IGNORED

England Squad

BCFC Rich

Here it is: 

Goalkeepers

Jack Butland (Stoke City), Joe Hart (West Ham United, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Jordan Pickford (Everton).

Defenders

Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham United), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders

Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards

Jermain Defoe (AFC Bournemouth), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

A few ne faces in there, be interesting to see who gets a game. For me it would probably make sense to give at least give Pickford some game time against Malta.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Alli aside, our midfield right now is scarily average.

Wasn't that long ago Paul Scholes couldn't get into the England starting 11! 

Agreed full of people who can do a job on their day, but there is no one in there that'd scare half decent opposition.

1 minute ago, RichardEdd said:

Agreed full of people who can do a job on their day, but there is no one in there that'd scare half decent opposition.

Hopefully the likes of Ward-Prowse will start getting full caps soon enough. A good player.

Alli is genuinely top class and can improve further - shame he wasn't born 15 years earlier as he'd have added to those strong 2004/06 squads!

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hopefully the likes of Ward-Prowse will start getting full caps soon enough. A good player.

Alli is genuinely top class and can improve further - shame he wasn't born 15 years earlier as he'd have added to those strong 2004/06 squads!

Yeah the strong squads that still couldn't get past a quarter final stage ! 

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A real shame, 04 in particular I felt that squad should've been challenging to win the tournament.

I was lucky enough to go to euro 2004 and simply if Rooney would have stayed fit ( ankle I think) we would have won the cup I'm sure! To think Greece won it that year as well makes me more angry !!

7 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

Butland

Trippier           Keane                Smalling            Walker

Dier               Henderson

Oxlade                       Ali                       Sterling

Kane

I probably have an LB at left back rather than Walker and Pickford in goal. I think we should be playing our back up keepers (particularly as both could be challenging for no. 1 spot) in competitive games and he is as yet uncapped. But otherwise, I'd be happy with that team all things considered. 

That is a international side, oh my lord, have we really sunk this far down the international pecking order.  That is truly miserable bunch of average Premier league footballers with a couple of above average contenders.... International class maybe 2, maybe 3, and even then bang average internationals.

Ali aside, there is nothing there whatsoever.  Maybe Kane

15 minutes ago, TRL said:

That is a international side, oh my lord, have we really sunk this far down the international pecking order.  That is truly miserable bunch of average Premier league footballers with a couple of above average contenders.... International class maybe 2, maybe 3, and even then bang average internationals.

Depressing Isn't it. But all is not lost, if a manager can get them working there socks off and playing for each other we have seen this new trend in tournaments that nations without immensely technical ability can prosper, Wales being the perfect example. We have to now truly admitt as a nation we are not world beaters or genuine contenders anymore and play to our strengths, we might have a better chance than we think with this sort of mentality.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Depressing Isn't it. But all is not lost, if a manager can get them working there socks off and playing for each other we have seen this new trend in tournaments that nations without immensely technical ability can prosper, Wales being the perfect example. We have to now truly admitt as a nation we are not world beaters or genuine contenders anymore and play to our strengths, we might have a better chance than we think with this sort of mentality.

Unfortunately I think the players believe the hype.  And once you are made for life for being average, average is all you are going to be.  The only thing that may work in their favour is the press for once may not big this group up, so expectations will lessen.  But I don't see any progress being made.

It seems we are the only team (along with the other home nations) that seem to be going backwards in Europe.

Its about time our players left easy street, went abroad and got a footballing education and learned the footballing basics.  They need proper schooling of the game, something they are never going to get playing in England.

6 minutes ago, TRL said:

Unfortunately I think the players believe the hype.  And once you are made for life for being average, average is all you are going to be.  The only thing that may work in their favour is the press for once may not big this group up, so expectations will lessen.  But I don't see any progress being made.

It seems we are the only team (along with the other home nations) that seem to be going backwards in Europe.

