IGNORED

the elephant in the room.

pillred

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

JK cost us £3m and Tammy £1m so the comparison is valid.

Diedhiou is unlucky to be following in their footsteps but at this stage looks like a poorer version of Dele Adebola. 

Tammy £1m for 1 season and was never our player, we could never have signed him on a permanent basis, even Conte values him. Diedhiou is a long term investment, Tammy was there to get goals. JK was also a one season deal if he had success, he was using us as a stepping stone and he did just that after one good season.
Also two players of a completely different mould to Diedhiou, both out and out goalscorers, Diedhiou could be that but he's not being applied that way, LJ has him up there to receive the ball and hold it, that's not how you get goals. Tammy and JK both played the role Ried is now playing, attacker, with the free role to get in the box at opportune moments.

10 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Diedhiou is unlucky to be following in their footsteps but at this stage looks like a poorer version of Dele Adebola. 

Interesting comparison. Birmingham paid £1m for Adebola in 1998, nearly 20 years ago. What would they have paid in the current climate? More than £5m IMO.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Tammy £1m for 1 season and was never our player, we could never have signed him on a permanent basis, even Conte values him. Diedhiou is a long term investment, Tammy was there to get goals. JK was also a one season deal if he had success, he was using us as a stepping stone and he did just that after one good season.
Also two players of a completely different mould to Diedhiou, both out and out goalscorers, Diedhiou could be that but he's not being applied that way, LJ has him up there to receive the ball and hold it, that's not how you get goals. Tammy and JK both played the role Ried is now playing, attacker, with the free role to get in the box at opportune moments.

All fair enough but Diedhiou will be a one season deal if he is a success, make no mistske.

To those stating Championship strikers are going for £10-15m that is purely nonsense. A few clubs are paying inflated prices that's all. 

Most clubs are paying a million or two at tops. You only had to listen to Sky last night to appreciate a club like City, bereft of Parachute money, was considered unusual to be paying £5m for a player that's why it was mentioned several times.

Clubs such as Preston, Ipswich, QPR, Brum etc etc are not paying £5m out on one player. 

Not to say City shouldn't but it is a very large outlay for one player who is a gamble. 

That outlay probably means we cannot afford the commanding creative central midfielder those same posters crave.

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Interesting points, I like your reference of Dele Adebola, who I would posit was a massive success in English football, and it was a shame we didn't have the guy at a slightly earlier stage in his career.  If Famara proves to be a poorer version of Adebola, that's fine by me.  No way of saying for sure, but I'd reason that Dele Adebola would be worth at least £12million now, if not more. 

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

All fair enough but Diedhiou will be a one season deal if he is a success, make no mistske.

Maybe, it depends on who comes in for him and how much. If someone comes in and offers £7m I don't think we'll take it, if they offer £9m and he's been successful, I still don't see it. In fact, I don't see how we could buy for £5m, have success and then sell for anything less than £15m and at that point that's fine as it means we'll have tripled our money.

For £5m it may sound a lot but it's money I think is worth the gamble, we'll be a selling club as long as we're not challenging for the play offs and right now we're miles off of that so if we buy low and sell high it's still a positive. I personally think Diedhiou is a long term investment that is probably a 2-3 season deal, however I do worry that he may be another case of a player we bring in and doesn't shine because of how he is a used, then he moves on and shines brightly because another manager can use him more effectively. 
I'm not anti-LJ in saying that, I just think every manager has a style, LJ's doesn't bring out the best in the big men unless they have a lot of experience of having the ball lumped up to them.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Give him a chance.  He was playing against a pretty good defence last night and he caused them a few problems.  He'll get more space in other games.

Samba was fouling him every time he went near him. Wasn't getting any help from the ref

56 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Interesting points, I like your reference of Dele Adebola, who I would posit was a massive success in English football, and it was a shame we didn't have the guy at a slightly earlier stage in his career.  If Famara proves to be a poorer version of Adebola, that's fine by me.  No way of saying for sure, but I'd reason that Dele Adebola would be worth at least £12million now, if not more. 

Said when we signed him that he looked to be a Wayne Allison (underrated generally) and definitely reminds me of the Chief now I've seen him live a few times

Think Chief may have been a touch more of a goal threat and think that puts modern day prices into perspective 

No world beater but What would he (WA) go for if he was at his peak now ?, (He was valued at £150,000 in the deal that brought him here !!!!!! ) (Did go for £800,000 to Huddersfield later in his career)

4 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

It's a good debate to have about FD. 

I said same thing to guy I was sitting with that on 'current showing' no way is this fella a £5m plus striker.  Compare him to TA or JK before, light years apart.  

Perhaps we were spoilt with these two.  He is certainly not a 'Bas Savage' but his playing style reminds me more of Wayne Allison . I am uncomfortable that the club have spent such a huge chunk on FD.

Can a 5m striker be a work in progress. Has he given any opposition a difficult game to date 

I think he has given most sides we have faced a difficult game considering he scored against one, forced the ball to Reid when he scored against Barnsley and had a role in goals against two other teams.

People need to move on and not compare him to Tammy or Kodjia.

Diedhiou is more about bringing others into play and forcing errors. Watch him closely, he forces a handful of errors agaisnt each team we play from the pressing he does. And we have benefitted from that with a goal more than once already.

8 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

I thought he did ok last night held the ball up well and brought others into the game, against an experienced villa back line...didn't think he should have been brought off

I actually though the young villa centre forward did the same job much better than FD did for us. 

I thought he did OK last night. You could see second half from the SS how well he plays with his back to goal looking to lay it off to oncoming players. He did it at least four times from memory even with a Villa CB welded to him.

The other thing I noticed is that he didn`t look anything like as leggy after an hour as he has done in previous games.

I think we all know that some players start for their new team and settle straight into the way of playing and some need time to adjust to the type of play and speed involved. Thought Pogba was pretty average last season for Man U but this season is dictating games and looking an £80 million player. Diedhiou is one who needs a bit of time and will get stronger and quicker and more aware of whats required to be a successful striker in this relentless league. He and Reid form a decent partnership. Reid is also looking more muscular this season and I'm sure Diedhiou will be working on his strength and tactical awareness. But it would help if we had a midfielder who could give him the service he needs. That midfielder could be Brownhill or O'Neil. The game overall was pretty good. Played at a good pace and both sets of fans created a tremendous atmosphere. Great advert for both clubs in front of the cameras. Nearly forgot to mention Bryan's performance. Absolutely brilliant. Some of his tackles particularly in the second half were superb.

3 hours ago, pillred said:

gives me no pleasure saying it I can tell you. cant understand this time thing, if you or I change our place of work the boss doesn't say I don't mind if you are rubbish for the first month, football is what it is, he is not being asked to do anything he is not familiar with.

But if you moved abroad you night improve as you get used to the environment, language and how it works over there?

Archived