IGNORED

Have I missed a thread on our £15 million ex-striker?

LondonBristolian

Not Kodjia. The other one. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41001685

I know he was not at his best here and has done well since but £15 million? Really! Completely different striker to Gray too - will have to change their style as him and our admittedly very unlucky former loan signing Sam Vokes are not going to have a lot of pace...

From what I saw of him here I'm still at a loss... he had a terrible touch and I never really understood why he was so well regarded.  He's done well at Leeds though so what do I know? 

Be interesting to see how he does in the Prem, but I think Vokes is a better player in the same mould.

Lots of money for him, even in this market. Not really sure what he brings that Vokes doesn't - hardly a logical replacement for Gray.

Funny how a fair few players we have had fleetingly on loan have blossomed into prem players.. none of them particularly impressive either at the time.. Vokes (got injured in his defence), Woods, Rose.

Of all those I think most of us would've predicted Caulker to go the furthest by far albeit he's had his problems.

Shows you can't write players off too early.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Or how bad my judgement is.  I haven't seen him play regularly since then though so maybe he's Messi jr now.

Fans are never the greatest at judging talent or potential. Often "mesmerised" by the Wilsheres,  Harts and Barkleys and quite rightly more interested in being entertained rather than looking at an individuals overall worth to the team and potential - IMO.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Shows you can't write players off too early.

Of course you can - Engvall is the best example.  OTIB made a judgement based on last season's fleeting glimpses and most are prepared to say he'll never make it for City because the Swedish league is soooooo inferior.

Bolasie would never amount to anything.  And of course, the famous Matt Smith assessment of 2014.....

(The above is tongue in cheek, I promise)

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

From what I saw of him here I'm still at a loss... he had a terrible touch and I never really understood why he was so well regarded.  He's done well at Leeds though so what do I know? 

Be interesting to see how he does in the Prem, but I think Vokes is a better player in the same mould.

That was nearly 5 years ago to be fair. It's possible he has improved.

As you say, be interesting to see how he does. Vokes is a very useful and underrated player (shame he got injured so soon for us)

It's not only Wood, what about Matt Smith now scoring a few for QPR , and some time ago Liam Rosenior who's done well in the Prem. Then there's Bolassie and Adomah , both doing better  at other clubs than with us. Too often our management is too impatient to see how a player will develop.

Archived