IGNORED

the elephant in the room.

pillred

Twice in the first 20 minutes we broke. He peeled off the CB and was looking for a through ball. Both Reid and Brownhill never slipped him in. Might not have been the easiest ball but should have been played. I am prepared to give the guy a decent run but we must give him chances to judge him.

Ive read some gumpf in my time, i really have.

the pace of this league is different to the french league. 

Has anyone thought that maybe reid's form has come because he is playing alongside a striker that is pulling their defenders all over the place?

5million is a lot of money, but when we may have robbed cardiff of 3million and flint is likely to go for 5, its not all that bad.

Shock horror, Johnson and Co wasting money. Magnússon, Engvail, Moore (any one seen him?), O'Neil wages. 5m on fam looks ridiculous. I'm not sure as a club it's sustainable. That's the negative, fingers crossed he's just taking time to adapt. He doesn't look a bad player, just not there yet. Part of the problem is he does alot of the donkey work, runs the channels constantly which leaves us short in the middle.

Early days!

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

Shock horror, Johnson and Co wasting money. Magnússon, Engvall, Moore

I honestly don't see why we don't sell these. Mags could generate some decent money and is better than Bryan, Engvall is wanted by Ipswich and why we brought in Moore I have no clue

Think I'll give him more than 5 games before making an opinion. Big leap in standard and even bigger in terms of the pace of games in the Championship.           

On last nights showing though, thought he did well against a very experienced back line and caused problems, good movement, made himself available, didn't really threaten in front of goal but the service wasn't great. On a side note, when he went off and Woodrow came on we lost pretty much all impetus, thought Terry and Chester has Woodrow in their pockets. 

7 hours ago, pillred said:

yes it's probably a bit soon to be saying it, but my opinion is, ducking already, and I hope more than you can ever know, I am wrong, famara diedeou looks the biggest waste of money I have ever seen, I am 61 and I reckon I'm faster over 10 yards than he is, disappointed does not even begin to cover it.

I certainly have my fears already. 

His best trait is what he brings to others like Bobby Reid and his work rate is great.  But £5m? Nah. 

6 hours ago, pillred said:

exactly, he didn't make it in time, people say he will need time to adjust, he is being asked to do his job, how different can it be, the French game is the same as ours as far as I know.

Nowhere near as fast and physical in France as it is here. He'll take time . He's also a very unselfish forward that creates a lot of space for others 

22 minutes ago, Euan BCFC said:

Not that he cost anything, but Woodrow looks pretty crap too. Our only good striker is Booby, who just wouldn't be able to cope up top on his own. So, unfortunately, unless we sign a new Forward in the next week, I think we're screwed

You said yourself you've not been to a game yet !

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Kodjia had only scored one more goal than Diedhiou has after 5 league games. If I remember correctly, he was making lots of basic errors to begin with - plenty of offsides and was pretty greedy on the ball.

Also worth noting that at Diedhiou's age, Kodjia was just about to have his breakthrough season at Angers whereas Diedhiou has far more experience at a better standard. 

Agreed - he's that sort of player and totally different to JK or TA. I believe he has really helped Reid and I'm sure Bobby would attest to that.

It is a big price tag though so I can understand why he's being critiqued pretty harshly.

Yes he can, he's only 24 so has years to improve. He will definitely get physically stronger and adjust to the English game.

I feel last night he gave Terry, Samba and Chester plenty to think about. He was against an experienced and canny defence and held his own in my opinion.

Thought he did ok last night and was strong and held the ball up or drew fouls out of 2 experienced defenders. Some nice touches  and lay offs too. I think too many are over analysing him and I think he will improve as time goes on to be a good striker for us

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Thought he did ok last night and was strong and held the ball up or drew fouls out of 2 experienced defenders. Some nice touches  and lay offs too. I think too many are over analysing him and I think he will improve as time goes on to be a good striker for us

Obviously the price tag is high and I can understand why people would expect more of an instant impact and a high goal return.

Perhaps it's the wrong way to see the price tag. You could argue that the fee was spent to improve Reid and Taylor's game by buying in an unselfish and hardworking player to create time and space for them.

The way we set up and the way the game was going he got zero chances or opportunities to threaten the goal so he was forced into dropping deep and running the channels. Which i thought he did reasonably okay with!

