IGNORED

Difficult question, or is it..?

PFree

1 minute ago, PFree said:

Forgetting the gas link, would do you rate more highly and why - LJ or Darrell Clarke?

In all honesty DC has done wonders with their club over the past few years. Non league to League 1 is pretty impressive.

@BigTone beat me to it...I think any dispassionate observer...which probably rules out most OTIB posters!...would have to acknowledge that a managerial record which includes taking a side from the Conference to the fringes of the League One play-offs is quite impressive. A proven track record of success.

As opposed to...no proven track record of success whatsoever and a record losing streak.

That's not to say that I want DC as the manager at City!

Would you consider the talent of a manager to be one of coaching raw players into top flight players? Or would you consider the ability to do a job given the constraints of the club he is with? In terms of getting the best out of what he has been dealt, there are not many with a more convincing CV than DC. Where LJ rates is another debate.

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

In all honesty DC has done wonders with their club over the past few years. Non league to League 1 is pretty impressive.

Spot on Tone.

DC has taken a club from absolute obscurity and taken them to the verge of League 1 plays-offs all on a shoe-string budget.

In my opinion I believe DC has improved the playing side of their club; as much as it pains me to write this, I'm not sure I can say the same for LJ.

Always sticks in the throat to give kudos to Rovers but manager wise DC has proven himself to be one of the best at the moment below Championship level. With the money and constraints he has to deal with he has done really well. What is he like when he has money to spend will be interesting as some promising managers just seem to fail when funds start becoming available.

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

a  managerial record which includes taking a side from the Conference to the fringes of the League One play-offs is quite impressive. A proven track record of success.

Of course Johnson has already done that...albeit the other Johnson.. .

3 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Would you consider the talent of a manager to be one of coaching raw players into top flight players? Or would you consider the ability to do a job given the constraints of the club he is with? In terms of getting the best out of what he has been dealt, there are not many with a more convincing CV than DC. Where LJ rates is another debate.

That's a most tantalising of posts, Erithacus.  As far as I can see, both managers have been set the task of fulfilling the tasks posed in both of your opening questions.  

I, personally, would take Darrell Clarke every single time over Lee Johnson.  

The beauty here for him would be he's ready-accustomed to working under deluded lunatics who know ****-all about actual football but he would have financial backing and be a part of a genuinely ambitious football club.  

I liken managers to players in that they have a certain talent and rating for their position, and can improve in a good environment. Given the right ingredients, a manager can bring out the best in a squad/club; he can also bring the lot down too if the chemistry turns poisonous. Take a look at almost any manager with a few years under his belt and you can apply critique to the finest degree. A classic example would be someone like Brian Clough: those great years at Derby and Forest were put into perspective with his short and stormy reign at Leeds. Take Sir Alec at United; his early years were close to disastrous and he avoided the boot by the skin of his teeth. And then look how he performed.

What really intrigues me is the thought that managers have a certain style and ability to work at a particular level. Some seem born to be brilliant at the lower clubs with poor finances and difficult circumstances; with a move to a bigger club and different demands, that same manager is sometimes found out and crashes badly. Other managers are clearly a perfect fit for the very top, but struggle when working down the leagues. In other words, there aren't many managers who can crack it at the lesser lights and 'gain promotion' to the glamourous clubs - and still have success.

Another thing that I find intriguing is how a player becomes a manager - and has a different rating. So many great players have ended their playing careers and gone into management, only to get a kicking; contrast that with the acclaimed managers - they often had inauspicious playing careers. The two jobs seem worlds apart!

Football Management has a very lengthy and complicated description, and I don't fancy trying to write the modules for it.

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

That's a most tantalising of posts, Erithacus

Why, thank you WTFiGO!?! I like to think I add to the debate with some well-timed waffle at times.   ;)

4 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

I liken managers to players in that they have a certain talent and rating for their position, and can improve in a good environment. Given the right ingredients, a manager can bring out the best in a squad/club; he can also bring the lot down too if the chemistry turns poisonous. Take a look at almost any manager with a few years under his belt and you can apply critique to the finest degree. A classic example would be someone like Brian Clough: those great years at Derby and Forest were put into perspective with his short and stormy reign at Leeds. Take Sir Alec at United; his early years were close to disastrous and he avoided the boot by the skin of his teeth. And then look how he performed.

