IGNORED

Ratings

old_eastender

Having watched the game on TV as I live in France. I was quite impressed with the defence,not a lot coming from midfield.Diedhiou strong. But there was no end product? I know we scored but it was rather pinball. We certainly need a decent goal scorer (recognized). I still am worried when ever Frankie gets the ball. He doesn't inspire confidence, so do the.team feel confidence in him? I wonder. Anyway a good point against a.team considered on paper as promotion candidates

A solid team performance and a very entertaining match.

Defensively City were very solid. Whilst not a Bailey-Wright fan I thought tonight he was excellent along with the entire defence. Baker looks a steal at £3M.

Our midfield is still lacking. Korey Smith is now a major weak link and we desperately need an upgrade.

Still unsure on Fammy up top. Some good hold up play but he's not going to score many. Bobby Reid now looking the real deal. He's improved so much.

Fielding - 7. Solid and loved how he closed down their winger out to his left in the second half. Unlucky on the goal

Defense - 8 All were very assured and did their jobs very well. The goal was a midfield error where everyone went with a man and no one went to the ball at least how I saw it. 

Brownhill - 7 thought he was decent tonight. Got on the ball quite a bit and helped dictate the tempo we wanted. Just feel with our forwards lacking a bit of quality at the moment we need more from the two "wing" players. Josh is very safe but needs to try and make more happen in the final third. I'd have him in midfield with Pack and Eliasson where Brownhill has been playing. 

Pack 7 though he bossed their midfield to be fair. Kept everything going at the pace we wanted. Worked his socks off and was absolutely shattered from what I saw when he came off. He's a class act and I'd rather him in the side then Villa new boy Whelan. 

Smith 5 second straight poor home game from KS. Don't get it twisted, works his tail off and I appreciate that but he's been very lax with the ball lately. Gave away 3-4 easy ones tonight. Fought to make up for it but needs to be replaced by either Brownhill, GON or someone new. 

Pato 7 for me, he does a lot of work off the ball and getting into little pockets of space. He tries to get us forward and make something happen. Frustrating at times but always trying to be positive so I can live with it. 

Fam 5 he's got to start showing a bit more for me. He's not even getting into good positions on the court for the most part. Didn't really get on the end of things and hold it up to play others in either. Completely anonymous so far. A good 6 games now? And a few months in the country needs to start getting up to speed

Reid 6.5 don't think he was a 6 because he worked his socks off trying but didn't get much from Fam. Done well to draw some fouls win some corners and hold it up in his own way. Needs a bit more support 

Very happy with our back 5 tonight. FF and JB are much improved on last season and looking confident. Going forward I still worry we aren't creating enough chances or looking like scoring too many goals. With a bit of cutting edge we could have put villa away tonight

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

It's a bit odd that we're giving midfielders 5s and 6s for a game where we bossed the midfield for the majority of it.  That performance was light years better than Millwall, we pressed high up and moved.  The passing and interplay was good but lacked the final ball around the box.  

A big part of the reason we didn't create many clean cut chances was because the ball only really stuck when it went into Reid and he got crowded out quite a bit.  Diedhiou had a difficult game and his touch was wanting on more than a few occasions.  He needs time but he's going to need to be sharper to make an impact.

I thought the defence all did fine, Baker and Wright pretty solid with only a couple of panicky moments.  Pisano needs to be slightly more aware of how he's getting back after we lose possession because Brownhill had to cover him half a dozen times - we wouldn't be able to play Patterson in front of him if he's going that far forward that speculatively.  Bryan had a good game, the goal was unfortunate and not his fault - I think it was Pack and Patterson that both looked at it and each decided the other was going for it, Patterson really should have made sure.

Nice to see Bryan and Baker both bringing the ball out of defence on the floor at well chosen moments, Smith too did this pretty well.  We looked more effective when that was happening than later in the second half when Pack started quarterbacking the game, but to be fair I think that was probably because our movement had dropped off as energy was used up.  I actually thought Pack and Smith had strong games, some good solid passing to feet through the midfield and they kept the ball well.

Fielding made some good saves - not sure about positioning for the goal but that deflection was very unlucky, and he did better with distribution in the second half when he started to roll it out quickly.  I still think we should give him some real competition but certainly no complaints today.