A selfless striker when some of the midfield are helping out will go a long way. He isn't a Kodjia or a Tammy but he will do well for us.

Out of interest for those who talk about Diedhiou in terms of £5m- if he had cost £500k would he be any better in people's opinion?

The money is largely irrelevant as SL covers this and 'we' haven't spent it. 

The real question, imo, is:  is Famara going to get us the goals we need to kick on? At this early stage- it doesn't look likely but is does look like he's going to cause all sorts of problems with defenders so we need goals from midfield for a change which , errr, doesn't seem likely.

Goals haven't really been our problem in recent seasons but conceding them has. It now looks like the defence is solid so I really hope the attack quickly finds the best pairings because the irony of getting the defence finally sorted just as the goals dry up will not be lost on here.

5m is the starting price these days for a striker. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fee. 

He is a very unselfish player who's adapting to his new environment, he's busy enough and drawing players out,  with bobby finding the spaces I think this could work out quite well. 

He needs some time playing finding his game in a new league.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

yes it's probably a bit soon to be saying it, but my opinion is, ducking already, and I hope more than you can ever know, I am wrong, famara diedeou looks the biggest waste of money I have ever seen, I am 61 and I reckon I'm faster over 10 yards than he is, disappointed does not even begin to cover it.

Mkyhtarien ( I can't be bothered to get the correct spelling) cost something like 25 million for Man U and was left out of the squad for months , same as Lindelof for 30 mil and he hasn't been anywhere near the squad yet as it takes time to settle and adapt .  We haven't got the luxury of a big quality squad to be able to do that so we have to chuck them in and give them time.  

How can he be labelled as crap this early 

I thought he played a good game, and he was absolutely shattered when he came off.  I saw several nice touches and lay offs, and countless times holding the ball.

As for his price tag, It's not our money so it doesn't really matter, and £5 million isn't a lot these days, is it?  I'm confident that come the end of the season he would've scored approx. 15 goals, had a fair few assists, and given several defenders a torrid game or two.

As a few others have said, you can't begin to compare him to JK or Tammy, because they are not £5million strikers, they are £15 and £20million strikers respectively.

6 minutes ago, screech said:

5m is the starting price these days for a striker. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fee. 

He is a very unselfish player who's adapting to his new environment, he's busy enough and drawing players out,  with bobby finding the spaces I think this could work out quite well. 

He needs some time playing finding his game in a new league.

Exactly!

What he is doing off the ball is as important as what he does with the ball.  Only a foolish defender would leave him unmarked and with that he takes defenders with him and creates gaps.

Just needs time and some Championship tweaking.

He's showed glimpses of quality particularly against Barnsley and Brum. Still doesn't look fully fit to me and seems to die off slightly second half  so I'm hoping that's going to improve going forward. When Kodj first signed he rarely played 90 mins. 

Also, let's be honest he was up against 3 tough experienced defenders and did ok He will get easier games to show what he can do , his work rate was brilliant 

do you think he did better last night than Tammy did last week on the box if you saw it ? All 3 of villas defenders have played in the prem 

I thought he did okay last night to be honest. Gave the Villa defence enough to think about, was intriguing watching him up against 2 quality centre backs in Terry and Samba. 

Anyway, 5 games in a new country? I think I'll give him a bit longer than that. It was interesting to hear what they said about Pisano's reaction after the Brentford game (in terms of the football in this country).  

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I thought he did okay last night to be honest. Gave the Villa defence enough to think about, was intriguing watching him up against 2 quality centre backs in Terry and Samba. 

Anyway, 5 games in a new country? I think I'll give him a bit longer than that. It was interesting to hear what they said about Pisano's reaction after the Brentford game (in terms of the football in this country).  

Ye that made me laugh.

No surprise to see a massive over reaction from some on here.

He did ok last night, worked hard & played for the team & had 3 International CBs to compete against.

£5m is a lot of money though & I certainly don't buy the "that's what every Championship striker costs" line (ask Ipswich) but we clearly bought him to fit our pattern of play, something we cannot say about every signing.

He scored 8 in Ligue 1 last season & I would not be surprised if he only manages a couple more than that.

I've said this before, comparing him with Kodjia is harsh, JK was hugely underrated & unappreciated by some on here, but he was for me the best striker to play for us since Goater, though Maynard runs him close.

Archived