IGNORED

Nelson's Column

SARJ

Bristol has appeared in the news a lot lately, with the Colston Hall re-branding being linked to the do-gooders in London now trying to get Nelson's Column in London taken down, on the account that he was a 'white supremacist'.

The person raising the grievance is some unheard of half British, half Ghanaian author. It seems that she's using today's values of multi-culturalism to attack historical characters of an 17th/18th Century mindset.

For me personally, the monument was built to celebrate Nelson's stunning victories, not to celebrate his views on race. The same as various Colston monuments were built to celebrate all he did for the City of Bristol, not to celebrate the fact he was a slave trader. In that line of thinking, along with the fact that I'm fed up of British history constantly being attacked, the landmark should remain.

He's a British military and maritime hero and if it wasn't for Nelson, we could all be speaking some form of French right now.

I joked ages ago that they should take down the Washington and Lincoln monuments in America and rename all the roads, buildings etc in light of their slave ownership days. - also change the faces on the notes too. - hilariously, there are some out there who are calling for these to be taken down - clowns.

They can also pull down Nelson Mandela's statue in London for the murders he committed to innocent South African's (we had this discussion on here years ago when he died, i was in a minority about him, the only thing he proved was that the prison system worked - google Church Street Pretoria)

I'd also pull down the Colosseum in Rome and the Pyramids in Egypt. There was new evidence that it wasn't "all" built by slaves, some were paid, but as it wasn't the accepted minimum wage and they were built for people that had slaves, then they too should be taken down.

what else..... what else...

Taj Mahal - built by Shah Jahan, he was a nasty piece of work, that can go. 

What is left of the Great Wall of China. Incredibly bigoted of the Chinese to build a wall to protect their citizens from neighbouring invaders. #trumpesque

Roman Baths in Bath city center - they can definitely be concreted over.

#triggered

Give DJ Trevor Nelson a knighthood, make him a Lord and tell the world that Nelsons column has been rededicated to him...

That should f#@* the idiots up, what could they do then?

While we can all celebrate another great Victory for the real Lord Nelson! :) 

We could always try saying that the Colston statue represents a Welsh coal-miner named Stan (but some fool misspelt the name -too late to change it now though boyo ! )

5 hours ago, SARJ said:

Bristol has appeared in the news a lot lately, with the Colston Hall re-branding being linked to the do-gooders in London now trying to get Nelson's Column in London taken down, on the account that he was a 'white supremacist'.

The person raising the grievance is some unheard of half British, half Ghanaian author. It seems that she's using today's values of multi-culturalism to attack historical characters of an 17th/18th Century mindset.

For me personally, the monument was built to celebrate Nelson's stunning victories, not to celebrate his views on race. The same as various Colston monuments were built to celebrate all he did for the City of Bristol, not to celebrate the fact he was a slave trader. In that line of thinking, along with the fact that I'm fed up of British history constantly being attacked, the landmark should remain.

He's a British military and maritime hero and if it wasn't for Nelson, we could all be speaking some form of French right now.

Totally agree with this, how can anyone compare how life was 300 years ago to how it is now.

A few month's back, I was sat quietly in a bar, waiting for the OH, when I was approached to sign the petition to change the name of the Colston Hall, but refused which got me a few verbal's. Felt like I wanted to rant back, but very aware that a wrong phrase could land me in the pooh, so I shut up and ignored them. They obviously felt they could embarrass me and kept on with some loud comments about ignorance, as ignoring them wasn't working, I decided to engage and offered to have a drink with them to discuss our points of view. 

I asked what they wanted and one of the first orders was a Jack Daniels and Coke! The drink where the recipe for sour mash and the distillery was (very probably) stolen from a slave by his master and the soft drink which was invented by a confederate colonel..... Oh the irony and a finally a peaceful pint!

11 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Also one other comment that I friend of mine mentioned. 

Why were these statues not offensive to the antifa gimps when Obama was president?? 

So many abbreviations and things nowadays they become confusing sometimes so I looked up .. antifa ..

This is what I discovered .. interesting :) 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=antifa

On 24/08/2017 at 17:56, WhistleHappy said:

Give DJ Trevor Nelson a knighthood, make him a Lord and tell the world that Nelsons column has been rededicated to him...

That should f#@* the idiots up, what could they do then?

While we can all celebrate another great Victory for the real Lord Nelson! :) 

IMG_0792.JPG

To quote the man himself;

To serve my King and destroy the French, I consider as the great order of all

...down with the damned French villains! My blood boils at the name of a Frenchman! Down, down with the French!

Buonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year.

I'd say we celebrate him for the right reasons!!

On 27/08/2017 at 16:02, WhistleHappy said:

So many abbreviations and things nowadays they become confusing sometimes so I looked up .. antifa ..

This is what I discovered .. interesting :) 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=antifa

Despite waving the Hammer and Sickle, I actually don't believe they're true Communists. They are more likely now the thuggish militant wing of neo liberalism. And are also, total, utter ****s; with the full backing of the media behind them.

Although dare I say it, perhaps some are waking up to these scumbags:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/28/black-clad-antifa-attack-right-wing-demonstrators-in-berkeley/?utm_term=.946d81abce6b

Archived