IGNORED

Jonathan Kisolokele Leko - (season long loan)

Milan djurichimovic

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

As I understand it both Eliasson and Leko are dual footed. I would hope they are both ahead of O'Dowda otherwise some of us are gonna be questioning Johnson's sanity. Or maybe they have already.

I agree with this maybe ODowda is going out on loan, he hasn't achieved much but at least has been given chances unlike Engvall and Magnússon, who knows?.

Sounds like a pretty exciting signing. I do wonder if rather than the end of Eliasson or O'Dowda getting regular games, this is the end of Reid as a striker? Having Pato/Leko/Eliasson/O'Dowda able to all play around and off Diedhiou attacking between full back and centre half could be very exciting. If we went to a 433 or even a 343, Bobby good drop back into midfield and be the guy running into space from deep. Neither Leko not Eliasson seem to be ideal wingers for a 442 and combined with the narrower pitch, I think Johnson probably wants to try and change formation a little. It'd be a bold move to switch the position of your most productive striker, but long term I'm not sure Bobby is going to thrive there anyway I wouldn't mind seeing;

Fielding

Pisano-----Wright----Baker----Bryan

----Reid-----Hegeler-----MP/JB/KS

----Eliasson--Diedhiou---Leko

or play Ried further forward, or Paterson or Taylor playing in a forward position. The wide forwards attack the box, while the fullbacks push up, Hegs drops in as a 'German sweeper' and we basically play 343 while attacking 

3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Sounds like a pretty exciting signing. I do wonder if rather than the end of Eliasson or O'Dowda getting regular games, this is the end of Reid as a striker? Having Pato/Leko/Eliasson/O'Dowda able to all play around and off Diedhiou attacking between full back and centre half could be very exciting. If we went to a 433 or even a 343, Bobby good drop back into midfield and be the guy running into space from deep. Neither Leko not Eliasson seem to be ideal wingers for a 442 and combined with the narrower pitch, I think Johnson probably wants to try and change formation a little. It'd be a bold move to switch the position of your most productive striker, but long term I'm not sure Bobby is going to thrive there anyway I wouldn't mind seeing;

Fielding

or play Ried further forward, or Paterson or Taylor playing in a forward position. The wide forwards attack the box, while the fullbacks push up, Hegs drops in as a 'German sweeper' and we basically play 343 while attacking 

We seem to have a lot more options for formations . But I think Bobby has finally found his position. We need to up our away form. And with the pace and options this should happen. Once the new players are familiar with what is needed 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

We seem to have a lot more options for formations . But I think Bobby has finally found his position. We need to up our away form. And with the pace and options this should happen. Once the new players are familiar with what is needed 

I just hope LJ starts with a recognised winger. We are far too narrow with JB and JP. 

11 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Fielding

Considering Bobby is scoring goals for fun at the moment, i'd hope Johnson keeps him where he is!

6 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

I just hope LJ starts with a recognised winger. We are far too narrow with JB and JP. 

Agree . I think that's why we're not seeing the best of famara yet. We need someone getting those crosses in quickly to him . With quality on them . On the flip side we look better defensively. LJ has to get the balance right 

A squad us a modern day necessity and also a modern day conundrum. 

7 subs is part of that evil. Why not make it 4, and make the manager think about how he covers the eleven. It's too easy to pick 1GK, 2D, 2M and 2Fs. That in turn bloats your squad. 

I think I've gone away from trying to pick a starting eleven and now look on it as who's playing well, who's fit, who needs a kick up the backside etc. 

I would like to think that LJ has settled on a 442. Even that is fairly fluid, Reid dropping back to make it a pointed 4 when we haven't got the ball. 

We now have 3 genuine wide men and if you include Brownhill and Paterson that makes 5 who can play slightly different variants. Probably means the side might get picked for each match within reason. 

We finally have a well balanced squad and maybe we will start to see the benefits of being able to keep a starting eleven that is sharp and in form. I think the cup games have shown LJ that he has capable replacements. 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

That is another plus point on this signing for me...sorry if people don't agree but I genuinely do not know what o'dowda does or has offered us.

Can see O'Dowda going out on loan. He really isn't good enough for the Champ at the moment. Never scores, rarely assists (can only think of one v Watford) never wins a penalty. 

2 hours ago, jayjay said:

If we require width why did Johnson narrow the pitch? As I understand, it cannot now be altered.

I don't have the exact new width but it appears to have been changed from 75 yards to 74 yards. A tiny alteration that I suspect will not make much difference to us or any opposition.

I wonder if it's been altered, without trundling through all the other clubs data,to bring us more in line with clubs who have pitches narrower than 75yds which is the widest allowed (I think). If so, it's maybe, to help us more in away games than home games.

3 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Can see O'Dowda going out on loan. He really isn't good enough for the Champ at the moment. Never scores, never assists, never wins a penalty. 