Its about time our players left easy street, went abroad and got a footballing education and learned the footballing basics.  They need proper schooling of the game, something they are never going to get playing in England.

Spot on mate. I've been calling for our players to go abroad for years and years. Unfortunately the premier league is the be all and end all in this country and nothing else seems to matter. I remember the bemused posts on here when Beskitas were supposedly in for Tammy for a season loan, what a move that would have been for the lad.. a great education and experience for him. Is it no coincidence that every other top nation has players dotted all over Europe yet we have barely any? Says something to me that.

42 minutes ago, TRL said:

Kane is a real enigma to me as I wouldn't pay the entrance money to watch him but his goalscoring stats are nothing short of phenomenal 

Spurs - 78 Goals 103 Games (92 from 137 inc loans)

Eng - 8 Goals 19 Games

2 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

Kane is a real enigma to me as I wouldn't pay the entrance money to watch him but his goalscoring stats are nothing short of phenomenal 

Spurs - 78 Goals 103 Games (92 from 137 inc loans)

Eng - 8 Goals 19 Games

My thoughts as well. Goal scorer without doubt.. Good footballer not bad but not so pleasing on the eye.  Very good at what he's paid to do though

15 minutes ago, bris red said:

Spot on mate. I've been calling for our players to go abroad for years and years. Unfortunately the premier league is the be all and end all in this country and nothing else seems to matter. I remember the bemused posts on here when Beskitas were supposedly in for Tammy for a season loan, what a move that would have been for the lad.. a great education and experience for him. Is it no coincidence that every other top nation has players dotted all over Europe yet we have barely any? Says something to me that.

Exactly my thoughts. He will learn little at Swansea. Turkey could/would have made him. Technically he would have learned a load and unfortunately mentally he would ha e grown massively or crumbled being a black player in Turkey.

3 hours ago, JammyOne said:

Butland

Trippier           Keane                Smalling            Walker

Dier               Henderson

Oxlade                       Ali                       Sterling

Kane

Walker at left back?? Why not Bertrand?

3 hours ago, TRL said:

Really? Holland got 3rd place in 2014 and number 1 in the world at one point, then failed to qualify for the euros.

Italy have gone out at the group stages at the last two world cups, admittedly finished runners up in the euros in between.

id call those 2 as big if not bigger failings than us when you consider the quality of players they've had available - arguably you'd take most of their players over ours on paper.

in the meantime, we have winners and finalists in all the youth age groups this summer - id say we are finally looking to move in the right direction.

Urgh. Names like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Livermore, Lingard and Welbeck just scream average and unexciting. Excited to see how Chalobah does as he was very close to starting for Chelsea at one point and captained the U21s for a while. Also Butland MUST now start ahead of Joe Hart.

9 hours ago, TRL said:

Always believed this! I'd much prefer clubs to send their youth out on loan abroad. I just think it creates so much more character for the individual. Learn a new language(ish), different culture of football mentality. So much can be gained by resisting the urge to just loan them to a team a league or so below. 

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Really? Holland got 3rd place in 2014 and number 1 in the world at one point, then failed to qualify for the euros.

Italy have gone out at the group stages at the last two world cups, admittedly finished runners up in the euros in between.

id call those 2 as big if not bigger failings than us when you consider the quality of players they've had available - arguably you'd take most of their players over ours on paper.

in the meantime, we have winners and finalists in all the youth age groups this summer - id say we are finally looking to move in the right direction.

I think you answered you own question there,  those teams have recent success, which they may not have followed up on, but could possibly follow up on.  Where as we have been slowly degrading since 1996

Bilge is the best word I can think of to sum up England compared to the countries you have suggested, utter bilge when you consider the population of the Netherlands, and the footballers they produce.  Now compare the footballing ability, and technique of players from these countries compare to the the technique of UK players...  Pace and power which is still being heralded in the UK leagues, and hopefully see where i think the problem lays when I say we have been going backwards in footballing ability for years.

Archived