IGNORED

6 from 5

cidercity1987

Going into the International break plus a hammering of Plymouth reserves and an away win against a Premiership side.

What do you think then?

3 points worse off than this time last year with a much much easier start in the league is surely a cause for concern?

But is the oft repeated phrase 'we'd have lost that last year' true of our draws?

Are we looking at another relegation battle or mid table mediocrity for once? 

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Going into the International break plus a hammering of Plymouth reserves and an away win against a Premiership side.

What do you think then?

3 points worse off than this time last year with a much much easier start in the league is surely a cause for concern?

But is the oft repeated phrase 'we'd have lost that last year' true of our draws?

We do look more solid defensively without doubt, if we had that defence with Tomlin & Tammy on top form we would be right up there, but we don't.

If we maintain 6 points from every 5 games, we would finish with 54 points just like last season. This after spending another £10m so far (Diedhiou 5m, Baker 3m, Eliasson 2m), but losing Tammy of course whose value would have been £15m at least.

I feel like defensively we're better, attacking we're slightly weaker but we'd be far better off with a better midfield set up. Pack and Smith in the middle just aren't offering enough. Brownhill int he middle with a new midfielder who is box to box and composed and I think we'd see a huge change.

Consistency in performances , or otherwise the key for me

Less concerned about points return at this stage if the performances are consistentand there are obvious signs of development / improvement

Taking last night in isolation there were lots of positives and I'd rather see us perform well in the next game and lose than play abysmally and steal a point a la Brentford ( (As daft as that may sound)

The Brentford, Brummsedond half  and to a lesser degree Millwall games mean that the consistency elephant is still stomping about

In  the run of games coming up I'm looking for solidity and consistency as much as the points tally (Although at some point you have to pick those points up of course !!!! )

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Less concerned about points return at this stage if the performances are consistentand there are obvious signs of development / improvement

Taking last night in isolation there were lots of positives and I'd rather see us perform well in the next game and lose than play abysmally and steal a point a la Brentford ( (As daft as that may sound)

The Brentford and to a lesser degree Millwall games mean that the consistency elephant is still stomping about

In  the run of games coming up I'm looking for solidity and consistency as much as the points tally (Although at some point you have to pick those points up of course !!!! )

I completely agree. After so many years of false dawns I've become a sceptic when it comes to City revivals but last night we appeared to have a shape and style that promises well, and held our own against a side with everything going for it...Villa have a stellar squad by Championship standards and a manager who's been there and done it many times. I'll be more encouraged by consistency than a roller coaster ride.

Last years start.

Wigan

Burton

Norwich

Newcastle

Villa

IMO not a huge difference there between our first 5 this year.

Barnsley & Millwall are your Wigan and Burton, but a slight upgrade on both. Norwich last year is Brentford this year. People on here very down on Brentford because they have a small ground and aren't a 'name' but they have been very good since promotion.

Villa in first five both times

Brum is an easier game than Newcastle, we lost both by a single goal.

10 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

For me it all depends on what we get in our next two away games. Places where over the last several championship seasons we rarely get even a point. I would take two draws there but can't see it im afraid!

Away games will define our season, last season we only got 17 points from our 23 away games. 

If we don't improve significantly on that total we will struggle again.

Think our performances have at least matched if not bettered the first 5 performances last season. We were lucky to get the points we did against Wigan and Burton and Villa could've been out of sight at HT last season.

As has been mentioned we look much more solid though only the 1 clean sheet so far. Teams aren't carving out chance after chance though. Lots of positives so far I think. If Fam can add a few goals to the rest of his game, we could be a force this season. 

Desperately need some new midfield options but far too early to say at the moment for me. If I had to call it I'd say we are heading for a lower mid table finish again which as others have said with the cash outlayed would be a poor return.

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think our performances have at least matched if not bettered the first 5 performances last season. We were lucky to get the points we did against Wigan and Burton and Villa could've been out of sight at HT last season.

As has been mentioned we look much more solid though only the 1 clean sheet so far. Teams aren't carving out chance after chance though. Lots of positives so far I think. If Fam can add a few goals to the rest of his game, we could be a force this season. 

This is 110% accurate! I was about to write the same thing. We were winning games but we were not very good or convincing in those wins apart from villa in the second half. 

I think we have stood toe to toe with all the sides we've played this season apart from Brentford who I thought were unlucky not to have scored 2 or 3 more goals against us. 

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Desperately need some new midfield option but far too early to say at the moment for me. If I had to call it I'd say we are heading for a lower mid table finish again which as others have said with the cash outlayed would be a poor return.

