IGNORED

Frank Fielding

Davefevs

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is he enjoying his best form since signing?  Is he approaching that age where Goalkeepers are nearing their best?

I'd say Yes. IMHO FF continues to improve and is a good keeper. Despite his kicking I struggle to see why he has so many detractors. Has seen off a few challenges for the No 1 spot since his injury comeback so fair play to him

You've got to love FF.

He's got his problems, sure, but he's been here long enough now to have earned all our respect and total admiration.

Surely he'll be remembered for many years as a top City keeper.  I hope he's still here for a couple of years yet.

He makes some good saves but his distribution constantly gives the opposition possession and means we go on the back foot again defending.

I really am fed up, look at Bentley for Brentford, quick distribution to their players lead to some great attacks. For us we have no threat on the break as Fielding is painfully slow and 9 times out of 10 kicks into touch. 

For me a new keeper is a must to progress. 

1 minute ago, Selred said:

He makes some good saves but his distribution constantly gives the opposition possession and means we go on the back foot again defending.

I really am fed up, look at Bentley for Brentford, quick distribution to their players lead to some great attacks. For us we have no threat on the break as Fielding is painfully slow and 9 times out of 10 kicks into touch. 

For me a new keeper is a must to progress. 

I've never been too sure about Frankie but he has made an excellant start to the season.

However, I agree completely with what you say about his distribution being too slow. Drives me mad when we get a goal kick, the two centre halves drop wide to receive but Frankie waits until the opposition are back in position before he kicks it out.

Maybe he is just very polite and sporting.

10 hours ago, smokey live said:

But so far this season he's improved his dealing of crosses. Dont think he's helped by being told to kick it to the wings

This, I dont get the constant bashing of his distribution, he's not Neuer. Also keepers are told to kick to the wings now to stop the ball coming straight back if one in the centre (more likely to go out for throws or keep possession)  its fine margins. 

Had a look yesterday at how he compares with other keepers in this league so far this season. 

I thought the two obvious qualities you want from your keeper is Distribution, and then the amount of saves per goal conceded.

Distribution Top 5

Bentley - 77%

Button - 73%

Gunn - 73%

Randolph -  73%

Wiedwald - 71%

Distribution Bottom 5

Bywater - 47%

Fielding - 45%

Johnstone - 44%

Steele - 41%

Etheridge - 21%

Average throughout the league stands at 55%

Saves Per Goal Top 5

Maxwell - 8

Blackman - 7

Button - 3.3

Bialkowski - 3.25

Fielding 3.2

Saves Per Goal Bottom 5

Carson - 1.5

Howard - 1.33

McGregor - 1.14

Archer - 0.67

Bentley - 0.56

Average throughout the league stands at 2.55

Granted its a small sample size only 4 games in so far, but it shows whist Bentley has the best distribution in the league he's also got the worst record for saves per goal. Etheridge at Cardiff, has the worst distribution by far, yet Cardiff sit top of the table, he's got an average of 3 saves per goal conceded. 

I do believe Fielding could be improved on eventually, but for now I think he's good enough for where we are, OOC in the summer so maybe time to have a look about then. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Had a look yesterday at how he compares with other keepers in this league so far this season. 

I thought the two obvious qualities you want from your keeper is Distribution, and then the amount of saves per goal conceded.

Distribution Top 5

Bentley - 77%

Button - 73%

Gunn - 73%

Randolph -  73%

Wiedwald - 71%

Distribution Bottom 5

Bywater - 47%

Fielding - 45%

Johnstone - 44%

Steele - 41%

Etheridge - 21%

Average throughout the league stands at 55%

Saves Per Goal Top 5

Maxwell - 8

Blackman - 7

Button - 3.3

Bialkowski - 3.25

Fielding 3.2

Saves Per Goal Bottom 5

Carson - 1.5

Howard - 1.33

McGregor - 1.14

Archer - 0.67

Bentley - 0.56

Average throughout the league stands at 2.55

Granted its a small sample size only 4 games in so far, but it shows whist Bentley has the best distribution in the league he's also got the worst record for saves per goal. Etheridge at Cardiff, has the worst distribution by far, yet Cardiff sit top of the table, he's got an average of 3 saves per goal conceded. 