Woodrow looked lively in his short cameo and worked hard - I think he had a better touch and vision in his short spell - but we didn't have much possession in that part of the game.  Eliasson wasn't on long enough to judge and nor was O'Dowda.  I like that LJ had a go at it at the end but wonder where Taylor was if fit?  He'd have made more impact probably.  Still, it was a much more confident and lively display against a better side than Millwall so well done to him there.

Villa - I know they had quite a few players absent but they looked mid table to me.  Onomah the goalscorer in midfield was special - not surprised to check on him afterwards and note he's on loan from Spurs, he is probably going to star at this level if that was anything to go by.  Nothing much else stood out except their forward - 39 - who was shocking.

Ref was poor I think.  Not sure about the penalty shouts, no way the handball call against Terry was deliberate but nor was the one the ref gave against us five minutes later.  Reid's first tumble looked extremely soft, and the second I thought he'd probably had his heels clipped and would have got a free kick outside the box.  I thought there was a hint of offside about our goal but an argument could be made that Diedhiou wasn't interfering, and there were a couple of poor decisions notably for a Villa corner given as a goalkick to us. 

Overall a much better game than Saturday and I came away fairly happy.  I don't think we did enough to win but I don't really think Villa did enough to get a point either.

Nice post.  Lots of stuff I agree with, a few bits I don't, but some good observations. 

Fielding - 7 - for someone who defends his kicking, he frustrated me tonight as he did Millwall.  Very assured performance with the gloves though...perhaps he should wear them on his feet too 

Pisano - 7 - very, very solid....would've been an 8 or 9 if his crossing had been better and Bjarneson hasn't come on.  He caused Eros some problems as he tired.  I love watching him positionally, both when we are attacking and defending.  He is a huge upgrade on Litts.  Like a lot of foreign players he moves to accept the ball, or give options.  Bailey Wright benefits massively from having Eros on his outside.  Andre Green - non-existent.

Bryan - 7 - really happy with his defensive contribution tonight. Did he really get beaten tonight.  Strong in the air and tackle, playing against a very tidy Elmohamady.

Wright - 7 - very assured.  Got done once towards end of first half by Davis, but otherwise stopped Villa getting in behind us.  Much better onthe right side of a two. 

Baker - 7 - wanted to give him an 8, but thought Davis got into the game second half, but as Wright, even though neither are blessed with pace, we don't look like getting done in behind.  What a header to block that first half shot.

Brownhill - 7 - very impressed with him tonight, I'm critical that he drifts in and out of games.  I thought tonight he was good throughout.  Good partnership with Pisano and he found good space, and pressed ever so well. Played some very clever balls into the front-men and the odd give and go.  Maturing I think.

Smith - 6 - good first half not quite so good second.  Moves the ball well and quickly most of the game, but still the odd brain freeze moment where he gets caught.  He worked very hard, and was key to our pressing.

Pack - 7 - thought he stamped his authority on the game and wanted to boss the midfield....not easy with Whelan, Hourihane and Onomah.  First half he was fantastic but did tire second half.  Probably a 6.5, but I've rounded him up!

Paterson - 7.5 - thought he meant business tonight.  Under pressure from COD and NE, so had to put in a performance.  I thought he buzzed around all night, and was at the heart of lots of our best attacking moments, even if it just didn't quite work for us.  Glad he got a goal, just to see that gif!

Diedhiou - 6 - so unselfish, and I think Reid is benefitting from this.  Didn't give any of the Villa CBs an easy time.  Of course I'd like to see more from him in and around the box, but I enjoyed watching him tonight.  A good out-ball tonight when we couldn't build the play.

Reid - 6.5 - typical new-Bobby performance, buzzed around, found space, moved the ball well....just no goals to top it off.  Worked his socks off.  Not sure why he dropped deeper, assume tactical as Villa were becoming dominant in the middle in the last 10.

I thought the ref was good tonight.  Couldn't see the handball, but it seems most on Twitter and LJ and SB thought is was poor.

Good set of ratings @Davefevs, agree with all of those. 

As someone who appreciates and understands the defensive side of the game? What did you make of Terry? I was quite impressed overall, obviously he's lost his quickness but he's still got that instinct to be 3 seconds ahead of play and position himself correctly to cover others or intercept.

Notice Diedhiou getting criticised tonight but felt he was much better than what lots are saying. He does so much donkey work that goes unnoticed, their defence won't have enjoyed playing against him. Lots of nice layoffs and hold up play. He's always going to be judged harshly and compared to Kodjia/Abraham which doesn't help.

