things were equal would you go to a Premier league team, world famous academy and coaching team who have produced "home grown" top level talents and consistently developed in-port talent to turn huge profits on or learn from us? Also they keep pumping out successful coaches too! It's a dream club to have on your studying resume!

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Anyone else surprised this is the first time he's been back??

Odd for a lifelong City fan!

Exactly what I think. Not doubting his Legend status at the club but I have had my doubts that he really has ever supported the club following his decision to leave for Coventry. Also after his comments about 'Bristol United'.

Archived