IGNORED

The midfield

Spike

I just want to start by saying I do see potential in this squad/team but I do think Johnson is making some strange decisions and I don't understand his midfield line up.

Brownhill - For me, playing Brownhill wide is such a waste of potential and talent, I've watched so many games where Brownhill receives the ball with his back to the goal, stays composed and turns to face or slips his marker without losing possession or needing to make a pass. He's also the only midfielder I see with any creativity with his passes, Pack, Smith even Patterson, they're all so vanilla when it comes to attacking and it's making us so easy to read and defend against.

Patterson - One of the few players we have who really will go at the opponent when in possession, he will try to beat his man, he will take a long shot if there is space and without him I do worry we lose a lot of our ability to pin a team back.

Smith - I don't understand the love for Smith, his tracking down players is ok but he's not that strong, he doesn't seem to be able to retain possession when pressured and plays easy to read passes all game long.

Pack - He was unfortunate yesterday with the deflection BUT I was saying for ages that he needed to come off because his pressuring was not good enough, in the final third Villa had long periods where they had no pressure on them in dangerous situations. He doesn't stay close enough to the opposition and seems to lose who he should be tracking and yesterday he ended up having to charge down the shot because of this and it resulted in the equaliser.

I think our midfield could do with a good mix up, it seems to be our weakest point, yes we can hold possession, yes we can move the ball around but it reminds me of Arsenal last season, loads of short passing, no creativity. We should be playing Brownhill in the middle, he's composed, retains the ball, makes passes that split defences and has a good eye for the right pass. The issue comes with who partners him there, we need a strong defensive minded midfielder to compliment him, Pack could do that job if LJ trained him to which would then allow us to use our wingers/ natural wide players. Patterson is a must on the flank and we have O'dowda and Eliasson who are both natural wingers but with the slow build up approach, we seem to have adopted and the lack of a creative passer they are being wasted. If Brownhill was in the middle he would offer that quicker, more precise pass when we win the ball back in the middle which would in-turn allow a quick counter using the natural wingers. With our current set up our wingers don't get any chance to get in behind the defence because we have no killer passes coming from the middle to allow them to get in behind the defence.

I know I'm not a manager or a coach, I know a lot of people will say leave the coach do his job etc but it's very frustrating seeing managers like Bruce see a problem and make the appropriate changes to fix those issues mid-game whilst LJ continues to look confused by changing tactics or where the strength of his players are. A good example of this from last night was Diedhiou, all we did was lump it up to him and he'd lose it over and over, he got a lot of stick for that but I don't remember many passes to feet coming in at all and yet his strength and size allows him to hold the ball up well in those situations. With Terry and Samba marking him out of the game in the first half a change at half time would have made sense but instead, we came out and continued to lump it to Diedhiou when everyone else received the ball to feet.
I know there are a lot of happy clappers and the opposite on these forums but I'd like to think I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm happy with the desire the lads show, I'm happy with LJ's determination, but I'm not so confident of LJ's ability to read the game, especially when he was a midfielder when he played and that seems to be our weakest area.

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

I just want to start by saying I do see potential in this squad/team but I do think Johnson is making some strange decisions and I don't understand his midfield line up.

Brownhill - For me, playing Brownhill wide is such a waste of potential and talent, I've watched so many games where Brownhill receives the ball with his back to the goal, stays composed and turns to face or slips his marker without losing possession or needing to make a pass. He's also the only midfielder I see with any creativity with his passes, Pack, Smith even Patterson, they're all so vanilla when it comes to attacking and it's making us so easy to read and defend against.

Patterson - One of the few players we have who really will go at the opponent when in possession, he will try to beat his man, he will take a long shot if there is space and without him I do worry we lose a lot of our ability to pin a team back.

Smith - I don't understand the love for Smith, his tracking down players is ok but he's not that strong, he doesn't seem to be able to retain possession when pressured and plays easy to read passes all game long.

Pack - He was unfortunate yesterday with the deflection BUT I was saying for ages that he needed to come off because his pressuring was not good enough, in the final third Villa had long periods where they had no pressure on them in dangerous situations. He doesn't stay close enough to the opposition and seems to lose who he should be tracking and yesterday he ended up having to charge down the shot because of this and it resulted in the equaliser.