Think Smith seemed to expect more time on the ball and kept losing possession, similar to Watford. The pack substitution was weird one as instantly smith and bronwhill didn't know where to go with the ball, I would taken off bronwhill or smith, think o'neil would at least try to get forward attacks going.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nice post.  Lots of stuff I agree with, a few bits I don't, but some good observations. 

Fielding - 7 - for someone who defends his kicking, he frustrated me tonight as he did Millwall.  Very assured performance with the gloves though...perhaps he should wear them on his feet too 

Pisano - 7 - very, very solid....would've been an 8 or 9 if his crossing had been better and Bjarneson hasn't come on.  He caused Eros some problems as he tired.  I love watching him positionally, both when we are attacking and defending.  He is a huge upgrade on Litts.  Like a lot of foreign players he moves to accept the ball, or give options.  Bailey Wright benefits massively from having Eros on his outside.  Andre Green - non-existent.

Bryan - 7 - really happy with his defensive contribution tonight. Did he really get beaten tonight.  Strong in the air and tackle, playing against a very tidy Elmohamady.

Wright - 7 - very assured.  Got done once towards end of first half by Davis, but otherwise stopped Villa getting in behind us.  Much better onthe right side of a two. 

Baker - 7 - wanted to give him an 8, but thought Davis got into the game second half, but as Wright, even though neither are blessed with pace, we don't look like getting done in behind.  What a header to block that first half shot.

Brownhill - 7 - very impressed with him tonight, I'm critical that he drifts in and out of games.  I thought tonight he was good throughout.  Good partnership with Pisano and he found good space, and pressed ever so well. Played some very clever balls into the front-men and the odd give and go.  Maturing I think.

Smith - 6 - good first half not quite so good second.  Moves the ball well and quickly most of the game, but still the odd brain freeze moment where he gets caught.  He worked very hard, and was key to our pressing.

Pack - 7 - thought he stamped his authority on the game and wanted to boss the midfield....not easy with Whelan, Hourihane and Onomah.  First half he was fantastic but did tire second half.  Probably a 6.5, but I've rounded him up!

Paterson - 7.5 - thought he meant business tonight.  Under pressure from COD and NE, so had to put in a performance.  I thought he buzzed around all night, and was at the heart of lots of our best attacking moments, even if it just didn't quite work for us.  Glad he got a goal, just to see that gif!

Diedhiou - 6 - so unselfish, and I think Reid is benefitting from this.  Didn't give any of the Villa CBs an easy time.  Of course I'd like to see more from him in and around the box, but I enjoyed watching him tonight.  A good out-ball tonight when we couldn't build the play.

Reid - 6.5 - typical new-Bobby performance, buzzed around, found space, moved the ball well....just no goals to top it off.  Worked his socks off.  Not sure why he dropped deeper, assume tactical as Villa were becoming dominant in the middle in the last 10.

I thought the ref was good tonight.  Couldn't see the handball, but it seems most on Twitter and LJ and SB thought is was poor.

Nice post fella...

I watched Smith last night, as I thought I'd watch him again with an open mind, as if I was doing a scouting report on him for the first time.

I came to the conclusion that my previous thoughts were right all along.

Lots of energy, presses etc....but you hit the nail on the head, when you said 'brain freeze'. I've come to conclusion that his speed of mind and decision making is just too slow for the standard we are now looking for. It's those split seconds that make such a massive difference.

I look at him and GoN...both will put in decent performances over the season...but imo, it will be inconsistent.

CM is a must need upgrade. Pack needs someone better net to him. It's our one weak point, compared to other positions in the team.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good set of ratings @Davefevs, agree with all of those. 

As someone who appreciates and understands the defensive side of the game? What did you make of Terry? I was quite impressed overall, obviously he's lost his quickness but he's still got that instinct to be 3 seconds ahead of play and position himself correctly to cover others or intercept.

Notice Diedhiou getting criticised tonight but felt he was much better than what lots are saying. He does so much donkey work that goes unnoticed, their defence won't have enjoyed playing against him. Lots of nice layoffs and hold up play. He's always going to be judged harshly and compared to Kodjia/Abraham which doesn't help.

Thought he was ok.  I don't think it's his lack of pace per se it's the lack of Prem class players around him.  Same with Whelan.

