IGNORED

Player Power...Is it slipping?

Mr Popodopolous

Saw a good article the other day.

Plus closer to home, our insisting on the right price for Flint, if indeed he will be sold (if he even wants to leave in any case).

Is player power slipping? Seems clubs are wresting a bit back this summer. Look at Coutinho/Dembele Dortmund- or lack of thusfar. Look at Van Dijk.

http://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-the-summer-that-busted-the-player-power-myth

What do we think?

It so, it is because the clubs are becoming wealthy enough to not need to sell.  

Modric, Jon Stones, Gareth Bale, Suarez are examples of players whereby the club has said: "give us one more season and you're free to go".

I don't think Flint is as desired as those players were; I think he's forced himself into a tight corner. 

Same with Courtinho.  If Barca can't negotiate a deal this Summer,  he will stay put.

Neither us (due to a low Brum offer) or Liverpool (due to being stubborn) are playing ball.

Ross Barkley is one whereby him/his agent have tried to manufacture a move but suitors aren't forthcoming.

In some cases, the power is back with the clubs.

If the money was there the players would still have the power but when they always want more than can be sustained then they cant win (you cant get blood out of halal chicken).

They may have finally drained the lake and we may be moving into a new phase where certain players get paid about the same as what they do now - could go the way of big bonuses which seems to be the preferred method for owners - or could just be a bump in the road and we just keep increasing untill it implodes.

12 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

It so, it is because the clubs are becoming wealthy enough to not need to sell.  

Modric, Jon Stones, Gareth Bale, Suarez are examples of players whereby the club has said: "give us one more season and you're free to go".

I don't think Flint is as desired as those players were; I think he's forced himself into a tight corner. 

Same with Courtinho.  If Barca can't negotiate a deal this Summer,  he will stay put.

Neither us (due to a low Brum offer) or Liverpool (due to being stubborn) are playing ball.

Ross Barkley is one whereby him/his agent have tried to manufacture a move but suitors aren't forthcoming.

In some cases, the power is back with the clubs.

You can add Ronaldo to your list.

As to Barkley, allegedly Spurs want him but won't pay the £30m Everton want.

6 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Think Flints problem is he just signed a 5 year deal shackling him to the club, really put him in a poor positioning position by doing so.

Apparently Courtinho just signed a long term contract in January.  

Footballers' contracts have meant nothing for a while, they have merely meant the club that wants to transfer the player to them has a 'transfer fee' to pay (buying out the contract).

The question is: are some clubs now restisting that offer?

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You can add Ronaldo to your list.

As to Barkley, allegedly Spurs want him but won't pay the £30m Everton want.

And Everton are saying we have Sigurdsson, Klassenn, Rooney, Schneidelen (spl?) Idrissa Gana Guaye and Tom Davies; so sorry boy, we don't need you and we don't need to sell.

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

No coutinho, dembele and van dijk.

Fair enough.  I don't know about Denbele and Van Dijk (are Barca in for Dembele because they can't get Coutinho? Where's Van Dijk s'pose to be going?).  Point is though, some clubs are starting to be able to say no to players because of the money in the game.

6 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Fair enough.  I don't know about Denbele and Van Dijk (are Barca in for Dembele because they can't get Coutinho? Where's Van Dijk s'pose to be going?).  Point is though, some clubs are starting to be able to say no to players because of the money in the game.

Dembele to barca as well as coutinho and van dijk will go either Liverpool or Chelsea. 

Read on here recently that transfer fees are amortised ( i hope that's the right word) over the term of the player's contract, which helps with the club's financial accounting.

It's noticeable that with ever increasing transfer fees players contracts are getting longer (5 and 6 years I've seen lately. With longer contracts, is it going to be easier for club's to hold firm in resisting moves from other clubs, or even transfer requests from players, e.g. Liverpool and Countinho?

@David Brent

Tbh, while what you say is right, it's also the case that all La Liga players have a buyout clause. If that goes through, there's literally nothing club can do about it. Combine that with PSG seemingly not caring about a possible CL ban a year down the line (if it even breaches) and you have a fairly unique situation.

More conventionally, if I was Southampton I would leave the door open at all times,  but if VVD mind made up I would make him train/play with the reserves, the kids or stick him in the stands for a year. Make an example- while door always open for a re-integration. Same if I was Dortmund with Dembele. So far as I'm aware, Coutinho didn't go on strike or such did he? He seems more professional so that case could be handled differently if so.

Time a few clubs made examples if possible IMO. Looks like it is possible here- one of the conditions for Dembele to be granted a move is seemingly a public apology to Dortmund.

I got it wrong about Dembele. Dortmund got greedy I guess- or saw it as way too good to turn down. Not a club with a pressing imperative to sell financially, so it's a bit of a surprise in a way.

Van Dijk and Coutinho- still at their respective clubs. Mbappe to PSG- looks almost certain to go through but they have about a day and a half- unless it's been confirmed OUTRIGHT.

Put it this way. If Van Dijk doesn't get it over the line in a day and a half then he will have to make amends to Southampton or spend 4 months in the reserves/training with the kids.

Maybe these are special cases but I still maintain clubs are pushing back this summer- interested buying clubs have had to push harder even for players who have wanted to move. Look at Mahrez- still at Leicester, price was not met so he stays.

On 20/08/2017 at 22:11, Fiale said:

Think Flints problem is he just signed a 5 year deal shackling him to the club, really put him in a poor positioning position by doing so.

Missed this post, yep reckon so.

Indeed, he's still here isn't he! No buyout clause- unless our asking price is met,  he's going nowhere.

Well...

I was wrong about Dembele. However... Van Dijk and so far- may yet change but Coutinho Liverpool.

Alexis Arsenal, believe Mahrez still at Leicester. Lemar joined neither Arsenal nor Liverpool.

Player power has taken a small dent this summer IMO. Clubs seem keener to hold players to contracts especially people like Van Dijk and Coutinho.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well...

I was wrong about Dembele. However... Van Dijk and so far- may yet change but Coutinho Liverpool.

Alexis Arsenal, believe Mahrez still at Leicester. Lemar joined neither Arsenal nor Liverpool.

Player power has taken a small dent this summer IMO. Clubs seem keener to hold players to contracts especially people like Van Dijk and Coutinho.

Big old dent I reckon. Expect to see downward pressure on release clauses going forward. 

9 hours ago, 29AR said:

Big old dent I reckon. Expect to see downward pressure on release clauses going forward. 

I reckon you will be right. Of course the pulling power of Real, Barca and in some cases Atletico may see them able to negotiate big release clauses for most, but in general terms quite agree.

Could also add to my small list, Dybala- though so far as I know he's happy at Juventus but they didn't buckle when offered around €160m for him. They just refused- Alex Sandro also they refused to sell to Chelsea- again not suggesting he's unhappy there but in past times clubs may see big money and try and sell.

Closer to home we've still got Aden Flint. If he can re-integrate fully he will be like a new signing.

Happy Hörður stayed too- he can play centre back or left back.

Archived