I think our midfield could do with a good mix up, it seems to be our weakest point, yes we can hold possession, yes we can move the ball around but it reminds me of Arsenal last season, loads of short passing, no creativity. We should be playing Brownhill in the middle, he's composed, retains the ball, makes passes that split defences and has a good eye for the right pass. The issue comes with who partners him there, we need a strong defensive minded midfielder to compliment him, Pack could do that job if LJ trained him to which would then allow us to use our wingers/ natural wide players. Patterson is a must on the flank and we have O'dowda and Eliasson who are both natural wingers but with the slow build up approach, we seem to have adopted and the lack of a creative passer they are being wasted. If Brownhill was in the middle he would offer that quicker, more precise pass when we win the ball back in the middle which would in-turn allow a quick counter using the natural wingers. With our current set up our wingers don't get any chance to get in behind the defence because we have no killer passes coming from the middle to allow them to get in behind the defence.

I know I'm not a manager or a coach, I know a lot of people will say leave the coach do his job etc but it's very frustrating seeing managers like Bruce see a problem and make the appropriate changes to fix those issues mid-game whilst LJ continues to look confused by changing tactics or where the strength of his players are. A good example of this from last night was Diedhiou, all we did was lump it up to him and he'd lose it over and over, he got a lot of stick for that but I don't remember many passes to feet coming in at all and yet his strength and size allows him to hold the ball up well in those situations. With Terry and Samba marking him out of the game in the first half a change at half time would have made sense but instead, we came out and continued to lump it to Diedhiou when everyone else received the ball to feet.
I know there are a lot of happy clappers and the opposite on these forums but I'd like to think I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm happy with the desire the lads show, I'm happy with LJ's determination, but I'm not so confident of LJ's ability to read the game, especially when he was a midfielder when he played and that seems to be our weakest area.

LJ was a midfield master at 5 yard sideways passes, that's probably why he rates Pack & Smith so highly, rather than have the energy of Brownhill, or Joe Bryan (for whom in Kelly we have a strong LB option) in CM instead in place of Pack or Smith. For me we need one of them and one who can carry the ball forward with purpose.

On several threads people have said we need more quality up front, I don't think we do, we need more quality in CM to service whoever plays up front.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

LJ was a midfield master at 5 yard sideways passes, that's probably why he rates Pack & Smith so highly, rather than have the energy of Brownhill, or Joe Bryan (for whom in Kelly we have a strong LB option) in CM instead in place of Pack or Smith. For me we need one of them and one who can carry the ball forward with purpose.

On several threads people have said we need more quality up front, I don't think we do, we need more quality in CM to service whoever plays up front.

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. I do think we need a ball winning midfielder who is composed, I was hopeful that's what Hegeler was when we brought him in but he seems to be a CB in LJ's eyes. If he could have played that role I would have gone with Hegeler and Brownhill in the middle with Patterson and either O'Dowda or Eliasson running the wings and change the emphasis from just slow build up to slow build up mixed with quick counters on the wings. We need to keep Bryan at LB, he's good defensively and offers options in the attacking aspect on the wing, Pissano is very much the same so having those full backs with attacking wingers and a midfield pairing who look comfortable on the ball would give us much more option in how to attack. 

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

esterday he ended up having to charge down the shot because of this and it resulted in the equaliser.

I think our midfield could do with a good mix up, it seems to be our weakest point, yes we can hold possession, yes we can move the ball around but it reminds me of Arsenal last season, loads of short passing, no creativity. We should be playing Brownhill in the middle, he's composed, retains the ball, makes passes that split defences and has a good eye for the right pass. The issue comes with who partners him there, we need a strong defensive minded midfielder to compliment him, Pack could do that job if LJ trained him to which would then allow us to use our wingers/ natural wide players. Patterson is a must on the flank and we have O'dowda and Eliasson who are both natural wingers but with the slow build up approach, we seem to have adopted and the lack of a creative passer they are being wasted. If Brownhill was in the middle he would offer that quicker, more precise pass wh

You lost me there, mate. I was quite interested up to that point, but I really couldn't give a sh!t about Arsenal or any Premiership team so I have no idea what that reference is about. Sorry. Plus, er, Korey Smith is one of our best players almost incontrovertibly so. 