I do believe Fielding could be improved on eventually, but for now I think he's good enough for where we are, OOC in the summer so maybe time to have a look about then. 

Thanks for,posting this --  interesting

Whats always difficult to factor , in the distribution is what each keeper is asked / expected to do

A keeper asked to,play short to,a,full back is likely to have a higher % than a keeper whose asked to go,long or drop it upfield iron a particular target

Intersting the swing in saves per goal / distribution

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Whats always difficult to factor , in the distribution is what each keeper is asked / expected to do

A keeper asked to,play short to,a,full back is likely to have a higher % than a keeper whose asked to go,long or drop it upfield iron a particular target

Yeah I always try and mention that every time a thread about FF comes up. Brentford/Fulham both play very similar styles of football. They have players always dropping in looking to collect the ball from the keeper when he's in posession.

What you also can factor in with us is that we only really have Diedhiou and Pack as players over 6ft tall when Fieldings taking goal kicks. 

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Not so sure. Against Millwall he was staying on his line when the ball was 4 yards out. I guess that's better than him coming and messing it up. But I expect a goalie to be coming for those.

I don't think it's an issue as long as the defence know that he won't come off his line, so they are aware that they have to deal with it. The problem arises if they don't know what he's going to do, that was certainly an issue when Giefer came into the side last year. 

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Not so sure. Against Millwall he was staying on his line when the ball was 4 yards out. I guess that's better than him coming and messing it up. But I expect a goalie to be coming for those.

Against Millwall, we dealt with approximately 14,000 corners without conceding so either he's getting better or he's got the CB covering for him better. 

I've always liked Fielding and I agree he's had a good season so far. During his time with us he's seen off challengers more than any other City keeper I can remember. My only real gripe is his distribution. Why so many of those long kicks towards Bryan or Pisano on the touchline that invariably go out for a throw-in? Presumably kicking towards the touchline is done under instruction as part of the game-plan? Fair enough in games when it's effective, but against Millwall it was painful to watch.

Anyway, he's a decent keeper in my opinion and I don't think replacing him is a priority,  alhough he does need good competition.

23 hours ago, cityboy said:

Not sure what he was doing for Watford's second goal last night...

He reminds me of Steve Phillips; decent shot stopper, but not much else sadly. Still a position of need imo.

not alot he could do, the header back across was criminal and should of been dealt with by the defense

FF is a good shot stopper and in the games so far this season has been outstanding IMO. 

At Brentford he would of been my MOM.

As far as his distribution is concerned it is always shocking and worrying, but he is stopping goals that previously i don't think he would of nor do i think others would stop.

The ref at Brentford even checked the ball after 2 of his distributions to make sure it wasn't flat. 

Yes he has CB's coming in and hoofing and headbutting the ball out,  but so far it has been working to our favor. 

He even had a shot on target at Watford :-) 

In his absence last season i was a massive ROD fan and was sad to loose him.

I don't think replacing FF is a priority for us this year.

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:31, BobBobSuperBob said:

Its related to turn overs ..

In field turn overs result in more shots on goal. Teams are more likely to concede a goal from a turn over than the opposition being in possession = Its better to kick the ball out of play than give it back in field = Don't lose it all.

In the EPL Bravos short distribution game and his consistently high passing ratio of 75 - 85% was top of the EPL Keepers or  always close to that standard. His long game turned over possession 92% of the time, he was the worst in the EPL by nearly 20% 

But his short game meant far less shots on Man City's goal via turned over possession.

He also had a high intervention (sweeping) rate outside the box - Less shots on goal.

Played outside the box significantly - Less shots on goal.

Bravos shop stopping was the worst in the division. Rubbish. Worse than Championship Fielding ... But his footskills outweighed his ability with his hands.

Keepers being good footballers - Distributers v stop shots are becoming increasingly common.

In FA goalkeeping courses now it is emphasised that Keeping = Possession of the ball and the Keeper will use his feet far more than his hands. In all FA coaching it is emphasised that Keepers should be included in drills as outfield players.

The above is where Keeping has gone, and will stay unless there are changes in the back pass and offside rules.

Archived