It was six points i set ourselves as a target for first five games so weve acheived that target we have a difficult next five being on paper even harder so a good start so far bit disapointed freddie Hinds wasnt on the Bench last night felt his pace would have frightened there ageing defence 

18 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think we are an improving team and I feel that we are a better side than last year despite being lower on points at this stage.

We are only one midfielder away from being a decent side.

Agree with this. Plus I think with Taylor making a comeback, I think a partnership between him and Reid will be defining.

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Agree with this. Plus I think with Taylor making a comeback, I think a partnership between him and Reid will be defining.

Taylor on for the last twenty last night with his ability to turn defenders and hit space could have made the difference.

Hope to see him after the international break firing on all cylinders,hopefully getting a chance!

Look so much stronger defensively but the last two seasons it's been a striker which has saved us. 

IMO from what I've seen of Fammy, however early it is, he won't be doing that sadly. Pressure on the defence for once!

Games will be decided by the odd goal this year I think. Really hope I'm wrong on Dheidou. 

Overall I think the defence so far looks a lot better than last year, and I would agree, that we would of certainly dropped a few points this time last year in this seasons games played I.e. Don't think we would of got the last min equaliser at Brentford and also think Villa would of edged a last min winner if we played last year. 

Overall I think, we look a lot better defensively this year round, and it is great to see that Johnson has found what he believes is his best 11 rather then changing it every game like we seen last year, this can only benefit the players in knowing what is expected. But also good to see Johnson is still giving the others a chance to impress in the cup. 

Only major concern I would say is our attack looks a lot weaker from last year, obviously Diedhiou would be doing extremely well to fill Tammy boots, but also feel we may miss that little bit of class that Tomlin offered in the final 3rd. However saying that, I feel we look much better organised without Tomlin floating around doing **** all for the majority of the game. 

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

No. The Brentford game is so one sided that if the match is replayed repeatedly with the same possession stats x shots conceded the probability will be frequent defeat.

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

No. The Brentford game is so one sided that if the match is replayed repeatedly with the same possession stats x shots conceded the probability will be frequent defeat.

Very true in that game but Millwall and Villa would have probably turned us over?

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The Brentford, Brummsedond half  and to a lesser degree Millwall games mean that the consistency elephant is still stomping about

Agreed. If we're consistent within our performances, then the points will come.

If we're inconsistent, then it's an unknown. And last season could be repeated. 

Diedhiou concerns me. Looks a hard working player with glimpses of quality. But not a 20+ goal player. But with Reid in fine form and Đurić and Taylor to return and Pato chipping in, I hope we have the goals in us. 

We'll see.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

What do you think then?

The frustrating thing for me is that if Lansdown got his cheque book out and we signed three or four decent players we would have a very comfortable season. With what we currently have our inconsistency will always see us looking over our shoulders. So my view is sell Flint asap and get at least two of the players we need in. Then reassess in January. Also gIves the younger lads like Hinds, Kelly and Elliason more of a chance too, they can be blooded more if we aren't in a relegation battle.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Very true in that game but Millwall and Villa would have probably turned us over?

The Millwall game was far more even v the Brentford game. Villa even. City came back last season from two down v Leeds early season.

Which is why I was specific to one draw. Saying "we would have lost that season" ... Has no substance. Allowing the opposition x3 more shots x2 more possession will result in defeat frequently regardless of whatever steely / weak mindset the team has at that time.

I'm not unhappy about where we are.

There are plenty of positives as above and we have a big squad two players in each position and several youngsters.

of what s clearly LJs first 11 I am not a fan of Smith and Pack together in he middle and Fammy needs a goal or two more. I was very disappointed Hinds nor Taylor were on the bench, but we looked solid last night without finding the spark that would make us exciting!

Plenty of time yet and I will be disappointed with anything below half way and to be in some sort of contention for some of the season....  

• Admin

The absolute maximum permitted losses in the Championship is £39m over 3 years. My guess is that SL's plan is to keep attempting to break even on transfers each season whilst we incrementally increase our average attendance until we have a squad that finishes comfortably around 8th or 9th and then at that stage would authorise a £20-25m Summer window to really push for the Prem.

If I had to guess timescale, I reckon the club believe this could be next Summer but I think if the closeness to the playoffs in the previous season is a deal breaker it's more likely to be the Summer of 2019. 

41 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I think they are very similar and would want to play in the same space.

I'd agree there is some similarity to their game but what I liked about Taylor last season was his movement was completely unpredictable. So I don't think they'd be in the same space. When he played last season (particularly against teams that had zonal marking) Taylor caused havoc and pulled the defenders all over the place and making space for the other forwards. 

I still Taylor think he has something to offer but it's an interesting conundrum picking our front line at the moment. 

Archived