IGNORED

Harry Arter Saturday

Super

Allegedly he shouted 'Sid' , which apparently is used widely by pros rather than ' leave it' as 'leave it' with no name is indirect free kick

Bigger fool Chalobah for falling for it

No one else screamed 'man on' at an opponent , when in fact he has time and space, to try and rush / fluster him ?

:whistle:

25 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Nothing wrong with that imo. Just naivety from Chalobah.

Don't know why it's been frowned upon when nobody bats an eyelid to the constant simulation that goes on.

Spot on. People complaining about this have their priorities seriously in the wrong order given the amount of blatant cheating that goes on each week when players role around on the floor faking injury. 

Common place and not frowned up on in American sports, shouting at some one about to catch a ball in softball/baseball is actively encouraged.

Took a while to get used to whilst coaching and parents were very pleased when I instructed my players not to do it as it is unsporting behaviour.

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So if this happens to us and if costs us a winning goal in play off final, everyone will be okay with it.  Just checking. 

I expect players to leave the ball if they get a call to leave it for a player in a better position so to blame Chalobah is a bit naive 

And if we score the winning goal in a play off final as a result of this, you'll be ok with it?

Just checking

26 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So if this happens to us and if costs us a winning goal in play off final, everyone will be okay with it.  Just checking. 

I expect players to leave the ball if they get a call to leave it for a player in a better position so to blame Chalobah is a bit naive 

All sorts of gamesmanship goes on that fans don't see or don't know about - plenty of off the ball stuff that would technically be cheating. Little tricks like this and bending the rules are just part of the game.

I think there are certain standards that Pros adhere to during a game, and impersonating another player by calling out in such a way is seriously frowned upon.

In the same way as purposely standing on a players foot with your studs. Or pinching under the arm pit and back of legs at corners.

All sorts do go on, which are 'unsporting', but the Pros seem to have drawn a line at some things. That being one of them.

Imagine City defending a corner...and an opponent shouting 'Frankies', and Baker leaving it for Frankie to catch, only for the opponent to head into the goal.

It would be utter carnage if every player started impersonating their opponents.

It's just another form of cheating, along with all the other forms. The more you let them get away with it, the more they will continue to invent more ways of cheating. The game will just deteriorate more imo.

Interestingly a new law was passed to refs this year, where it states... “An important statement has been added that referees should officiate within the 'spirit of the game' and the 'spirit of the Laws' as too many referees (and instructors/observers) apply the Laws too strictly for minor matters''.

41 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Haha, Ive got away with that trick a couple of times in amateur football.

Did you get a load of abuse and opposition players gunning for you. That's what's happened when I've seen it done. Normally ends up in a skirmish or someone going through the player atnext opportunity. 

55 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Pretending to be a teammate and telling him to leave the ball is clearly cheating. 

I can't believe people think this is not cheating. It is clearly against the laws of the game and if the ref have heard this he would of gave a free kick.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Interestingly a new law was passed to refs this year, where it states... “An important statement has been added that referees should officiate within the 'spirit of the game' and the 'spirit of the Laws' as too many referees (and instructors/observers) apply the Laws too strictly for minor matters''.

If only someone had told Saturdays referee. 

53 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I'm pretty sure that shouting 'Mine' or 'Leave it' is a foul. I'd guess it'd be an indirect free kick. If he shouted 'Harry's' or similar then it's Chalobah's own fault

No such thing as a indirect free kick anymore.

I had similar to this once in Sunday football - ball coming up from a goal kick and I called my name. The striker flinched, so backed away and rather than go for the header, waited for it to drop at feet.

Ref had me for ungentlemanly conduct. Which I'm still bitter about - tried to point out the shout was for my team and I'd put a name on it but he was having none of it!

Sky were saying that clubs use a 'code word' rather than just a player calling his name, I guess to stop opposition players from calling out an opposition players name & gaining possession.

It sounds like Arter discovered what the 'code word' was & used it to his advantage or called one of Watford's players names, it's a difficult one to officiate as the referee has to be 100% sure that he has heard something called that is being used to gain an unfair advantage & if clubs are using 'code words', it becomes even more difficult as ref's will be aware of players names & nicknames but is less likely to know a 'code word' especially if it is changed from match to match.

And how exactly is the referee supposed to identify 'simulation' like this during a match?

Couldn't a player taking a clumsy touch then accuse an opponent of an unspecified call.

I expect that the folks who created Hawk-eye are already designing Owl-ear as we speak.

Archived