IGNORED

The official Watford FC v Bristol City FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

Howdy folks!

It's the Watford FC tonight in the Crapabao Cup and after the absolute fiasco of the draw (Are we home? Are we away? Are we Neighbours?), we finally get to proceed to the actual match. Turns out we are away after all. John Salako has been banned from every TV studio in the land. The dozy pillock.

I'm going to try and emulate a little more fact work into my thread today. I'm no Hav but I'm taking inspiration so please bear with.

So Watford is based in Hertfordshire, a county surrounded by poshies to the west (Buckinghamshire), poshies and posh students to the north east (Cambridgeshire), cockneys to the south (Greater London) and perma-tanned brats with flashy motors and life time memberships to the Sugar Hut, to the east (Essex). Watfordians must have a London accent as my cousin currently resides in Buckinghamshire and when they left Bristol, had an accent akin to Adge's. Now they sound like an extra off Eastenders so it goes without saying that with Watford being closer, it's guaranteed.

Watford has always been an industrial place with many different aspects to income. With the Great Union Canal and railway lines linking directly to London and Birmingham respectively, coal and gas were mass produced back in the day. There was also a paper mill that produced fine quality paper, which in turn helped Watford become a base for printing firms in the SE. Nowadays, Watford is a centre of excellence for TV and film production. Leavesden Studios (famous for the Harry Potter films) was once an aerodrome and de Havilland factory making the Halifax bomber from WW2. A plane that utilised Bristol engines, these engines were built up in gas territory in Filton...

Watford FC is most famous for its association with Reg Dwight himself aka Sir Elton John. He used to own the club when it was at it's peak in the Graham Taylor (RIP) years. They both became life presidents and Elton still is to this day. Hakuna Matata.
Watford are nicknamed The Hornets and play in black and yellow. Like a hornet obviously. The nickname was chosen by a fan poll when they changed their main colours from blue and white. A hornet is a giant wasp with a big attitude problem. When I lived in Devon, there was a well known hornets nest on our Uni playing fields. If one of us kicked a ball anywhere near that tree, we'd all shit ourselves at the thought of going to get it. They were nasty bastards and many of us got stung...

Vicarage Road is the home of Watford and is smaller than our dear AG at only 23,000. It was originally owned by a brewery. Like us though, Vicarage Road has its own Halt, which like us, is derelict because British Rail/Network Rail/Labour/Tories/the local Council can't see what is blatantly staring them in the face... Fun fact for you all. Vicarage Road has also been the home of Saracens Rugby and Wealdstone FC - yep the team of "You got no fans. You want some? I'll give it ya..." fame...

On to tonight. We will probably be schooled and I feel the LJ Tombola might just see daylight for the first time in months, when it's loaded on to the Peter Carol express. Aden Flint will be cup tied and that will make him less attractive to potential buyers... what potential buyers I hear you ask? The ones in January. He ain't going anywhere in the next two weeks now. 3-1 to Reg and co. The bigger boys do tend to win out over the smaller boys. That's the circle of life... Though just occasionally, I'd imagine the Mandrill would pick up the wrong Lion Cub and the circle is altered ever so slightly. I'm stopping there as that is starting to sound like hope.

FYI, it's unlikely we'll be in it but the 3rd round draw is scheduled to be held on August 24th in CHINA! AT 4.15AM UK TIME! That's what having money for a sponsorship gets you. A cup draw for a football competition in a country, over a 1000 miles away, at a time and venue suitable to you. Carabao drink is also disgusting btw.

Finally, it's time for an old manager cliche. "We can concentrate on the league"..........can't we?

Come on you reds/purples...

9 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Howdy folks!

It's the Watford FC tonight in the Crapabao Cup and after the absolute fiasco of the draw (Are we home? Are we away? Are we Neighbours?), we finally get to proceed to the actual match. Turns out we are away after all. John Salako has been banned from every TV studio in the land. The dozy pillock.

I'm going to try and emulate a little more fact work into my thread today. I'm no Hav but I'm taking inspiration so please bear with.

So Watford is based in Hertfordshire, a county surrounded by poshies to the west (Buckinghamshire), poshies and posh students to the north east (Cambridgeshire), cockneys to the south (Greater London) and perma-tanned brats with flashy motors and life time memberships to the Sugar Hut, to the east (Essex). Watfordians must have a London accent as my cousin currently resides in Buckinghamshire and when they left Bristol, had an accent akin to Adge's. Now they sound like an extra off Eastenders so it goes without saying that with Watford being closer, it's guaranteed.

Watford has always been an industrial place with many different aspects to income. With the Great Union Canal and railway lines linking directly to London and Birmingham respectively, coal and gas were mass produced back in the day. There was also a paper mill that produced fine quality paper, which in turn helped Watford become a base for printing firms in the SE. Nowadays, Watford is a centre of excellence for TV and film production. Leavesden Studios (famous for the Harry Potter films) was once an aerodrome and de Havilland factory making the Halifax bomber from WW2. A plane that utilised Bristol engines, these engines were built up in gas territory in Filton...

