IGNORED

Ratings

old_eastender

with 6 being a decent competent display...

Frankie - 8 - Some key saves and good takes, no chance with goal.

Pisano - 7 - Solid defensively (a proper right back).

Wright & Baker - 8 - Stood firm against good opposition, defensively very assured.

Bryan - 7 - Another good defensive display, not so many forward overlaps today.

Pack - 5 - Didn't show much but worked hard, slow to close down attacker which lead to deflection for goal rather than getting block in.

Smith - 6 - Saw a lot of the ball, but some sloppy play getting caught in possession.

Paterson - 5 - Took the goal well, did get into a lot of good positions but didn't make the most of them. Succession of really poor corners.

Reid - 6 - Worked tirelessly, didn't have much opportunity.

Fammy - 6 - Came into the game better in 2nd half showing some good hold-up play.

Brownhill - 6 - Ran and ran, would be more effective in the middle.

Subs:

Woodrow - 4 - Offered nothing, when he came on we were less effective.

Eliasson & COD - can't rate as hardly had a touch only being introduced after 85 mins.

Becoming very happy with our back 5 (including Frankie). Starting to look like a unit who understand each other.

Thought we had a go, and on another day could have nicked it. Name me a team in the league where their fans do not want a better striker or attacking midfielder.

Some way to go, but always believed in be solid first, and I think we are getting there. Two goals conceeded v Watford, Millwall and Villa is ok. Should also bear in mind Villa scored 4 last two times out.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Very harsh on Ried and Paterson 

How is this harsh?  Reid - 6 - Worked tirelessly, didn't have much opportunity.

Pato is a marmite player, I just think he didn't do enough after getting into good positions (although did take goal very well)... also his corner taking was really poor.

16 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Wright & Baker - 8 - Stood firm against good opposition, defensively very assured.

Pack - 5 - Didn't show much but worked hard, slow to close down attacker which lead to deflection for goal rather than getting block in.

Smith - 6 - Saw a lot of the ball, but some sloppy play getting caught in possession.

Paterson - 5 - Took the goal well, did get into a lot of good positions but didn't make the most of them. Succession of really poor corners.

Fammy - 6 - Came into the game better in 2nd half showing some good hold-up play.

Subs:

Eliasson & COD - can't rate as hardly had a touch only being introduced after 85 mins.

You should have gone to specsavers!

Baker, Wright, Bryan, Pisano were a great unit tonight. Did we miss Flint? I think not.

They moved the ball out well, but our weakness tonight was in the final third against an uncompromising defence. There was just not enough talent for that killer final ball. Hopefully we'll see soon if Eliasson can provide that killer pass.

23 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Subs:

Yet Paterson named mom by non biased pundits?!

OK I am on my own with this but every time I watch Bryan I cannot see him as a left back.  He was very lucky when caught out by his winger not to give a goal away. Yes I know I am in a minority of one but I believe we have better options in that position.  

Still think we should convert Flint into a centre forward. Another isolated opinion of mine.

I like Pisano, think Reid could make it as a striker with better support around him, Baker is a definite upgrade but we all knew that.  No evidence that Wright leads on the pitch.

As they say a work in progress

Better than last season's team? Time alone will tell

Looks like the op has something against Paterson, easy motm tonight, 

He was the one player who was trying to always make the attacking pass that could have won is the game, he should not be given a lower rating just because something did not always come off, I am glad he kept trying, and a very good goal aswell

Felt Korey was a passenger and not been impressed by him for a while. We really need to upgrade him or give someone else a chance. The game tonight though, really enjoyable, some good football in spells and really felt everyone was trying to win tonight giving their all.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

OK I am on my own with this but every time I watch Bryan I cannot see him as a left back.  He was very lucky when caught out by his winger not to give a goal away. Yes I know I am in a minority of one but I believe we have better options in that position.  

Still think we should convert Flint into a centre forward. Another isolated opinion of mine.

I like Pisano, think Reid could make it as a striker with better support around him, Baker is a definite upgrade but we all knew that.  No evidence that Wright leads on the pitch.

Probably a little harsh. I thought Joe was alright tonight if unspectacular. 

Flint won't ever make a CF! Although every time we get a corner I don't have the excitement I have when Aden is on the pitch. 

