IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Aston Villa FC match day thread

Septic Peg

1 minute ago, winterbournered said:

Terry's reaction tells me it was a pen. No reaction on the first two, that third one, pulled arm straight away, hands went up and nervous look at the ref. 

It was a penalty. You can't hold your arms out like a scarecrow and claim no advantage. We were the better team for most of that match and Terry looked bang average for me

2 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

He clearly doesn't flail his arms around like that when he's running with the ball. They're in a natural position. He knows exactly what he's doing, he's been doing it for years, and it's absolutely handball. 

You've said a lot without saying anything. He's mid tackle, why would your arms be the same as when you're running with the ball? Is that how you play?

13 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Doesn't make it right. 99% of football fans and many referees wrongly implement the handball rule. That's not a pen.

Villa gained an advantage by the direction change of the ball after it struck his arm which were in an unnatural position.

Letter of the law says penalty.

That said a draw was fair.

3 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I like the back four. 

The midfield is lightweight.

The front two never got any service.

We need a midfielder. Before the end of the Xfer window. And a good one too.

Agree with that. Back four were very good tonight. Disappointing going forward though.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Villa gained an advantage by the direction change of the ball after it struck his arm which were in an unnatural position.

Letter of the law says penalty.

That said a draw was fair.

Mate please know what you're talking about before saying something. Letter of the law (if we're being specific) says 100% no penalty. It has to be 100% deliberate if we go by the letter of the law, but none of us do, and no ref's do either.

This thread just going to prove that 99% of football fans have no idea.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Pretty sure the rules say you have to move your hand towards the ball, and then it has to be deliberate. On two, the ball struck Terry's hand at pace when he couldn't move it away, the third hit his hand when he was clearly trying to move it away. No pen x3.

Here you go. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4524354.stm

Fair result that. Could have nicked it, but on balance of play, have to say a point apiece is ok. 

I think we played very well in parts against a side full of very good players. 

We bossed it for long periods, but they also had their fair share at times too. Shame about the handball calls from the ref. 2 would have been incredibly harsh, but the last one was nailed on for me. Alas the John Terry effect. 

Brave of LJ to roll the dice at the end with Eliasson and COD. Not sure Eliasson touched the ball? Woodrow neither, but he had zero service.

Best player: Reid/Pato. Thought they both did the right thing at the right time, just needed a bit more quality in final third. Reid was everywhere. 75 mins he chased back 60 yards to make a tackle and was playing sweeper at times in last 10.

Not sure where Brownhill went for large parts though?

All in all, solid point. Would have taken that before the game. Great to see a consistent performance across the 90 against a side who,  with their playing resources, really ought to be competing. 

On to the next with more confidence for me. 

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Worked hard for that, and possibly about right. Thought Villa shaded the second half, but at the end of the day needed a lucky goal to draw. We hit the post, and in another day could have got a penalty. Much better effort than Millwall, but second home draw in a row.

Their goal - not lucky too? 

Oops sorry pl ignore!!!

Brief match report (1st time I've seen us this season)

Defensively very good, midfield (predictably) uncreative, lacking penetration in the final third. We were the better team for most of the match, need more of a threat in the box. Diedhiou clearly has something but needs more support. Reid is transformed, Paterson was wasteful, Brownhill looks like he wants to play in the middle. So make it happen LJ and get Eliasson on earlier

Archived