3 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

You lost me there, mate. I was quite interested up to that point, but I really couldn't give a sh!t about Arsenal or any Premiership team so I have no idea what that reference is about. Sorry. Plus, er, Korey Smith is one of our best players almost incontrovertibly so. 

I don't care about Arsenal either but it's an easy comparison, too much focus on side passes and possession which allows the opposition to get back and organised taking away the passing options. Why is it any time someone mentions the Premiership or another team on these forums people get so shirty, it's like mentioning an ex....
I mentioned Arsenal because that's what I see with us, a team with tons of potential, a team that can play nice football, but also a team that is so stuck in it's ethos and it's holding them back. That is the same situation with us, we're trying to play the passing football with a slow build up emphasis whilst every other team has more than one plan. In the full 90 minutes yesterday there was no change to our shape or plan until the 85th minute and by then it's far too late to have any proper impact, Bruce on the other hand realised his 3-5-2 was getting him torn apart and made the change which stifled us for the rest of the match. Yes we scored, but it was a scrappy goal and very lucky and we showed very little signs of being able to break Villa down all game long with no change to our tactics or formation to counter that. 

I thought the team played some good stuff last night and I agree with a lot of what has been said above. For me the simple solution last night was to take off the ineffective Smith who passes back and sideways most of the time and had that annoying habit of pushing the ball on top and replace him with the more combative and determined O'Neil. I know its early days, but does anyone see anything in Woodrow's game that is going to help us. 

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't care about Arsenal either but it's an easy comparison, too much focus on side passes and possession which allows the opposition to get back and organised taking away the passing options. Why is it any time someone mentions the Premiership or another team on these forums people get so shirty, it's like mentioning an ex....
I mentioned Arsenal because that's what I see with us, a team with tons of potential, a team that can play nice football, but also a team that is so stuck in it's ethos and it's holding them back. That is the same situation with us, we're trying to play the passing football with a slow build up emphasis whilst every other team has more than one plan. In the full 90 minutes yesterday there was no change to our shape or plan until the 85th minute and by then it's far too late to have any proper impact, Bruce on the other hand realised his 3-5-2 was getting him torn apart and made the change which stifled us for the rest of the match. Yes we scored, but it was a scrappy goal and very lucky and we showed very little signs of being able to break Villa down all game long with no change to our tactics or formation to counter that. 

I totally agree Spike we are relaying on dominating possession and quick passing through midfield. The problem is when we are not able to do this we dont seem to have another way to play . I really think we need another way of playing otherwise teams will stop us playing in midfield, making us pretty ineffective. Alternatively we get someone in midfield who's able to create something when we are under pressure.

Clearly Johnson wants to dominate midfield I'm just not convinced we have the players to do that. I wish he would consider going wide more to create space even if players are just making runs wide to create space in the middle.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Why is it any time someone mentions the Premiership or another team on these forums people get so shirty, it's like mentioning an ex....

Pretty sure it's not "any time", maybe sometimes, yes. Personally, because having watched football for 40-odd years, the state of the top division is as far removed from football as I remember it, when in my opinion it was better, and so - not getting shirty but pointing out it's over-hyped and meaningless to the likes of me - I mention that I can't relate City's midfield to Arsenal because I no longer watch top division games or highlights for the aforementioned reason. It's not shirty, it's just a void comparison for me. I can relate it to other Championship midfields because I see them week in, week out. But overpaid pampered pussies in the top flight I have no idea about. Your point about passing sideways is valid for me, but it's not the first time we've been guilty of that. There are only a few midfielders we've had over the years capable of driving or passing forward with intent - Hartley, Elliott, Shelts to name a couple. 