Reid is an interesting subject. His touches and flicks are neat, but his control of the ball isn't quite as good as I'd like. I'm glad he's been taken out of the dangerous areas in which he can give the ball away. He's playing well. I'm not so sure he's a long term option, but time will tell. 

And I thought the two CB's were brilliant tonight. 

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If you are the only person who thinks something then you are probably wrong 

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Felt Korey was a passenger and not been impressed by him for a while. We really need to upgrade him or give someone else a chance. The game tonight though, really enjoyable, some good football in spells and really felt everyone was trying to win tonight giving their all.

Kind of agree. But can't help feeling that it looked as tho Koreys mind was elsewhere. Any reasons why?

4 minutes ago, Marty said:

Kind of agree. But can't help feeling that it looked as tho Koreys mind was elsewhere. Any reasons why?

Just think that,sadly, he isn't good enough at this level. Very good L1 player but not good enough to move us up to the next level as far as I've seen since we got promoted.

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Just think that,sadly, he isn't good enough at this level. Very good L1 player but not good enough to move us up to the next level as far as I've seen since we got promoted.

I think one of Pack / Smith as defensive midfielder alongside someone like Jackson Irvine would be fine.

It's a bit odd that we're giving midfielders 5s and 6s for a game where we bossed the midfield for the majority of it.  That performance was light years better than Millwall, we pressed high up and moved.  The passing and interplay was good but lacked the final ball around the box.  

A big part of the reason we didn't create many clean cut chances was because the ball only really stuck when it went into Reid and he got crowded out quite a bit.  Diedhiou had a difficult game and his touch was wanting on more than a few occasions.  He needs time but he's going to need to be sharper to make an impact.

I thought the defence all did fine, Baker and Wright pretty solid with only a couple of panicky moments.  Pisano needs to be slightly more aware of how he's getting back after we lose possession because Brownhill had to cover him half a dozen times - we wouldn't be able to play Patterson in front of him if he's going that far forward that speculatively.  Bryan had a good game, the goal was unfortunate and not his fault - I think it was Pack and Patterson that both looked at it and each decided the other was going for it, Patterson really should have made sure.

Nice to see Bryan and Baker both bringing the ball out of defence on the floor at well chosen moments, Smith too did this pretty well.  We looked more effective when that was happening than later in the second half when Pack started quarterbacking the game, but to be fair I think that was probably because our movement had dropped off as energy was used up.  I actually thought Pack and Smith had strong games, some good solid passing to feet through the midfield and they kept the ball well.

Fielding made some good saves - not sure about positioning for the goal but that deflection was very unlucky, and he did better with distribution in the second half when he started to roll it out quickly.  I still think we should give him some real competition but certainly no complaints today.

Woodrow looked lively in his short cameo and worked hard - I think he had a better touch and vision in his short spell - but we didn't have much possession in that part of the game.  Eliasson wasn't on long enough to judge and nor was O'Dowda.  I like that LJ had a go at it at the end but wonder where Taylor was if fit?  He'd have made more impact probably.  Still, it was a much more confident and lively display against a better side than Millwall so well done to him there.

Villa - I know they had quite a few players absent but they looked mid table to me.  Onomah the goalscorer in midfield was special - not surprised to check on him afterwards and note he's on loan from Spurs, he is probably going to star at this level if that was anything to go by.  Nothing much else stood out except their forward - 39 - who was shocking.

Ref was poor I think.  Not sure about the penalty shouts, no way the handball call against Terry was deliberate but nor was the one the ref gave against us five minutes later.  Reid's first tumble looked extremely soft, and the second I thought he'd probably had his heels clipped and would have got a free kick outside the box.  I thought there was a hint of offside about our goal but an argument could be made that Diedhiou wasn't interfering, and there were a couple of poor decisions notably for a Villa corner given as a goalkick to us. 

Overall a much better game than Saturday and I came away fairly happy.  I don't think we did enough to win but I don't really think Villa did enough to get a point either.

I though Keith Andrews had it spot on. High tempo possession style can only get you so far unless we get some better quality players in. Sees us as a top half team based on what hes seen so far.

I personally think its still early days and we famara needs to settle into this style as does pisano but so far both look decent.

For me smith looks the weakest atm but then dont catch much of him off the ball.

Woodrow is really gonna be a waste if we play the high or long ball because i don't see him having attributes to cope in this league with either.

Archived