What really intrigues me is the thought that managers have a certain style and ability to work at a particular level. Some seem born to be brilliant at the lower clubs with poor finances and difficult circumstances; with a move to a bigger club and different demands, that same manager is sometimes found out and crashes badly. Other managers are clearly a perfect fit for the very top, but struggle when working down the leagues. In other words, there aren't many managers who can crack it at the lesser lights and 'gain promotion' to the glamourous clubs - and still have success.

Another thing that I find intriguing is how a player becomes a manager - and has a different rating. So many great players have ended their playing careers and gone into management, only to get a kicking; contrast that with the acclaimed managers - they often had inauspicious playing careers. The two jobs seem worlds apart!

Football Management has a very lengthy and complicated description, and I don't fancy trying to write the modules for it.

Why, thank you WTFiGO!?! I like to think I add to the debate with some well-timed waffle at times.   ;)

Waffle and oratory, sophistry and bluff; the intercourse of the literaracy loving lost..

To insert anonymise to your hypothesis I offer up the cases of Joe Jordan and Terry Cooper; distinguished players at the highest level of our game and also successful managers in their own rights at our level, in their time, and with our resources.  What Joe Royle may have achieved here, as he did with Oldham?

The very flavour of thought is more than the thought of flavour itself. 

errrr....  Bob Dylan

It seems to me Lee Johnson fails to get 100% out of the playing resources available to him pretty much every week.

If we can't/won't compete with most of the division financially, then we best have someone in charge who can get the maximum out of our squad on a consistent basis. It's one of the reasons I'd take an old fart like a Warnock or a McCarthy every day of the week (they wouldn't buy into the 5 Pillars stuff so this is entirely hypothetical). I get the feeling Clarke would also get more out of our squad than the current incumbent but who knows really?

I don't have much idea about Mr Clarke because I've given up on trying to absorb all things about any other club. It's bad enough now remembering which day of the week it is.

Seriously I believe that there are such large gulfs now between Premier and Championship and Championship and League One but below that the differences between divisions become significantly less. Players and managers move up a league much more easily then the top two. Only the highly talented are able to make the transition to Championship or above with comfort as we've seen in the last two years.

Clarke is more likely at this point in time, to be a target for a Championship club (I'm guessing) Successive promotions, were'nt Leeds interested a while back?

Lee will have done a bit of damage by "that" run. I mean pretty much everybody who follows football would have noticed that he got really, really lucky to keep his job.

Don't like the guy, but DC at the mo has a higher rating.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The problem with Lee is that I keep asking myself the same questions - How long has he been in charge? How much has he spent and what has he achieved?  Unfortunately, I dont like the answers I get, but on the other hand Alan Dicks had a poor start to his tenure at City and look what he achieved.

Trouble is, the game is almost unrecognisable from the game in 1967

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The problem with Lee is that I keep asking myself the same questions - How long has he been in charge? How much has he spent and what has he achieved?  Unfortunately, I dont like the answers I get, but on the other hand Alan Dicks had a poor start to his tenure at City and look what he achieved.

Yes indeed, let's  hope this is the light at the end of a long dark tunnel.

On the other hand, it could be an onrushing train...

I think Clarke, Tisdale, Robinson and Cooper are all better managers than LJ.... LJ has no real record does he.... It has been debated on here already. Hate to say it but I think Clarke is better tactically and could get more out of the team. What he has done for them is unbelievable given his resources.... His interviews are good and he won't be tickling anyone.... Had we not nicked taylor ... rovers were play off contenders.....

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Alan Dicks didn't waste money on poor signings ( ok perhaps Tony Fitzpatrick! ), he also built a close knit squad.

Compare that with now!.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Clarke is more likely at this point in time, to be a target for a Championship club (I'm guessing) Successive promotions, were'nt Leeds interested a while back?

Lee will have done a bit of damage by "that" run. I mean pretty much everybody who follows football would have noticed that he got really, really lucky to keep his job.

Don't like the guy, but DC at the mo has a higher rating.

I have no reason to dislike DC and you are correct when you say he has a higher rating.  As things stand I would think he is more sought after than LJ is ever likely to be. Certainly if I was the owner of a Championship club and had the choice of recruiting one or the other I know which one I would chose.

I know a couple of unconnected and surprisingly, intelligent gasheads!  Something they have both regularly commented on is his good tactical awareness and how he can make changes to positively affect games.  

With his very limited budget, he's certainly done better than you would have expected with that rabble.

Archived