For me, the midfield suffered last night because of the timing of our substitutions. Bringing on 2 subs in the 86th minute meant our starting four were tired, plus the subs simply didn't have enough time to have an effect on the game. We could have brought the wingers on much earlier and attacked Terry etc with pace. I'm no manager but to me both subs were a token gesture, and LJ needs to rethink this side of his game management.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

It is early days and what LJ sees at training tempo needs to be analysed by what he sees at match tempo and pressure. he had the balls to re-invent Bobby Reid and I think we can all see that Brownhill will be a very talented CM and I know he will see it as well. Point very well made about the forwards and Diedhou needs service and that means width. If Brownhill comes inside that give a chance for Eliason or ODwowda to give us some width to help out the great full back we have. I think LJ's plan however is for a very mobile front 4 with Patterson and Brownhil giving the chance to drift and get interplay going. He seems to want to bring on width when the other teams tire but he left it too late last night. I think many are all concerned about Pack and Smith and maybe I am imagining it, but Championship midfield intensity has gone up a notch since last season. You have to have short burn pace as well as passing and tackling. Pack has two of three and so does Korey. Do we need someone who has all 3? It looks like it is Brownhill.

There was someone at Arsenal (Ramsey I think) who got played in a whole host of positions despite being a CM.

Wenger later gave the reason that Ramsey (or whoever it was) would learn from being in those positions and transfer the most relevant parts to his midfield play.

A season later and he was a revelation as a CM, despite being booed there before.

It is possible that there is an element of this happening.

Brownhill is competent as a RM, he does go forward, but not as much as a natural RM.

Some skills learnt there will be transferable, and he could well end up as the CM who pushes forward.

Whether this theory holds any water at all is to be seen, but that is the role I see Brownhill taking eventually.

Pack is superb. Never loses possession and can spread play like no other in our squad.

As much as I love Smith I do feel in the current system LJ is trying to play, Korey may be the weak link? It's harsh because he's a good hard working player, but he's much slower on the ball than other and his passing isn't exactly brilliant. It's almost as if sometimes our play is stalled when Smith recieves it. Having said that, he's one of the best in the league at breaking up play and he works very hard and there's no doubt that's needed. But I would be interested to see how we operate with a Pack and Brownhill central midfield, I'd imagine it would be slicker but would we miss Korey defensively. 

Would be interesting to see and I think LJ may give this a go!

The interesting thing is that despite all the complaints about the midfield there are staunch defenders of Pack and Smith. In amongst the complaints will be people saying Smiths actually good pack's weak or vice versa. I'd say they are both actually decent at this level without being spectacular. I actually think if we had two flying wingers in the starting line up and we're utilising them successfully then having two cm like Pack and Smith would be good.

The issue comes when we are playing narrower like VIlla and we need a more creative threat from Mid. I think that's why despite him being picked by some on here and by TV pundits as the man of the match Patts received a lot of criticism for his performance from some fans. Most of the time he was our only creative link between Mid and Att.  Quite a bit of what he tried didn't come off but he was the constant outlet going forward. 

I think we need to get more creativity out wide for now and hopefully, pick up someone a little more dynamic for CM for the games we need to be narrower and a bit tighter across the middle. 

2 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I don't think it'll be long before Eliasson becomes a regular starter, hopefully that'll see Brownhill take up one of the CM spots

Sooner have Josh central. When he moved central yesterday he nearly won us a pen (Terry handball). Has tenacity, drive and creativity. If we are not going to buy one let's move Josh inside. Smith/Pack away at Hull, Wolves etc is fine but not at home when we should be dominating and forcing the issue. Our formation at the moment is so narrow which is why our games are scrappy affairs.

I think our central midfield needs upgrading we need to improve in every department and this should have been addressed since our promotion. We need more pace, movement, strength, energy, goals and creativity. Pack and Smith are below average as a combination for me, they should have been complemented with some new additions.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Somebody on another thread suggested a midfield lineup of Eliasson, Pack, Brownhill and Bryan with Kelly coming in at left back.

Seems our best option to me as I feel Korey Smith is our weakest player right now.

Could definitely see some merit in that lineup and would love to see Kelly getting some game time. Would be bad for Joe overall though, I think he needs a consistent run in 1 position and there is no doubting he has turned into a high quality LB.

7 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Sooner have Josh central. When he moved central yesterday he nearly won us a pen (Terry handball). Has tenacity, drive and creativity. If we are not going to buy one let's move Josh inside. Smith/Pack away at Hull, Wolves etc is fine but not at home when we should be dominating and forcing the issue. Our formation at the moment is so narrow which is why our games are scrappy affairs.

