IGNORED

Bravo to Tinnion

MarkRed!

Well that was a morale boosting victory over a steady premier league team last night! 

Perhaps we can now see the fruits of our youth set up starting to pay dividends. Full credit must go to LJ for giving youth a chance when others have not. Also a special mention must go to Brian Tinnion. It could never have been easy taking the City manager's job and then being sacked from a club that you "love'. I shall never forget that Swansea game and his dejection at the end of it was a real low point for me because he plainly cared about the club and was trying to weed out the bad apples we had in the dressing room. To come back says it all about how much he cares about the club and his character. To take a role lower down the structure tells you all you need to know about his passion for the game and for City.

In Brian we have a club legend, a top player at our level and also someone who appears to have shaken up our youth set up with the right mentality being put in to those players going into it. It seems that our Academy is now looking to produce an end product with the players, which criminally has not been the case (at least on a consistent basis).  McClouskey looks a real threat and is being given league exposure, Vyner had a good spell on loan, Morrell looks a player, O'Leary is getting game time as well and Hinds has plainly made the step up.  I think we are now seeing some really good young players who could step into the first 11 - Vyner, Kelly and Hinds could all make a case IMO.  

Last night is clearly testament to the work done within the club (which is to be applauded) but it can be no coincidence that Brian is there. I for one, extend my praise for him and long may it continue. 

Here's hoping this is the next little wave of young players coming through as we haven't had anyone since Bryan/Reid? Vyner has only really made a handful of appearances in a couple of years.

Also, worth mentioning Hinds is not an Academy product as such; he was signed from Luton Town in January. Still, that looks a great spot by Tinman.

I am completely on board with Tinnion being head of u-23 recruitment and his approach to sending our youngsters out on loan to get experience early in terms of 'men's football'. Nothing wrong with this approach at all.

It's nice to see how closely Tins follows the players who go out on loan, if you look at his twitter he's always at a game and offering encouragement.

I've no idea what he's like as a coach but I would have thought a few years in Spain doing that sort of role was a great experience, they do things properly over there.

I'm looking forward to seeing some real footballers come through rather than merely athletes.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Here's hoping this is the next little wave of young players coming through as we haven't had anyone since Bryan/Reid? Vyner has only really made a handful of appearances in a couple of years.

Also, worth mentioning Hinds is not an Academy product as such; he was signed from Luton Town in January. Still, that looks a great spot by Tinman.

I am completely on board with Tinnion being head of u-23 recruitment and his approach to sending our youngsters out on loan to get experience early in terms of 'men's football'. Nothing wrong with this approach at all.

Totally agreed. There is nothing better than seeing "your own" players get into the first team and I feel that since Tinnion has been in position we are seeing a real difference in approach and mentality. Long may it continue! We can all be critical of the club but this is one area where I feel there is definite improvement and reason for optimism. The approach of LJ must also be recognised because we have had plenty of managers who have not given youth a chance - to our long term and financial detriment. Would rather have players like Vyner coming through and being given a proper chance than mercenaries like Matthews. It is now up to our young players to grab the chance.... well done to all IMO! 

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

The proof is in the pudding ....we got to play these young uns , they are good enough, experience will come with playing 

Absolutely. Reason to be positive which is not always the case with all things BCFC.  Long may it continue. 

I agree with your sentiments about Tinnion and our youth setup, but I am still not sure about the path to the first team. We continue to bring in young players as part of the development squad, and outside of cup games (where all teams tend to do the same thing) I don't see our kid's getting much of a look in any time soon. Let's hope we can get the balance right and have a team brimming with our own talent some time in the future.

5 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Absolutely. Reason to be positive which is not always the case with all things BCFC.  Long may it continue. 

I would love this batch of youngsters to come through . Difficult for LJ unless they are that good they pick themselves. 

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

I would love this batch of youngsters to come through . Difficult for LJ unless they are that good they pick themselves. 

Agreed. Good players take there chances when given the opportunity and I think there is enough evidence to say that finally, we have a core group of young players who will do that and certainly will put pressure on the starting players. That is precisely the problem we want LJ to have and it also means we can save £ in the transfer market. If the youth system is done properly it plainly has rewards. Maybe we are now seeing this for the first time in a long while. Hence, credit to Tinnion for helping to change the mentality. COYR!

Concur with everything been said in the OP...Tinman has been a revelation in our development set up.

However...correct me if I'm wrong.

But as far as I last knew, he was no longer in charge of U23 recruitment? I thought MA, LJ and the rest of the coaching staff had taken over that role?

Tinman, is now overlooking the players that are out on loan. Sorting them out...watching them, and reporting back to the club on their progress.

That was what I've been led to believe...maybe it's different again?

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Concur with everything been said in the OP...Tinman has been a revelation in our development set up.

But as far as I last knew, he was no longer in charge of U23 recruitment? I thought MA, LJ and the rest of the coaching staff had taken over that role?

