IGNORED

The midfield

Spike

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He said when signing from Forest that this was his best position.

He was and is very hit and miss when isolated on the wing.

Agreed and indeed he did.

The positioning of Paterson seems just symptomatic of the entire setup currently IMO- all a bit shoehorned, forced and not entirely comfortable or consistent.

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Korey Smith is our best player. And I really don't see how Paterson is a must on the flank - when's the last time he did anything truly direct or exciting? Oh for an Albert or Scotty Murray now...

Look at when my post was made.....

Korey has come on leaps and bounds with his passing this season, far less mistakes which was his biggest problem at the time I made that post. That said I'm still right about the creativity, we have none in the middle which is why teams who set out to defend against us often stop us from scoring.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Paterson is a number 10.

He was best behind Reid- and more importantly, the side was most cohesive when we had that setup.

Pstterson plays one good game in seven unfortunately Brownhills caught the bug aswell you cant carry two of them i like pack and smith but the whole team apart from kelly didnt turn up saturday

18 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Pstterson plays one good game in seven unfortunately Brownhills caught the bug aswell you cant carry two of them i like pack and smith but the whole team apart from kelly didnt turn up saturday

Perhaps not helped by the fact we play him out of position...

Similar goes for Brownhill.

10 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Only issue is right now that could highlight almost any attacking player we have with the exception of Redi and Diedhiou....

Hunt - check
Patterson - check
O'Dowda when he wasn't injured - check
Leko before he left - check
Eliasson - check

Brownhill may not set the world on fire at the moment but he's one of the few who shows signs of technical ability to play his way out of trouble and keep the ball.

Looking at that list above Patterson's still my first choice for a wide man in our current squad after Bryan. Hunt is showing signs of ability but his decision making is poor so he ends up beating a man or two and then tries for a third or fourth when he just needs to play the simple pass. O'Dowda was very hit and miss when he was fit, Eliasson just never seems to show any signs of becoming a quality wideman leaving Patterson. After Flint, Redi and Diedhiou Patterson is the next highest scorer and has provided more assists than any other player in our whole squad, he may be having a rough time right now but I still think he's the best player we have out wide and one of the few who will take a player on.

I wonder why LJ doesn't give space to Walsh, Eliasson and - now - O'Neill: with the first one in, Smith/Pack could have some rest, the second one could bring freshness on the wings (with Kent) and let Bronwhill rest (or move in the central area of the midfield).  O'Neill has been out for a long time and he has a certain age...but his experience could prove to be useful when the team must defend the lead in the last 20-30 minutes.

Probably they're not as affordable as the first-teamers...but if the strongest XI can't beat teams like Burton, maybe it's time to try something different...

6 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

I wonder why LJ doesn't give space to Walsh, Eliasson and - now - O'Neill: with the first one in, Smith/Pack could have some rest, the second one could bring freshness on the wings (with Kent) and let Bronwhill rest (or move in the central area of the midfield).  O'Neill has been out for a long time and he has a certain age...but his experience could prove to be useful when the team must defend the lead in the last 20-30 minutes.

Probably they're not as affordable as the first-teamers...but if the strongest XI can't beat teams like Burton, maybe it's time to try something different...

Hegeler too- if we change the shape to get the best out of him in the last 20-30 (example being putting him in his best position, between the defence and midfield and more of a cautious, counterattacking game. He's still injured though I believe.

Agreed though, we have a squad- we might care to use it a bit.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When all fit, what about- I'm talking next season in this context.:

Fielding

Pisano Baker Flint Bryan

Brownhill Smith Pack O'Dowda

Paterson

Reid

It leaves quite a few dilemmas though...still feels not quite right, not perfect to me.

Paterson instead of Fammy? I don't see how we could justify dropping our second highest scorer and highest scorer in terms on minutes to goals to Paterson. Fammy offers the height that Paterson doesn't, he offers the hold up play that Paterson doesn't, he offers the goals at a higher rate... all in all I just don't see how you can drop him to try and fit Paterson in elsewhere. Paterson was on fire in a wide position earlier this season, I don't think it's being played out of position that's the issue, it's the cahnge in tactics of our opposition. 