Spot on re Famara.  He will be judged on goals, and for £5m that is only right.  But much more to his game and was vital in the way we played.  I've not seen us get it down and play on the ground and get it into the opposition third so easily in a long time.  He forms part of that capability.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

Nice post fella...

I watched Smith last night, as I thought I'd watch him again with an open mind, as if I was doing a scouting report on him for the first time.

I came to the conclusion that my previous thoughts were right all along.

Lots of energy, presses etc....but you hit the nail on the head, when you said 'brain freeze'. I've come to conclusion that his speed of mind and decision making is just too slow for the standard we are now looking for. It's those split seconds that make such a massive difference.

I look at him and GoN...both will put in decent performances over the season...but imo, it will be inconsistent.

CM is a must need upgrade. Pack needs someone better net to him. It's our one weak point, compared to other positions in the team.

I think a fit O'Neil might be better than Smith, but I'd probably want Brownhill to play narrower.  Interestingly O'Neil played a lot on right side in his early career.

10 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I watched on the TV last night & you do get a different perspective. Always been a fan of Korey but looked ponderous last night & even when he didn't get caught in possession, he looked like he might! Overall thought we looked decent. 

I want to watch it again.  I think we all get different views and therefore opinions watching within the ground, and differentvagain from those on tv.  I thought the ref was the best we'd had down at AG in some time, but a lot people, both managers included, thought he spoilt the game.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he was ok.  I don't think it's his lack of pace per se it's the lack of Prem class players around him.  Same with Whelan.

Good point, hasn't thought of that. Thought he read the game very well and their back four was organised. Chris Samba also played pretty well too I thought, incredibly dominant in the air.

Felt their forwards and wingers were ineffective until they made some subs. Bjarnason gave us a few problems when he came on.

11 hours ago, old_eastender said:

How is this harsh?  Reid - 6 - Worked tirelessly, didn't have much opportunity.

Pato is a marmite player, I just think he didn't do enough after getting into good positions (although did take goal very well)... also his corner taking was really poor.

His corners are awful and with Flint out we ate not a threat. Not seen Famara get on the end of anything apart from poor bicycle kick

11 hours ago, old_eastender said:

with 6 being a decent competent display...

Frankie - 8 - Some key saves and good takes, no chance with goal.

Pisano - 7 - Solid defensively (a proper right back).

Wright & Baker - 8 - Stood firm against good opposition, defensively very assured.

Bryan - 7 - Another good defensive display, not so many forward overlaps today.

Pack - 5 - Didn't show much but worked hard, slow to close down attacker which lead to deflection for goal rather than getting block in.

Smith - 6 - Saw a lot of the ball, but some sloppy play getting caught in possession.

Paterson - 5 - Took the goal well, did get into a lot of good positions but didn't make the most of them. Succession of really poor corners.

Reid - 6 - Worked tirelessly, didn't have much opportunity.

Fammy - 6 - Came into the game better in 2nd half showing some good hold-up play.

Brownhill - 6 - Ran and ran, would be more effective in the middle.

Subs:

Woodrow - 4 - Offered nothing, when he came on we were less effective.

Eliasson & COD - can't rate as hardly had a touch only being introduced after 85 mins.

Agree in general, but I would mark Fammy down to 5.

Two evenly matched teams, who both lacked creativity in midfield, Reid and Diedhiou will continue to rate low with the uninventive midfield that we possess, it must be heart breaking, Patterson was ok and took his goal well but is not a wide midfielder hardly ever beats an opponent unless he cuts inside so consequently easy to read, the same could be said for Brownhill.

The midfield needs a serious overhaul. We look stronger at the back and to be fair the midfield looked slightly more disciplined last night, their equaliser was a wake up call, we had sat back after our goal, their goal made us take up our higher line once more, there were still a couple of times where the midfield left the defence too exposed and needing to be rescued by Fielding, we need an organiser, Pack and Smith seem to whinge a lot but nobody organises and nobody certainly has the creative spark needed, crossing including corners are poor, we got lucky with the free kick leading to our goal but free kicks are generally poor you know you are struggling at free kicks when one of our got to guys is Pack.

Last season we lost 17 points from winning positions the fourth worst, this season we have already lost 5 points joint worst in our league, improve the midfield with 'real' quality and that stat should improve.

Archived