IGNORED

Difficult question, or is it..?

PFree

As Rumred said earlier, the main question about Clarke is whether he could handle the much bigger budget at this level plus the bigger ego's that budget brings. I have no reason to doubt that he could but also have no reason to think he could.

Let's be honest though, he hasn't really put a foot wrong at the other lot.

Would I want him here, probably not TBH as we would need proven leadership, not someone untried at this level, again.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

As Rumred said earlier, the main question about Clarke is whether he could handle the much bigger budget at this level plus the bigger ego's that budget brings. I have no reason to doubt that he could but also have no reason to think he could.

Let's be honest though, he hasn't really put a foot wrong at the other lot.

Would I want him here, probably not TBH as we would need proven leadership, not someone untried at this level, again.

Once he learned that he didn`t need to act like a classless ******** just to appease the Neanderthals over there.

2 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

I think Clarke, Tisdale, Robinson and Cooper are all better managers than LJ.... LJ has no real record does he.... It has been debated on here already. Hate to say it but I think Clarke is better tactically and could get more out of the team. What he has done for them is unbelievable given his resources.... His interviews are good and he won't be tickling anyone.... Had we not nicked taylor ... rovers were play off contenders.....

Cooper had some of the better players in the division, playing good football, but failed to get out of L1 - he's Danny Wilson.

Would love us to appoint Tisdale and see him succeed but he's comfortable - too comfortable - where he is and probably hasn't got the bottle to hack it higher up the pyramid - too much pressure and too much scrutiny.

Robinson is a bluffer.

Yet none of them would lose 13 out of 16 in a row. Probably.  

What has DC done in the Championship, after all the difference in quality between it and Div 1 is massive. Once he has a CV with Championship details in it I will consider an answer otherwise it's like comparing apples to oranges to me.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I have no reason to dislike DC and you are correct when you say he has a higher rating.  As things stand I would think he is more sought after than LJ is ever likely to be. Certainly if I was the owner of a Championship club and had the choice of recruiting one or the other I know which one I would chose.

Probably right, he has acted the cock a few times, especially over the Grimsby thing and of course the infamous AppyDAZE quote on R. Bristol

He's probably alright

5 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

I'm not sure losing a Clubs League status could be deemed a not expensive matter.

In fairness, he came for how many games at the end? Wardy and the chairman (that bloke who always looked ill, forget his name) at the time stitched him up

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

I'm not sure he was fully to blame for that and last season they finished what, about 16 places behind us?

That's a massive 16 places though. 

DC has done well amongst the lower leagues and pretty average in a division that we walked a couple of seasons previous. 

He's done nothing to make me think he'd be a success at our level. 

26 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That's a massive 16 places though. 

DC has done well amongst the lower leagues and pretty average in a division that we walked a couple of seasons previous. 

He's done nothing to make me think he'd be a success at our level. 

You could very well be right and I'm surprised he hasn't already been snapped up by one of the more ambitious clubs in the lower leagues at least.

To be fair to him, he came from Salisbury and ended back in non league with the sags and at that point they were in practical meltdown.  Where other clubs have taken years to regain their league status, he took them back up at the first attempt. He then got another promotion the next season and who would have bet against him making the L1 play offs, if we hadn't thankfully scuppered that by snatching his star striker.

Given the total joke and shambles of a club he's working with, that's some record and he's certainly displaying a few skills that our Head Coach seems to be totally lacking.  I know the Championship is a very big step up, but if a manager has the ability to get the maximum out of the players he has available, that's a very useful skill to have and could possibly still succeed at a higher level.

I certainly wouldn't bet against him moving upwards, especially now he's seen Wally for what he is and found the sags still don't have a pot to piss in, let alone a new stadium on the horizon.  If he starts stringing some results together, I suspect he'll be moving on sooner, rather than later.

It'll be very interesting to see how he progresses.

Archived