IGNORED

The formation/setup

Mr Popodopolous

So, on here at length has been debating about the team, the combination, Hegeler v Wright, Central midfield and so on. However with our options, surely the Central mid is just a bit like for like, shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic if you like.

LJ clearly wants to proceed with 4-4-2. Said as much pre-season. Does he need to rethink this however?

I think in midfield in particular, this setup highlights our weaknesses and negates the strengths in general terms. Should we be looking at a new setup/formation, or is it too soon in the season?

1 hour ago, LeeTomlin10 said:

If Flint stays we should really be looking to play 3-4-2-1

I think that could be pretty interesting tbh.

Perhaps Hegeler as the third centre back, Flint and Baker either side.

Reid and Paterson just off a lone striker- Đurić? Or Eliason and O'Dowda off the lone striker, whoever that maybe.

Have reservations about the setup but it would definitely be an interesting one and offer more in-game flexibility!

I personally think we now have the players to play 4321 or 433. 

442 is not a formation that I think works for us in the longer term. We have zero width and get done in midfield by managers who are tactically better than LJ.  Either formation would have the following personnel:

Fielding, Pisano, Baker, Wright, Bryan, Hegeler, Brownhill, Reid, Eliason, Paterson Diedhhou. 

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Is Pisano effectively a wing back? Looks like a traditional full back to me.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I posted last week that we could  easily go  3-5-2 as we have four centre backs even without Flint. We also have cover with Golbourne, Vyner, Moore, Plavotic and Kelly

And Pisano and Bryan are much better going forward than they are defensively. Cover here in Vyner, Moore and Kelly. 

The optimum for me has always been 3-5-2 when attacking and 5-3-2 when defending, but Lee seems to prefer 4-4-2 and 4-5-1.

I think when you are building a team the first thing you need to do is get the decending right, then you can introduce more attacking play.

Our defence now seems fairly solid, but Villa on Friday will certainly test that.

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The optimum for me has always been 3-5-2 when attacking and 5-3-2 when defending, but Lee seems to prefer 4-4-2 and 4-5-1.

I think when you are building a team the first thing you need to do is get the decending right, then you can introduce more attacking play.

Our defence now seems fairly solid, but Villa on Friday will certainly test that.

I do think the defence has improved for sure. Stood up well to Millwall's physical pressure, it's the weakness in midfield that allowed them to get through as often as they did.

Archived