Think you might have a point here.  It's might need to be a bit 'horses for courses', Smith, Pack and Brownhill away from home, or even O'Neil.  But at home Smith might be the sacrifice.  Of course this does demand that Brownhill influences a game for 90 minutes, and can be box to box.  There are signs that he can, but maybe not week on week, or depending on opponents.

Perhaps Smith needs a little kick of the backside?

Paterson seemed to respond to a bit of pressure from COD and NE's performances in the week.

Thats what we want as a squad.

21 hours ago, Huntstile Red said:

Pretty sure it's not "any time", maybe sometimes, yes. Personally, because having watched football for 40-odd years, the state of the top division is as far removed from football as I remember it, when in my opinion it was better, and so - not getting shirty but pointing out it's over-hyped and meaningless to the likes of me - I mention that I can't relate City's midfield to Arsenal because I no longer watch top division games or highlights for the aforementioned reason. It's not shirty, it's just a void comparison for me. I can relate it to other Championship midfields because I see them week in, week out. But overpaid pampered pussies in the top flight I have no idea about. Your point about passing sideways is valid for me, but it's not the first time we've been guilty of that. There are only a few midfielders we've had over the years capable of driving or passing forward with intent - Hartley, Elliott, Shelts to name a couple. 

Sorry, I apologise in this case, it came across as shirty and dismissive of someone's opinion based on your personal view on top tier football but it is something I see a lot of. I do understand what you mean about the top tier but the comparison wasn't in the player but in the tactics.
I know we've been guilty of it in the past too but that's when we've struggled and we'll continue to struggle whilst we keep repeating the same mistake, especially when we have the players to address the issue but aren't using them correctly.

20 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I don't think it'll be long before Eliasson becomes a regular starter, hopefully that'll see Brownhill take up one of the CM spots

I certainly hope so

10 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Brownhill played cm for a spell last season and teams waltzed through us. Can see that happening again at the mo. Not to say i dont rate him just that he may not have the discipline in his game yet to play in a centre midfield two.

In all fairness when he played there last season our defence was awful and whilst Brownhill is great on the ball he needs work off of it which is why I said we need a box to box midfielder. Either way, with Pack and Smith teams are still getting through our midfield and we have no creativity, I'd take Brownhill with a Hegeler or a box to box ball winner over a Pack and Smith combo any day.

I may be in the minority, but I rate Gary O'Neil. Whenever he comes on during a game He always seems to bring an experienced head to the midfield. He often sets up attacks with incisive passes. We need someone like him in midfield, perhaps partnering Brownhill/Pack. I think he is a quality footballer, and could well, given enough game time, become the Hartley-esque player we yearn for. Am I the only one who thinks this?

On 8/26/2017 at 16:07, tinman85 said:

This post from August- summed up Burton away.

The bit about narrow formation and scrappy games- perfect. Had a lot of scrappy games with this formation, the Brownhill Smith Pack Paterson 4-4-2.

On 26/08/2017 at 10:52, Spike said:

Korey Smith is our best player. And I really don't see how Paterson is a must on the flank - when's the last time he did anything truly direct or exciting? Oh for an Albert or Scotty Murray now...

On 26/08/2017 at 16:10, Dynamite Red said:

I think our central midfield needs upgrading we need to improve in every department and this should have been addressed since our promotion. We need more pace, movement, strength, energy, goals and creativity. Pack and Smith are below average as a combination for me, they should have been complemented with some new additions.

Pack and Smith did ok as a combination against Man Utd and Man City.  Wasn't it Pack who played that superb ball for Joe Bryan to run on to, and correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Smith having quite a good game too...

56 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Pack and Smith did ok as a combination against Man Utd and Man City.  Wasn't it Pack who played that superb ball for Joe Bryan to run on to, and correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Smith having quite a good game too...

Pack was too pedestrian against Burton.

They recognise that he dictates the play and hassled him every time he had the ball.

He has become a very good player but needs to do what he does just a little faster for our attacking play .

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Korey Smith is our best player. And I really don't see how Paterson is a must on the flank - when's the last time he did anything truly direct or exciting? Oh for an Albert or Scotty Murray now...

Paterson is a number 10.

He was best behind Reid- and more importantly, the side was most cohesive when we had that setup.

Archived