Apart when he does assist and does win a penalty, and he won't be going out on loan you are right again. People are obsessed with the starting 11, the game has moved on that over the last few years, on a match day it's a 14 from 17 game and over the season it is a 24 (at least). What Johnson and the rest of the coaching team want is for competition to improve the consistency of some of these players. Every player in this team knows that there is at least one ready made replacement for them sitting in the wings, each with their own attributes.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Apart when he does assist and does win a penalty, and he won't be going out on loan you are right again. People are obsessed with the starting 11, the game has moved on that over the last few years, on a match day it's a 14 from 17 game and over the season it is a 24 (at least). What Johnson and the rest of the coaching team want is for competition to improve the consistency of some of these players. Every player in this team knows that there is at least one ready made replacement for them sitting in the wings, each with their own attributes.

And plenty of cover for the inevitable injuries and suspensions. We would be stupid to have only 18 or 19 outfield players.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with this maybe ODowda is going out on loan, he hasn't achieved much but at least has been given chances unlike Engvall and Magnússon, who knows?.

Bit of a stretch to say Magnússon hasn't been given chances. He was first choice until Wright arrived.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bit of a stretch to say Magnússon hasn't been given chances. He was first choice until Wright arrived.

Well here is my evidence for the treatment of Magnússon.

28 games quite a few from the bench, replaced by Wright but was he anymore culpable than Flint for our poor run of results? or Wright after his signing?, bizarrely singled out publicly by LJ after a 5-0 defeat at Preston having come on as a sub at 3-0, never used once as a left back last season by LJ (when that position had become an undoubted problem) but now apparently LJ believes him to be an accomplished left back and some think that this 24 year old international is one for the future?.

Bottom line for me if LJ has made an expensive error in judgement over his signing put your hands up shift him on and move on and the same with Engvall.

38 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Exactly...........It's all about the squad, and competition for your place.  If each player is aware that if their performance level drops, then a replacement  is waiting on the bench, they will need to up their game consistently?  The squad is hopefully young and hungry for success. And of course there will be injuries, losses of form and tactical changes, so a big squad is absolutely essential.  Its a 20 - 24 player team ethic if we want to get into the top 6?

10 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Fielding

Pisano-----Wright----Baker----Kelly

----Brownhill-----Pack/Smith----Bryan

----Eliasson-----Leko

Diedhiou

Defense midfield 3 (we need to defend), potential to attack, let the 3 boys up top try to score.

Would be intrigued to see that team in action. Loads of pace and athleticism.

Kelly is also a good athlete and I'd like to see Joe in midfield again.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

As I understand it both Eliasson and Leko are dual footed. I would hope they are both ahead of O'Dowda otherwise some of us are gonna be questioning Johnson's sanity. Or maybe they have already.

Based on this You Tube footage Leko is very much right footed.

48 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Fielding

Pisano-----Wright----Baker----Kelly

----Brownhill-----Pack/Smith----Bryan

----Eliasson/Leko-----Elisson/Leko

Diedhiou

Defense midfield 3 (we need to defend), potential to attack, let the 3 boys up top try to score.

Bobby Reid not scoring enough for you then?

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Listening to others - sounds an exciting signing

Slurprised , considering how we play cards close to our chest that LJ tells fans about this in Park Street !!! :blink:

No harm done this time around thankfully :thumbsup:

Welcome Jonathan -

RIP IT UP  :city:

slurprised been on the cider bob?

3 hours ago, Baggie said:

Hello, Albion fan here. Felt compelled to pass comment on the news that Leko has joined Bristol City on loan.

I haven't been so excited about a player at the Albion since we signed Odemwingie and before him, Kanu. He really gets you out of your seat (a rarity with a Pulis team :D). This kid has incredible raw talent and great pace. When he made his league debut v West Ham, he left Aaron Cresswell on his backside twice. The highlights video earlier in this thread really does show what he's all about. But that was 18 months ago. Since then, he has been used sparingly but sadly he doesn't seem to have improved much in that time, so the fans think that a loan deal is ideal for both Leko and the club. Hopefully, he'll re-build his confidence and most importantly, improve his decision making (he has a tendency to hold onto the ball a bit too long when he has a team-mate in a better position). 

Really hoping he does a good job at City and I'll be taking great interest in your matches now (other than when you're playing the V***a or the Dingles). 

thanks for that but why other than?

4 hours ago, Cider red said:

we have a lot of wide players now, surely we will play 4 3 3 with Reid deidhou leko/eliasdon/pato up top

Reid is best through the middle. I suspect it is more likely to be a 4-2-3-1 with Reid as the CAM and Deidhou up top, supported by the wing options (O'Dowda, Eliason, Leko, Pato) and the midfield base of 2 from O'Neil, Smith, Pack and Brownhill. Woodrow and replace Deidhou and Taylor Reid if needed. Decent set up. Defence is no issue, Pissano, Bryan (if he keeps up this form), Flint, Baker, Wright, Kelly and Vyner is a top half back four.

Archived