Watford FC is most famous for its association with Reg Dwight himself aka Sir Elton John. He used to own the club when it was at it's peak in the Graham Taylor (RIP) years. They both became life presidents and Elton still is to this day. Hakuna Matata.
Watford are nicknamed The Hornets and play in black and yellow. Like a hornet obviously. The nickname was chosen by a fan poll when they changed their main colours from blue and white. A hornet is a giant wasp with a big attitude problem. When I lived in Devon, there was a well known hornets nest on our Uni playing fields. If one of us kicked a ball anywhere near that tree, we'd all shit ourselves at the thought of going to get it. They were nasty bastards and many of us got stung...

Vicarage Road is the home of Watford and is smaller than our dear AG at only 23,000. It was originally owned by a brewery. Like us though, Vicarage Road has its own Halt, which like us, is derelict because British Rail/Network Rail/Labour/Tories/the local Council can't see what is blatantly staring them in the face... Fun fact for you all. Vicarage Road has also been the home of Saracens Rugby and Wealdstone FC - yep the team of "You got no fans. You want some? I'll give it ya..." fame...

On to tonight. We will probably be schooled and I feel the LJ Tombola might just see daylight for the first time in months, when it's loaded on to the Peter Carol express. Aden Flint will be cup tied and that will make him less attractive to potential buyers... what potential buyers I hear you ask? The ones in January. He ain't going anywhere in the next two weeks now. 3-1 to Reg and co. The bigger boys do tend to win out over the smaller boys. That's the circle of life... Though just occasionally, I'd imagine the Mandrill would pick up the wrong Lion Cub and the circle is altered ever so slightly. I'm stopping there as that is starting to sound like hope.

FYI, it's unlikely we'll be in it but the 3rd round draw is scheduled to be held on August 24th in CHINA! AT 4.15AM UK TIME! That's what having money for a sponsorship gets you. A cup draw for a football competition in a country, over a 1000 miles away, at a time and venue suitable to you. Carabao drink is also disgusting btw.

Finally, it's time for an old manager cliche. "We can concentrate on the league"..........can't we?

Condensed Version

Watford

Expect to find Elton John lurking in the players showers.

1-1

15 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Howdy folks!

Boooooooooooo, rubbish!!!

Bring back Havanatopia!

Why should a Johnson-lover do the match thread.

It's a sad day when Steve's influence has infected OTIB.

Booooooooo.

:disapointed2se:

tfj  :protest:

13 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Why the bin @Kotsy? Constructive criticism is always welcome. Got my big girl pants on too... let's hear it.

Whilst I don't feel quite as strongly as TFJ above, the best way to describe it is you're the Pepsi to Havanatopia's Coke - very much the same product, but something key is missing which ultimately leads to its downfall. All IMO of course.

3 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

Whilst I don't feel quite as strongly as TFJ above, the best way to describe it is you're the Pepsi to Havanatopia's Coke - very much the same product, but something key is missing which ultimately leads to its downfall. All IMO of course.

Thanks for getting back to me. Appreciate the feedback.

Fwiw, fanta is better than tango. So I can totally agree with that analogy.

So a match between Watford's reserves and City's reserves in a game no one is interested in , for a cup that no one cares about or wants to win . 

Both clubs will be more intent on guarding their league status than having an unnecessary run in an unnecessary and uninspiring Mickey Mouse tournament .

Can't wait .

It will be a case of ' who wants it less'  more . 

Roll on Friday and a change of tempo for Villa .

Hi Peg, thanks for the post . Just one small point is that China, Beijing to be precise, is approx 5,000 miles as the crow flies. It'll be knackered by the time it gets there. Let's see if the Chinese can **** up the draw as was done for this round. Although highly unlikely that we'll be in it. 

Completely pointless game that I have nothing but apathy for- we always get crap cup draws where our ceiling is always a lower mid table Premier League team that will beat us comfortably. Would have liked Barnet, Rovers or Exeter City (although I forgot if Exeter went through or not to be honest). 2-0 loss, get it over with and rip the plaster off quickly so we can concentrate on Villa.

1 hour ago, Kotsy said:

I actually prefer Pepsi...

1 hour ago, Kotsy said:

I prefer Pepsi!!!

1 hour ago, megansdad said:

For us I think there should be significant interest - new players and those out of the starting league XI given their chance to perform. Flint back in defence perhaps alongside Hegeler - interest a plenty..

Firmly with you on this one, fella.....those out of favour should be picked with an opportunity to show what they can do, maybe a look at a new or different formation, use sub/s properly if game needs a change. Desire, commitment, application.

6 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Firmly with you on this one, fella.....those out of favour should be picked with an opportunity to show what they can do, maybe a look at a new or different formation, use sub/s properly if game needs a change. Desire, commitment, application.

Désire , commitment,application , all words you wouldn't associate with City and early rounds of the Caribou cup .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Désire , commitment,application , all words you wouldn't associate with City and early rounds of the Caribou cup .

Imagine lifting this baby up on the podium at Wembley.  And poor old Scotty would have to "muck out" the trophy room as part of his kit man duties.

caribou.jpg

21 minutes ago, Malbec said:

Good write up Peg, enjoyed reading that.

I also prefer Pepsi to Coke and I also preferred Pepsi to Shirley but then again I do prefer Coke over Bacardi. Wait... what was the question again?

What day is it

Archived