Tinman, is now overlooking the players that are out on loan. Sorting them out...watching them, and reporting back to the club on their progress.

Hard to know exactly what his present role is, in truth.

Clearly has some responsibility for those who are out on loan, but he also went to Sweden to watch a player (probably Eliasson) a month or so ago.

Completely agree with the OP's sentiments but would be really good to have some clarity with regard to the scouting set up..

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Head of u-23 recruitment and loans manager based at Failand last I heard, as of a couple of weeks ago.

Can't remember the exact position, but there was an interview on the main site a little while ago (before pre season started I think), which was about 10-15 mins long with the man himself. 

He did say that he was in charge of sending the kids out on loan and getting them into "men's football". Spoke very highly of a few of the young lads, especially McColusky.

If you haven't seen the video, you should watch it, it's really interesting and definitely worth watching. I've just tried to find it but can't, and the main site isn't co-operating on my phone for some reason, and I need to get back to work - will check at home later if nobody else has found it by then. I'm sure that somebody originally linked it on a topic on here as well though, so somebody else may be able to find it before I can.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Can't remember the exact position, but there was an interview on the main site a little while ago (before pre season started I think), which was about 10-15 mins long with the man himself. 

He did say that he was in charge of sending the kids out on loan and getting them into "men's football". Spoke very highly of a few of the young lads, especially McColusky.

If you haven't seen the video, you should watch it, it's really interesting and definitely worth watching. I've just tried to find it but can't, and the main site isn't co-operating on my phone for some reason, and I need to get back to work - will check at home later if nobody else has found it by then. I'm sure that somebody originally linked it on a topic on here as well though, so somebody else may be able to find it before I can.

Is it this one Taz ?

https://youtu.be/hmNH5Od0x-Q

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

I agree with your sentiments about Tinnion and our youth setup, but I am still not sure about the path to the first team. We continue to bring in young players as part of the development squad, and outside of cup games (where all teams tend to do the same thing) I don't see our kid's getting much of a look in any time soon. Let's hope we can get the balance right and have a team brimming with our own talent some time in the future.

The major block for young talent getting game time in the first team is the fact that we continually seem to be in crisis regarding league position. 

A comfortable mid table position would allow us to give them substitute time and then whole games as and when they are considered ready for the big step up.

Hansen, laughingly about Man U, said you don't win titles with kids but you also don't fight relegation battles with young and inexperienced Academy boys.

That is the biggest failing for you know who since he's been here and last night needs to be replicated as often as we possibly can. There are some very talented members of our Academy who need to be tested at the next level, otherwise they will leave for peanuts and possibly never fulfil their potential.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

That's correct. He confirmed that in the video (now posted on this thread), Head of Academy Recruitment is Damian Butt, U23 manager Luke Williams etc. No mention of Brian on the Acadamy/U23 staff list on the OS.

He said (in the interview) that after a chat with the manager in the summer his role has changed to the one you describe. It sounded to me like he's been gently pushed aside by LJ or whoever decides these things. Arranging - what is it half a dozen loans? - and then watching their matches, and doing a bit of scouting.............................sounds less of a role then Head of Youth Recruitment IMO ?

CR

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

That's correct. He confirmed that in the video (now posted on this thread), Head of Academy Recruitment is Damian Butt, U23 manager Luke Williams etc. No mention of Brian on the Acadamy/U23 staff list on the OS.

He said (in the interview) that after a chat with the manager in the summer his role has changed to the one you describe. It sounded to me like he's been gently pushed aside by LJ or whoever decides these things. Arranging - what is it half a dozen loans? - and then watching their matches, and doing a bit of scouting.............................sounds less of a role then Head of Youth Recruitment IMO ?

CR

That's how I understood it.

Basically asked for a budget and to buy players, based on his judgement, and then judged on that. Keep or remove scenario.

Denied and given a sideways move.

Open to correction, but that's what I've understood.

I think the role Tinnion has is our version of Eddie Newton at Chelsea, albeit on a smaller scale.

Both Newton and Tinns manage the loans. Now it may be only 6 or 7 here but it's a heck of a job if you do it properly - due dilligence on the club going to, watching (whether live or on tape) every game the players involved in and acting as the link between the player and BCFC. Also has to be forensically familiar with academy players not on loan so he  can see who's ready for a loan and at what level.

IMO it's almost as important as academy manager - Tinns feedback will be vital in deciding if the loan is meeting its needs, and it's the loan as opposed to the U23 games that will determine if a lot of the youngsters are close to the first team.

If Chelsea think a role like this is vital, then why shouldn't BCFC? We all moan about it when we're seen as not running things properly - to me having the right person in this role is spot on.

6 hours ago, Coin-op said:

It's quite nice watching us turn into a more professional club!  Doesn't feel like it is all made up anymore.  I used to look at Southampton, etc with envy. 

Exactly that! I feel so proud of this club, amazing feeling.

Archived