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Only issue is right now that could highlight almost any attacking player we have with the exception of Redi and Diedhiou....

Hunt - check
Patterson - check
O'Dowda when he wasn't injured - check
Leko before he left - check
Eliasson - check

Brownhill may not set the world on fire at the moment but he's one of the few who shows signs of technical ability to play his way out of trouble and keep the ball.

Looking at that list above Patterson's still my first choice for a wide man in our current squad after Bryan. Hunt is showing signs of ability but his decision making is poor so he ends up beating a man or two and then tries for a third or fourth when he just needs to play the simple pass. O'Dowda was very hit and miss when he was fit, Eliasson just never seems to show any signs of becoming a quality wideman leaving Patterson. After Flint, Redi and Diedhiou Patterson is the next highest scorer and has provided more assists than any other player in our whole squad, he may be having a rough time right now but I still think he's the best player we have out wide and one of the few who will take a player on.

I might be going mad, but who's hunt? 

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Paterson instead of Fammy? I don't see how we could justify dropping our second highest scorer and highest scorer in terms on minutes to goals to Paterson. Fammy offers the height that Paterson doesn't, he offers the hold up play that Paterson doesn't, he offers the goals at a higher rate... all in all I just don't see how you can drop him to try and fit Paterson in elsewhere. Paterson was on fire in a wide position earlier this season, I don't think it's being played out of position that's the issue, it's the cahnge in tactics of our opposition. 

Because with regards Fammy, and I know what you're saying- but we are much more cohesive, with a much better shape when we play with that set up.

It leaves dilemmas for sure...I still think Paterson marginally affects the game more behind Reid than he does out wide- yes he can play out wide and does that well too, but I think, certainly when we are back to full fitness, a way to move back to what we are best at- to move to the next level- will be our top creator in his best position.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Because with regards Fammy, and I know what you're saying- but we are much more cohesive, with a much better shape when we play with that set up.

It leaves dilemmas for sure...I still think Paterson marginally affects the game more behind Reid than he does out wide- yes he can play out wide and does that well too, but I think, certainly when we are back to full fitness, a way to move back to what we are best at- to move to the next level- will be our top creator in his best position.

I just sat and went through the stats and statistically speaking we lose less games when Fammy and Paterson both play than we do when one is in the team and the other isn't. 
Honestly, I don't think leaving Fammy out is smart because we lose our hold up player and Paterson is the main source of assists, I think both of them need to play, the issue lays elsewhere in the team. 

One statistic I will put out there.... Pisano, only one game lost with him on the pitch and that was Brum which was a very weird match, of all 10 of Pisano's matches that was the only one we lost. I still maintain our real issue is in defence and our lack of depth and quality there.

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hegeler too- if we change the shape to get the best out of him in the last 20-30 (example being putting him in his best position, between the defence and midfield and more of a cautious, counterattacking game. He's still injured though I believe.

Agreed though, we have a squad- we might care to use it a bit.

The only reason I find for these choices is the amount of players we have (ex: a lot of strikers) and LJ's need  to make clear his ''players hierarchy'' and tactical plan to the group, because making too much rotation could create a sort of ''confusion'' and discontent in some key players. 

Maybe this idea influenced - partly - the transfer window too, because we alreay have - on the paper - good options (Pisano,O'Dowda,Djuric, the midfielders named above) and at the same time, some players who are out of the project (surely Woodrow and Engvall). From a manager's perspective, having so many players to deal with can sometimes be difficult, and the arrival of a loan/young player (see the last three signings) can be considered less ''troublesome'' for the team dynamics than a permanent move of a proven player.

That being said...if the pitch tells you that the current XI can't play at its best, changes are needed IMO.

Archived