IGNORED

Changes for the Villa game?

BCFC_Josh

Its a tough one to call,

if Flint is staying should he start?  

Diedhou isn't really doing it (despite really trying)

Central midfield, are Pack and Smith the best pairing?

Right and left midfield - do we have enough pace?

Lots of questions, but not likely to see too many changes from the Millwall game.

Fielding

Pisano

Wright

Baker

Bryan

Paterson

Smith

Pack

Brownhill

Reid

Diedhou or Woodrow (or a real punt with Hinds)

subs

Lucic

Magnússon

O Neill

O dowda

Eliasson

Diedhou or Woodrow

Hegeler

Tough for Hinds not even making the bench and what about Taylor?

We seem to have too many players, most of them of similar ability.  Arguably Kelly should get his chance, but might have to wait for Bryan to leave or get injured.

After Tuesday I would give Eliasson or O'Dowda a start - preferably the former as his goal and O'Dowda's miss probably has him more buzzed to put another shift in.

Paterson is the one to drop, I like him a lot but he's what American sports journalists call a 'tweener' - a player who can play two positions (in his case wide or through the middle) but his problem is he doesn't consistently do one very well, he's certainly not an out and out winger and comes inside a lot.

Personally I'd have Brownhill tuck in and make a three in central midfield - since one consistent feature, even at Watford, is being overrun in central midfield - and then have one out and out winger pushed up and hanging on a defenders shoulder. Along with Reid that will cause problems for a back line.

Don't ask me about Diedhiou - you can't drop a £5m man yet and someone needs to abuse John Terry. I don't think it's time yet to change that position and no way you go for Woodrow to start this quickly.

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

I think Diedhiou may be carrying an injury, could be wrong.

Whatever, it will take him a few more games to get fully used to the tempo - same for Pisano.

This is a good game for City, a really good test and I'm looking forward to it :chant6ez:

Yeah, in the Johnson  interview he said one of the side from Tuesday was injured and would not be in the squad Tomorrow night.

Fair chance it's Diedhiou.  Looks like it will be a start for our new loan striker.

7 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Agree Diedhou isn't doing it.  I'm concerned that such a big investment isn't going to pay off.  Saying that, I still say we're gonna stuff the Villa.

It's way to early to write him off ( give it another day or two ) .

It has been a real baptism of fire for the lad . He needs to settle in .

I would think about starting Woodrow and putting Fammy on the bench to come on , ideally at the 70 minute mark.

I would put either Pato or Brownhill on the bench as I don't like them both in the team as they are too hit and miss .

Neither is consistent enough yet and we can't afford two out of the eleven playing below par .

I'd be tempted to start Eliassen in place of one of these two.

7 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Injury aside i dont think there will be any changes from the Millwall starting 11.

I'd hope not. By all accounts we were dire against millwall.

I can't see the point of fielding an 'alternative' line-up in the cup which performs well, but then just resorting to an underperforming league line-up. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It's way to early to write him off ( give it another day or two ) .

It has been a real baptism of fire for the lad . He needs to settle in .

I would think about starting Woodrow and putting Fammy on the bench to come on , ideally at the 70 minute mark.

I would put either Pato or Brownhill on the bench as I don't like them both in the team as they are too hit and miss .

Neither is consistent enough yet and we can't afford two out of the eleven playing below par .

I'd be tempted to start Eliassen in place of one of these two.

Indeed.  Time to adjust needed.  I'm sure he'll come good.  It's just such a large fee. But I suppose not by today's standards.

I'd keep Fam up front. He's more likely to knock the visiting centre-halves off their stride for power while Reid should be able to do them for skill. Eliason should be given a start, too, but any mention of O'Dowdy is a nonsense. Lucky to be on the bench, except he's one of the few out-and-out wide players we have. £1m my arse. Flint on the bench at best, but there's no need for him to be as Magnússon should occupy that seat. Flint's frozen out, for now at least, for me. Others have overtaken him as a result of his agent turning his head; that's football.

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Need a big strong striker to bully Terry alongside Bobby tonight.  Becoming less impressed with O'Dowda though as he doesnt get involved enough, seems scared to take his man on and when he does, the end product, whether a strike or a cross seem to be poor.

Terry has played against big strong forwards all his career but he's nowhere near as comfortable when being ran at - just like Flint.

That won't be lost on LJ and I wouldn't surprised if Famara is on the bench tonight.

13 hours ago, Olé said:

After Tuesday I would give Eliasson or O'Dowda a start - preferably the former as his goal and O'Dowda's miss probably has him more buzzed to put another shift in.

Paterson is the one to drop, I like him a lot but he's what American sports journalists call a 'tweener' - a player who can play two positions (in his case wide or through the middle) but his problem is he doesn't consistently do one very well, he's certainly not an out and out winger and comes inside a lot.

Personally I'd have Brownhill tuck in and make a three in central midfield - since one consistent feature, even at Watford, is being overrun in central midfield - and then have one out and out winger pushed up and hanging on a defenders shoulder. Along with Reid that will cause problems for a back line.

Don't ask me about Diedhiou - you can't drop a £5m man yet and someone needs to abuse John Terry. I don't think it's time yet to change that position and no way you go for Woodrow to start this quickly.

Hate you being so right :P

Exactly my thoughts.  The romance of playing Hinds or starting Woodrow need to be countered against playing against Chester and Terry.  Not trying to big them up, but as much as they wouldn't want a nippy littlun up against them, I don't think they'll enjoy Diedhiou either. Reid will provide the nippy, tricky stuff.

Hinds and Woodrow on bench.

Fielding, Pisano, Bryan, Wright, Baker, Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Eliasson, Reid, Diedhiou 

Subs: Lucic, Magnússon, Hegeler, O'Neil, Paterson, Hinds, Woodrow (sorry O'Dowda, Flint, Taylor, Vyner, Kelly)

Would mean Eliasson on left against Hutton...interesting!  Did he swap onto left on Tuesday?

Archived